homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Humour in the Old Testament? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Humour in the Old Testament?
Yakov
Shipmate
# 10943

- Posted      Profile for Yakov   Email Yakov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Artscroll's bowlderization of Song of Songs to be pretty funny.

If you've never seen it, or don't know what I'm talking about, you're lucky!

Posts: 66 | From: Israel / Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yakov is back? Wow! Great blog mate! Happy New Year!

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Most blessed of women be Jael,
the wife of Heber the Kenite,
most blessed of tent-dwelling women.

He asked for water, and she gave him milk;
in a bowl fit for nobles she brought him curdled milk.

Her hand reached for the tent peg,
her right hand for the workman's hammer.
She struck Sisera, she crushed his head,
she shattered and pierced his temple.

At her feet he sank,
he fell;
there he lay.
At her feet he sank,
he fell;
where he sank,
there he fell -
dead!"

As a good example of taunting and gloating the above passage from Judges 5, dealing with the demise of Sisera at the hands of a woman (no less), gives as good as it gets. Did the song-writer think we might miss the point in the last stanza? Did Sisera fall? Surely not???

Snigger, snigger.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Strictly speaking, Sisera didn't fall because he was already lying down asleep.

Here is Judges 4:21
quote:
Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.
She literally nailed him to the floor/ground.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you do.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Umm.. thank you Moo. I was being ironic but I really like what you have pointed out. [Big Grin]
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's New Testament, but I asked my Greek tutor if the bit from John 1:46, 'Can anything good come from Nazareth?' was a joke, and she said that Jesus' comment, 'Here is a real Israelite; there is nothing false in him!' could well be a kind of riposte.
Seemingly the Greek for 'false' here has some connotations of 'fish', so the repartee goes: 'Can anything good come from that backwater town full of rednecks and country bumpkins?' while Jesus's comment is implying, 'Ah, you city slickers from the teeming metropolis of Bethsaida whose wealth is built upon the fishing industry, you think you're so cool!'
Of course, it loses something in the translation!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
fnk

Ship's Errand Boy
# 10377

- Posted      Profile for fnk   Email fnk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always enjoyed the story of Elijah and the Prophets of Baal on Mt Carmel. He's such a smart-arse and the thought of the already tired prophets hunking down and praying harder while Elijah stands around mocking them makes me chuckle. Then he steps up and gets fire on the first try. When the rain arrives and he tucks his coat into his belt and runs ahead of the chariot the whole way back to town. It's great mental-image stuff.

--------------------
You can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make it enjoy the view

- Love This City, The Whitlams

Posts: 322 | From: Mainland Godzone | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think there's any humor in the O.T. before Genesis 1:16, where you find
quote:
God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars.
That casually tacked-on afterthought, "-- and the stars," (RSV: "he made the stars also") can be seen as a dig at the astrologically-minded peoples of the surrounding nations.

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been some mention of this before the thread was re*bumped* - but it has to be Jonah! He's a uniquely comic character and the short story of "go right, go left, go down, come up, do good and get cross anyway" always makes me chuckle.

The thread reminds me of David Kossoff, whose memorable and often very humourous unpacking of Bible stories (in print and on TV/radio) were a real delight. He died a couple of years ago and I suspect his stuff is out of print, but you can probably get copies via Amazon. Lovely, gentle, funny man.

[ 24. January 2007, 08:16: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Deuteronomy 3:11
11 (Only Og king of Bashan was left of the remnant of the Rephaites. His bed was made of iron and was more than thirteen feet long and six feet wide. It is still in Rabbah of the Ammonites.)

I mean ... would you want to move an iron bed of that size!? [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and I can't resist also this utterly fantastic sarcastic retort of Job to his 'comforters' ...
quote:
Job 12:2

2 "Doubtless you are the people,
and wisdom will die with you!

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm - it's still not exactly funny, is it? I'd put it somewhere between Keeping up Appearances (completely unfunny) and Are you being served? (occasionally raises a wry smile).

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62
There has been some mention of this before the thread was re*bumped* - but it has to be Jonah! He's a uniquely comic character and the short story of "go right, go left, go down, come up, do good and get cross anyway" always makes me chuckle.

Someone once suggested on this board that Jonah was a parody.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

- Posted      Profile for Calindreams   Email Calindreams   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that in The story of Tamar and Judah also has humour contained in the items she requests on the road - the seal, the ord and the staff in his hand (oo er). Apparently the Hebrew word for each are similar to the words, father-in-law, idiot and tribe/penis. So it could be read as "Father-in-law, you idiot, give me tribe with the rod in your hand. Maybe not exactly like that but my memory of the Hebrew is a bit sketchy.

