homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: You Know You've Gone Overboard With The Sci-Fi & Fantasy When...
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
- when you order "tea, Earl Grey, hot" in a cafe.

- when carousels make you think of running.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin the Martian: when you order "tea, Earl Grey, hot" in a cafe.

Or when you read Moby Dick just because captain Picard likes it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
When you see a sign saying "Welcome, Newcomer," and bald, humanoid aliens with spots on their heads come to mind.

Or Visitors. "Let's all welcome our Visitors and Newcomers" in church led to the most amusing images! [Big Grin]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ken, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the website you posted on the previous page. i have been immersed in its wonders and delights for the past two days now.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joykins
Shipmate
# 5820

- Posted      Profile for Joykins   Author's homepage   Email Joykins   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...you integrate the word "grok" into normal conversations.

...you use the word "mundanes" or "muggles" to refer to normal people.

...when posting responses to threads on various boards about Your Brush With Fame, you feel the need to mention that your uncle is a Starfleet Admiral (true!!).

...you own all the Robert Jordan novels, even the 10th one, in hardcover [Hot and Hormonal]

...you read certain books and watch certain movies just because your favorite SF author recommends them on the fan email list.

Joy

Posts: 350 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...your first words to your newborn son were "Welcome to Earth, kid--the answer's 42."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shoehorn with Teeth

Laughing Vulcan
# 2420

- Posted      Profile for Shoehorn with Teeth   Email Shoehorn with Teeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...you're at no risk of having children anytime soon, but the name of a character who only appeared in one episode of TNG is already near the top of your list of candidates.
Posts: 483 | From: crowded house | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know when you're a Michael Moorcock fan when you...

...when you gasp in horror (which goes unheard in the music of the club) when you realise the person you're dancing with wears the symbol of their allegiance to the Lords of Chaos.

But you know that you're a true Moorcock fan when you...

...keep Stormbringer under your bed (though I'm not quite that far gone yet!)

x

AV

[ 08. March 2005, 11:55: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you have been reading too much fantasy literature (and watching too much "Star Trek") when you are wondering what you will name your next cat or dog and the following names come to mind:

Frodo
Sam
Galadriel
Aragorn
Data
Worf
Harry
Hermione

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worf would be a really good name for a dog.

If it was a really large and hairy one, you could also refer to it as The Wookie.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once met someone with an Irish Wolfhound named Chewbacca.

Timothy

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really? What did he name his dog, then? [Killing me]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pax Romana:
You know you have been reading too much fantasy literature (and watching too much "Star Trek") when you are wondering what you will name your next cat or dog and the following names come to mind:

Frodo
Sam
Galadriel
Aragorn
Data
Worf
Harry
Hermione

Pax Romana

Over on the "Children's Names -- What Were They Thinking??" thread,
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I met a young girl named Galadriel. I wonder if there will be a spate of LotR names showing up in kindergartens?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me: When I met a Ferengi at the Las Vegas Star Trek Experience I got all shy like a little kid meeting Mickey Mouse at Disneyland.

My friends B & R: They commissioned the guy who made the One Ring for the movies to make their wedding rings. They are engraved in Sindarin Tangwar, "One ring to show our love, one ring to bind us One ring to seal our love, and forever to entwine us."

Top that!

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
Me: When I met a Ferengi at the Las Vegas Star Trek Experience I got all shy like a little kid meeting Mickey Mouse at Disneyland.

My friends B & R: They commissioned the guy who made the One Ring for the movies to make their wedding rings. They are engraved in Sindarin Tangwar, "One ring to show our love, one ring to bind us One ring to seal our love, and forever to entwine us."

Top that!

COOL!

[Cool]

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:

It's the ears.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YKYGOBWTSF&FW:

You know the difference between elf-letters and dwarf runes and get really, REALLY annoyed when people mix them up

You can recite the Babylon 5 mantra

You know FTL travel is theoretically impossible, but wish it weren't.

Jane R

I plan to live forever. Or die trying

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoehorn with Teeth:
...you're at no risk of having children anytime soon, but the name of a character who only appeared in one episode of TNG is already near the top of your list of candidates.

Let me guess: Batai or Maribor?

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you've possibly fallen too far in to ever come out, when the choicest plum parking space at your town's historic City Hall is labeled "Captain Jean-Luc Picard".

And when they've put a lifesize cardboard image of him standing just inside the big glass door at the main entrance.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
YKYGOBWTSF&FW:

You know the difference between elf-letters and dwarf runes and get really, REALLY annoyed when people mix them up

You can recite the Babylon 5 mantra

You know FTL travel is theoretically impossible, but wish it weren't.

Jane R

I plan to live forever. Or die trying

Nah. You know that FTL is theoretically possible, but the energy requirements are greater than the energy contained in the entire universe, which is just so incredibly thoughtless of God when He designed the laws of physics.
Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Ferengi, it's not the ears - it's the lobes [Big Grin]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dad has lobes, not quite of Ferengi proportions, but good lobes. Anyway, when my cub was little she use to snuggle up on Grandpa's lap and stroke his lobes. This blissed out both of them and they would fall asleep.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
You know you've possibly fallen too far in to ever come out, when the choicest plum parking space at your town's historic City Hall is labeled "Captain Jean-Luc Picard".

