homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Zimmerman acquitted
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If one thinks this person a potential criminal, but not this one...

Is there any evidence that Zimmerman would not consider the second person suspicious if he was acting in exactly the same way Martin was?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only evidence is that he doesn't seem to have called in any people to 911 who weren't black per lilbuddha's link.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, it's perfectly possible for two people to have entirely different perceptions of the same situation.

Once, after I told off a staffer for something she did wrong, she went to my boss and accused me of racism. I made no mention of her race in the course of her telling-off, but she nevertheless "heard" racist remarks in everything I said.

Her evidence for my racism was this: a white staffer was doing the same wrong thing she was, and I didn't tell off the white staffer.

Problem was, I wasn't aware the white staffer was up to no good; that's why I didn't tell him off.

I've thought this over many times since. Is it possible that I actually am racist, albeit unconsciously? Was I scrutinizing her behavior due to her race, while not scrutinizing the other staffer's behavior because of his? If so, I was unaware of it.

Now, to be fair, she assumed I had known all about her co-worker's behavior; I hadn't. Once I found out about it, I did tell him off. But from her perspective, he only got told off after/because she complained to the boss about my racism.

AFAICT, she remained a victim of racism in her own mind as long as she worked with us. AFAICT, she was not.

How do we determine who's right? Who gets to decide what racism is, how it's expressed, and whether it's present?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Who gets to decide what racism is, how it's expressed, and whether it's present?

In Florida, the person with the gun decides...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that decision is often final.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a quote from the blog lilBudddha linked to:
quote:
What began as annoying 911 operators with pointless complaints escalated to notifying the authorities any time he saw a black male he didn’t know.
Does anyone know how often, if ever, Zimmermann's suspicions were justified? If they were frequently justified, Zimmermann was right to make these reports. How does the blogger know that he phoned the authorities every time he saw a black male he didn't know?

There are some unproven assumptions here.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
The only evidence is that he doesn't seem to have called in any people to 911 who weren't black per lilbuddha's link.

That's only evidence of racism if you assume that there were equal numbers of white/black people acting suspiciously. Is that a reasonable assumption?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

That's only evidence of racism if you assume that there were equal numbers of white/black people acting suspiciously. Is that a reasonable assumption?
Considering how many months were covered, and considering that I have heard that African-Americans are a decisive minority there, the odds seem to me that a person as nosy as Zimmerman was would have seen something being done imperfect* by a non-black person. That is only a statement of odds though, so maybe only black people do unusual things in that town.

*At least as imperfect as being rained on

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Here is a quote from the blog lilBudddha linked to:
quote:
What began as annoying 911 operators with pointless complaints escalated to notifying the authorities any time he saw a black male he didn’t know.
Does anyone know how often, if ever, Zimmermann's suspicions were justified? If they were frequently justified, Zimmermann was right to make these reports. How does the blogger know that he phoned the authorities every time he saw a black male he didn't know?

But they're fairly reasonable ones. We've got one well-examined example (Trayvon Martin) where Zimmerman's supposed crime-detecting sixth sense was just plain wrong. There don't seem to be any examples of him calling in any "unfamiliar white males", something fairly notable in a community ~50% white. Did Zimmerman personally know all the white people in his neighborhood, who never had unfamiliar (to Zimmerman) relatives come for a visit and who never ventured out in the rain?

Given the amount of spin Zimmerman's defense tried to put on irrelevancies (e.g. Martin's past marijuana use), I think we can be fairly certain that if a clear case existed where Zimmerman's suspicions had been justified, we'd have heard about it by now.

In short, the assumptions that have to packed in to your speculation that Zimmerman just happened to run across a whole bunch of black criminals and zero white ones are far more tenuous and counterintuitive than than the observation that one of the markers Zimmerman used as an identifier of criminality was blackness.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:

But they're fairly reasonable ones.

<snip>

Given the amount of spin Zimmerman's defense tried to put on irrelevancies (e.g. Martin's past marijuana use), I think we can be fairly certain that if a clear case existed where Zimmerman's suspicions had been justified, we'd have heard about it by now.

In short, the assumptions that have to packed in to your speculation that Zimmerman just happened to run across a whole bunch of black criminals and zero white ones are far more tenuous and counterintuitive than than the observation that one of the markers Zimmerman used as an identifier of criminality was blackness.

