homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: She's only nine years old! (abortion thread) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: She's only nine years old! (abortion thread)
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
You can all celebrate now.

God help the children.

and from Melonman's post:
quote:
What I wasn't expecting was so many people talking as if abortion is some kind of life-enriching experience and/or something that must be practised at all costs.
How dare you. Either of you.

What evidence is there that anyone posting here, who hoped to have some compassion shown to this little girl, would even think of rejoicing? Or that the abortion would be a "life-enriching experience for her?" (If you look back to my posting on page one, I said the abortion would be a difficult thing for her to go through, just not as difficult as giving birth to, and raising, a baby at this age.)

I was encouraged at the beginning of this thread because it looked like, for once, there was intelligent, respectful, and compassionate dialog going on between people who had differing views on a subject where there's normally little room for negotiation. I was genuinely moved by those of you who take a pro-life position but who could say "maybe...." I found myself trying to think through adoption as a genuine option here, but couldn't get past the thought of this little girl in labor (or having a C-section -- don't get me started, I've had two!). I saw careful wording and listening, and reminders of God's love for us in our human brokenness. And then the thread got hijacked by extremists. Sad.

Let us all pray for the physical, mental, and emotional healing of this little girl, and that her baby is resting in God's arms.

daisymay, [Not worthy!] thank you for your well-written arguments. You said everything I wanted to and then some.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd also like to say here, something in addition to my previous post.

My philosophical arguement laid out above would imply that if it were my daughter I would consider it wrong to have an abortion.

The practicality is that I would choose abortion for my own daughter.

And yes, this means my philosophy does not tally with the practicality. Is that hypocrasy? I don't know.

One thing I do know, is that to change one's philosophy to match one's actions is a low way to beat hypocrasy. It's like say you "beat" the high jump...but did so, not by jumping higher, but merely by lowering the bar.

I believe it would be, for want of a better word, sinful, for me to choose abortion were it my own daughter. Yet, I would look God in the face and choose abortion. Open definance.

For me, it would be a situation much like that Abraham was faced with over sacrificing Isaac.

However, barring special grace from God, I know I would be less faithful to God than Abraham was.

I cannot imagine anything more obscenely hateful than having to see my 9 year old daughter go through labour. On the other hand, I can't imagine anything more obscenely hateful than being in Abraham's position with Isaac.

However, in that case, God revealed his true nature in the moment that Abraham showed his faithfulness. I can only imagine that in some way we can not even comprehend, God might have done the same in this circumstance. We will never know. I don't blame anybody, if it were me, I'd have done the same. I'd have defied God. I'd have have openly committed an intentional sin. Then I'd have had to go before God and ask his forgiveness.

That's what grace is for. Bought at the price of another event which, superfically, seemed obscene.

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Mamacita,
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
How dare you. Either of you.

Please read:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Well, I'm celebrating that there were three doctors with the guts skill and compassion to take the initiative to help the girl. And that her parents were wise and strong enough to keep asking for that help. And for the people with banners who were supporting them to get it.

Thanks.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JL, you and I are clearly seeing different things in daisymay's comment. Please look at it in its original context and consider the following:

What I believe she is "celebrating" (and please see my comment below about that choice of word) is that some people who cared about this little girl took the initiative to help her, to come to her rescue. There is a subtle, but very important, difference between "celebrating" the courage of caring adults and "celebrating" the fact that an abortion has taken place. I see nothing in any of daisymay's other comments that suggest she would find an abortion something to be joyous about -- quite the opposite, in fact; she said that several times.
I suspect her use of "celebrating" was a rhetorical device, responding in kind to your post which you have to admit was accusatory in tone.

I repeat: I -- and I believe the other people on this thread who supported this girl having an abortion in this situation -- see the tragedy in the situation and are simply relieved. Again, let us all pray that she can heal and that the baby conceived in this tragic circumstance is resting with God.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fen:
quote:
The Mid:
a constant reminder of the brutality and horror and consequences of rape

Or a constant reminder of how God can actually bring life and goodness out of the most utterly screwed-up circumstances?
I did think of that when I was posting, however the thread hadn't really put me in a "glass-half-full" kind of mood.

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt the Mad Medic,

Respect! I appreciate your honesty.

I've always wondered if Abraham was so imbued with the culture of his age, which said that you had to sacrifice your first-born to your god, that he would have felt he was doing wrong by not sacrificing Isaac.

