homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Poll: Dress For Success (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Poll: Dress For Success
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, out of interest I did my own quick poll to see what the men of Oxfordshire were wearing this morning. It is a warm, very humid June day so this should be taken into account.

T shirt, rugby shirt, Fred Perry, other non-shirt type thing, etc: 42
Shirt only: 19
2 piece suits with tie: 18
Shirt with tie: 17
Jacket with shirt and no tie: 11
Desert camouflage: 2
3 piece suits, both with watch-chains: 2
Fluorescent overalls: 2, 1 with tie
Jacket only (no shirt or tie): 1
Shirt with tie around neck instead of collar: 1
Safari costume minus pith helmet: 1
Thick woolly sweater: 1
Tracksuit: 1
Tie only (no jacket or shirt): 0
Topless: 0

[ 17. June 2005, 12:26: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In London the wearing of Tie's seems to be age related. I notice few men under 30 wear one even those wearing expensive suits and who appear to be working at (or visiting) finacial institutions.

Whereas for my parents generation men would rarely appear in public without a tie (expect when playing sports or on the beach)

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, you give a whole new meaning to the term "pedant" ... and I love it. It makes me just want to go stand on a street corner with a notebook.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be in one of the 'Tie Central' parts of the world. The Isle of Man is quite famous for its banking and financial services. A large proportion of the working population is employed by a financial company. I was in town yesterday lunchtime and the vast majority of men were wearing suit and tie.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I volunteer several days a week for a respected charity-shop (nameless) and live in an affluent and alledegly extremely cool and trendy small town (nameless), I actually bought some shirts today for a few pounds each. They are all "young men's shirt" and good makes, so I am told. Some are apparently "designer" if that makes any difference to anything.

(The charity shop I work for gets a LOT of donations and I mean a LOT. Expensive clothes that have hardly been worn, recent books that don't look read, lots of academic books, the short of ornaments that you would normally expect to have to shell out £30 or more for etc etc, Violently fashionable CDs, Trendy reading lamps. You get the idea.)

The other volunteers and several of the female customers had great fun telling me what suited me and what didn't. At least they enjoyed it. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, I have some "new" casual shirts and a purple shirt which needs cufflinks and which may qualify as being what the Americans refer to to as dress shirt except that it is purple. I am currently wearing it, and a pair "casaul" trousers and, I have to say, feeling immensely silly...

Allegedly, most shades of purple, green and brown suit me and I should only wear black for formal wear. Also, I should apparently consider wearing chino's (I have never owned a pair in my life) and "young" cardigans but this is a step to far tbh. I also wouldn't wear a nerd shirt if you paid me.

TBH, a caual shirt with jeans and trainers is mostly about as far as I am prepared to go atm unless at a job interview. What I am wearing now looks ok, I guess, but I look like I intend to go clubbing at one of these places that plays dance music very loudly.

The problem with this is that I dislike dance music (to put it mildy), have no desire whatsoever to look like a chav on the pull or a yuppie at a wine bar and if I went to a rock club in current outfit would be beaten-up. [Frown] I am willing to make changes, I suppose, but this will take some getting used to, frankly.

I still thinks suits look dumb but I guess that I am in a small minority of the population there.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
Ken, you actually stood there counting types of shirt?

No, I mostly sat on a moving bus & looked out of the window. I also ticked people in the train & our office & memorised a few walking through the station & the street.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
Ken, you actually stood there counting types of shirt?

No, I mostly sat on a moving bus & looked out of the window. I also ticked people in the train & our office & memorised a few walking through the station & the street.
Fair enough.

I think I'm going to go out, not sure where but I can't be dressed like this on a Friday evening and not go out.
[Biased]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For interviewees:

Please dress according to the role that you are being employed to do. I do not mean working clothes for the role, but clothes that look as if you could do the role properly. e.g. do not turn up with highly manicured hands if you are going to be scrubbing pots and do not turn up for a receptionist post in a sedate organisation looking as if you were going to the poshest night club in town.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh can I ask some advice? I have an interview for a teacher training place on Thurs. It's going to be a hot day. So what is suitable?

And assuming I'm successful, and decide to invest in a suit for further interviews, should I go for a skirt suit or a trouser suit?

MadKaren

--------------------
--
Why do people who claim to love God embarrass him in public?

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
morganjlee
Apprentice
# 5680

- Posted      Profile for morganjlee   Email morganjlee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin Trudy, Trudy, has told me that she has spread my opinion of polo shirts across the Atlantic, so I had to read this thread. Congratulations Papio, long after the fact, on your dress-for-success story. As for my ten-year-old undiplomatic description of a polo shirt as a nerd shirt, in the presence of my polo shirted friends, I have to admit to looking at polo shirts just this past week, thinking, "I really should buy one of these, Trudy wears them all the time and looks so nice in them..." But I couldn't break down and do it.

