homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When...
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When if woken with too little sleep you find yourself subconsciously classifying those you know in terms more befitting Dungeons and Dragons (oh, my mispent pre-15 days...)

Tristan. 5th lvl Cleric. Lawful Good. (Subclass: Oxbridge Anglican Vicar)

Richard. 3th lvl Rogue. Neutral Evil.(Subclass: Financial Consultant)

Kessa. 6th lvl Scholar. Chaotic Good. (Subclass: Decadent Postgrad)

[Going to hide now] [Roll Eyes]

x

AV

[ 28. February 2005, 15:26: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...when the priest looks at the wedding party arriving on your wedding day and says "I don't often feel underdressed, but maybe I should have turned up as Gandalf..."

...when several of your friends habitually refer to you as "Dragon"...

...when you would really like Eigon to give you some more information about Re-enactment Days so you can get to wear the assorted medieval costumes, leather gauntlets and etc. that you seem to be collecting without really thinking about it...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I know which episode of Classic Trek the 30 second security guard appears in, too, and how to use an ahn woon, and if someone were to yell "Kroykah!" at me, I'd freeze.

OK, time for a quick test. How many of you can answer "Yes" to all or most of the following?

1) You've tried out the Spock Pinch.
2) You've been known to say, "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" when someone you knew walked through the door.
3) When really bored/exasperated you've muttered, "Beam me up, Scotty."
4) You fancied Kirk/Spock or Uhura.

On to Star Wars ...

5) You've greeted friends with, "May the Force be with you."
6) You've tried talking like Yoda.
7) You've tried breathing like Darth Vader.

If there's anyone who isn't guilty of at least one of these so far, I don't know what they're doing on this thread.

9) You still have a Tom Baker scarf somewhere.
10) You can still do a pretty good Dalek impression.

(Looks around the room ... yes, thought as much. Do carry on.)

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
when you sew your own home-made tribbles.

when your e-mail address uses the name of one of your favorite dungeons and dragons characters.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you can write using the tengwar or runes.
When you think "What would Sam Vimes do?"
When you are thrilled by Gort's avatar and know just who he is.
(and you bought Klaatu's first album for the same reason)
When your eldest son's name is "Elric"
When everytime there is a new breakthrough in science you think the world is one step closer to Cordwainer Smith's Instumentality. You pray for planoforming to happen quickly.

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
When if woken with too little sleep you find yourself subconsciously classifying those you know in terms more befitting Dungeons and Dragons (oh, my mispent pre-15 days...)

Richard. 3th lvl Rogue. Neutral Evil.(Subclass: Financial Consultant)

When you see the word "Rogue" and think, "ugh, non-First Edition" right away. [Biased]

When you built a Dungeons and Dragons campaign around the Beatle movie Yellow Submarine.

... And tried to relate the Sub's dimensional transcendence to the TARDIS'.

... Which was fine because the Doctor was also one of the characters in your campaign.

... As were many others you liked from any number of books, films or television series.

... Not to mention trying to make the AD&D (First Edition) cosmology make sense with your then-newfound faith.

... And coming up with a Roy-Thomas-style retconning/re-imagining of the whole planar system which would not only be Christianity-compatible (a la Narnia) but also clear up apparent contradictions within the existing system, without actually contradicting the established books...

... as well as a whole scheme for bringing magical technology to the World of Greyhawk, which would also allow for AD&D magic-tech super-heroes, but in the future lead to the barren world of Dark Sun, which perhaps the characters might have to try to avert, and so on, and so on...

... but never actually play any of this because all your attention is focused on the system you've come up with and then you realize you just don't have time for D&D anymore.

... not to mention getting almost all of the references in this thread...

And see the "embarassing hobbies" thread in Heaven for even more. [Biased]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you persuaded your dad to dress up as Dr. Who (Tom Baker) for a party, and when you lent him the items which you just happened to have in your wardrobe. [Cool]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can not only cite portions of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, but you have been involved in litigation where the other side seemed to consider them mandatory in the conduct of business.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
You can not only cite portions of the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, but you have been involved in litigation where the other side seemed to consider them mandatory in the conduct of business.

It's true! We use #33 as part of our rules of the household.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
OK, time for a quick test. How many of you can answer "Yes" to all or most of the following?

1) You've tried out the Spock Pinch.
2) You've been known to say, "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" when someone you knew walked through the door.
3) When really bored/exasperated you've muttered, "Beam me up, Scotty."
4) You fancied Kirk/Spock or Uhura.

Got 'em all. And you forgot ...