And when they've put a lifesize cardboard image of him standing just inside the big glass door at the main entrance.

Why would he need a car? Surely he would just beam down to the City Hall? [Razz]

Very sad comment on my position in all this: in a conversation earlier this week, someone mutters "Revenge is a dish best served cold" and I automatically reply "... and it is very cold in space". Cue confusion from one party to the conversation [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... when you find yourself saying "Kirk to Enterprise!" as you snap open your brand new clamshell mobile phone.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
shalimar
Shipmate
# 3198

- Posted      Profile for shalimar   Author's homepage   Email shalimar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you join various LJ communities about Star Trek and ask the question - " What happened to the Borg baby Janeway and Seven rescued from the Borg cube along with Icheb and the other Borg children in 'Collective' (season 5)?"

(Answer was 'On deck 47 along with Naomi's dad, Seska's ghost and the spacial rift that gives the crew unlimited spare parts and Delta flyer parts...'

--------------------
Insert witty sigline here.

Posts: 250 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight, the ultimate example of having passed the torch to the next generation:

We're watching The Incredibles, and my 7 y.o. is entranced with the escapades of Dash, the kid who can run super-fast. At one point Dash is running away from the bad guys and comes to a body of water, keeps on running and discovers not only can he run on water, he can run faster. As Dash is zooming along like a jet-ski, my 7-y.o., literally squealing with excitement, shouts:

"He's like Jesus...in hyperdrive!!!"

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you are a true Moorcock fan when you cheerfully buy every edition of the Elric stories even if it is just the same old stories re mixed. (and of course- the eldest son is Elric, and he is blond! and pale skinned-but not albino- dammit!)
And
You buy every Hawkwind album available and even Mike Moorcock at the New World´s Fair album. (although it has gone missing- gnnnhhh)
and
You used to call out to a friend saying ¨Blood and Souls for thine aid Arioch!¨

You are a Tolkien fan when you have an annual holiday in the Middle Earth (September).
and
You had an ambition when at school to write your rune into every desk in school. (Nearly succeeded too!)

You are a Pratchett fan when you cuss in Pictsie.
Crivens! Here´s a heed full o dandruff fer ye!

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two more things to add to this thread:

You know you've gone overboard, etc., when...

The discover of the book Star Trek and Sacred Ground on the desk of a fellow seminary student provokes a strangely orgasm-like reaction.

While watching a Veggie Tales movie with your children, you experience a similar reaction to that described above at the revelation that Veggie Tales' next release will be a LOTR parody entitled "Lord of the Beans."

Some days, I think I really don't get out enough.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight I travelled home on a train that, Tardis-like, packed a large crowd of people into its carriages. Some of them inevitably got lost in the corridors. It travelled through space and time arriving 15 minutes late with a wheeze and a groan.

As I got out I looked back. Virgin trains are often named after explorers so I was curious to see which one I'd been travelling with this evening. I should have known. There in large letters on the side was its name:

"Doctor Who."

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shalimar:
When you join various LJ communities about Star Trek and ask the question - " What happened to the Borg baby Janeway and Seven rescued from the Borg cube along with Icheb and the other Borg children in 'Collective' (season 5)?"

(Answer was 'On deck 47 along with Naomi's dad, Seska's ghost and the spacial rift that gives the crew unlimited spare parts and Delta flyer parts...'

[Tangent]

I thought the baby didn't make it, when separated from the Borg ship structures? Like Seven and the others needed their regeneration booths, the baby needed the chamber it was being 'grown' in. Only that had gone, along with the rest of the ship.

I'm pretty sure I remember the Dr
saying that it died...

[/Tangent]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Shoehorn with Teeth

Laughing Vulcan
# 2420

- Posted      Profile for Shoehorn with Teeth   Email Shoehorn with Teeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
quote:
Originally posted by Shoehorn with Teeth:

Let me guess: Batai or Maribor?
Still reeling.

How did you know!?

[btw, it's Meribor [Big Grin] ]

Posts: 483 | From: crowded house | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
shalimar
Shipmate
# 3198

- Posted      Profile for shalimar   Author's homepage   Email shalimar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
quote:

[Tangent]

I thought the baby didn't make it, when separated from the Borg ship structures? Like Seven and the others needed their regeneration booths, the baby needed the chamber it was being 'grown' in. Only that had gone, along with the rest of the ship.

I'm pretty sure I remember the Dr
saying that it died...

[/Tangent]

[Trekker geek alert]

I recently watched 'Collective' and the Doctor removed some of the implants from the baby but didn't say it died.. I know in another episode where two Voyagers occupy the same space, in one Voyager Samantha Wildman gives borth to Naomi and Naomi dies just after being transported out of the womb but in the other Voyager she doesn't die.. might be getting that episode mixed up.

