homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: America (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: America
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hercule:
Most Americans generalize because that is as specific as they can get. Only the intellectuals--mainly on the left--make distinctions and nuancees and so forth. For this they are called less American or "un-American." So I think a conservative American intellectual would be one who writes books full of generalizations.

I wonder how you would categorize one who writes posts full of generalizations?

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Canada, however, will have to collectively stand before God and answer for Tom Green.

Egad, the SHAME! THE SHAME!
I feel so unclean.

It's not that I hate Americans. It's just that I hate everyone.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rook, psychologically speaking, when you hate others, it is actually something in yourself that is bothering you a heck of a lot..... Feel free to tell us what it is IN YOU that bugs you like this.... Not because we are nosy and curious, but for the purposes of prayer, naturally...

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this thread dead yet?

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
Isn't this thread dead yet?

Reader Alexis

It's like Simon - a mutant undead zombie, that JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
the Mid and others...let me clarify something.

LOOK...you can make alll theeee generalizations you want about what I eat for breakfast...what music I listen to...etc...I don't give a flying rat's you know what. [I eat bagels with cream cheese most of the time by the way..sometimes wheat bagels with fat free chream cheese and sometimes some fruit like a banana)...You can even
say I look like I laid an egg in my picture I posted (which somebody did...How did you know?)

What I mind though is:
You reading some free-basing book of "America is bad-bad...they are blah-blah" and then come in here and tell us stuff you read from a crack-smoker who has no clue about things in our politics! When you can't even get our govt right...or how our laws work (hint: read up on electrol voting...read up on the Bill of Rights...read up on the 3 branches of govt). If you believe Bill Clinton walks on Water and George Bush sucks eggs...at least have the decency to read up a whole heck of a lot before you make up your minds. Ignorant opinions from outsiders about our politics really bite dead farm animals with bacteria...please at least read up on BOTH SIDES...don't be lazy...read up....PLUUUUEEEZE.

Thank you.

GOD BLESS GEOGRGE W. BUSH and AMERICA, [Sunny]

Where on EARTH did this come from duchess? Who has been making generalisations about what you eat for breakfast? (And as if we care anyway?)

Actually, it sounds like you have just tied yourself up. Because you in the first place made a generalisation about Australia (that it was a penal colony) and then a generalisation about OUR breakfast food. Your breakfast food had nothing to do with it.

So sweetie, I think you just proved your own hypocrisy and a certain lack of integrity.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So is it normal practice in Oz to repay good-natured swipes about inconsequential matters by criticizing a person's character? I had a different impression and I will be sorry if I learn that I was mistaken.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc, I will get out of my humor mode and extend an olive branch to you. It is not my intent to flame you back. I would like to have some peace. I know this is hell and personal attacks are permissable and all that but I still request we make peace here. I honestly was trying to defuse the gun I saw fired at me, make the bullets you fired at me fall to the ground finally cause maybe you would finally laughed (it worked with mousethief before..I know he remembers).

I know others in here enjoy going at each others throats and all that...and I enjoy a taunt just like anyone else but this is getting a bit over the top for me. It seems you are truly angry at me and making a habit of just ripping at me personally rather than post something in the spirit of fun or just attack the issue I present.

Ruth and I already made peade...I apologized to her and we have exchanged e-mails (regarding the whole inerrantist/errantist thing in Headship). We don't have to agree to have some peace.

Will you accept an olive branch of peace from me, yes or no? It does not mean you have to agree with me nor does it mean that you must like me or "my kind". It just means maybe you and I can reach some kind of understanding...I do not wish to incite honsetly any hurtful or angry feeings that seem to be coming from you to me and will stop responding to any posts from you if that is the only thing I can do to make some peace occur between me and you. I am still a newbie in here and will make my lame mistakes, just like anybody else.

(Sorry to get heavy on you shipmates...do carry on).

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
Rook, psychologically speaking, when you hate others, it is actually something in yourself that is bothering you a heck of a lot..... Feel free to tell us what it is IN YOU that bugs you like this.... Not because we are nosy and curious, but for the purposes of prayer, naturally...

You've found me out.
I'm actually embarrassed to be human. I really rather thought that this turn of reincarnation I'd get to be one of those acrobatic swallows that fly under moving cars. Guess I'm just bitter.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nunc, I will get out of my humor mode and extend an olive branch to you. It is not my intent to flame you back. I would like to have some peace.

Duchess, if it was humour it was definitely not a sense of humour I identify with - and it really didn't come across that way. Some people may be won over by humour, sometimes humour is appropriate. It might be worth remembering that just as in real life there are many different people on the ship, all with different concepts of what constitutes humour. To be honest the "humour" you refer to came across as quite the opposite to me, and to a number of others. The comment about Australia was simply inappropriate.