As for Ken's pedantic observations of his fellow commuters. After I quit my job at a parochial school, I used to amuse myself playing a game I called "Mountain View Academy Dress Code." In this game I counted the number of people passing a coffee shop who would be dressed "appropriately" according to our convoluted and impossible to enforce dress code. I think in one hour on a Vancouver corner I only counted three people, and they were all Asian females.

--------------------
Official Disclaimer: My brain accepts no responsibility for any opinions expressed by my fingers.

Posts: 25 | From: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MadKaren:
Oooh can I ask some advice? I have an interview for a teacher training place on Thurs. It's going to be a hot day. So what is suitable?

Where are you?

It can make a difference. (Even within one country)

--------------------
Ken

MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

- Posted      Profile for MadKaren   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken

The interview will be at a school on the Essex coast.

MadKaren

--------------------
--

Posts: 866 | From: Jumping along the line between genius and insanity.... | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sitting in the home office wearing a dark-blue floppy shirt (for imperfect concealment of late-middle-age spread), a pair of brown long shorts whose pockets are full of a bulging wallet, keys, a mobile phone, asthmas inhalers, change and a spectacle case, white socks and dark blue sandals, I am appropriately addressed for retirement. We have had a visitor this afternoon ( a very proper "Book of Common Prayer" Anglican) who took one look at me and, without saying a word, did communicate that she thought I was letting the neighbourhood down. My wife buys my clothes because I am a fashion dyslexic - but has despaired of controlling the choices I make in combining them into an outfit ...

Did I mention the eyeglasses perched precariously on the end of my nose ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You had me with you up to the socks.

Socks with sandals?

WHITE SOCKS WITH SANDALS?!

Come come, surely you can do better than that.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:

Ah - when you said "teacher training" I briefly thought you meant a college where you were going to be a student, not a school where you were going
to be a teacher.

Wear whatever teachers wear at that school, but at the posh and neat end of the spectrum.

A lot of people would still advise wearing skirts rather than trousers for such an interview, and it can't do any harm.

I'd advise a man to wear a suit. You might not need to, but certainly keep whatever it is you wear neat and on the formal side. Slightly too dull is probably better than slightly too flamboyant [Frown]

In an ideal situation you would take a look at the place first, just casually walking past one morning or afternoon, getting to know the area, seeing who goes in our out, and taking note of how the teachers dress. Then turn up to the interview about as formally dressed as the most formally dressed member of staff.

My guess (& its only a guess) is that teachers somewhere like that would probably dress up a little more than they would in London.

In a slightly different context, someone who teaches computer courses for a living, doing a week or two here and there with anything from 5 to 20 in each class, once told me that he tried to be the second best-dressed person in the room. IN a jeans and T-shirt environment he might wear an open-necked shirt and non-jean type trousers. But if anyone at all was wearing jacket tie, he'd be in a suit. And if they were wearing suits, he'd get his expensive suit out.

--------------------
Ken

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
You had me with you up to the socks.

Socks with sandals?

WHITE SOCKS WITH SANDALS?!

Come come, surely you can do better than that.

John

Its true! Its true! But there is a "logical" explanation. Earlier in the day I was wearing white, blue and red trainers (with black laces) and a pair of socks were necessary. Later on, I just slipped into something more comfortable. My blue slippers couldn't be found so I grabbed the next best thing to hand.

Does that make things any better?
[Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Ah - when you said "teacher training" I briefly thought you meant a college where you were going to be a student, not a school where you were going to be a teacher.

Not quite, it's a training place based in a group of schools and validated by a university.

But the stuff you have written may well be useful in a year or so.

MadKaren

--------------------
--

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A lot of people would still advise wearing skirts rather than trousers for such an interview, and it can't do any harm.
Actually, with the possible exception of a white tie event, there are no situations nowadays where it is incorrect for a woman to wear trousers.

IMHO trouser suits are better balanced than most skirt suits, and don't become dated as quickly. I vote: trouser suit.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Prime Minister was absolutely pilloried by the press and the establishment when she wore a trouser suit to an official dinner with the Queen.

I thought she looked just fine, she's not the kind of person who looks good in a skirt. And it wasn't an evening dress event.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A trouser suit would look fine for most professional interviews.

