homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: American 'gun culture' - fact or fiction? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: American 'gun culture' - fact or fiction?
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tclune,

but I thought I answered that point when I said my culture is NOT supportive of random citizens shooting people and that anyone who did it would radio host or not be in jail promptly!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:
How widespread was gun ownership in the UK before the stricter ownership measures were instituted?

Were guns confiscated or were there so relatively few it was unnecessary?

Good information is available on this Wiki page. Approx 0.1% of the population held handguns before the 1997 ban. The figures for licences elsewhere on the same page show in England and Wales and Scotland total Fire Arms Certificates numbered about 153,000 at the end of 2005. That is approximately 0.25% of the population. (This figure does not include shotguns)

Basically people simply handed in or destroyed their weapons. The licensing system meant that the local police in each area knew who held handguns so people knew that if they didn't hand them in then there would be a police officer coming round in due course to find out why. The handgun ban affected only 57,000 people in England and Wales and Scotland.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Basically people simply handed in or destroyed their weapons. The licensing system meant that the local police in each area knew who held handguns so people knew that if they didn't hand them in then there would be a police officer coming round in due course to find out why.
Given our licensing system I cannot imagine how implementing that would work here.

It will be interesting to see if the 'gun culture' ever changes enough for a serious effort to be made.

I don't anticipate one any time soon because both sides are so entrenched but you never know.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
I think appearances can be deceptive. There is an ongoing debate in the States about the role of guns. Many people want to see tough gun control, some want a measure of control, others want no control at all. And then there is the gun lobby, which is extremely powerful, and lobby groups play a much more significant part in American politics than they do in British politics. On top of that there is the small matter of the Constitution, which was written up when America was still forming itself and fighting off the spectre of colonial rule.

The debate has been going on my entire lifetime and started before I was born. You'd think if there was a social consensus on gun control, it would have turned up by now. What scares me is the thought that the current situation is the social consensus. [Frown] OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OliviaG:
The debate has been going on my entire lifetime and started before I was born. You'd think if there was a social consensus on gun control, it would have turned up by now. What scares me is the thought that the current situation is the social consensus. [Frown] OliviaG

Gun control was one of the big issues in Eastern (and I suppose other) cities before 9/11 and all that followed took it off the front page.
Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shooting at NASA

Just to add more information to whether or not America has trouble with guns.

There are going to be many questions asked HOW someone could bring a weapon into NASA, and that close to mission control.

*sigh*

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Again, America is a damned big country.

I would presume that the NASA problem is not a problem of widespread gun nuts, but a problem of lax security.

If gun nuts were all that insane and that prevalent, the murder rate would be a lot higher than it is.

[ 21. April 2007, 00:14: Message edited by: mirrizin ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It will be interesting to see if the 'gun culture' ever changes enough for a serious effort to be made.

I don't anticipate one any time soon because both sides are so entrenched but you never know.

Actually, there have been more than two sides discussed on this thread. Some of us acknowledge a serious gun "problem" and some of us acknowledge a regional or other kind of culture. So it's not totally a polatized thread.

But the discussion in the middle of the continuum hasn't really been heard amid the reactive back and forth. That's too bad because polarization and highly emotional responses based on annecdotal reports prevents any productive discussion from happening.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
How widespread was gun ownership in the UK before the stricter ownership measures were instituted?

Were guns confiscated or were there so relatively few it was unnecessary?

Good information is available on this Wiki page. Approx 0.1% of the population held handguns before the 1997 ban. The figures for licences elsewhere on the same page show in England and Wales and Scotland total Fire Arms Certificates numbered about 153,000 at the end of 2005. That is approximately 0.25% of the population. (This figure does not include shotguns)

Basically people simply handed in or destroyed their weapons. The licensing system meant that the local police in each area knew who held handguns so people knew that if they didn't hand them in then there would be a police officer coming round in due course to find out why. The handgun ban affected only 57,000 people in England and Wales and Scotland.

Yeah. Threads like this make me realise that, on the whole, us Brits are much less suspicous of government then Americans are (which isn't to say that we ever envied the Soviet Bloc) and much more supicious of "American-style" individualism (which isn't to say that Americans want to see the poor starve in the gutter). There are important differences between how an average, stereotypical Brit and an average, stereotypical American see the world. There are important differences in how and what Britains and Americans regard as a decent, fair, stable, well-ordered society. There are internal disputes in both nations as well, of course.