If you do post inflammatory remarks in Hell you can expect to get fried. Believe me, I once started a thread wishing the Reformation had never happened and got done to a crisp!

quote:

I know this is hell and personal attacks are permissable and all that but I still request we make peace here. I honestly was trying to defuse the gun I saw fired at me, make the bullets you fired at me fall to the ground finally cause maybe you would finally laughed (it worked with mousethief before..I know he remembers).

I didn't see any such defusing. Or if it was, it was an odd way of doing it. And you are making yourself into the victim here - as I said above, in some ways you asked for it!

quote:

I know others in here enjoy going at each others throats and all that...and I enjoy a taunt just like anyone else

They do? (As far as I know, the only one here who enjoys baring his talons is tomb...) I don't. I posted out of my frustration with what you said, my frustration with opinions you hold, and particularly out of frustration with your views on inerrancy... Actually I should think it sick for someone to enjoy taunting others and not at all in the line of Christian behaviour - unless it was well and truly meant in lighthearted jest, and for this situation to arise, an atmosphere of trust has to develop between people who are posting (as in real life).

Let me give you an example. If I had said to Wood (Wood is a Baptist and he and I have had many run ins about ecclesiology, sacramental theology and the like) a year ago:

quote:
And of course we all know that Baptists are on the Other Side of the ecclesial pale.
he would probably have taken umbrage. After many disagreements, he and I have arrived at a mutual understanding and respect each other - and, I actually like him very much. So I could say to him:

quote:
And of course we all know that Baptists are well and truly on the Other Side of the ecclesial fence. [Wink] [Big Grin]
and he would probably reply with a witty comment.

I felt your jab at Australia was not within this sort of a context, especially given the kinds of behaviour you had exhibited on the Ship up until that point. My reaction to your Australia comment was in the context of having read other things you had written in other places.

It pays to get to know people, to get to know where they are coming from, before making the kinds of comments you did on the Headship thread. Trust me, I have learned from experience.

The reason I say this is because I am still ticked off that you can possibly think that liberal = errantist = someone who thinks the Bible is a collection of nice myths and fairytales - just because in your experience (key words those ones, good idea to use them when voicing stuff about your experiences so you can avoid generalisations - again a lesson I have learned here) your family and especially your father are agnostic errantist liberals.

Hang out on the Ship long enough and you will meet all varieties, liberal, Orthodox, Catholic and otherwise. Please make a point of respecting other people's beliefs, though you by no means have to agree with them. If you can let down the self-defensive blinkers you wear (and I am not criticising here, because I have been there, in fact I think we all wear blinkers to a degree... and this is especially so when our beliefs, no matter how well thought out and no matter how well convicted we might be of them, are in a reactionary stance to those of our mentors/parents etc.), if you will be prepared to learn from others, I think your horizons will widen and spread. Mine have. It doesn't mean you have to compromise belief, just be aware of how other people express theirs.

quote:

but this is getting a bit over the top for me. It seems you are truly angry at me and making a habit of just ripping at me personally rather than post something in the spirit of fun or just attack the issue I present.

I was not just ripping at you personally, though I was truly angry with you. In this case, the way in which you were expressing yourself was the issue for me. I hope that I have explained this adequately above.

quote:

Ruth and I already made peade...I apologized to her and we have exchanged e-mails (regarding the whole inerrantist/errantist thing in Headship). We don't have to agree to have some peace.

True, and this is good. If you have made peace, I hope you know how to go about keeping it! It can be tricky at times... (For example, I have to be careful whenever I talk about evangelicals in the Diocese of Sydney, and not merely include them in a generalisation about ALL evangelicals worldwide - because that is not only offensive of the evangelicals of integrity on the Ship, but also a gross misrepresentation of evangelicalism outside of Sydney.) Hence my warnings about how we express ourselves...

quote:

Will you accept an olive branch of peace from me, yes or no? It does not mean you have to agree with me nor does it mean that you must like me or "my kind". It just means maybe you and I can reach some kind of understanding...I do not wish to incite honsetly any hurtful or angry feeings that seem to be coming from you to me and will stop responding to any posts from you if that is the only thing I can do to make some peace occur between me and you. I am still a newbie in here and will make my lame mistakes, just like anybody else.

This is slightly condescending duchess. Do you understand why I was so upset? It really sounds from the tone of this paragraph (and indeed from the tone of most of your post) that you think this disagreement with me is an inconvenience and rather a bother. That to me doesn't sound like you understand why some of us, or I, might be upset by the way in which you have said certain things.

Unless we attempt to understand each other we are going to come into conflict again.