Can anyone shed more light on this or confirm/deny this?

--------------------
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore

Posts: 665 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calindreams,

To be honest, the passage doesn’t read as though there were intentional double meanings. The three nouns are not that similar: Hatham (seal); Pathil (cord); and Mateh (staff). Even when looking that their construction in the text (with 2 person masculine singular suffixes = hothameka, pethileka and mateka), there isn’t much commonality in assonance or metre.

There’s probably enough sex in the passage already without there being an intent to hide more; also the fact that Tamar produces the three artefacts as evidence of her innocence in verse 25 indicates, I think, that the author was entendring in the singular here!

Nigel

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

- Posted      Profile for Calindreams   Email Calindreams   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nigel M - thanks for filling me in with more detail. Was you already aware of the theory?

I'm not saying that the author is wanting to hide the sexual implications from us, but rather Tamar is hiding what she knows from Judah.

As for the assonance and metre, could you explain that a little more because there does seem to be quite an uncanny resemblance in the words on reading them, especially since the Hebrew wasn't originally pointed.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite: "Who told you that you were naked?" (Genesis 3:11)

A friend of mine particularly enjoyed: "Oh, yes, you did laugh." (Genesis 18:15)

[ 24. January 2007, 16:30: Message edited by: Liturgy Queen ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

How odd. I don't mind "parable", though I see a historical basis as well. But parody?

David Kossoff, who I mentioned earlier, brought out all the implicit humour in the story in one of his TV presentations - it was a long time ago now, but I wish I'd recorded it. No longer available, unfortunately.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Calindreams:
As for the assonance and metre, could you explain that a little more because there does seem to be quite an uncanny resemblance in the words on reading them, especially since the Hebrew wasn't originally pointed.

Yes, we don’t have the pointing in the early texts, but I’m assuming that the vowel patterning that became part of the Masoretic system (and use of stand-in consonants before that, e.g. he and yod) were on the right track, rather than completely made up. So we have three vowel patterns in the nouns: o-a-e-a; e-i-e-a; and a-e-a; which don’t really sound similar. The metre differs, too: nouns one and two have 4 syllables, noun three only 3.

Usually when an author is playing around in Hebrew with words to indicate there’s another level to look for, there are clues in the way he patterns the words – that was what I was looking for.

As far as the words sounding similar to others, I assume the connection the theory makes is as follows:-
Seal (hatham) = Father-in-law (ham);
Cord (pathil) = Simple / foolish (pethi);
Staff (mateh) = Tribe (also mateh).

Where Hebrew writers make plays on words they do tend to do so with the consonants, but in this text there are differences from the norm: ham misses out the middle consonant from seal; foolish has only two consonants, compared to Cord’s three, and Mateh is a homonym (possibly because the tribal leader carried a ceremonial staff?).

Compared to other examples of Hebrew punning or synonymity, this particular passage just feels a bit too loose for me.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if young Jewish lads listening to that episode all those years ago were whacked about the ear for sniggering when 'staff' was mentioned...

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

How odd. I don't mind "parable", though I see a historical basis as well. But parody?
I was wondering about that, too. What was being parodied? The only link I could think of was the theory that places Jonah in the role of Israel, called to be a light to the Gentiles (Abraham's blessing to the nations), but who signally failed to be so. Big fish, then, is the exile.

Not sure that Jonah was intended to ridicule Israel's history, though.

Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

Thanks Nigel - I must agree the ham/hatham parallel is a bit tenuous. However, the 'staff in your hand' is still funny to my peurile brain!

I would be interested, still, if I could find the scholar who first fowarded the idea. Can't seem to find it on the net.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
I was wondering about that, too. What was being parodied?

It's been a few years and I don't recall the details. IIRC there was a genre of religious stories about people told by God to do various things. Jonah was a parody of that genre.

Let's face it. What happens is a bit OTT.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

< a bit tangential>

For Moo and Nigel M. Isn't it a type of Midrash? Humour works well in that genre. In short, Jonah could be rabbinical teaching on God's judgment and mercy, couched in a tale connecting a rebellious people (fact) with a rebellious jew (Jonah as a type). Then the comic or OTT details can be understood as a way of helping the hearer to remember. And Jonah is really memorable.

</tangent>

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
< a bit tangential>

For Moo and Nigel M. Isn't it a type of Midrash? Humour works well in that genre. In short, Jonah could be rabbinical teaching on God's judgment and mercy, couched in a tale connecting a rebellious people (fact) with a rebellious jew (Jonah as a type). Then the comic or OTT details can be understood as a way of helping the hearer to remember. And Jonah is really memorable.