So God intervened by going along with that conscience of his, and then intervened further by providing the angel and the ram, thus teaching Abraham and all who have followed him, that child sacrifice is out of order, an abomination to the Lord.

Later on in Leviticus, God again makes sure that babies are not sacrificed by providing a sacrifice and redemption payment law instead.

Mamacita, spot on.
quote:
What I believe she is "celebrating" (and please see my comment below about that choice of word) is that some people who cared about this little girl took the initiative to help her, to come to her rescue. There is a subtle, but very important, difference between "celebrating" the courage of caring adults and "celebrating" the fact that an abortion has taken place. I see nothing in any of daisymay's other comments that suggest she would find an abortion something to be joyous about -- quite the opposite, in fact; she said that several times.
I suspect her use of "celebrating" was a rhetorical device, responding in kind to your post which you have to admit was accusatory in tone.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

- Posted      Profile for mimsey   Author's homepage   Email mimsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't get over the fact that this baby was aborted after four months. It's not that I disagree that this was the best course of action, or that I would have made the girl go through with childbirth. What makes me mad is the sheer amount of faffing that went on before it was finally done, while the situation got steadily worse and worse, so that instead of aborting the baby when it really was scarcely more than the "lump of cells" some people have been referring to, they waited until it had fingernails. And eyelashes. And could probably recognise its mother's voice.

Sorry for succumbing to the whole emotive thing; I realise it isn't effective argument. It just makes me livid, and very, very sad.

--------------------
Certitude! Certitude! Sentiment! Joie! Paix!

Posts: 217 | From: Deepest darkest Suffolk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, why were you surprised/shocked/upset/disappointed by extreme opinions being expressed on this thread?

Maybe you should read what hell is all about.

If it's reasoned discussion you're after (and for a Hell thread this has been incredibly reasoned, and noticably lacking in extreme vitriol...) go to Purgatory. people here need space to get mad with each other.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes Mimsey, I agree the whole thing was a complete unmitigated disaster from beginning to end. The fact it ended up being a 2nd trimester abortion just adds to the overall horribleness of the whole incident.

Bottom line is...I can't look at the situation from any angle and say "Well, yeah, in this aspect..God's will was done". This particular cloud just really doesn't have any kind of silver lining does it?

matt

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive the double post, but a word for those who think adoption is a worse option than abortion.

Please leave the planet now.

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What stupid, evil, bastards.

And I'm pro-life!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matrix.
It can be. I'm adopted, and may adoption was A1 OK. But that isn't always the case. Again, if you start from the 'life at all costs' position, I can understandf why you would draw this conclusion, but if you want to persue that position, someone really ought to tell the medical profession to stop advances that prolong length but not quality of life. Whilst we are at it, we can actually face up to the implications of this for the moral and theological questions which such advances make even more difficult.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Merseymike about the position that prolonging life (for those terminallly ill), concentrating on length rather than quality, is quite wrong. Nonetheless, I could never say adoption is as bad or worse than abortion. I've known many people (not necessarily adopted!) who have had all sorts of sufferings in their lives, and most of them would not at all have wanted to never live at all!

Here I am not referring to abortion, but am speaking in general terms -
For all that I believe in an afterlife, I think we need to be very careful about assuming that death is better than life. (I am not referring to those terminally ill - I am speaking of believing someone is better off never having lived than being adopted - or that, for example, someone who is disabled has it 'worse than death,' a position I have heard.) We have nothing solid about death against which to measure this.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Green Alien
Apprentice
# 1722

- Posted      Profile for Little Green Alien   Author's homepage   Email Little Green Alien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You're wrong.

As would an abortion be. The child needs all the love and help in the world, but so does her child.

They're both victims. Why victimise them further?

NO.
You are wrong. I am a Catholic myself, and strongly against abortion. But the catholic church definately allows an abortion in cases where pregnancy and childbirth threaten the life of the mother. See this essay at religioustolerance.org for an example. (It's all I could dig up quickly)

Posts: 10 | From: Evesham, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Newman ; I think though, that to present universal adoption as the panacea and solution , should legal abortion be abolished, is extremely foolish, and very probably inaccurate in terms of what actually would happen. My own feeling is that child abuse and neglect would be a more likely outcome.
And I do hope that those who believe this should be the legal change which takes place are prepared to pay for it in terms of the necessary welfare benefits and the subsequent tax rises. The votes of anti-abortion MP's with regard to the last round of cuts in single parent benefits didn't suggest that.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fen
Shipmate
# 4052

- Posted      Profile for Fen   Email Fen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When a child has been abused, if she can have sensible and helpful adults around her, helping her to get over the sexual asault and the physical consequences, she has more of a chance of recovery.