Things for females to remember for summer interviews - always look professional, do not have lots of flesh on view (arms, legs, cleavage). If you wear wearing sandals make then close toed ones. The biggest one is to remember that you are at work/interview and not at the beach.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Hundredth and I will be attending a Buckingham Palace garden party next month [Yipee] . Along with the official invitation was guidance on dress code, and it does say that a trouser suit is acceptable for ladies. I am wearing a skirt suit (I bought it at Ann Harvey, paid about twice as much as I normally do for such things, but it fits as if it had been made for me) but Mrs H is contemplating a trouser suit (she has not yet bought her outfit) now that she knows the Queen won't mind. As she is arthritic (Mrs H, that is, not HMQ) and has difficulties pulling up tights, she prefers things that she can wear with socks. Long skirts can be problematic if she trips over them (and as she needs to use a walking stick, she sometimes doesn't have a spare hand to pick up her skirt) so she likes to wear trousers if it doesn't contravene the dress code.

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few thoughts on dress for royal garden parties:

The majority of female garden party attendees wear skirt suits/dresses. However, a small minority do wear an elegant trouser suit. From what I recall, the trouser suits tended to be in 'pretty' colours and many had elegant detailing (e.g. piping) that you wouldn't see on a 'business' trouser suit. There are some really pretty trouser suits in the big dept stores at the moment as it's wedding season. Best of all, the sales have just started!

I didn't see anyone wearing white gloves when I went(apart from HM, of course). Hats are definitely de rigeur but don't have to be as fancy as a hat for Royal Ascot.

Don't wear very high heals/stilettos. Court shoes or similar are much more sensible - if you wear heals you'll end up sinking into the grass! An umbrella is also essential if it's grey and overcast as there is nowhere to shelter if the heavens open (you could try competing for a space in the tea tent but, if it rains, it gets more crowded than the tube in rush hour).

Have fun!

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosus:
Don't wear very high heals/stilettos. Court shoes or similar are much more sensible - if you wear heals you'll end up sinking into the grass!

Let's be honest about this. The real reason Queeny invites people round to her garden is so that the women will aerate the grass for her!
Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Don't wear very high heals/stilettos. Court shoes or similar are much more sensible - if you wear heals you'll end up sinking into the grass!

Let's be honest about this. The real reason Queeny invites people round to her garden is so that the women will aerate the grass for her!
[Killing me]

No chance - we are definitely flat shoe wearers! It will probably be something from the more elegant end of the Hotter catalogue!

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

MadKaren

Almost anything would be better than the outfit worn by the secondary school head-of-year who I had to introduce today to a group of prospective parents. Short low-rise denim skirt, crop top through which her bra was visible, very visible tummy piercing. Clubbing gear is not appropriate for teaching, no matter how relaxed the dress code. Quite seriously, I now have to do a PR retrieval job as the parents commented that she was dressed unprofessionally, and her appearance was a distraction from the serious business we were there to discuss. It also made her look about 14 and therefore not up to the job; she's probably extremely competent but parents really do notice these things and make instant judgements. To me an inappropriately dressed teacher in a too-relaxed outfit does not say 'relaxed and approachable' it says 'unaware of impact on parents, and probably badly paid'.

Go for neat-but-not-stuffy looking. No spaghetti strap tops, ponchos, or visible thongs (all things I've seen on the teachers at my daughter's primary school recently, can feel myself getting old and intolerant by the minute.)

Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, I realise that a) I'm bound to offend someone and b) I'm going to sound terribly old fashioned, but why is it that very few British women seem to be able to dress elegantly for work during hot weather? On the way in to work today I noticed that about two thirds of people were wearing flip flops, spaghetti strap tank tops, very low cut tops, tiny shorts etc. Granted, not everyone works in a formal office environment but it really did look as though they were all off to the beach rather than off to work. I couldn't help but contrast the outfits with those worn by my London-based European colleagues, who always dress casually but elegantly in the summer.

The funny thing is that when I've copied by European colleagues and worn slighly swishy, elegant dresses or skirts to work, I've been much cooler than when I've been wearing strappy tops or similar. So why on earth do British women insist on wearing inappropriately casual clothing to work when they could look much smarter and feel cooler to boot?

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Now, I realise that a) I'm bound to offend someone and b) I'm going to sound terribly old fashioned, but why is it that very few British women seem to be able to dress elegantly for work during hot weather?

Because they aren't French, dammit!

quote:

On the way in to work today I noticed that about two thirds of people were wearing flip flops, spaghetti strap tank tops, very low cut tops, tiny shorts etc.

Sounds fine to me. I see no problem!

--------------------
Ken

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're in danger, Ken, of illustrating the old adage - 'For men, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be there'.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Why is that a danger?