And that's cool. It would be boring if we were all the same.

Me? Even if I could stroll into Woolworths today and get a gun for a fiver, I wouldn't. Not today or ever. And I wouldn't want a gun in my home. Period/Full Stop.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the discussion in the middle of the continuum hasn't really been heard amid the reactive back and forth. That's too bad because polarization and highly emotional responses based on annecdotal reports prevents any productive discussion from happening.

Agreed. I was referring to the 'powers that be' sides in this country, such as the NRA and the anti-gun organizations.

If only they could have the generally reasonable debate you see here.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Even if I could stroll into Woolworths today and get a gun for a fiver, I wouldn't. Not today or ever. And I wouldn't want a gun in my home. Period/Full Stop.

Whereas I'd love to own one. There's a gun shop just down the road from where I live and I'm oh-so-tempted to walk in and find out what's on offer. But I know I just can't afford to buy one. I love shooting, even though I'm still useless at it (though I do manage to get a fab bruise on my shoulder every time I go, which isn't often enough to remember to bring some padding with me!). I enjoy the whole 'aim, fire, hit' thing. If handguns were still available in the UK, I'd probably be down at a shooting range missing the target on a regular basis.

I could never imagine myself shooting a living thing, though. Perhaps if I was on the edge of starvation in a wilderness with no local Tesco I could do it, but other than that it has to be inanimate objects for me. I still can't figure out why some people actually enjoy hunting, even after having endless discussions with Americans who routinely hunt. It's one thing to hunt for food out of necessity; another entirely to do it for sport and while I wouldn't dream of stopping hunting (it's needed in order to control animal populations or pests) I don't think I'll ever 'get it'.

Whether or not, if I owned a gun and it was stored in my home, I would be tempted to use my gun on someone who was about to do me or my loved ones serious harm I just don't know. I've never been in that position. I would imagine in the UK the greater danger to home ownership of a gun is it being stolen.

As it is, I have a hammer beside my bed instead, since I live alone. Much use that would be but it makes me feel better! I can certainly understand the story told earlier of the woman who had been raped purchasing a gun. It may be a false sense of security but when alone it can still make a person feel better to have something nearby that they believe (maybe mythically) would offer some form of protection in a terrifying moment.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
That's too bad because polarization and highly emotional responses based on annecdotal reports prevents any productive discussion from happening.

Sabine, I disagree really. Most of the contributors to this thread have been Americans and Brits, and I really think you couldn't get two more diverse stands on the issue of guns in the world. We're just at two totally opposite starting points. Given that reality the discussion on here I think has been interesting and informative.

I'm a bit unusual as a Brit because my year in America enabled me to understand where Americans (of all political shades) are coming from on this issue. It helped that I began as someone pro-American and inquisitive - I asked lots of questions and challenged strongly during discussion (mostly with gun-owning, hunting men!). It's perfectly possible to appreciate the opposite view but it takes a long time for people from different ends of the spectrum to reach that position, IMO. To then move on to a discussion about how to tackle the problems arising from gun abuse (on either side of the Atlantic, as it's increasing here) is going to take more than a few pages of a thread on the Ship to achieve!

Also, I think anecdotal reports are actually very relevant to this particular debate since the OP referred to a perception - of America being a gun culture. We can all cite stats and expert opinion to our hearts content but when we are dealing with perceptions then these are based very much upon individual subjective experience. If such is devalued then how can the two overall positions (plus the variations represented within those positions) ever be understood? But perhaps I am missing your point.

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Sabine, to be so anecdotal, but this story is just too wonderful to let pass! There's your American gun culture -- what could be more American than an octogenarian beauty queen with a walker and a snub-nose foiling crime!

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

Great story Tom. [Big Grin]

Her closing statement made me smile:

quote:
"I'm trying to live a quiet, peaceful life and stay out of trouble, and all it is, is one thing after another," she said.
I can just imagine her eye roll!