I hope this will be the case, of course.

I would disagree that they've started in the right way, but it's too late to change that now.

The Mid - fair enough. It could just as easily have ended up that way, too.

Posts: 103 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Green Alien,
The Catholic Church does not allow abortion if abortion is defined as the direct and intentional termination of the growth and development of the fetus. It allows procedures of which the death of the fetus is a "side effect." I don't know if this is what you meant or not, but I didn't find your statement very clear.

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 518 | From: Lala Land | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laudate, that is about as clear as mud.

If what you say is so, then the church policy-makers are (yet again) fudging the facts. Termination of pregnancy causes the death of the foetus, irrespective of the ways or means.

I presume that the procedures to which you refer you refer would be the removal of an unruptured tubal pregnancy so as to prevent the mother from suffering catastrophic internal blood loss from a ruptured ectopic, or else removal of a pregnant uterus for cervical cancer.

Unfortunately the church policy-makers might know their theology but generally they can't make a clear decision about reproductive matters because the vast majority are even more ignorant than the rest of us.

I suspect that they receive advice from "good Catholic" doctors who might not always be the best qualified to dispense it.

Just my 2 bob's worth,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Intentional killing of the unborn child is never permitted. Procedures which may result in the death of an unborn child as an undesired side-effect are permitted if the procedure is being undertaken in order to save the mother's life (this is the principle of double-effect.)

But if the only way to save the mother is to effect an abortion, then no, it is not permitted.

Hope that clears things up.

The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this question will be actually possible, but,

What if a woman was pregnant and for whatever reason the pregnancy threatened her life. If she doesn't have an abortion she will die. The doctors also know 100% that the baby will be still born (even though it is currently "alive"). Now, to go through with the birth results in a dead mother and a dead baby. To go through with an abortion results in a living mother. I know that this is probably an impossible theoretical question, however, JL and LD - what would your Catholic church do in this situation?

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

The Mid,

The deliberate killing of a person - regardless of how long they have left to live in this world - is impermissible. To deliberately kill the child in order to save the mother, even if the child will die anyway, is not permitted.

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why at momemts like these, we consult obstetricians, not priests.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

By "we", I'll assume you mean those who reject Catholic teaching.
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

No, mate. All women who are able to, will do so. The second best is the local wise woman. The last and worst is the witch doctor; they traditionally aren't much good at female conditions.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an overall question, JL - and I'm truly asking, not baiting. (As you know, I am hardly any abortion advocate - though I think that there could be serious problems that would result from legal prohibitions.)

I have some very old RC moral theology books which, though not speaking of the specific situation of abortion, do allow for cases where killing is possible if (and only if) death is inevitable. For example, if one were trapped under a burning vehicle, one could morally (though not legally, as far as I know!) shoot him to avoid his having the agony of being burnt alive. Though I don't think there would be too many situations today where a child who is alive in the womb would be guaranteed to be stillborn, is this a similar case?

What if someone taking fertility drugs were to conceive ten children at once? There is no chance for ten to survive in the womb. Would it be permissible to remove some of them in order that some may live?

It seems to me that cases such as those are the very ones which may be 'covered' by the Church of England's allowance for some individual cases where there is no choice.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

And now for the double post-even Victoria Gillick.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, excuse me for a moment, but perhaps I might recount and recast some of the previous dialogue in order to move this discussion away from the usual direction this sort of conversation usually tends?

This is a nine-year-old child. A little girl. She has suffered unspeakable violence, and by virtue of her age perhaps she more than more mature women is going to suffer even more violence regardless of what eventually happens to her.

It is staggering that a child that age would have reached menarche in the first place. My God, what a terrible concatenation of events that such a young child would be visited by such viciousness.

If a child that age carries a baby to term, then delivery will most likely be by cesarian section. Anasthesia. Major surgery. Cutting of abdominal muscles because her pelvis won't be developed enough to deliver the child. God only knows what health problems she will suffer later in life because she carried a child to term while she herself was still a child.

Terminating the pregnancy would be equally invasive for the mother--not to mention that it would kill the life (or potential life) she is carrying. Violence and more violence. Misery at every turn.