That's pretty much the way it looked to me too.

But none of that makes him a murderer, of course.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Actually, to get a 50% chance of generating that 46-0 breakdown you'd have to assume that the number of non-black people acting at least as suspiciously as Trayvon Martin (wearing a hoodie in the rain) is about 1.5% of the sample set. In other words, a rough ratio of ~67 suspicious black people for every non-black person fitting Zimmerman's definition of "suspicious".

To get a 5% chance of just coincidentally getting that 46-0 breakdown (5% is a rough rule-of-thumb value below which statisticians usually assume selection bias) you'd have to assume about a 16:1 ratio of black suspicious people:non-black suspicious people.

That's just a rough, back-of-the envelope calculation, but I think it's sufficient to demonstrate that you don't need to assume "equal numbers of white/black people acting suspiciously" to demonstrate Zimmerman's selection bias, just a ratio lower than 16:1.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Croesos
There don't seem to be any examples of him calling in any "unfamiliar white males", something fairly notable in a community ~50% white.

Is this a figure for the city of Sanford or the community where Zimmermann lived? I haven't been able to find statistics for Zimmermann's community. If that is what this is, where did you find it?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Croesos
There don't seem to be any examples of him calling in any "unfamiliar white males", something fairly notable in a community ~50% white.

Is this a figure for the city of Sanford or the community where Zimmermann lived? I haven't been able to find statistics for Zimmermann's community. If that is what this is, where did you find it?

Moo

It's for the local community, not Sanford as a whole. I got it from this website. I haven't bothered to double-check their figures against census block data.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
That's just a rough, back-of-the envelope calculation, but I think it's sufficient to demonstrate that you don't need to assume "equal numbers of white/black people acting suspiciously" to demonstrate Zimmerman's selection bias, just a ratio lower than 16:1.

I won't argue with your numbers, but my point was pretty much that if the fact that none of the people he reported were white was because there weren't any white people acting suspiciously to start with, he's not a racist.

What was he supposed to do? Stop reporting suspicious characters until one of them happened to be white, in order to even up the numbers a bit?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

I won't argue with your numbers, but my point was pretty much that if the fact that none of the people he reported were white was because there weren't any white people acting suspiciously to start with, he's not a racist.
Is that a reasonable assumption to make, though? That in a neighborhood that was ~20% black, no non-black ever took a walk in the rain? Or wore a hoodie?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

What was he supposed to do? Stop reporting suspicious characters until one of them happened to be white, in order to even up the numbers a bit?

Prior to changing patterns, he was reporting to the emergency response numberthe suspicious behaviour of missing tarmac. Hardly behaviour suggesting discernment.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
That in a neighborhood that was ~20% black, no non-black ever took a walk in the rain? Or wore a hoodie?

That very few of the local population ever loitered in the rain I can well believe.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
That in a neighborhood that was ~20% black, no non-black ever took a walk in the rain? Or wore a hoodie?

That very few of the local population ever loitered in the rain I can well believe.
Very few introduce themselves to others by jumping out from behind bushes for some ground and pound action, too.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

quote:
quote:

But I very much doubt that all those who did loiter in the rain were black simply because there is no reason why African-Americans like getting rained on more than any other race.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
But I very much doubt that all those who did loiter in the rain were black simply because there is no reason why African-Americans like getting rained on more than any other race.

Actually, I could well believe that only one person did so. Like you say, most people don't like getting wet and so will hurry on to wherever they're going.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Actually, I could well believe that only one person did so. Like you say, most people don't like getting wet and so will hurry on to wherever they're going.
Unless they've managed to master the idea "if I wait under this overhang, maybe it will stop". Truly advanced thinking, that.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Like you say, most people don't like getting wet and so will hurry on to wherever they're going.

I had a dog who loved running in the surf and splashing about. Yet when I gave him a bath, he looked at me as if I had stolen his favourite bone.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but teenagers love loitering in the rain.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:
quote:

Very few introduce themselves to others by jumping out from behind bushes for some ground and pound action, too.
Oh you mean from behind the bushes that didn't exist:http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07/02/george-zimmerman-trial-inconsistencies-zimmerman-story

and the headpounding that was fixed with a couple of plasters - no concusion nor a visit to the hospital needed. Incredible that!