Anyhoo, it says at the bottom of this page, it tates that the baby was taken home 'off-screen'.

[end trekker geek alert]

Oh bloody hell, I'm selling all my Trek videos, I'm taking this far too seriously. [Ultra confused]

Help!!

[ 31. March 2005, 19:56: Message edited by: shalimar ]

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

quote:
Oh bloody hell, I'm selling all my Trek videos, I'm taking this far too seriously. [Ultra confused]

Help!!

Are you selling them cheap??

--------------------
Books and things.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got any DVDs?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkEnergy:
You know you have gone too far with SF&F when

You have 10 times more SF&F books on your shelves than you have Christian books (including all the books in the bible)

You have read all the above books more than once and your 'theologically sound' christian books have only been read the once and will only be ever read the once!

You can quote SF&F books more easily than the bible.

You're talking about me here - how did you know?

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you name your first car Bilbo Baggins because it was There and Back Again . (Hey, it was in the shop for 6 months - what else could you expect from a '63 MG Midget?)

You roll a 20 sided die to see if your son can go out with friends or do chores (and you gleefully win)

You go to a quilt faire and get more excited about the enormous lion sculpture out front of the hotel it's at going, "Aslan!!!" (Possibly soon to be my avatar)

Your son makes you proud when he starts a Tolkien Society at his school (and you attend some of the meetings and it's cool..)

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joykins:
...you own all the Robert Jordan novels, even the 10th one, in hardcover [Hot and Hormonal]

Ditto and, dear god, what a painful exercise reading that was.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now it's an endurance contest between him and me. I can grit my teeth and read anything he writes, so fuck him. The fact his twaddle is published, along with Clive Cussler's, is proof I can write that badly and be published as well.

[ 13. June 2005, 03:18: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mormon Boy
Shipmate
# 9409

- Posted      Profile for Mormon Boy   Author's homepage   Email Mormon Boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know you are far gone when:

After your first small taste of D&D at a distant friend's house, you beg your parents for a Monster Manual, Player's Handbook and DM's Guide. When they balk at the price, you spend days writing your own RPG only to realize that since you live out in the country there isn't anyone around with whom to play it. (spent a summer mowing lawns to finally get my hands on the real thing)

You receive a set of The Chronicles of Narnia for your eighth Christmas and stay up the entire night and read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe straight through.

You start for your school's football (American) team and you are also a member of the D&D club and thus spend lunches playing D&D despite the grief you get about it from your teammates.

You want to punch Robert Jordan for putting out his last book, and strongly feel that said book is irrefutable evidence of the decline of western civilization.

You want to punch George RR Martin for NOT putting out his latest book which is years overdue.

As you left the first two LOTR movies you comtemplated kidnapping Peter Jackson to force them to put the next movie out right away.

You have read numerous lengthy semi-scholarly works regarding the true nature of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry and discussed them at length with anyone willing to listen.

Going to The Encyclopedia of Arda for anything, can be a very time consuming task as you often end up getting lost in the articles for hours.

You know the family trees of the Baggins, Tooks, and Brandybucks, better than your own.

You wanted to be adopted into the Atreides family, and have tried to develop Bene Gesserit type abilities.

You are shocked to find that it is page three and you are the first to mention anything from the Dune series.

--------------------
For the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not

Posts: 139 | From: Charlotte NC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

... when you end every prayer with:

"Amen. And may The Force be with you."

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pax Romana:
... when you end every prayer with:

"Amen. And may The Force be with you."

Pax Romana

Oh - I have a variation on that. Throughout Star Wars films if anybody says "The Force be with you"
I respond with "And also with you"

It's the beginning of my Interplanetary Sursum Corda. (My own alt.liturgy which is too heritical to ever be used - in fact I wouldn't ever use it)

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
shalimar
Shipmate
# 3198

When you fervently scan Fandom W**k to make sure you haven't been mentioned anywhere.

--------------------
Insert witty sigline here.

J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
When you see a sign saying "Welcome, Newcomer," and bald, humanoid aliens with spots on their heads come to mind.

Or Visitors. "Let's all welcome our Visitors and Newcomers" in church led to the most amusing images! [Big Grin]
What's really scary is that as I looked over the old posts in this thread, I had this odd thought of two Visitors feasting on a Newcomer and one of them saying to the other, "Needs salt." [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..... when you include large chunks of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in an essay on Suffering for a Theology course.

..... when a mental image of G'Kar springs to mind every time your daughter asks for naan with her Indian takeaway.

..... when a picture of a dalek on the cover of Radio Times has you running round the house squealing "look! look! It's a dalek!!"

..... when you're going thru a box of stuff you left at your parents' house when you left home 24 years ago and you find an old hat with your name neatly embroidered in Tengwar on the front.

..... when you tell your friends & family that every race & culture has its own version of meatballs.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You heard about the "forced perspective" to make the hobbits look small in the LOTR films and the first thing you thought of was the home video you made where you got a 6" model dalek to look life-sized using such trickery.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016