This strikes me as one of those terrible moral theology debates where all solutions to the dilemma have the nature of sin. The outcome of the debate, therefore, is a display of our rhetorical abilities to exacerbate or mitigate the implications of our actions as opposed to being able to discover the mind of God.

I suspect that regardless of what we do, the only possible moral outcome will be to cover our faces with our hands and pray with all our hearts, "My God, have mercy!"

Some things are not fixable. Some things just have to be covered by infinite mercy, because it is impossible to discover justice. Some decisions require courage in the face of God. I don't think God takes any particular satisfaction in setting us tests that have no answer and that tear our souls to shreds.

If I were in a more frivolous mood, I might observe that I planned to add this dilemma to my "What Were You Thinking?" list of things to Ask God. But this is too horrible, too terrible, for that.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laudate Dominum
Shipmate
# 3104

- Posted      Profile for Laudate Dominum   Author's homepage   Email Laudate Dominum   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well said, Tomb.

I cannot participate in this discussion any longer. I cry every time I read this thread, and I hope and pray this situation never occurs again. I don't think I can say anything more.

--------------------
"They think us barbarians because we cling to the past. We think them barbarians because they do not cling to the past." --G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 518 | From: Lala Land | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Well said, tomb.

You might be pleased to note that I have heard exactly the same said by a priest of my denomination and a Jesuit at that. I was enormously pleased.

The most foolish and counter-productive by-product of this thread has been the tendency of certain posters to make an inappropriate judgement on the morality and Christianity of those who do not accept a particular party line.

cheers,

m

I hope this thread dies a natural death and soon.

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find myself wishing I could find an excuse to abort this thread, even though it's in the fourth page-mester.

Jesuitical Lad: It may well be that you've backed your moral heinie into a corner, at least from the vantage point of this observer. I suggest that you give up on ranting about your theological moral imperatives, stop rising to the logic-baits that cleverer posters are using on you, and just start using some insults.

Matt the Mad Medic: Do you get called "moron" very often?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:

If a child that age carries a baby to term, then delivery will most likely be by cesarian section. Anasthesia. Major surgery. Cutting of abdominal muscles because her pelvis won't be developed enough to deliver the child. God only knows what health problems she will suffer later in life because she carried a child to term while she herself was still a child.

Terminating the pregnancy would be equally invasive for the mother--not to mention that it would kill the life (or potential life) she is carrying. Violence and more violence. Misery at every turn.

Misery, yes, totally agreed.

An abortion at twelve weeks is not so invasive, not nearly so invasive as a caesarean. It would be invasive, but more along the lines of a D&C. It would do less damage to a child physically and psychologically than a caesarean.

And here I'm beginning to believe more and more that moral theologians and dogmatists are not the ones to consult in cases like this. I'd go for a multipara, someone sensible and sensitive, not oversensitive and weepy. Not a head-in-the-air academic, someone who lives in the real world. Someone who is willing to get their hands dirty and get on with the necessary job.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
I have some very old RC moral theology books which, though not speaking of the specific situation of abortion, do allow for cases where killing is possible if (and only if) death is inevitable. For example, if one were trapped under a burning vehicle, one could morally (though not legally, as far as I know!) shoot him to avoid his having the agony of being burnt alive. Though I don't think there would be too many situations today where a child who is alive in the womb would be guaranteed to be stillborn, is this a similar case?

It's a similar case, but the books sound as if they're in error. After all, if one can legitimately kill a person to prevent them from experiencing suffering, then you have a Catholic endorsement of euthanasia.

Do you know which book the claim appears in? I'd be curious to find out more.

quote:
What if someone taking fertility drugs were to conceive ten children at once? There is no chance for ten to survive in the womb. Would it be permissible to remove some of them in order that some may live?
Again, there is nothing which can justify the deliberate killing of an innocent.

Tomb,

I agree.

RooK,

Thanks for the concern.

brodavid
Shipmate
# 460

- Posted      Profile for brodavid   Author's homepage   Email brodavid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
And JL, adoption is considered to be as bad as abortion by some.

WHAT?!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

On what basis?

--------------------
Brodavid

"Prayer can do anything that God can do."
- E.M. Bounds

Posts: 702 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
brodavid
Shipmate
# 460

- Posted      Profile for brodavid   Author's homepage   Email brodavid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Daisymay,

The missionary would not have been responsible for the mother's death, unless she engineered the situation in the first place. As for the rights issue - perhaps the language of rights isn't helpful. I think the pro-life position can be summarised thus:

1. The deliberate killing of an innocent is always wrong, and there are no circumstances which would justify resorting to such a wrong.
2. Abortion constitutes the deliberate killing of an innocent.
3. Abortion can never be justified.