Actually, my best friend is a dyed in the wool Calvinist, and an inerrantist... So I do like some of "your kind"... [Wink] And one of the things converstation on the Ship has taught me is tolerance, more than tolerance, respect and sometimes love for many of those of differing opinions which formerly I reviled. I hope that this will also be true for you.

Let me give you a bit of the background from which I am coming.

I am Anglo-Catholic, theologically, liturgically, spiritually. The process by which I became this has been a long one, though I am not going to recount the whole thing here.

Duchess, my Dad is a hyperCalvinist who used to be much more extreme than he is now. I grew up memorising the Westminster Shorter Catechism and able to engage in pigheaded theological debates as a ten year old... I wish we had had more of the gospel than the law, but anyway, I think my parents were doing their best.

In consequence, after I was converted (as an Anglican at the age of 18), it took years to overcome the tenseness and hackle-rising reaction whenever certain phrases were used. The "Law-Word of God" is one such phrase I still can't stand! And there are many like it. I have worked hard in the last year on overcoming this (having a Calvinist best friend who thinks you are on a shaky road helps), and have sorted through many of the issues I had with my Dad. We understand each other a lot better now, though our beliefs are at rightangles to each other in some things.

I mention this, because as I alluded to earlier, we both stand in intellectual/spiritual postitions which are in a way reactive against our fathers': yours is an errantist, mine is a Calvinist inerrantist; you are a ?Calvinist inerrantist, I am a catholic liberal (unsure as yet about the inerrancy thing, though I have heard it expounded as not incompatible with a liberal catholic view of Scripture). I really believe that those of us like you and me who do occupy such positions have to be doubly careful to understand other peoples' beliefs and be courteous and respectful of them.

You offer an olive branch. If you understand what I have said, I should hope I can accept and we can at least have peace...

ThoughtCriminal
Shipmate
# 3030

- Posted      Profile for ThoughtCriminal   Email ThoughtCriminal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just ask, why are people here so emotionally attached to their nationality? We are not of this world, let alone of such a petty, ephemeral creation of greedy, murderous and power-hungry men as a nation-state.

I consider myself to be of no nationality except of the Kingdom of God [Smile] [Sunny] [Yipee] , and therefore do not feel insulted in the slightest when "the British" are described negatively.

Of course, in America (not only in America, I hasten to add) Christianity itself (or rather a distorted, vulgarised version of it) is tied up into hubristic Nationalism.

War mongering executioners like Bush and Blair declaring themselves "Christians"... [Projectile]

--------------------
"These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15: Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night within his temple; and he who sits upon the throne will shelter them with his presence.
16: They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat.
17: For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Posts: 126 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nunc,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I did feel like you were picking on me personally rather than issues I put forth (the comments like "lack of integrity" and "we don't care what you have for breakfast"...and "don't push your views on me" (I paraphrased from memory but they are all in this thread). I never once put you down albeit I did have stabs at Austrailian breakfast's and the way Austrailia was formed.

I do see good natured taunts (ribbing) going back and forth on SoF all the time. I meant my posts in that manner, not to literally put any country down or group of people, even if it came off that way.

When you tell me I am "lacking in integrity" to me that is pretty cold. It seemed like you just wanted to keep putting me down and yes, there was no other way I could see it but as personal since you didn't preface it like "you Calvinists lack integrity since you all...blah lbah" or "you inerrantists all lack integrity since you all ..." I do consider myself an honest person, albeit fallen person and I felt like I was going to finally start flaming you back with "takes one to know one" type comments. That is not my intent though (to be in a flame war), so I bit my tongue and reframed.

I am sorry about my comment re: the Penal Colony. I did not mean in any shape or form to put down Austrailia. My church has planted a church there in Brisbane and someday I plan on going there to visit. I do not look down on Oz and did not mean any disrespect.

I have a very strange sense of humor and I will be the first to admit, it doesn't always make sense. I don't like the extreme vulgar/swearing I see in here (just kind of browse past it) but I am sure some do that past my posts too when I get out there on a limb as well.

I guess you ironically have a dad with similar views as me. My dad is a bit agnositic, as you guessed, but he gives sermons (!) at the church he goes to (they let people get up there and have a go at that sort of thing). I have even critqued his first sermon at that church. I do know your views are much more different from my dad(for one, you are a Catholic, I am assuming a RCC one, not Orthodox).

Like you and your dad, my dad and I had our run ins. He has accepting his 5 point Calvinist daughter since he is starting to understand I don't hate gays...don't condemn people for reading Harry Potter...etc. I think he finally realised I do not agree with the 700 Club on everything in Theology.

Anyway, RCC holds the bible to be true, but supplements it with church doctrine (that is my understanding). (RCC believes Jesus did actually rise from the dead...etc). They also count the 2nd deutrocanonical books (which Protestants do not) in the bible (Macabees...Judith...) and base some church doctrine on. Salvation is through the Catholic church to the RCC (pointing to Jesus Christ)...for evangelical Protestants salvation is through the bible (pointing to Jesus Christ).