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think we really are polarized between Americans and Brits though, Littlelady. I'm an American who thinks we don't have a gun culture, as is Sabine (I think?) but tclune is I think American and he says we do. Papio's a Brit who wants nothing to do with guns while you're a Brit who enjoys them.

ETA: tclune, just note that the shooting old beauty queen thing happenned in Kentucky which I am quite happy to believe has a gunculture, and if I understand her correctly, sabine might be also.

[ 21. April 2007, 13:44: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

Gwai, I guess I was thinking of cultural starting points rather than individual views, but I agree that various shades of opinion are represented on here. However, so far as I can see the diversity is mainly represented by the American contingent. If I was to leave the discussion, I am fairly certain other British contributors would feel similar to Papio or Emma or Karl.

It is, of course, interesting to note that while the majority of Brits think guns are basically evil things and should be strictly controlled (if not totally banned), the people many Brits believe unanimously love their guns are expressing diverse opinion. That doesn't surprise me, but I wonder how many others have noticed it?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

If other Brits will notice it and accept that we're diverse, I'll be content.

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think all Americans love guns. I think the overwhelming majority of conservative, right-wing Americans love guns with far fewer liberals loving them.

There are people on the ship who I like who have guns. But, you know, no guns in my home or on my land, under any circumstances, end of story.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, there have been more than two sides discussed on this thread. Some of us acknowledge a serious gun "problem" and some of us acknowledge a regional or other kind of culture. So it's not totally a polatized thread.

sabine

I don't mind the anecdotes; what gets me is the refusal to listen to other points of view. We've been told, point blank, that we all do live in a "gun culture," no matter what we see with our own eyes, or how the people we know live! It's ridiculous.

IOW, our anecdotes don't count; only the "gun culture" anecdotes matter, because there's a point to prove. We all admit that there are some areas in the U.S. that have a "gun culture"; what gets me is the absolute refusal to acknowledge that there are some that don't.

But perhaps we should start a different thread to talk about gun control and/or other solutions; the ideology here is set in concrete and it's not going to change.

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
I don't think all Americans love guns. I think the overwhelming majority of conservative, right-wing Americans love guns with far fewer liberals loving them.

I'm not sure about that, Papio. I think you may be conflating characteristics. The hunters I met were a mix politically, yet they would have fought long and hard to keep their right to own a gun. My then boyfriend adored Margaret Thatcher and he hated guns, as did one of the republican women I befriended while over there. The friends who had the shooting party were all lifelong democrats yet they were content to have a measure of gun control brought in. They didn't want to surrender their guns but they were happy to have their availability controlled. I think the situation is far more complex than politics alone, but that's just an English view.

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirrum:
But perhaps we should start a different thread to talk about gun control and/or other solutions; the ideology here is set in concrete and it's not going to change.

Huh?

Personally, I don't believe America is a gun culture. I do believe there is a gun culture within America, however, just as I believe there is one within the UK and other countries too. I think gun cultures are those countries that reach for their gun and fire them off in the street when they celebrate something or get pissed off at something (or basically for any reason at all). America isn't remotely like that.

[ 21. April 2007, 14:45: Message edited by: Littlelady ]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

*resists...urge...to...insult...Margaret...Thatcher* [Big Grin]

Probably true, Littlelady. I'm just going on subjective impressions based on probably-not-very-accurate TV programmes.

I think you right that a large majority of British people hate guns and that a large majority of Brits also think that the attitude of the American pro-gun lobby is more than somewhat foolhardy.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
I don't mind the anecdotes; what gets me is the refusal to listen to other points of view. We've been told, point blank, that we all do live in a "gun culture," no matter what we see with our own eyes, or how the people we know live! It's ridiculous.

IOW, our anecdotes don't count; only the "gun culture" anecdotes matter, because there's a point to prove. We all admit that there are some areas in the U.S. that have a "gun culture"; what gets me is the absolute refusal to acknowledge that there are some that don't.

Let me say that I recognize that some people in this country have not had the gun culture be a significant part of their growing up. Further, I believe that the percentage of such people is increasing over time -- just as smoking became socially reviled before it was actually outlawed in most places, guns are going through a similar shunning by a growing portion of the American population (although we're still pretty early in that cycle, hunting is becoming rare enough in the eastern US that deer are becoming a serious problem, for example.)