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yeah, but teenagers love loitering in the rain.

I loved walking around in the rain well into my mid-20s. I still enjoy it in climates where it's warm and rainy in the summer -- a walk in a light rain on a warm afternoon is nice.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's a good point. Very few do. And yet Zimmerman says Martin did. It's almost as if Zimmerman were lying about it to boost his side of the story. But it's not as if Zimmerman had a motive for doing that, is it?

[ 24. July 2013, 19:02: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's a good point. Very few do. And yet Zimmerman says Martin did. Still, is it more likely that Zimmerman had a motive for lying about what happened?
According to Good's testimony he saw Martin on top doing the ground and pound.

article

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Once again for emphasis, eyewitness are unreliable. The vast majority of people do not make reliable eyewitnesses. Test after test, trial re-examination after trial re-examination confirms this.
Second, the more detail a non-expert puts into their story, the more suspect it should be.
Think less Sherlock Holmes and more Murder by Death.
Does this mean Good is wrong? No, it means his testimony is less indicative than it might appear.
And irrelevant regardless. It is the instigator of the fight who would be at fault, not whoever is winning at the moment of observation.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Once again for emphasis, eyewitness are unreliable. The vast majority of people do not make reliable eyewitnesses. Test after test, trial re-examination after trial re-examination confirms this.
Second, the more detail a non-expert puts into their story, the more suspect it should be.
Think less Sherlock Holmes and more Murder by Death.
Does this mean Good is wrong? No, it means his testimony is less indicative than it might appear.
And irrelevant regardless. It is the instigator of the fight who would be at fault, not whoever is winning at the moment of observation.

He's more reliable than you and I've yet to see any evidence that Zimmerman threw the first punch.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
...I've yet to see any evidence that Zimmerman threw the first punch.

There were no signs on Martin's or Zimmermann's body that Zimmermann hit Martin at all. There were clear signs on Zimmermann's body and Martin's hands that Martin hit Zimmermann.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
He's more reliable than you and I've yet to see any evidence that Zimmerman threw the first punch.

You have no evidence or indication that he is more or less reliable than I am, only that he is more likely to have seen something in this instance.
There is no evidence beyond Zimmerman's testimony regarding who threw the first punch.
First punch is irrelevant, regardless. First punch is not always the instigator and, as has been mentioned, not necessarily relevant under Florida law.

[ 24. July 2013, 22:20: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
[Zimmerman]'s more reliable than you and I've yet to see any evidence that Zimmerman threw the first punch.

I'm not sure it's possible to reconcile your assertion that George Zimmerman's testimony is reliable with your earlier post that he's willing to tell legally convenient lies.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
You have no evidence or indication that he is more or less reliable than I am, only that he is more likely to have seen something in this instance.
There is no evidence beyond Zimmerman's testimony regarding who threw the first punch.
First punch is irrelevant, regardless. First punch is not always the instigator and, as has been mentioned, not necessarily relevant under Florida law.

The jury sure seems to have believed him.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
quote:
[Zimmerman]'s more reliable than you and I've yet to see any evidence that Zimmerman threw the first punch.

I'm not sure it's possible to reconcile your assertion that George Zimmerman's testimony is reliable with your earlier post that he's willing to tell legally convenient lies.
My link is about Good's testimony.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The jury sure seems to have believed him.

Maybe; maybe not. The jury at one point had questions about the manslaughter charge, did they not? To me that suggests they were at least considering that penalty at some point.

What the jury had, bottom line, was substantial reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's culpability under the law as it now stands for murder in the 2nd degree or for manslaughter. Given the prosecution's dismal job of making their case against Zimmerman (and the equally crap police investigation, due (IMO) to the crap SYG law, the jury had little choice.

And that, my friends, is exactly the problem with SYG laws. Strip away racism, if any; strip away the whole legal standing, if any, of neighborhood watch team captains. Strip away questions of who started "it" (whatever "it" may be), and here's what you've got: legally defensible slaughter.

Two people, each with a "right" to be where they are; neither with a duty to retreat where retreat is possible when things turn threatening; couple all that to concealed-carry laws in all 50 of these soon-to-be Disunited States (since we'll all apparently be in shootouts with each other) and it's a Full Employment Act for criminal defense attorneys and (where cases have survivors) emergency room doctors forever.