That is why I get very upset when people don't take the bible literally, since to me, it is Salvation (not to start a debate here). I see it disrepectful to the Lord to not believe the bible really happened (again, not to start a debate, just explaining why I said what I said). The story of Jonah for example says he was in the fish for "3 days". The "3 days" verse is from Hebrew, an idiom that can mean a few hours or 3 days. The 4th Chapter is often overlooked of Jonah, which is the whole point of the point...he is bitter against the Ninevah people and would rather die than go into town and share the gospel with them since he can not overcome his anger at the people, even to do what God commanded Him to do (chapter 4). My whole family makes jokes about this book to me since I do take it literally (Jesus refers to this story in Matthew when he brings up His death and life in 3 days)...I have a hard time with the whole "it never happened" thing. The bible has over 500 manuscripts and tons of historical artifacts supporting it, I do not see this story as a proverb.

Anyway, this story reminds me that no matter how I feel (and I felt pretty upset by your posts), I don't want to be a Jonah sitting out by a tree in 110 degree heat...and the tree gets eaten by a worm...and I won't get over myself enough to try to extend even a smidgen of grace to people compared to the bucket loads of grace God extended to me.

Thanks for taking the olive branch. In the future I will try to be more considerate.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Salvation is through the Catholic church to the RCC (pointing to Jesus Christ)...for evangelical Protestants salvation is through the bible (pointing to Jesus Christ).

Nunc is an Anglican, but perhaps a Roman Catholic will address what you say about them. I'm sure that what you say about evangelical Protestants is what some believe, but I'd be willing to bet not all of them subscribe to this idea.

I for one am glad that my salvation depends not on the church or the Bible but on the Christ.

Also, we haven't "exchanged" PMs, duchess, because you haven't read mine yet! You may think we've made peace, but I don't - we've called a truce. I will continue to oppose many of your views and the way you express them.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
for evangelical Protestants salvation is through the bible (pointing to Jesus Christ).

For a minority that perform idolatory centred on the Bible, possibly.

For the rest of us, that is a pretty damn offensive thing to say.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In OCism, salvation is through Christ and effected by the Holy Spirit. Church membership is not sufficient, as the case of Joseph Djugashvili makes all too painfully clear.

Reader Alexis

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
quote:
for evangelical Protestants salvation is through the bible (pointing to Jesus Christ).

For a minority that perform idolatory centred on the Bible, possibly.

For the rest of us, that is a pretty damn offensive thing to say.

Well, we've probably hit a cultural brick wall here. Actually, what duchess wrote is a pretty common American evangelical formulary.

But then, as we have painfully learned on the Ship, "evangelicalism" in the US is not the same thing as "evangelicalism" in the UK.

I suspect that duchess would be surprised to learn that her statement was "damn offensive" (correct me if I'm wrong, duchess).

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, yes.

Ham'n'Eggs & the tombster are quite correct.

That statement is flippin' offensive to a UK evangelical.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tombster?!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
Ham'n'Eggs & the tombster are quite correct.

I hear tomb is needing to sharpen his claws. How nice of you to provide a scratchpad [Wink]

Viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Duchess were to attempt to discuss matters in Purgatory instead of treating Hell as if it were some kinda chill-out bar where she can open her mouth and let it all hang out (and blabber all over threads that are not appropriate for her to be on), she may find it to her benefit.

If she keeps dumping her crock in here, she will get roasted. Not a threat. Just a statistical probability.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Ruth, I have read your e-mail. I read the alert which contains the e-mail body of the pm. I have not responded since I figured you wanted me to read through your posts on what you wrote about the bible before I replied back to you [you have a link you put in one of your posts]. Since I have recently had time constraints, I have not been able to set aside time to peruse it. I am glad we have a truce and that you feel my views are important enough and worthy of your time to oppose them.

Salvation is (of course!) through Jesus Christ. I take the view of Sola Scriptura, that God speaks to primarly through his word, that we learn what is expected of us, how He thinks and how we should act though His Word. Catholics to my knowledge take the view that He speaks through the primarly through the Catholic church...that they guide you through the bible. If that is not true, feel free to set me straight.

I made the mistake of not prefacing my post with "some" for evangelicals [mainly those of the Reformed branch]. Tomb, you are quite right, I that what I had no idea that was considered an offensive statement to some. I hope I have clarified that.

I worship God, not the bible, but I do hold the good book in high esteem, reading it to try to understand Whom God is and how He thinks. Worshipping the Good Book would be against Commandment #1 & #2, smart-aleck-Hamsneggs. [Wink]

To explain myself a little further, good ol' Pastor Jim Myers of a church I used to go to put it this way..."Want to know God's will? Read the bible."