Having said all that, there are very few things that I can think of that are so characteristic of such a large swath of American males as our having been brought up with guns as a formative part of our experience. Cars, sports, and church pretty much exhaust the list of other cultural icons of comparable scope.

I find Sabine's notion that every single person in the country must partake in order for something to be part of the American culture not just wrong-headed but absurd. By that notion, culture could not possibly exist on anything larger than the family level.

I have NEVER suggested or thought that every person in the country underwent anything comparable to my cultural experience with guns. I do not deny your experience, and I do not doubt your anecdotes. But it is a straw man to suggest that "culture" only applies to experience universally shared by every single person in the country. I DO believe that my experience was shared, with appropriate individual variation, by the vast majority of males my age or older, from coast to coast. That's pretty compelling as a national culture to my eyes.

--Tom Clune

ETA: the editing got screwed up. Sorry for the two versions...

[so I got rid of the bad one, just to avoid confusion - John]

[ 21. April 2007, 19:51: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
a large majority of Brits also think that the attitude of the American pro-gun lobby is more than somewhat foolhardy.
If we add 'some reasonably well-informed Americans are constrained by whatever logic they can muster to acknowledge the near impossibility of doing anything remotely effective to get rid of guns in America', we may be able to put this thing to rest. [Biased]

And the gun control thread idea is a good one if any one has any motivation left...

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
*resists...urge...to...insult...Margaret...Thatcher* [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

It would have been fascinating to hear him and you in conversation: he was a convinced libertarian as well. Oh what fun that would have been! [Biased]

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I don't believe America is a gun culture. I do believe there is a gun culture within America, however, just as I believe there is one within the UK and other countries too. I think gun cultures are those countries that reach for their gun and fire them off in the street when they celebrate something or get pissed off at something (or basically for any reason at all). America isn't remotely like that.

[Eek!] Well, my little part of it can resemble that description at times, although they do it in their back yards rather than out on the street. TBTG that the local celebratory excesses are usually confined to New Year's Eve. (It tends to happen when people are drinking - booze and guns are a *bad* *bad* combo.)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
I DO believe that my experience was shared, with appropriate individual variation, by the vast majority of males my age or older, from coast to coast. That's pretty compelling as a national culture to my eyes.

--Tom Clune

The keywords there are "I believe" - which have no bearing on what actually is happening, or has happened.
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:

[Eek!] Well, my little part of it can resemble that description at times, although they do it in their back yards rather than out on the street. TBTG that the local celebratory excesses are usually confined to New Year's Eve. (It tends to happen when people are drinking - booze and guns are a *bad* *bad* combo.)
[Big Grin] Well there you go then! There is a gun culture within America! [Biased]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
TBTG

I'm probably dense, but I can't work this one out.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirrum:

Huh?

Sorry. I didn't mean you, Littlelady.

I was referring to those on this thread who extrapolate from their own experience to "prove" us wrong about what we actually see and know. The point is apparently so important to them that all objectivity has been lost, and they won't listen to other voices.

So, I just suggested leaving them to have this thread and starting another on "solutions" - which is really not the topic here anyway. I still don't quite know what this thread is for, since many people seem bound and determined to come to a pre-ordained conclusion, but that's something we've already talked about here.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
TBTG

What about 'Thanks be to God'?

[ETA: The shooters are denser.]

[ 21. April 2007, 15:25: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:
TBTG

Thanks be to God? Just a guess ...

quote:
Originally posted by Tubimirum:
Sorry. I didn't mean you, Littlelady.

No worries. [Smile]

quote:
I still don't quite know what this thread is for, since many people seem bound and determined to come to a pre-ordained conclusion
Challenging and discussing those pre-ordained conclusions?