Why don't we just re-institute the duel?

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

SYG was not in play in the Zimmerman trial, was it? article

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
SYG was not in play in the Zimmerman trial, was it? article

As already noted at least twice previously on this thread, SYG formed part of the judge's instructions to the jury.

SYG was not cited by the defense.

SYG was possibly a factor in the initial investigation by the police. Had SYG not been on the books, it's possible (IANAL) that the original investigation would have been handled somewhat differently.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

One of the problems with a "Stand Your Ground" type of law is not merely when it can be invoked in court, but in the influence over actions in the initial instance.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
Wow. Over here, ok. We had a Green foreign affairs minister who was photographed beating policemen with bats and spades in his "wild youth". Not to mention some of our politicians in the 1950s...
Being informed however that Barack Obama once was something of a drug taking hoodie, repeatedly relegated from school, skulking and looking for fights surprises me. Is this the same country where Bill Clinton got grilled over the alleged inhalation or not of marijuana? Have the US become so forgiving all of a sudden?

Well, Pres. Obama was pretty open about that, before he even ran. I believe the gist of it was in one or the other of his books. (Which I haven't read.) I think it was wise. Basic rule of PR: if something negative about you might come out, be the first to tell it--that will give you a chance to shape and control it. From what I understand, ALL the adults in his immediate family had substance abuse problems. (Not just his dad.) And I suspect he tended to feel like an outsider: mixed race; living in various cultures; absent dad; (sometimes?) strained relationship with his mom; abusive Indonesian step-dad, who hit his mom and was also an alcoholic; grandma told him she was afraid of black men on the streets, etc. I gather that Michelle helped him sort out the substance abuse.

I'm not sure if Obama got into trouble as a teen, besides smoking pot. I think his self-comparison with Trayvon was about being a troubled young man, of African ancestry, who experienced being profiled and followed--as many/most African-American men do.

Clinton, OTOH, is a born politician and lawyer, and delights in getting away with stuff.

And Dubya had a substance abuse background, too.

We probably don't need to get into Pres. Grant's extremely heavy drinking. That was a different time.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why don't we just re-institute the duel?

Because it's not about two people with a mutual grudge duking it out. The more correct analogy would be to re-institute lynching.

Which I guess we have.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Shouldn't one ask what percentage of crimes detectable and preventable by public observation (not tax evasion) was committed by white, resp. black people? Maybe suspicion towards young male blacks is simply a matter of experience and common sense. And why does no one complain of sexism and ageism when almost exclusively young(ish) males are reported as suspicious?

In Frankfurt about 30-40% of burglaries are committed by gypsy children under 14. There are only a few thousand gypsies in the town with a few hundred children. So if you see a bunch of them in your residential neighbourhood you'd have to be statistically incompetent not to keep an eye open. But you'd have to brave the automatic charge of "racist profiling". Few people dare to and so burglaries increase year after year.
(But we don't have neighbourhood watches here, let alone armed ones).

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And why does no one complain of sexism and ageism when almost exclusively young(ish) males are reported as suspicious?

You may have a point here.

Many years ago when my husband was 17 he had very long hair (still does) he drove a brand new car. He was stopped almost weekly by the police. His name is John Smith so he got many rude comments too and was hauled out of the car by police convinced they had a wrong 'un. It gave him great pleasure to produce his driving license and insurance documents, but he rarely received an apology. This hasn't happened since he turned 20.

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Sylvander, point! Though since I was talking about their gated community I doubt stats are available to answer that question.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sylvander,

Assuming for the moment your statistics are correct, it does not apply to Sanford, Florida. Sanford is part of greater Orlando. Orlando, which has a population of over 200,000 people, is ~28% black. What are the odds that a majority of those nearly 60,000 people are criminals?

[ 25. July 2013, 11:53: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Shouldn't one ask what percentage of crimes detectable and preventable by public observation (not tax evasion) was committed by white, resp. black people? Maybe suspicion towards young male blacks is simply a matter of experience and common sense. And why does no one complain of sexism and ageism when almost exclusively young(ish) males are reported as suspicious?

Your point about age and gender is taken.

Regarding the rest, the problem lies in collecting and interpreting statistics.