[fixed typo]

[ 15 July 2002, 23:14: Message edited by: tomb ]

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

Thanks for the clarification duchess. The reason why it is offensive to many evangelicals is there are some who do appear to elevate Scripture to the position of worshipping it. But this is a subject for Purgatory, so I'll butt out...

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Ham'n'Eggs:
If Duchess were to attempt to discuss matters in Purgatory instead of treating Hell as if it were some kinda chill-out bar where she can open her mouth and let it all hang out (and blabber all over threads that are not appropriate for her to be on), she may find it to her benefit.

If she keeps dumping her crock in here, she will get roasted. Not a threat. Just a statistical probability.

So sue me for being a laid back Californian.

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Hey Ham'n'Eggs, I need your help. Since I don't want make the same mistake as duchess, could you please post of list of the threads which are appropriate for me to be on?

Thanks ever so much.

scot

--------------------

Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

You mean that you aren't capable of reading a thread and taking notice of when an admin says "All you guys except X, Y and Z butt out"?

Can't help you there, I'm afraid.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You never know Ham'n'Eggs Scott might learn to read some time before posting, but I wouldn't put much money on it.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
You never know Ham'n'Eggs Scott might learn to read some time before posting, but I wouldn't put much money on it.

That will be the day...when you spell his name right.

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Nunc,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

[Wink] And thanks for the clarity of yours.

quote:

I did feel like you were picking on me personally rather than issues I put forth (the comments like "lack of integrity" and "we don't care what you have for breakfast"...and "don't push your views on me" (I paraphrased from memory but they are all in this thread). I never once put you down albeit I did have stabs at Austrailian breakfast's and the way Austrailia was formed.

Yes I used the term lack of integrity and it was a personal remark, but not a generalised comment; I was commenting on how you appeared to generalise about what Australians eat for breakfast (although really, be honest, you've never been here, you wouldn't know) - and then complaining that we had generalised about what you eat for breakfast. This to me shows a lack of integrity - take it or leave it - if you complain about people generalising about you, don't generalise about them (now, where did I read that, in the Sermon on the Mount?). It had nothing to do with whether or not you are a Calvinist, and anyway, if I had made a blanket statement about Calvinists lacking integrity I would have been roasted, as several shipmates have promised you above. [Wink] And, if I feel someone is treading on me I believe I have the space to be able to say, "By all means hold your views, but don't force them on me." I would accord you the same right if I were to start bashing on about how those who don't believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Sacrament are Hell-bound (not that I believe this).

quote:

I do see good natured taunts (ribbing) going back and forth on SoF all the time. I meant my posts in that manner, not to literally put any country down or group of people, even if it came off that way.

Yes I know taunts go back and forth. But as I said above, it happens largely between people who know each other reasonably well, between whom an atmosphere of trust has developed. Most of it is genuinely light-hearted. But if that atmosphere of trust is lacking I feel some of it becomes very borderline.

Witness for example the exchange above - your last post to do with Scot's name being incorrectly spelt. There is an obvious division here where you perceive Scot to be "on your side" and so are sticking up for something he said. I feel the whole exchange was rather dubious/borderline, especially given the obvious "us" versus "them" mentality you and Scot have got happening.

Humour is a good thing. We must be careful how we use it.

quote:

When you tell me I am "lacking in integrity" to me that is pretty cold. It seemed like you just wanted to keep putting me down and yes, there was no other way I could see it but as personal since you didn't preface it like "you Calvinists lack integrity since you all...blah lbah" or "you inerrantists all lack integrity since you all ..." I do consider myself an honest person, albeit fallen person and I felt like I was going to finally start flaming you back with "takes one to know one" type comments. That is not my intent though (to be in a flame war), so I bit my tongue and reframed.

Ok. What is the difference between pointing out something about someone else's behaviour and making a personal attack? I think a personal attack would be along the lines of "Your mother was a bitch and you are a cantankerous loser," without any explanation.

I have not attacked you, but rather pointed out an inconsistency (or several) in your approach, and inconsistency, yes, that is not entirely lacking in my own conduct at times. As you say, we are bruised reeds...

I am glad you bit your tongue and refrained from flaming me back - I think it is far more constructive to be having this discussion. Having said that, I do feel it neeeded to get to this point...

quote:

I am sorry about my comment re: the Penal Colony. I did not mean in any shape or form to put down Austrailia. My church has planted a church there in Brisbane and someday I plan on going there to visit. I do not look down on Oz and did not mean any disrespect.