</tangent>

<swings tangent wide open again>

I suppose it depends on when the story or book of Jonah was composed and whether midrash, as a form of exegesis, was around at that time. As a story it certainly works and it has that twist in the tail (tale?) usually associated with parables. An extended parable, perhaps, as you suggested?

<leaves tangent wide open so horse can bolt...>

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In reference to above comments on the 100-200 Philistine foreskins that David paid for Michal:

In my long-past time in seminary, the frequent appearance of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast on the refectory menu was always called "David's Dowry."

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
In reference to above comments on the 100-200 Philistine foreskins that David paid for Michal:

In my long-past time in seminary, the frequent appearance of Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast on the refectory menu was always called "David's Dowry."

[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile]

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
I know it's New Testament, but I asked my Greek tutor if the bit from John 1:46, 'Can anything good come from Nazareth?' was a joke, and she said that Jesus' comment, 'Here is a real Israelite; there is nothing false in him!' could well be a kind of riposte.
Seemingly the Greek for 'false' here has some connotations of 'fish', so the repartee goes: 'Can anything good come from that backwater town full of rednecks and country bumpkins?' while Jesus's comment is implying, 'Ah, you city slickers from the teeming metropolis of Bethsaida whose wealth is built upon the fishing industry, you think you're so cool!'
Of course, it loses something in the translation!

A pastor I heard speak late last year said he thought it basically meant "you can't talk, you stink like fish!" It seems to come through a bit better than your version.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there is comedy in Jonah especially at the beginning when God asks to get up and go up to Nineveh and he gets up and goes down to Jaffa and down into the ship and down into the hold and down into etc. etc.

I think there is also a rather rough folk humour at the beginning of Job as the disasters pile up and the varous servants come along to report them each conlcuding with 'I alone was left' or words to that effect.

[ 09. February 2007, 12:04: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
adso
Shipmate
# 2895

- Posted      Profile for adso   Email adso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always the story of Micaiah in I Kings 22.
King Ahab hasn't had a battle for three whole years and is getting a bit bored, [Cool] so he and his mate King Jehoshaphat (king of Judah) plan to attack Ramoth Gilead. "Hang on," says King J [Ultra confused] . "Better double check it with God first - ask the prophets if we'll win." So they do, and the prophets all say yes. Then King J (who possibly has cold feet about this [Ultra confused] ) says "Did you ask all of them?" Ahab admits he's missed out Micaiah because Micaiah always prophesies bad things, [Paranoid] but reluctantly agrees to ask him.
Enter Micaiah. "Will we win?" asks the king.
"Yes, of course," [Biased] says Micaiah.
The king gets cross. "How many times do I have to tell you to speak the truth?"
"OK then," says Micaiah. "God says you are going to be completely wiped out."
"What did I tell you?" says King Ahab to King J. "Micaiah never prophesies anything good about me!"
[Roll Eyes]

They do get defeated. King Ahab persuades King J to swop robes, to increase his chance of survival, but gets mortally wounded by a completely random arrow and the dogs lick up the blood from the chariot. [Devil]

--------------------
os justi meditabitur sapientiam, et lingua eius loquetur judicium. lex dei eius in corde ipsius, et non supplantabuntur gressus eius. alleluia.

Posts: 688 | From: pays de galles | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adso, I always got a bang out of that story, too. Thanks for reminding me of it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always loved the Judges 3 story of Ehud the Left-Handed and Eglon the Fat.

Eglon the Fat is the nasty overlord of the Israelites, and Ehud the Left-Handed is the "judge" that saves the nation. He goes to visit Eglon, and takes out his sword (which, being on his right thigh, presumably was missed by the bodyguards) and stabs Eglon so the blade comes through the other sidebut he's so fat that his fat folds around the hilt and Ehud can't withdraw it.

Ehud then locks the doors and goes out, and Eglon's dying moans are interpreted by his servants (just outside the door) as the noise he makes on the toilet ("spreading his feet" is the dainty Biblical bowdlerism), so they don't go in to save him until it's too late.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fifty years ago I heard an Old Testament scholar preach. He explained that the prophet Amos made liberal use of puns. The only example which I still remember had God asking Amos, "What do you see?" and Amos replying, "A begonia", to which God responded "Today you are here, and tomorrow you'll begonia". I hope that the Hebrew it not quite so groan-inducing.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re-reading Proverbs this morning reminded me that I do think that some of them are pretty funny. My personal favourite is 11:22:

"Like a gold ring in the snout of a pig,
Is a lovely woman who lacks discretion"

Never fails to bring a smile to my face [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I like Proverbs 27:14, (which has already been mentioned on this thread)
quote:
Whoever blesses a neighbour with a loud voice,
rising early in the morning,
will be counted as cursing.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

flickeringflame
Apprentice
# 12703

- Posted      Profile for flickeringflame   Email flickeringflame   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
I must be sense of humour impaired. I've always found the attempts to describe bits of the bible as funny to be strained.

