homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: I should like to point out that this is not "my busy time of year." (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: I should like to point out that this is not "my busy time of year."
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anybody else says this to me again I shall not be responsible for my actions:-

(1) It implies that clergy do bugger all anytime else.
(2) It assumes that all churches are the same. In Orthodoxy, blink and you miss Christmas.

What pet hates have you got that people tend to say? I am not thinking about Christmas here. That's just an example .... another good one might be ....

"Christians are not supposed to swear ...."

... and so on and so on ... [Mad]

[ 04. April 2007, 12:41: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It must be that time of the month again."

No, actually you're an irritating git all year round.

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Gregory:
It implies that clergy do bugger all anytime else.

I should have thought that it was explicit, not implicit. It's non-stipendiary Christians' busy time of year, too, but we manage to keep the sacred and profane going at the same time.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three words: It's. All. Good.

No. It isn't all good. There's bad too. Numbskulls.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If anybody else says this to me again I shall not be responsible for my actions:-

(1) It implies that clergy do bugger all anytime else.

How does it do that? How does having a busy time imply that you do nothing else? Most trades/industries have a busy time of year. Deal with it.
quote:

(2) It assumes that all churches are the same. In Orthodoxy, blink and you miss Christmas.

Could this, perhaps be, because no one else gives a flying fuck about Orthodoxy?
quote:

What pet hates have you got that people tend to say? I am not thinking about Christmas here. That's just an example .... another good one might be ....

"Christians are not supposed to swear ...."

... and so on and so on ... [Mad]

My big pet hate is that people just don't realise that Christmas is the busiest time of the year for us Christians and I just don't have time to do other things.

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It assumes that all churches are the same.

When you join an obscure sect, you are bound to be encounter misconceptions. I'm sure the Mormons run into the same problem, given how much they interact with the public. Maybe you could contact them for advice on how to deal more effectively with the outside world?

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fr. Gregory's become a W. Bush NeoCon?! Perish the thought.

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It implies that clergy do bugger all anytime else.

And of course you only work one day a week...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What you people fail to see is that this is a huge step forward for Father G. Posting in Hell about something that truly maddens him should be commended. In the past he would have started a passive-aggressive Purg thread that irritated all and engaged none. He has sworn several times never to enter Hell. Truly this is a huge step.

Way to go, Father G! You tell 'em!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the passive-aggressive Freg better though. It's more iconic. It will be the version of Freg that is remembered forever! [Overused]

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
Three words: It's. All. Good.

No. It isn't all good. There's bad too. Numbskulls.

Three words: I'm. Lovin'. It.

You won't if I knock your teeth out, put them in a pepper mill and season your large fries and McCardboard™ with them.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course Fr Gregory's het up. It's his busy time of year.
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, if the dimwits Father Gregory refers to in the OP had mentioned the Easter season (unwittingly including Lent), it would be a different kettle of fish. In my experience all priests, of any catholic persuasion, are run off their feet during Lent/Easter especially during Holy Week.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's up, Fr G? Did their eyes glaze over, and did they suddenly remember urgent appointments elsewhere, when you went into a spiel about the Orthodox Way? My priest is going full tilt boogie (even before Advent starts) and will probably sleep very soundly starting on the afternoon of the 25th. It's a little more spread out than Holy Week, but it goes for longer, too.

They're probably trying to be pleasant. Why not take it as is, smile, and say "Not really; we don't have a lot of the extra Christmas stuff in the Orthodox Church. Now Easter on the other hand ..." and smile again.

Mind you, if they say "oh you only work one day a week", you have my cheerful blessing when you sic'em. [Biased]

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) "I need you to..."

2) "Workin' hard? or hardly workin? hyuk*hyuk"

3) "What's up, man?"

4) "I know yer busy, but..."

5) "Just between you and me..."

6) "Have I told you this story before?"

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the best is "don't take this the wrong way..." followed by something patently cruel and thoughtless.

It goes hand in hand with "I was just kidding" which follows remarks that were meant in all seriousness.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qestia:
No, the best is "don't take this the wrong way..." followed by something patently cruel and thoughtless.

It goes hand in hand with "I was just kidding" which follows remarks that were meant in all seriousness.