That's great. Although [Frown] I worry about your church doing a plant here. We are not all barbarian cannibals you know, and the churches here are not remiss in preaching and living the gospel. It would be lovely to have you out here - and we shall organise a shipmeet.

quote:

I guess you ironically have a dad with similar views as me. My dad is a bit agnositic, as you guessed, but he gives sermons (!) at the church he goes to (they let people get up there and have a go at that sort of thing). I have even critqued his first sermon at that church. I do know your views are much more different from my dad(for one, you are a Catholic, I am assuming a RCC one, not Orthodox).

Don't assume too much. Looks like you have a bit of learning to do!!! [Big Grin]

I am an Anglo-Catholic. An Anglican who has a catholic understanding of things. But yes, your dad and I don't share many common views... Although you say he goes to church? Id be interested which one...

quote:

Anyway, RCC holds the bible to be true, but supplements it with church doctrine (that is my understanding). (RCC believes Jesus did actually rise from the dead...etc). They also count the 2nd deutrocanonical books (which Protestants do not) in the bible (Macabees...Judith...) and base some church doctrine on. Salvation is through the Catholic church to the RCC (pointing to Jesus Christ)...for evangelical Protestants salvation is through the bible (pointing to Jesus Christ).

I think it might be worthwhile starting a thread about how Catholics, Roman, Orthodox and Anglican, perceive the Bible, and what esteem they hold it in. If you are really interested...

Anglicans hold a triad as very important: imagine a triangle with Scripture at the top, and at the other corners Tradition and Reason. Scripture has primacy, but tradition interprets it, and reason helps to sift interpretation.

We are saved by Grace: and this grace comes to us in faith, in the sacraments, in tradition, in the bible, and all gifts we are given.

No catholic believes him/herself to be saved through the church - although they will say that grace comes through the church especially in the sacraments, and that to not be in the church availing oneself of those graces(sacraments) is folly. However, I think you will find all Christians should agree that we are saved through Christ, the Way the Truth and the Life.

Catholics have a different perception of revelation to "evangelical Protestants" (I am not exactly sure which group you are referring to, as I can think of three at least that go by that name and all are very different). Sola Scriptura is inaccurate for a number of reasons - I will not go into them here as there are several threads that have treated the topic ad nauseam. One reason it is inaccurate is that at some point in reading it someone has to interpret it, whether the individual reading it at home, or the minister/pastor-person up the front expounding it. When someone does interpret Scripture it is usual to turn to a commentary (especially in difficult passages) or some other guide. (Baaaad memories of Sunday afternoon bible studies where my dad would read a passage and then get out Calvin and Rushdoony and Matthew Henry.) In other words, one refers to other sources or "authorities" to get a better picture of what the words say and mean.

Catholics simply take this further and say that the church interprets Scripture; it was the church that decided at the ecumenical councils which books were canonical and which were not... The book Protestants uphold was not decided upon until around the 700s (IIRC). It was not dropped down from heaven into the lap of Luther or anyone else. There were several books that almost got rejected (James being one) and several books that almost qualify as canonical but which for some reason were omitted - several letters from different apostles and disciples of the apostles.

God obviously had enough confidence in the church/had obviously sent his Spirit upon it so that it might make the right decisions about what was to become the bundle of books that go by the reputation of having been "breathed" by God. I do not believe the Spirit has left the church, and therefore it has Christ's own authorisation to declare things "bound"/"unbound" on earth. It also means that we are subject to that Spirit of God; we are not subject to the black and white print on the pages of one's tatty little NIV(had mine for about 17 years... and boy is it tattered!).

As an Anglican I see the deuterocanonical books as "helpful for instruction" and the Anglican lectionary includes readings from them.

quote:

That is why I get very upset when people don't take the bible literally, since to me, it is Salvation (not to start a debate here). I see it disrepectful to the Lord to not believe the bible really happened (again, not to start a debate, just explaining why I said what I said). [Jonah story omitted...]

Anyway, this story reminds me that no matter how I feel (and I felt pretty upset by your posts), I don't want to be a Jonah sitting out by a tree in 110 degree heat...and the tree gets eaten by a worm...and I won't get over myself enough to try to extend even a smidgen of grace to people compared to the bucket loads of grace God extended to me.

Forgive me, but I am a tad confused. Do you see me as someone who needs to be extended grace - to be saved? (Every minute of every day, to be sure...) But I have to say I find it offensive that you perceive that catholics (or those who are not Sola Scriptura-ists) need to be saved as though they aren't (although it would be consistent with a calvinist system of belief).

However, I am glad you are trying to show grace. Though I am again a bit worried, because this is the second time you have told us how restrained you have been, how good you have been not to bite my head off. I don't understand what you are trying to do, but it comes across to me as slightly manipulative: "Look how good I have been, how I have been trying to exemplify Christ; and what are you doing but poking me and flaming me?"