But that's just me.

Me too. Whenever someone tries to point out biblical humour - well, let's be honest, you can't force a laugh. The Bible/Jesus, hmmm...

That's why I was so pleasantly surprised when I read Epictetus - that's when I realised how much we owed to the Greeks. It took humour to do that.

Posts: 46 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some parts of the OT are great for black humor, and the kind of laughing that comes of understanding how fucking hysterical life is (to paraphrase a movie).

Then again, I'm weird. [Two face]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by flickeringflame:
Me too. Whenever someone tries to point out biblical humour - well, let's be honest, you can't force a laugh. The Bible/Jesus, hmmm...

That's why I was so pleasantly surprised when I read Epictetus - that's when I realised how much we owed to the Greeks. It took humour to do that.

The concept of what's funny is not the same in all cultures. Modern Jews and Arabs see a great deal of humor in the Bible.

Epictetus was Greek, and our culture was heavily influenced by Greek culture.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flickeringflame:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
I must be sense of humour impaired. I've always found the attempts to describe bits of the bible as funny to be strained.

Me too. Whenever someone tries to point out biblical humour - well, let's be honest, you can't force a laugh.
Try reading the book of Jonah. To my mind, it is just plain slapstick from end to end. It may not be your kind of humor, but I can't imagine anyone reading it and not recognizing it as bathos (despite those humorless Christians who insist on reading it as history!)

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! My mistake. This thread is about humour in the OT. As an American, I don't find humour in anything...
--Tom Clune

--------------------

flickeringflame
Apprentice
# 12703

- Posted      Profile for flickeringflame   Email flickeringflame   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the person we should really blame is Benjamin Franklin who was actually involved in changing humour to humor, American style. [Biased]

As for Jonah - I see what you mean, maybe the thing about the cattle at the end? [Big Grin]

Posts: 46 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Jonah, if you read it as a little piece of instructive literature, is really freaking snide, dark, and ludicrous. Jonah being the clown in the whole situation-- the kind of Everyman who is so xenophobic and self-protective that he'll go through incredible lengths to get out of challenging his personal comfort level. But then he forms an intense emotional attachment to a flipping shrub. What priorities.

And God in the story matches his bad attitude with sarcasm. (You're right flickeringflame- ""Geez, whiz, if you aren't worried about the people, think of the cows, man!")

Are we moderns really arrogant enough to think we invented hyperbole and satire?

I kinda wonder if, somewhere in the bowls of history, this story was a pointed flip-off to a specific person or class of persons. But that might be stretching it.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves
kinda wonder if, somewhere in the bowls of history, this story was a pointed flip-off to a specific person or class of persons. But that might be stretching it.

I have heard that this was a parody of a whole class of literature, stories where God told people to do something, and they did it very well.

I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent of that kind of writing.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The Ship of Fools Torrid Romance Novel. [Big Grin]

Or that bizarre Hemingway contest they have/ used to have.

--------------------

rahamim
Apprentice
# 12887

- Posted      Profile for rahamim         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
funniest bit is when aaron says i threw the gold into the fire and this calf came out. i am surprised moses didn't hit him for not comming up with a better answer.
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves
kinda wonder if, somewhere in the bowls of history, this story was a pointed flip-off to a specific person or class of persons. But that might be stretching it.

I have heard that this was a parody of a whole class of literature, stories where God told people to do something, and they did it very well.

I'm trying to think of a modern equivalent of that kind of writing.

Moo

The equivalent might be the fractured fairy tale

I suspect that term originated with a segment by that name of the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

So this is fractured scripture, huh?

Fripture?

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

I find the whole calling of Gideon rather humorous. It starts out with irony that sure strikes me as funny: an Angel greets Gideon

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time for me to say again that these bits are vaguely amusing, but frankly not as actually funny as even the jokes I learnt when I was 12. I get more of a laugh out of "What's brown and sticky?", myself.

The answer is, of couse, a stick.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try to imagine them as a Monty Python sketch--in Tom's example above, John Cleese as Moses and Eric Idle as Aaron.

"I just threw the gold in the fire and then there was this calf there. It's not my fault!"

(Cleese does his long-suffering, why-do-I-have-to-spend-my-life-surrounded-by-idiots look, before exploding...)

In fact, I really think much of the Bible makes more sense that way.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016