5) You can recognize and name many episodes of ST:TOS within the first few seconds of the opening scene.
6) You use one of McCoy's lines ("I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer/mechanic/psychiatrist/etc" when someone makes an unreasonable request of you.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sewed my own Tribbles! I made them out of rabbit fur. And I had a tiny little squirrel one.

And any society, such as the Ferengis', which thinks that the only good woman is a nekkid woman, is obviously a society after some fellas' hearts.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have a cat named "Spot". (Not me, a cow-orker.) I also know dogs named "Kira" and "Sheridan".

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you've gone too far in SF and fantasy when you understand every single one of the references on this thread... including the Dark Sun stuff [Eek!]

And then you wonder why nobody mentioned Valen yet [Smile]

--------------------
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it.

Posts: 129 | From: out there | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely typo Henry - is that an Orc who looks after cows?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
When your eldest son's name is "Elric"

Oh, I salute you! I SALUTE YOU! [Overused]

x

AV

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

It was not a typo. 'Cow-orker'is a term popularised by Mr Dilbert, Scott Adams. However, it can be traced back to Usenet, about 12 years ago.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As opposed to induhviduals, which I believe Mr Adams invented.

Hey, I've got an entire RPG system written that I've never actually played in its final form. Alas, most people stop playing RPGs long before they hit their 30s, the boring bastards.

Someone needs, desperately, to write a chatroom that includes a dice-rolling sub-app, with a GM mode that allows you to roll secretely. That would allow 'net RPGing across the globe. (eyes light up)

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Someone needs, desperately, to write a chatroom that includes a dice-rolling sub-app, with a GM mode that allows you to roll secretely. That would allow 'net RPGing across the globe. (eyes light up)

Why, do you not trust your players to tell the truth when they roll?
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Why, do you not trust your players to tell the truth when they roll?
No.

Hell, I don't even trust myself when I roll.

[ 01. March 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel - the only one of your list I can't say yes to is owning the Tom Baker scarf - but I did help to knit one.
I can do Ruth's 5 and 6 too (the 30 second security guard was in Friday's Child, btw. He even had a line: "Klingons! Argh!")
And a friend of mine made a large tribble that you were supposed to unzip at regular intervals to let the little babies fall out.

At the moment I'm periphally involved in a D&D campaign heavily based on Amber, together with two seventeen year olds who occasionally encounter something new, look at the evil gleam in the DM's eye and say: "This is something you and Eigon have read and the rest of us haven't, isn't it?" [Snigger]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...you start to hallucinate about it under the influence of gas and air during labour.

I was having my 3rd child, removed the gas and air mouth piece, turned to husband and said "I'm in Quarks" and giggled. The midwives were clearly not DS9 fans and wondered what on earth I was on about.

What was going on in my brain was that each contraction was my being tortured by the Cardassians and as it ended and I was getting high on the gas and air I was in Quarks - in a holosuite or something I guess.

Another thing, my favourite present I have ever received is the Bajoran earring dh gave me.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mathmo
Shipmate
# 5837

- Posted      Profile for Mathmo   Email Mathmo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
5) You can recognize and name many episodes of ST:TOS within the first few seconds of the opening scene.

Or, you can recognise any of the ST:TNG episodes within a minute (any part of the episode).

Alas, no longer... I'm getting rusty.

--------------------
I'm the fool I never, fool I never thought I was.

Posts: 233 | From: my own little world | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Scholar:
You know you've gone too far in SF and fantasy when you understand every single one of the references on this thread... including the Dark Sun stuff [Eek!]

Ah, but do you remember being taken by the Dark Mists of Ravenloft? Or sailing through the Wildspace of Spelljammer? Can you speak the 'Cant' of Planescape's Sigil?

<Oooooh! The nostalgia! I can almost hear the dice rolling...!>

Though I must admit I could never quite watch Star Trek in the way I did, after I gathered my friends and we sat down to watch for the first time, the last 9 episode arc of the final season of DS9 in 1999...ah, that was a good day.

However, for a brief while it led to the bizarre quotation, whenever any of us were going out to get videos/food/drink, with a forthright declaration, I must go to the fire-caves!

[Definitely hiding now]

x

AV

[ 01. March 2005, 12:07: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you see the words "That was a good day" and immediately add "...to die!"

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
after my marriage, our first two cats (alas, both now gone) were grey mouser and fafhrd.
edited to add, tsk! janine, don't you know david gerrold said that tribbles should always be made of fake fur because the first rule of the universe is "thou shalt not waste"?