Sorry, but I don't find this convincing.

quote:

Thanks for taking the olive branch. In the future I will try to be more considerate.

Thanks for this. I am glad. However, I think you and I and a number of others are going to come into quite a bit of conflict of views and perspectives, partly through what seems to be a different use of language, partly through continental/cultural differences, and partly because we are failing to understand each other's way of expressing things.

Let's call a truce, as Ruth says. But let's not pretend it is peace - because it patently cannot be until we understand each other more. And that means both an effort on my part to put aside the hackles that rise at the thought of fundamentalist evangelical sola scriptura-ist protestantism, and an effort on your part not to offend (please be very careful with this - I know you were not being deliberately offensive above, but then this is a case in point, where languge usage, however innocent, confuses meaning), to learn and understand where others are coming from, and - never to assume! [Wink]

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Nightlamp, unless you (or H'n'E) can substantiate that in any way, I think we can all safely assume you are talking directly out of your ass. I am only aware of one host asking everyone to stay off of a thread to which I was posting. Of course I did so without further comment.

In short, if you have a legitimate and specific beef with me, then let's hear it. Otherwise, piss off.

scot

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
<snip!> Witness for example the exchange above - your last post to do with Scot's name being incorrectly spelt. There is an obvious division here where you perceive Scot to be "on your side" and so are sticking up for something he said. I feel the whole exchange was rather dubious/borderline, especially given the obvious "us" versus "them" mentality you and Scot have got happening.

Humour is a good thing. We must be careful how we use it.

2 things...the exchange between HamNEggs and Nightlamp...and my fondness for Scot.

quote:
I have not attacked you, but rather pointed out an inconsistency (or several) in your approach, and inconsistency, yes, that is not entirely lacking in my own conduct at times. As you say, we are bruised reeds...
Well, what way would you have me take it? That you are a member of the duchess fan club? Well, in any case, you are are right...we are bruised reeds (and for some reason I think of the song "Blowing in the Wind)...

quote:
That's great. Although [Frown] I worry about your church doing a plant here. We are not all barbarian cannibals you know, and the churches here are not remiss in preaching and living the gospel. It would be lovely to have you out here - and we shall organise a shipmeet.
Lord have mercy...it was not a slight on Australia to plant a church...it was an act of love. Not too many reformed churches in at least that area of Oz so some felt called to plant one. Thanks for the offer of meeting me at a shipmeet. Hopefully someday I will get out there, God willing and the well don't rise. [Big Grin]

quote:
I am an Anglo-Catholic. An Anglican who has a catholic understanding of things. But yes, your dad and I don't share many common views... Although you say he goes to church? Id be interested which one...
this is the church that I came from in my youth and my dad still attends. http://www.ucc.org
quote:
Anglicans hold a triad as very important: <snip! portion explaining triangle>We are saved by Grace: and this grace comes to us in faith, in the sacraments, in tradition, in the bible, and all gifts we are given.
Agreed. I also might add, we can extend grace to each other by showing patience, love, charity...all those things Christ does for us.

quote:
No catholic believes him/herself to be saved through the church - although they will say that grace comes through the church especially in the sacraments, and that to not be in the church availing oneself of those graces(sacraments) is folly. However, I think you will find all Christians should agree that we are saved through Christ, the Way the Truth and the Life.
I have read statements like the following that make me believe that Catholics church leaders believe that Christ works through the church to save everyone...all inclusive...please see example I am posting here:

"At the same time we also acknowledge and up hold that "there is no salvation outside the Church". This means that any person who is saved, Catholic or baptized or not, is saved only because of the merits of Jesus Christ mediated through the Church which He founded." - Fr Z
(hopefully link will work that leads to this from Catholic.org) http://forum.catholic.org/discussion/messages/41/2947.html?93905585

quote:
Sola Scriptura is inaccurate for a number of reasons - I will not go into them here as there are several threads that have treated the topic ad nauseam.
You wouldn't be the first and you wouldn't be the last.

quote:
One reason it is inaccurate is that at some point in reading it someone has to interpret it, whether the individual reading it at home, or the minister/pastor-person up the front expounding it. When someone does interpret Scripture it is usual to turn to a commentary (especially in difficult passages) or some other guide. (Baaaad memories of Sunday afternoon bible studies where my dad would read a passage and then get out Calvin and Rushdoony and Matthew Henry.) In other words, one refers to other sources or "authorities" to get a better picture of what the words say and mean.
I have heard that arguement before, that people need the church to interpet the Scripture. I can agree that it is good to have church leadership to go to to ask questions (I do this myself). In my church, the Greek and Hebrew is explained to us for many words. The elders have learned and studied the languages and bring their knowledge to the church. That is the reason I went to my particular church (which is Reformed Camp of Theology) from other evangelical churches. I wantedto know what things meant. I disagree (of course! I am a Calvinist!) that the Catholic church has the corner on the truth when it comes to the bible.