For every one white male in U.S. prisons, there are 6 to 7 black males (supporting link provided upthread). What does this tell us?

1. There are 6-7 times as many black males in U.S. society than white ones? General population census data, if reliable and correctly interpreted, suggest otherwise.

2. Black males are 6-7 times more likely to commit crime than white males?

3. Black males are 6-7 times more likely to be convicted of crimes of which they're accused than white males?

4. Black males are 6-7 times more likely to be suspected/accused of crimes than white males?

5. U.S. society has a serious problem with racism which gets expressed at least partially through its criminal justice system?

6. Some combination of the above?

If Gypsy kids where you are get suspected first, they'll also get observed first, which means they'll get arrested more often, which will likely lead to their being convicted more often. How many unsolved crimes are there for which non-Gypsy kids might be responsible?

For obvious reasons, we can't collect data about the perpetrators of unsolved crimes. Until all groups of similar ages/sexes get suspected and observed equally, how can we collect reliable data about the races/ethnicity of perpetrators?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Even were it proven black males were 6-7 times more likely to commit crimes, my point was anyone in Sanford was statistically more likely to encounter law-abiding Black folk than criminal Black folk.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
As already noted at least twice previously on this thread, SYG formed part of the judge's instructions to the jury.

SYG was not cited by the defense.

The prosecution said it wasn't a SYG case and it appears the jury didn't think it was, either. Either way, it seems to me no one should have to take a beating and it appears the jury agreed.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Regarding the rest, the problem lies in collecting and interpreting statistics.

For every one white male in U.S. prisons, there are 6 to 7 black males (supporting link provided upthread). What does this tell us?

1. There are 6-7 times as many black males in U.S. society than white ones? General population census data, if reliable and correctly interpreted, suggest otherwise.

2. Black males are 6-7 times more likely to commit crime than white males?

3. Black males are 6-7 times more likely to be convicted of crimes of which they're accused than white males?

Many black men in prison have been convicted of crimes of violence against other black people. I am not sure the black community would be better off if these men were walking the streets.

I still want to know whether the police responded to Zimmermann's calls about suspicious black males. I also want to know what they found. If, in fact, they found that crimes were being committed or had been committed, then Zimmermann's calls were justified.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Many black men in prison have been convicted of crimes of violence against other black people. I am not sure the black community would be better off if these men were walking the streets.

First, I have drawn no distinction among the specific crimes or crime victims for which a racial minority of the population has been incarcerated for a staggering majority of all crimes committed. Actual perpetrators of black-on-black violence are no less guilty than actual perpetrators of white-on-white or white-on-black or black-on-white violence. I am not advocating against the conviction or for the release of individuals of any race who have been legitimately accused, fairly tried, and correctly found guilty.

The question I’m raising concerns the legitimacy of the conviction rate. Conviction is not always a reliable indication of guilt. I refer you to the The Innocence Project, which has helped to exonerate 310 individuals since 2000. Of these 310, 193 were black.

quote:
I still want to know whether the police responded to Zimmermann's calls about suspicious black males. I also want to know what they found. If, in fact, they found that crimes were being committed or had been committed, then Zimmermann's calls were justified.

It's a legitimate question, and I suspect we'd all like to have some answers. I'm not holding my breath.

[ 25. July 2013, 13:28: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Shouldn't one ask what percentage of crimes detectable and preventable by public observation (not tax evasion) was committed by white, resp. black people?

As noted above, the percentage would have to be 94% or higher to get Zimmerman's 46-0 call record without selection bias. It would have to be about 98.5% to get a 50/50 chance of getting that 46-0 record by pure chance. Are you willing to posit that there is virtually no other racial or ethnic group committing any observable crimes in Sanford, FL?

quote:
Many black men in prison have been convicted of crimes of violence against other black people.

But most black men in U.S. prisons have been convicted of non-violent drug offenses, the same as every other racial or ethnic group in U.S. prisons. Given that virtually every study ever made of the subject shows nearly identical use rates for illegal drugs between black and white Americans, systematic selection bias has to be considered as at least a possible explanation for their much higher imprisonment rate.

quote:

Yes, if only you had access to some kind of world wide network of information, you might be able to answer that question! Perhaps something with the ability to search and filter that information.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016