Don't forget "With all due respect..." which a dear friend of mine often used to follow with "...you're a fucknuckle."
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qestia:

The cyber version of that is to say something cruel or nasty and then put 'lol' at the end - as if that makes it OK. Of course if you object, you are then made to look like you lack a sense of humour.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fucknuckle. I like it. I may have to steal it from you, grushi.

mine is, "I know you're not at work, and you're sitting here having a lovely dinner and wine with friends and discussing theology, but I just heard the most amazing news! The Government Has Been Naughty! I am shocked and distraught, and I want you to be too! better yet, drop everything, run off to work, and nail those evil bastards to the wall with a great expose! go on, I'll hold your seat."

[Mad]

my rule with my children is that if it isn't bleeding or broken, I don't want to hear about it. same goes for my listening public. only for the listeners, I mean it.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pootle
Shipmate
# 5928

- Posted      Profile for Pootle   Email Pootle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work in IT support... if I had a penny for every time I've heard 'this machine is going out of the window in a moment', I'd be VERY rich indeed!

--------------------
I used to have a handle on life - but then it fell off

Posts: 58 | From: Sussex | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
What you people fail to see is that this is a huge step forward for Father G. Posting in Hell about something that truly maddens him should be commended. In the past he would have started a passive-aggressive Purg thread that irritated all and engaged none. He has sworn several times never to enter Hell. Truly this is a huge step.

Way to go, Father G! You tell 'em!

All this is true; however, I'm just surprised he had time to make the post given the looming Holiday Season. I imagine it must be quite a lot of work mounting the incandescent Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer atop the onion dome, putting up the icicle lights around the icons, and readying the children for their pangent version of "A Christmas Story". Not to mention getting all the shopping, wrapping and cooking done. But I suppose working just the one day a week does provide the extra leeway.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh heh heh. You said "mounting."

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Shouldn't that be Ho Ho Ho?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
fucknuckle. I like it. I may have to steal it from you, grushi.

Steal away, my friend. Make a meme!

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
if it isn't bleeding or broken, I don't want to hear about it. same goes for my listening public. only for the listeners, I mean it.

Are you by any chance the world's least reactionary shock jock?
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A remark that used to drive a clergy friend of mine up the wall when he suggested that [insert name of church member] should do a task instead of him was "But [insert name of church member] has got a proper job!" The flip side of that coin is people who drive me round the bend by saying "I work full-time for the Lord", in other words the rest of us work full-time for Beelzebub, apparently.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
The flip side of that coin is people who drive me round the bend by saying "I work full-time for the Lord", in other words the rest of us work full-time for Beelzebub, apparently.

Well, you are a lawyer, Matt.

ETA I would like to apologise for having invaded the threads of this board since 2004, especially for the oneliners, 'but onelinering' MT surely is allowed?

[ 27. November 2006, 16:25: Message edited by: Mr Clingford ]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] Mammon, my dear boy, Mammon.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno. I sure feel some vague emotion here which could be offense. As per usual with Freg's threads, I'm not sure why...

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And ITTWACW.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hoosierpalian
Apprentice
# 11580

- Posted      Profile for Hoosierpalian   Email Hoosierpalian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a teacher of a foreign language which will remain nameless. Often when I mention what I do for a living, people tell me that they studied this language in high school many years ago, but have forgotten it all. (The insinuation being, of course, that if my colleagues were better at their jobs, these people would still be excellently conversant.)
I rarely tell my doctor, for example, that I went to medical school twenty years ago, but can't remember where my lungs are. Neither do I tell my priest that I read the Bible once, but can't name a single Christly miracle. Of course, knowing my priest, he might say, "Now what did you do that for?" but he'd just be kidding, wouldn't he?

Posts: 26 | From: Square States, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
wesleyswig
Shipmate
# 5436

- Posted      Profile for wesleyswig   Author's homepage   Email wesleyswig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll tell you what grinds my gears...

Church folk who complain:

i) When they have to get out seats because "too many"(thats a f*ck*n oxymoron anywho) people turn up. What cheek people have, don't they know we moan about having empty seats and we don't really want them full. Indeed they should realise if there isn't a seat free then they have to worship god elsewhere cause we aren't going to be that welcoming. Infact we're going to shut the door the moment the service starts then tut if anyone enters late.

ii)When people try to interact with a religion most don't know much about by saying something like "this must be your busy time of year". Through which, of course, they were showing an interest and vague nodule of knowledge about your job. Fuckin plebs, why on earth don't they know the intricacies of the faith to realise that people celebrate the birth of their religious saviour in many differing ways. What ignorami for even contemplating to give a hoot.