Selfishly, I've found the thread really interesting as it has been dealing in perceptions rather than stats. I have found it intriguing to learn how Americans perceive themselves in this context. Although I've spent time in the States and discussed guns endlessly with Americans, it was always me -v- you guys if you like until I began to get a handle on the American perspective. Then, of course, I found out I really enjoyed shooting! So since then I've been having endless discussions with Brits ... [Biased]

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
quote:
I still don't quite know what this thread is for, since many people seem bound and determined to come to a pre-ordained conclusion
Challenging and discussing those pre-ordained conclusions?
Well, maybe. But in that case, it doesn't seem to be working. [Biased]

quote:
Selfishly, I've found the thread really interesting as it has been dealing in perceptions rather than stats. I have found it intriguing to learn how Americans perceive themselves in this context. Although I've spent time in the States and discussed guns endlessly with Americans, it was always me -v- you guys if you like until I began to get a handle on the American perspective. Then, of course, I found out I really enjoyed shooting! So since then I've been having endless discussions with Brits ... [Biased]
I agree that it's interesting - once a person gives up on actually trying to communicate her point of view. [Biased]

I totally disagree with tclune, for instance, that playing cowboys and soldiers when you're young constitutes a "gun culture." They were games, and mostly based in history as a matter of fact. My father fought in WWII - but we never had a gun in the house and they just weren't part of our lives in any big way. The emphasis was on obeying authority and school. I shot rifles at camp - bows and arrows, too, and I rode horses. Are we a "horse culture," then?

I used to imagine I was Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt, and went to the local parks to find good wood to make bows and arrows. Does this mean I'm irretrievably violent? Does it mean we live in a "Greek God" culture, or a "bow and arrow" culture, or even in a "hunting culture"? Well, all I can say is that I don't.

(We also played out the story of Jesus Christ when I was a kid, BTW. I guess that makes us a "healing the sick" and a "crucifixion culture," too.)

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Oh. yes. It must be. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] Well there you go then! There is a gun culture within America! [Biased]
Many of them, as it happens! Big place, don't you know [Biased] .

There's a heavy immigrant population in my nabe, although most of the problems seem to be with native-born Urban Yoot and their older-but-no-wiser counterparts.

As a calibration, my 6'4" burly brother was a bit skeered to be down here when he was in kollidge (when it was very much "the 'hood"), and there was active crack dealing happening a block away about two years before I bought my house. It's gotten a lot less "zesty" as the dealers got shipped out and house values keep going up, up, up.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have NEVER suggested or thought that every person in the country underwent anything comparable to my cultural experience with guns. I do not deny your experience, and I do not doubt your anecdotes. But it is a straw man to suggest that "culture" only applies to experience universally shared by every single person in the country. I DO believe that my experience was shared, with appropriate individual variation, by the vast majority of males my age or older, from coast to coast. That's pretty compelling as a national culture to my eyes.
That's only an assertion. There are a few people in my family who grew up in that culture, but I would not say that that was all of us, or even a significant majority.

Again, you're taking a part of US culture and generalizing it to the whole, IMO.

Or are you saying that liberal gun control fanatics are un-American...?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
Are we a "horse culture," then?

No, that's Ireland. And I'm very glad, too, because thanks to Ireland being a horse culture I won £170 on the Grand National last weekend. [Big Grin]

quote:
Does this mean I'm irretrievably violent?
Nope. Just that you had some out there fantasies as a kid!

quote:
Does it mean we live in a "Greek God" culture
Well, some of your men ...

quote:
or a "bow and arrow" culture, or even in a "hunting culture"?
No more than us. But ours is getting squeezed what with the ban on fox hunting recently and no doubt the grouse and deer hunters will be getting it next. The campaigners even mumble about fishing. If you do have a hunting culture and you enjoy hunting then my advice would be: be proud! You could be living in the UK.

Not that I don't like my country, you understand. It's just a bit of a pain in the ass living here if you like anything remotely un-fluffy bunny.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In other news: Gun-toting Miss America 1944 shoots out intruder's tires while balancing on walker. [Killing me]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awwww crud... try this link.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I find Sabine's notion that every single person in the country must partake in order for something to be part of the American culture not just wrong-headed but absurd.

Tom, I did not say that or mean that or believe that. I do, however, think that anything that would be cultural at a national level would be part of the socialization of all children. Whether they partake or not is up to them. Many of us have been socialized and gone on in life to change.

I'm sorry my thoughts appear absurd to you. I don't feel the same way about yours.