--------------------
Ken

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be because there is a culture here in Britain of regarding the weather as extreme, and reacting extremely to it. On the rare occasions when we experience anything like definite warmth, it's all OMGTHERESABIGYELLOWTHINGINTHESKY, and many people rush to expose as much flesh as possible, because they can.

I can most easily understand this by my experience of genuinely extreme weather systems. In Canada, where for eight or nine months every year you have to wrap yourself up like a cabbage just to go to the end of your driveway without freezing to death, this urge is a lot more understandable. And may I say, boy, does Canada love its shorts in the summer. I certainly did, as a child.

Canadians are gobsmacked that you could be presented with an opportunity to wear shorts and not take it. "It's just a barbecue, it's very casual," they say, critically eyeing a perfectly reasonable dress. So incomprehensible is the unwillingness to wear shorts, that they may go so far as to assume temporary insanity brought on by heatstroke. If they have to, they will chloroform you to get shorts on you. They figure it's what you would have wanted.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, my gender forbids me swishy skirts no matter how everso cooling, so I make do with cargo shorts, worn canvas sneakers, Hawaiian shirt and ball cap.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
why is it that very few British women seem to be able to dress elegantly for work during hot weather?

As Telepath said, Summer is such a novel experience for us each year. Another reason is that in magazines and on television there are articles about 'office wear' for summer and none of it is suitable for anyone other than the office junior. It is certainly not suitable for a professional woman.
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another problem is what is available. In most shops, 'summerwear' automatically means 'beachwear' - so all there is to buy are sleeveless tops in very thin or tight material.

Dressed for work today, I'm wearing a long, straight, cotton lilac skirt, a long sleeved, very thin white cotton top (which I admit, I have worn for a beach, but then I never wear anything shorter than elbow length sleeves!), and a pair of lace-turquoise court shoes (thus avoiding my pet hate of office, beach or anywhere... sandals!). The 'smartness' is probably about the same as my usual... but if I used an iron it would help a bit!

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

Yep, you have to get clothes in the spring for decent summer wear. Or the charity shops, which at least are a little more clued up about the season.

I've been walking into work this week, in shorts and sleeveless vests - and a change of clothes in my rucksack. Maybe all the women you saw on the street were doing a similar thing; I know I would be too sweaty if I walked in my work clothes. As has been pointed out, these really hot summers are still quite recent, and not everyone knows how to dress for them yet.

Got a long print summer dress, and a jacket to go over it for the interview. Both black unfortunately, but some splashes of red for accessories.

MadKaren

--------------------
--

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Telepath:
It could be because there is a culture here in Britain of regarding the weather as extreme, and reacting extremely to it. On the rare occasions when we experience anything like definite warmth, it's all OMGTHERESABIGYELLOWTHINGINTHESKY, and many people rush to expose as much flesh as possible, because they can.

Ain't it the truth. You have the worst combination - bodies that aren't used to being exposed in clothes that aren't normally worn.

Mind you, it's just a local example of Britons Abroad. A few days ago I was standing at Athens airport, waiting to board our Easyjet, and watching the incoming lot, all pallid faces, and white, unbitten legs. Worst is women My Age who ought to know better - stretch capri pants and bulge-hugging top is not optimal wear for touring ruins in temperatures of 30+ (Linen shirt and full cotton skirt much better idea, and I have the lack of sunburn to prove it).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astro
Shipmate
# 84

- Posted      Profile for Astro   Email Astro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find a sarong much more comfortable than shorts in the very hot weather but I can only wear one in the garden or on the beach

--------------------
if you look around the world today – whether you're an atheist or a believer – and think that the greatest problem facing us is other people's theologies, you are yourself part of the problem. - Andrew Brown (The Guardian)

Posts: 2723 | From: Chiltern Hills | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Telepath:

Ain't it the truth. You have the worst combination - bodies that aren't used to being exposed in clothes that aren't normally worn.
I spent a couple of weeks in England in the summer a while back and was told there was a hot spell on. I had checked the weather before I packed, so I was perfectly comfortable wearing shorts and light tops and summer dresses in what to me was normal summer weather. But I saw an awful lot of sunburned, miserable-looking Britons who appeared to have run out of nice summer clothes so were reduced to cobbling together outfits from mis-matched items dragged from the backs of their closets.

Mind you, it takes a bit of effort for me to put together a week's worth of cold-weather outfits from my closet.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MadKaren
Shipmate
# 1033

Just to add:

I got offered a place, so something must have worked. God, I suspect, because I thought I had blown the interview.

MadKaren

--------------------
--

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm a swell dresser. If it's one thing I know it's how to dress. Just ask anybody and they'll tell ya'; I have stacks of style." --Stella Dallas
My fashion idol.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016