[ 01. March 2005, 15:45: Message edited by: nicolemrw ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
Ariel - the only one of your list I can't say yes to is owning the Tom Baker scarf - but I did help to knit one.

S'dia shaya, vai domna!
stitchface
Apprentice
# 9032

- Posted      Profile for stitchface   Email stitchface   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... when you estimate how much damage you might recieve from a kitchen knife, and if you have enough HP to live through it. when you dye your hair white, get gold contacts with hourglass irises, paint your skin gold, wear red robes, and start verbally abusing your siblings. and when you start conversing in the drow language.

jal vin'ult lil orbb valsharess!

--------------------
"Tell a person you're the Metatron, and they stare at you blankly. Mention something out of a Charleton Heston movie, and suddenly everybody's a theology scholar..."

Posts: 23 | From: Ansalon | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

quote:
Originally posted by stitchface:
... when you dye your hair white, get gold contacts with hourglass irises, paint your skin gold, wear red robes, and start verbally abusing your siblings

Shalafi? I thought you were dead...

x

AV

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
... tsk! janine, don't you know david gerrold said that tribbles should always be made of fake fur because the first rule of the universe is "thou shalt not waste"?

Exactly! That's why I put the skins I had lying about to good use. [Big Grin]

That, and the fact that Rule # Somewhere-On-The-List of Janine's Universe is "Thou shalt have dominion over the Earth and subdue it... thus making a Good Steward-type use of fluffy furs, beefsteaks, burl-eye maple, precious metals..."

How about when almost all your (*ahem*) bathroom reading material is classic older sci-fi and fantasy, which you have read countless times before? Oh how often one turns to a familiar passage whilst... waiting.

There must be something Freudian in that. Or Jungian. Or Alien.

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During a baptism interview I was asking the names of the couple's two boys. The names came from; Star Trek NG, the X-men, Superman and a TV sci-fi series.
I was musing on how obsessed this father was (what was the wife thinking!!), when it occured to me that I had recognised the origin of all of them with out his having to tell me [Disappointed]

On the plus side, he loaned me a sci-fi fantasy book I had been meaning to read for a while.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you know how many days until the Hitchhiker's Guide movie opens (58) but cannot really feel easy in your mind about it because of what they appear to have done with Zaphod's heads, based on the trailer.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I used to know someone who called their son Robin - "because Batman would have sounded silly".

--------------------

stitchface
Apprentice
# 9032

- Posted      Profile for stitchface   Email stitchface   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:
Shalafi? I thought you were dead...

i'm not dead yet. "... give the great Par-Salian my regards... apprentice!"... i love the dragonlance books...

--------------------
"Tell a person you're the Metatron, and they stare at you blankly. Mention something out of a Charleton Heston movie, and suddenly everybody's a theology scholar..."

Posts: 23 | From: Ansalon | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janine said:
quote:
Or Alien.
Only if you have piles.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

The name wasn't Ripley fer nuthin'.

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... When you used to daydream about the Millenium Falcon coming down to land in your school's playground with every single SW character aboard, wanting to whip you off to a galaxy far far away, a la "the gang's all here"...

... When you still daydream about it happening now that you're at work! lol...

... When you made up your own character to fit neatly into the SW universe (Princess Leia's younger sister who just happens to discover before her older sibling that she has Jedi powers, thereby catapulting her to galactic fame somewhat prematurely [was twelve years old at the time] )...

... When you cried for three days straight at the announcement that Episodes I-III were being made: "But I'm not old enough to be in them!!! No, wait, surely I am!!! Oh, the inhumanity!!!"...

... When you could recite the dialogue for Episodes IV-VI from the age of nine...

... When you've contemplated the philosophies behind why a Sith's eyes bare a remarkable resemblence to those of a g'ould, and wonder if there's anything in that...

... When your day-to-day conversation is peppered with "Indeed"s, a la Teal'c...

...On purpose to see if anyone notices [Razz] lol...

... When you submit letters of complaint to the programmers at the TV station becuase they've relocated the timeslot of SG:SG1 without advertising the change (including in the TV guide - what cheek!) so that you miss it this week...

[Phew! Is that enough? No, wait, there will be more... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Stevie the Sacrilegious:
...... When you made up your own character to fit neatly into the SW universe (Princess Leia's younger sister who just happens to discover before her older sibling that she has Jedi powers, thereby catapulting her to galactic fame somewhat prematurely [was twelve years old at the time] )...

There's a name for that, Mary Sue.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When your son is jealous of you, because he has (still) not been able to see Episode IV on the big screen as many times as you did the year it was first released. (seventeen)

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe when everything on David Zondy's absolutely spiffing Tales of Future Past website is familiar to you.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jim Diariaze
Shipmate
# 7227

- Posted      Profile for Jim Diariaze   Email Jim Diariaze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
so says Janine, owner of Faster Than Light panties...