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

I'm wondering why the male-oriented, cowboy, gun-bonding-with-dad image keeps coming up in this thread as if it represents all of us?

I don't deny it or it's power for boys and men, and perhaps some women, but I wonder how we can discuss a perceived national gun culture and not use more diverse examples.

sabine

--------------------

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
I'm wondering why the male-oriented, cowboy, gun-bonding-with-dad image keeps coming up in this thread as if it represents all of us?

I don't deny it or it's power for boys and men, and perhaps some women, but I wonder how we can discuss a perceived national gun culture and not use more diverse examples.

sabine

Ask most people in New York City, or in any other urban area, if they had this background.

The answer is no. In tclune's era, and in mine (which I think are the same, generally), New York and other large cities - and their suburbs - in America were populated by millions and millions of immigrants from other places: Europe and Asia, mostly.

Almost none of these people were cowboys or hunters; almost all of them were here to improve their lot in life. The focus was on working, getting ahead, and doing well in school so that you would do better than your parents did.

tclune may come from a different culture, but that was mine. I wish he'd stop telling us who we are....

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:

quote:
That's too bad because polarization and highly emotional responses based on annecdotal reports prevents any productive discussion from happening.

Sabine, I disagree really. Most of the contributors to this thread have been Americans and Brits, and I really think you couldn't get two more diverse stands on the issue of guns in the world. We're just at two totally opposite starting points. Given that reality the discussion on here I think has been interesting and informative.

I'm a bit unusual as a Brit because my year in America enabled me to understand where Americans (of all political shades) are coming from on this issue. It helped that I began as someone pro-American and inquisitive - I asked lots of questions and challenged strongly during discussion (mostly with gun-owning, hunting men!). It's perfectly possible to appreciate the opposite view but it takes a long time for people from different ends of the spectrum to reach that position, IMO. To then move on to a discussion about how to tackle the problems arising from gun abuse (on either side of the Atlantic, as it's increasing here) is going to take more than a few pages of a thread on the Ship to achieve!

Also, I think anecdotal reports are actually very relevant to this particular debate since the OP referred to a perception - of America being a gun culture. We can all cite stats and expert opinion to our hearts content but when we are dealing with perceptions then these are based very much upon individual subjective experience. If such is devalued then how can the two overall positions (plus the variations represented within those positions) ever be understood? But perhaps I am missing your point.

I think you are missing my point a bit. There may be two different starting points (I'm not completely on board with that, but for the sake of discussion....), but I think there is middle ground and several of us on this thread are in that middle ground. And yet, our posts seem to anger other posters and our words are taken to signify support for things that perhaps we don't mean or support. Of course, I can only legitimately talk for myself, but I suspect that others in the middle ground would agree with certain things.

There may be gun issues, there may be iconic, deeply embedded gun stuff among certain members of our society, there may be issues of violence and etc.

But to say that this constitutes an overarching gun culture requires more than just annecdotal reports.

But I suspect I'm not going to get this message across to those who don't want to consider it. No discussion is fruitful until there can be some sort of common ground, including definitions. As it stands, this thread is highly charged, aggressive at points, and fueled by lots of personal experience.

And I have no problem with personal experience whatsoever--it is what the story of our lives is made of. But to generalize to a whole nation based on personal experience is an extremely subjective way of looking at things.

If anything, I am trying to advocate for a way that we can each tell our tale and learn from each other--but repeatedly, my attempts have been seen as debate rather than attempts at discussion.

We Quakers are trained from an early age to be in it for the long haul when it comes to trying to find a way to settle differences, and I've stuck around on this thread for longer than I thought I would. I took the time to write a rather long post which hasn't even made more than a blip on the radar. I think perhaps I've done about as much as I can do to try to have a reasoned discussion.

And when it comes right down to it, I work with people who have seen or experienced violence on a level that few of us here will ever know.

I wish all you well in your attempts to be heard and to influence each other. I've read some amazing things on this thread, from many different perspectives.

This thread reinforces my own resolve that violence and the tools of violence are a major issue of our time and I hope someday to live in a world where we aren't so quick to use either.

sabine

--------------------

Lee12
Apprentice
# 10910

- Posted      Profile for Lee12   Email Lee12   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A link to a report on this subject from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18247971/

As you'd expect, more American women and minorities are favorable to gun control; more white males are against it.