Regards
John

--------------------
"I am still a Methodist, You can never get it's special glow out of your blood" Ellen Wilkinson
Read my ramblings

Posts: 878 | From: Chained to my desk.... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosierpalian:
I'm a teacher of a foreign language which will remain nameless.

Would that be English? [Big Grin] I note that many young people have no concept of how to speak or write properly.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When hearing I have had kidney failure, a surprising number of people used to say "You should drink a lot of water to 'flush out' your kidneys."

There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't know where to start.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
When hearing I have had kidney failure, a surprising number of people used to say "You should drink a lot of water to 'flush out' your kidneys."

There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't know where to start.

So why don't you suggest that they drink a 2-litre bottle of water non-stop and then piss off.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite right Marmot. Everyone with more than one brain cell knows that the way to cure kidney failure is to whip them out of the body for a wee while and put them in the dishwasher. This makes sure that they get a wee rest, and are beautifully clean for being popped back inside.

If this doesn't work it is probably because they have used a rinse aid then they didn't need to.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Father Gregory, there is one are in which all churches are the same. Anyone employed by any of them (clergy, monks, Sisters - and yes I know Orthodox don't have religious congregations - laity) does not have a 'real job' and should get one!

To prompt them in that direction, one must remind them that they must not be aware there are more lucrative jobs out there - assume they are incompetent, think they are incompetent, or have no self esteem - well, the list could go on forever.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What pet hates have you got that people tend to say?

"Cheer up - it might never happen!!"

Fuck off - it already did.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lately, I've become quite sensitive to the words, "She let herself go."

I used to think it meant a woman who flapped around the house all day, in slippers and a stained housecoat with last Friday night's make-up melting under her eyes. Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

These days, it seems to apply to any woman who has carelessly allowed herself to become older, uglier or fatter than Kiera Knightly.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
quote:

Shouldn't that be Ho Ho Ho?
Quit yer pushin'! His beard's not quite white yet. Give him time.
Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosierpalian:
I'm a teacher of a foreign language which will remain nameless. Often when I mention what I do for a living, people tell me that they studied this language in high school many years ago, but have forgotten it all. (The insinuation being, of course, that if my colleagues were better at their jobs, these people would still be excellently conversant.)

I can't imagine that people are insinuating that. You're far too delicate. I'm sure rather that they're just embarassed they've forgotten it, but hope that the fact they once took it seems like something you and they have in common.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by grushi:
Are you by any chance the world's least reactionary shock jock?

ohhhhh what a tempting sig line... [Biased]

I'm in public radio. we frown on terms like "shock jock". more like "brainiac broadcasting".

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marmot:

I, for one, have earned the right to say, "Amen to that!"

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are the people who, when I tell them what I do for a living (psychologist), laugh and say, "Uh-oh--don't go analyzing me..." My stock response is "I wouldn't dream of it for less than $120 an hour," but I'm really trying to come up with something nastier before the next time (probably about three days from now, if the pattern holds).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
There are the people who, when I tell them what I do for a living (psychologist), laugh and say, "Uh-oh--don't go analyzing me..." My stock response is "I wouldn't dream of it for less than $120 an hour," but I'm really trying to come up with something nastier before the next time (probably about three days from now, if the pattern holds).

"I only analyze humans, not lesser apes"?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

how about, "there has to be some hope of attaining sanity for me to take on the case..."

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... or, "In the absence of some sign of brain activity, there's not much point".

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I only do psychiatry, not brain transplants.

--------------------

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about:- "Sorry, what was that? You seem to be talking in some sort of strange gibberish."

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Analyze you? That would imply something unusual about your personality that would require more than a cursory dismissal."

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

ananke
Shipmate
# 10059

- Posted      Profile for ananke   Email ananke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh those lovely work comments.

"It must be so lovely to sit and read in the peace and quiet".

It's the index, you fucktard, not 'reading'. If I'm to catalogue I do need to know what the book is about. It is also not peaceful, nor quiet, because you're too fucking busy yakking with the other teacher to notice the group of four boys pushing each other into the pile of food beneath the Christmas tree.

--------------------
...and I bear witness, this grace, this prayer so long forgotten.

A Perfect Circle - Magdalena

Posts: 617 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016