This applies even in those tragic cases where the chances are that both lives will be lost. The situation must be accepted "as is", without recourse to immoral pseudo-remedies.

JL, I consider myself a strong pro-lifer, and I hereby deny you permission to speak for me. What you have described is the extremist, no-exceptions pro-life position, which most pro-lifers do NOT support.

--------------------
Brodavid

- E.M. Bounds

brodavid
Shipmate
# 460

What a train wreck, both in the poor girl's life and in this thread. [Disappointed]

JL, your "celebration" comment was out of line, and did much to nullify your previous apologies.

MerseyMike, I think the most constructive thing you could do right now would be to just shut up and let this thread fade away.

JL and Laudate Dominum:

For a woman to carry a pregnancy that threatens her life is an act of heroism, on par with running into a burning building to rescue a child. You don't mandate heroism. A little advice, quoted from a friend of mine, "You only get crucified once; choose your cross wisely." Wrong cross.

Don't bother replying; I will not be back. I humbly suggest that the hosts kill this one.

--------------------
Brodavid

- E.M. Bounds

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I find myself wishing I could find an excuse to abort this thread, even though it's in the fourth page-mester.

Rook, you tasteless "used to be Canadian". [Razz] I say the local Canadian trade office revoke your maple leaf icon for being such a twit. [Razz] If this is your attempt at humour, it failed...grossly. [Razz]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Brodavid,

Did I claim to speak for you? I don't recall doing so. I merely outlined what I hold to be an authentic pro-life position (call it "extremist", if it makes you feel better.) If you want to state circumstances in which you think procuring an abortion would be right/good/necessary/legitimate then no-one's stopping you. And you'd have plenty of company on this thread.

mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

- Posted      Profile for mimsey   Author's homepage   Email mimsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But JL, in a case where either mother and child must die together, or child must die and mother be saved, surely and abortion is not so much killing one as saving one?

What about that case a while ago, where siamese twins were born? The weaker one was sapping the strength of the stronger so that, unseparated, both would die. If they were separated, the weaker one (who was also brain-damaged) would certainly die, and the other would live. There again, surely to separate the twins was not to "kill" one, but to save the other? Or would you have left them both to die?

Posts: 217 | From: Deepest darkest Suffolk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Mimsey,

It's killing one to save the other. And I don't think the ends (the saving of one life) justify the means (murder) under any circumstances.
quote:
The weaker one was sapping the strength of the stronger so that, unseparated, both would die. If they were separated, the weaker one (who was also brain-damaged) would certainly die, and the other would live. There again, surely to separate the twins was not to "kill" one, but to save the other? Or would you have left them both to die?
First of all, a note about language. "The weaker one was sapping the strength of the stronger one" - we're talking about a human being here, not some parasite. The situation was tragic, but you'll recall that the Catholic parents - with the support of the Cormac Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor - wanted the children to be allowed to continue to live as long as possible, but die natural deaths without recourse to murder of one to save the life of the other. I think the State's interference, ordering the killing of one child, was criminal.
mimsey
Shipmate
# 3757

Well, the state going against the wishes of the parents was criminal, yes. But I think that's not what you meant.

I take it, then, that you would be in favour of euthanasia, which is after all letting someone die a natural death rather than prolonging their life with the use of a machine if you have the chance to do so? It's just that a few posts ago, you seemed to imply that turning off a life support machine was murder, so now I'm confused.

--------------------
Certitude! Certitude! Sentiment! Joie! Paix!

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

I don't quite follow why I should be in favour of euthanasia... could you explain?
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
....... The situation was tragic, but you'll recall that the Catholic parents - with the support of the Cormac Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor - wanted the children to be allowed to continue to live as long as possible, but die natural deaths without recourse to murder of one to save the life of the other. I think the State's interference, ordering the killing of one child, was criminal.

As against the criminal allowing of one to die for the sake of one who would die as well. [Roll Eyes] [Mad] That's f**king state assisted suicide for religious reasons. [Mad] [Mad]

[Proper Canadians, as the intellectual examples for the rest of the world, should always use Preview post - no matter how angry they are when they're posting.]