quote:
Catholics simply take this further and say that the church interprets Scripture; it was the church that decided at the ecumenical councils which books were canonical and which were not... The book Protestants uphold was not decided upon until around the 700s (IIRC). It was not dropped down from heaven into the lap of Luther or anyone else. There were several books that almost got rejected (James being one) and several books that almost qualify as canonical but which for some reason were omitted - several letters from different apostles and disciples of the apostles.
Agreed, well..the history portion. The Holy Spirit ultimately interpets the bible for us, which is why one must pray before reading the Good Word. It also is needed to read up and study on it.

quote:
God obviously had enough confidence in the church/had obviously sent his Spirit upon it so that it might make the right decisions about what was to become the bundle of books that go by the reputation of having been "breathed" by God. I do not believe the Spirit has left the church, and therefore it has Christ's own authorisation to declare things "bound"/"unbound" on earth. It also means that we are subject to that Spirit of God; we are not subject to the black and white print on the pages of one's tatty little NIV(had mine for about 17 years... and boy is it tattered!).
The Catholic church threw Luther out...he did not leave of his own free will. It would have been great if we all could be one inclusive church, but that for some reason was not to be. The Church has many lovely things going for it and then some things I can not agree with (like asking saints to pray for me, indulgences...etc)...but that is another thread.

quote:

As an Anglican I see the deuterocanonical books as "helpful for instruction" and the Anglican lectionary includes readings from them.

Macabees is seen as going against Scripture by Protestants, another thread would start...not meaning to. Anyway, they are considered historical books by many Protestants but not God-breathed.

quote:
Forgive me, but I am a tad confused. Do you see me as someone who needs to be extended grace - to be saved? (Every minute of every day, to be sure...) But I have to say I find it offensive that you perceive that catholics (or those who are not Sola Scriptura-ists) need to be saved as though they aren't (although it would be consistent with a calvinist system of belief).
glad you checked in here instead of getting an assumption going on. I meant to say "I want so badly to go off on you...but I must restrain myself since my wicknesses has been given grace by Jesus." No one can touch the grace Jesus gives...but emulate Him, we must try. I am certainly not any better than anybody. If I came off haughty, that was not my intent. God does the saving, of whom He chooses. Jesus save those who call on Him outside of religion, that is something I believe. Some Hyper Calvinists say that you can not be saved and not be a Calvinist, that is something I highly disagree with.

quote:
However, I am glad you are trying to show grace. Though I am again a bit worried, because this is the second time you have told us how restrained you have been, how good you have been not to bite my head off. I don't understand what you are trying to do, but it comes across to me as slightly manipulative: "Look how good I have been, how I have been trying to exemplify Christ; and what are you doing but poking me and flaming me?"
Sorry, but I don't find this convincing.

Whatever. Jesus gets the glory of me biting my tongue, it is not me, it is Him that restrains my wicked tongue. I have gone off enough alone in this place to show I am no better than anybody else.

quote:
Thanks for this. I am glad. However, I think you and I and a number of others are going to come into quite a bit of conflict of views and perspectives, partly through what seems to be a different use of language, partly through continental/cultural differences, and partly because we are failing to understand each other's way of expressing things.
Yes, I agree.

quote:
Let's call a truce, as Ruth says. But let's not pretend it is peace - because it patently cannot be until we understand each other more. And that means both an effort on my part to put aside the hackles that rise at the thought of fundamentalist evangelical sola scriptura-ist protestantism, and an effort on your part not to offend (please be very careful with this - I know you were not being deliberately offensive above, but then this is a case in point, where languge usage, however innocent, confuses meaning), to learn and understand where others are coming from, and - never to assume! [Wink]
Agreed.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we get back to Manifest Destiny?

(As Kelly dives into a foxhole)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scot I couldn't resist joining in Ham'n'Eggs wind up.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
...In short, if you have a legitimate and specific beef with me, then let's hear it. Otherwise, piss off.

Good Lord, not again!
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is indeed a grave and most terrible day.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

Sorry, Nightlamp. I misinterpreted your comment as the real thing instead of the well-deserved (by me) cheap shot that it was.

I shall now go and self-flagellate until I rid myself of this unseemly sensitivity.

scot

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Gawd, isn't this thread dead yet?

Alexis

--------------------

Bishop Joe
Shipmate
# 527

- Posted      Profile for Bishop Joe   Email Bishop Joe       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this is fine, but what has it to do with the price of tea in Boston Harbor? [Wink]
Posts: 150 | From: Chicago, IL USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016