[Ultra confused] I would HATE to get THAT wedgie!!! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
My hope, my wish, my prayer is that you find the life that Jesus created you to live and has hidden within Himself so in living that life you may have a uniquely intimate communion with Him. (Col.3:1-4)
Yours in the love of Jesus

Posts: 390 | From: Augusta, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a name for that, Mary Sue.
Gee thanks, Trudes; vote of confidence appreciated [Razz] ..... And I was even going to complement you on your excellent choice of avatar and sig (nice juxtaposition of two fav sci-fi and fantasy universes, btw. The unity is pleasing [Biased] ....), but perhaps I had best rethink....

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When:

You wish you had a trans-mat beam in the corner of the kitchen so you could go to The Starship Enterprise and drop a paperclip for Lt. Uhuru to pickup!

The only guy you went to school with 35 years ago that anyone has heard of today is a Klingon by profession

You want to become an astronomer so you can discover a new planet and name it Klondarf-9&trade

You wonder why your car is bigger than your briefcase

You resent having to load the dishwasher yourself because Rosie&trade hasn't been invented yet

You regret never having met George Jetson until you remember you met the man who drew him

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

quote:
Originally posted by St Stevie the Sacrilegious:
Gee thanks, Trudes; vote of confidence appreciated [Razz] ..... And I was even going to complement you on your excellent choice of avatar and sig (nice juxtaposition of two fav sci-fi and fantasy universes, btw. The unity is pleasing [Biased] ....), but perhaps I had best rethink....

Damn! I've been waiting all week for SOMEONE to compliment me on the avatar and sig ... and I blew my chance by callously pointing out your Mary Sue-ism. [Frown] Mea culpa. And let's remember that a little wish-fulfillment fantasy isn't necessarily a bad thing!

--------------------
Books and things.

Shoehorn with Teeth

Laughing Vulcan
# 2420

- Posted      Profile for Shoehorn with Teeth   Email Shoehorn with Teeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
* When you look at the waistband of your underwear, at the "FTL" on the tag, and the phrase "Fruit Of The Loom" never enters your mind -- you always, every time, automatically, think "Faster Than Light"!

And then of course there are the initials that go around the waistband of "Just My Size" brand underwear.
[Hmm, whether to admit that this was a thrilling discovery...]

---
Shoehorn with Teeth
{who's in the process of watching all of B5. Again.}

P.S. TrudyTrudy, nice avatar and sig. [Big Grin]

Posts: 483 | From: crowded house | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

...when your children can sing the a cappella theme song from the TV show ALF, with the harmonies yet!

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
Originally posted by TrudyTrudy (I say unto you):
Damn! I've been waiting all week for SOMEONE to compliment me on the avatar and sig ...

Yeah, I kinda picked up on that in an earlier post of yours on this thread...... [Biased]

--------------------

Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkEnergy:
You know you have gone too far with SF&F when

And finally your fondest memories of fellowship with other christians at university involved two weeks solid role playing and your characters were Benny the Bastard and Baldric the Buggerer.
[Snigger]
I am sure that Karl the Backslider and Alaric can add more.

You know you've gone too far when you are overjoyed to see Benni (as I believe at the time we insisted you spelt his name!) and Baldric get a mention on the Ship!

(Which one of them was it again that conspired with a certain hobbit that the Mrs the Goth-to-be had as her character to take my Ranger's nice sword off him while he was sleeping?! [Two face] )

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

It was not a typo. 'Cow-orker'is a term popularised by Mr Dilbert, Scott Adams. However, it can be traced back to Usenet, about 12 years ago.
And, I believe, to an early word-processor hyphenation program before that.

My real typos are never that clever [Frown]

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When someone on the TV says "What do you want?" and you hear in your head Ambassador Kosh saying "Never ask that question." Bonus points for saying "Never ask that question" aloud using a voice that sort of sounds like Kosh's.

When you see a sign saying "Welcome, Newcomer," and bald, humanoid aliens with spots on their heads come to mind.

When you hear Steve Miller sing "I'm a midnight toker" and briefly think of the phrase "Midnight Tok'ra."

When you see the instance of Number Six inside Baltar's head and are reminded of the clone of Scorpius inside John Crichton's head.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Certain numbers have a mystical significance, too.
42, of course, but also
Number Six and Number Two(The Prisoner,
7 (Blake's or Galileo),

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016