[ 25. February 2003, 02:29: Message edited by: RooK ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

OgtheDim,

Taking your endorsement of the principle that the ends justify the means for granted, I can't quite see how it would be state-assisted suicide. Could you explain? I don't think the little girl in question was asked whether she was willing to be killed so that her sister might live.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesuit Lad is talking about Gracie Attard (pictured here) and her sister, Rosie, the conjoined twins whose Catholic parents, backed by pro-life groups, initially went to court to stop the twins being separated.

A surgical separation was the only way to give Gracie a chance to live, but meant that her twin died as a result of the operation. ( both twins would have died of heart failure in months if the operation had not gone ahead.)

It's interesting to note what the parents say now

quote:
Despite their initial opposition, the couple have told newspapers they are relieved the judges stopped them from letting nature take its course, condemning both girls to death.
Mr Attard said

quote:
"My wife Rina and I didn't want to separate them ever. It was against our strong religious beliefs.

"Of course we're now happy that we still have Gracie - this is the greatest Father's Day gift I could ever have wished for."

It's funny how when people start sticking 'logically' to a belief, and demanding consistency come hell or high water, how it starts to have cruel, ridiculous and contradictory effects. Like trying to enforce that a little girl dies of heart failure along with her sister because you're 'pro-life'.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

The surgical "separation" entailed killing the weaker child, Louise - you twist the ethics of the case by misrepresenting it, since death was not a consequence of separation but a necessary precursor to it.

Of course the parents are happy to have a living daughter. Who wouldn't be? They're not culpable for the crime of killing their other daughter, and the conclusion one should draw is that God allows good to come out of the worst of human evils; not that deliberately killing innocents is somehow ethically justifiable because the parents now delight in their living daughter.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

JL,
You said,
quote:
I think the State's interference, ordering the killing of one child, was criminal.

We have child protection laws in this country that require us to act to save children's lives. They have been put in place by sensible legislators. That is why parents are not allowed to "allow a child to die" when she could be saved. They did not order the killing of one child; she was going to die soon anyway - they ordered the saving of the other child's life.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

# 3200

Apologies to JL - I did not see the thread change. I thought you were discussing the abortion situation. Missed a post.

But...you really should let us know what sort of cheese you want with your periodic imbibing about the amount of people on here who disagree with you.

--------------------

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
We have child protection laws in this country that require us to act to save children's lives. They have been put in place by sensible legislators. That is why parents are not allowed to "allow a child to die" when she could be saved. They did not order the killing of one child; she was going to die soon anyway - they ordered the saving of the other child's life.

She may well have been going to "die soon anyway" (like a lot of people in our society; does their right to life become negotiable too?) but the order was quite specific that one child should be killed so that the other could live longer than she would have done otherwise.

We are yet another step along the road to Nineteen Eighty-Four when "child protection laws" are invoked to defend the state's ordering of the killing of children.

OgtheDim,

I like Red Leicester, but I have never "whined" about people disagreeing with me. I've tried to show people why I think they're wrong - is that not allowed? Perhaps there's some Freedom of Speech law that requires I remain silent when I have dissenting opinions...

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The surgical "separation" entailed killing the weaker child, Louise - you twist the ethics of the case by misrepresenting it, since death was not a consequence of separation but a necessary precursor to it.
Um if you separate a baby with no functioning heart and lungs from the baby whose heart and lungs it is dependent on (and whose heart and lungs its needs were ultimately causing to fail) then it dies. You can also call that killing it. It doesn't alter the fact that it was right to do so, as it was the only way to save any life in that tragic case.

If the groups associated with your beliefs had had their way, Gracie would also be dead, but why let a little thing like that spoil your beautiful logic and high moral dudgeon, eh?

That's precisely what's wrong with the whole 'pro-life' thing when taken to extremes. It can turn legalistic and cruel. It can end up taking life and causing suffering. At that point surely, you have to ask yourself what has gone wrong and whether you have taken it too far.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

There is a refinement of Jung's concept of "masculine" and "feminine" (not male and female) which talks about the "static masculine". This type of character, at its most creative and compassionate, is the sort that founds orphanages, or societies and support groups to help groups of people, not individuals. It really feels for justice and truth, but in a detached sort of way.

The hellish distortion is when this character is so wedded to immoveable truth that they see no latitude for flexibility. Rigidity takes over and abuse takes place instead of loving care.

The cardinals of the inquisition move in. They mouth platitudes without comprehension, because they have lost the ability to think; their brains have fossilized.

Very scarey. It takes a lot to dissolve the brain cells and revitalize them.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016