More Democrats than Republicans favor gun control, but Democrats also want to appeal to a rural base, which does not want gun control.

Bottom line, IMNSHO, America will control guns when the Sahara freezes over.

--------------------
Jesus said unto them, "Whom do you say I am?" They replied, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our
being, the ontological foundation of our very selfhood revealed."
And Jesus replied, "What?"

Posts: 13 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
I'm sorry my thoughts appear absurd to you.

I apologize for my rude remarks. I was feeling unduly defensive and reacting inappropriately. I have found your commnets gracious and thoughtful, and should have exercised the same care in my posting that you have shown.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

Sabine, you raise a number of good points in your post. I’ll just try to respond to two of them.

quote:
There may be two different starting points (I'm not completely on board with that, but for the sake of discussion....), but I think there is middle ground and several of us on this thread are in that middle ground.
I’m not sure whether I was very clear earlier but I was referring specifically to the British and American starting points: the default British position is the absence of guns while the default American position is the presence of guns (as it stands now I mean). For example, your police are routinely armed. More of our police are now trained in weapons use, but it is still a specialist function within our police force: police do not routinely carry arms. America has a constitutional right to bear arms, Britain does not. That's the kind of thing I was thinking about when I referred to 'two different starting points'. I would suggest that these defaults (and others like them) do influence any discussion about guns and the perception of gun culture. But yes, on a broader basis, there is representation of middle ground on this thread.

quote:
I have no problem with personal experience whatsoever--it is what the story of our lives is made of. But to generalize to a whole nation based on personal experience is an extremely subjective way of looking at things.
I agree 100%. I remember when I first got to know my Illinois friend of the shooting party story she had some very strange perceptions of Brits. We've been friends now for 10 years and her perceptions have totally changed in that time because I was the first Brit she actually knew and I didn't fit the stereotype (I haven't worn a bowler hat for a very long time!). Countering stereotypes and generalisations can be a useful outcome of the subjective experience. My own subjective experience tells me that! [Smile] However, it can, as you suggest, also direct perceptions inaccurately.

I smiled when I read tclune’s story about his childhood cowboy games. I played similar games when a child, only mine was cowboys and indians, with appropriate clothing, toy silver pistols which fired ‘caps’ (creating a cool bang) and bows and arrows (with suckers on the end). Loads of children played the cowboys and indians game back then, but they don’t anymore. Does this mean the UK once had a gun culture but now doesn’t? I would say not. Cowboys and indians was just a once fashionable way of playing out the good –v- bad guys scenario that forms the basis for so many childhood games (and the cowboys and indians changed roles very often!). These days it’s all more likely to be played out on the computer. tclune was clearly brought up within a local culture that included guns; I wasn’t, yet I played a gun-based game; someone else in America won’t have experienced guns as part of childhood play and nor will many people in the UK. The marker is in the good –v- bad guys scenario, not the gun play itself IMO.

I would say the same about guns and American culture as a national concept. It is not the guns themselves which are a marker of American culture but the continued ongoing battle, if you like, between the various positions in relation to guns and gun use. That tension is, IMO, indicative of American culture as I perceive it. Alternatively, my own culture has a ‘ban it’ mentality whenever anything awful occurs. I have to say that I envy the freedom or determination or whatever quality it is that Americans have which provides them with the opportunity to thrash out these issues as citizens, rather than being subject to yet more regulation almost as a matter of course. Seeking greater regulation may appear to be a good solution when things are looking bad – and indeed in the case of the availability of guns in America it may be wise – but it is also sometimes a ‘be careful what you wish for’ moment.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
I apologize for my rude remarks. I was feeling unduly defensive and reacting inappropriately. I have found your commnets gracious and thoughtful, and should have exercised the same care in my posting that you have shown.

--Tom Clune

Thank you, Tom--this has been a difficult thread for all of us at times.

peace,

sabine

--------------------

MerlintheMad
Shipmate
# 12279

- Posted      Profile for MerlintheMad         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

sabine

My personal example. My father has never owned a gun in his life, yet he comes from rural Utah. He never handled a gun that I know of. My brothers and sister also have never handled a gun even once that I know of.

I am the maverick in this respect: I purchased my first firearm at the age of 22: a .22 calibre Ruger 10/22 carbine. In my life, I have owned maybe a half dozen guns or more. Currently: the 10/22, a couple of handguns, and two shotguns. I seldom shoot anything. But I have gone out a few times with children (not all of them, it's been rather spotty "bonding" time with the guns).

I neither encourage nor discourage any of my kids from playing with toy guns: "airsoft" is the current favorite outdoor game in our neighborhood, and I look upon it favorably, letting our yard be the neighborhood "cops and robbers" playground.

I do not consider myself part of a gun culture at all. Guns in USA society are a fact of life, in the background for most people.

CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I owned and regularly shot handguns about twenty years ago. I stopped doing so when I became worried about the company I was keeping. Now I know that I'm generalizing from my own particular experience, OK? So with that it mind...

I found handgun shooters in the UK to be rather paranoid and distrustful of society. Too many sentences in our conversations started with the paranoid they: they don't want... they won't let... they think we... and so on. There certainly was, although not a culture, a sub-culture of handgun owners in the UK. Politically they were fairly diverse, but all seemed to have some socio-political ideas in common.

(1) The Englishman's home is his castle. If you set foot in my house without my permission, I am entitled to hurt you.

(2) Society as a whole is too tolerant of crime and criminals.

(3) We need far fewer people in the UK (not necessarily fewer immigrants -- the gun owners I knew were not racist -- just fewer humans. Gun owners didn't like to share space with other folks, on the whole.

(4) Violence was OK so long as it was directed against `bad guys'.

There were other common values, I'm sure, but those are the ones I remember.

When there was talk of banning or regulating handguns, many gun owners made a big deal of how shooting was a sport, and harmless and innocent sportspersons were being victimized by society. But there are other sports that rely on the same mental and physical discipline that handgun shooting emphasises, which can legally be practiced in the UK. If you're that fond of your gun that you can't give it up, it isn't because you want to practice a sport with it, in my view.

As I said, a generalization, and a generalization from two decades back at that. But...

I would describe myself as peaceable, bordering on pacifist. It worried me that the character traits I found so disturbing in other gun owners might be ones that, subconsciously, I shared. So I laid down my guns, so to speak.

I guess I could legally own and shoot a rifle if I wanted to shoot. And I confess I have been tempted, from time to time. But, quite honestly, gun owners (in the UK) scare me. Although I enjoy shooting as a sport, I don't really want to be part of a group of people whom I find scary.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Is there any cocnept of private prosecution in the States? If he could get the money, or find a lawyer willing to work and get a fee from any win, then he could have got the man charged with something - grievous bodily harm or attempted murder, at the very least sued for damages and compensation.

Having a gun for self-defense is one thing. Using that gun in a pre-meditated act (even one of 'justice') is a whole different kettle of fish.

Indeed. It would be attempted murder in this country, and AFAICS, rightly so.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the rape victim. There has been some good evidence that nothing improves a victims sense of safety and empowerment like a good class in self-defense. There's nothing like re-enacting the event -- this time with skills like where and how to inflict debilitating pain on the would be attacker. Sense IRL the assault usually comes from behind and the gun-toting purse is the first thing to go flying, a woman is much better off knowing how to stomp her heel into his instep and poke her fingers in his eyes than how to shoot a gun.

Re the question of "Is America a gun culture"? This goes to my theory that the big, swaggering John Wayne types who claim that we won't get their guns until we pry them from their cold dead hands -- are really large mush wads. Whenever they think about guns their eyes tear-up, remembering the first time their daddy took them hunting. That's one of the main reasons this is such an emotional subject for some Americans. It is the defining 'bonding" moment for many American father/sons. If only they would accept the fact that they can do the same thing with a baseball and two gloves.

From the Telegraph:
quote:
Democrat leaders in Congress have asked the group to back a bill that would force the states to provide mental health records to the FBI, to prevent disturbed individuals buying guns.
This just infuriates me. We would give up our right to a private doctor, patient relationship, before we would give up our "right" to sell automatic handguns.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016