homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Are other Christians really Christian? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Are other Christians really Christian?
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
The recipient's beliefs... ...do affect whether or not that recipient is worthy to receive.

I'm sure that's not right, taken as a proposition in everyday language.

First, none of us are worthy to (i.e. deserve to)receive God. As all Catholics acknowledge in the words of the Mass.

Second, I'm sure that in your everyday life you don't believe that people who don't share your view on things are thereby necessarily any less worthy than you are. Why should you suddenly take a judgemental attitude when it comes to people who don't share your views on the metaphysics of religion ?

Third, we all agree that the communion wafer and wine remain, chemically, wafer and wine. We all agree that they symbolize the Body and Blood of Christ. The fact that you hold a philosophy which deems the symbolic meaning to be "real" and the chemical composition merely apparent, and others don't, does not lead to any valid conclusion about the reverence with which Catholics and Protestants approach the Eucharist, or their need for the Grace that God can choose to convey through the Eucharist. Or, as far as I can see, any other criterion by which one cold judge (if one felt that judging was appropriate) who is worthy (i.e. deserving) of the Lord's Supper.

I have no problem with non-sacramental Christians. I have a problem with people who talk about the Eucharist as a focus of unity while doing their best to turn it into the opposite.

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anselmina,

If you think Kenwritez's definition is sufficient, then that's simply further evidence of the chasm that exists between us and the sham that intercommunion would constitute.

If I do think Kenwritez's definition is sufficient, then it could be further evidence of my having a slightly more open approach, than some others, to the challenge of walking a mile in someone else's shoes before passing a negative judgement on their experience and understanding of the Eucharist. Or at least a desire to demonstrate a respect of how fellow Christians experience Christ in and through the Eucharist.

As for what constitutes a 'sham' with regard to intercommunion, I know what you're saying, but I think I'd still much rather leave the final verdict to God on what is real and what isn't.

Any progress yet on my question?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
The recipient's beliefs... ...do affect whether or not that recipient is worthy to receive.

I'm sure that's not right, taken as a proposition in everyday language.

First, none of us are worthy to (i.e. deserve to)receive God. As all Catholics acknowledge in the words of the Mass.

You're quite right. Whilst at Mass today, I realised I'd used the language of worthiness in one of my posts on this thread, and it's not appropriate.

Please understand what I meant in terms of disposition, rather than status.

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Any progress yet on my question?

I'm not sure I know which question you mean...
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many apologies, JL, I must have been speaking too softly again! I'm often accused of that, though rarely during worship! [Wink]

Let me repeat:

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kenwritez:
Communion, as I understand it, is the rememberance of the Passion of Christ, a rememberance of His life and His death, His sufferings and His resurrection afterward. Am I incorrect in this definition?

Ok, well, for a Catholic such a definition is woefully deficient, for starters.

'Deficient' according to whom? The RCC, JL or God? It's possible that for Christians, including Catholic Christians, who have read Luke 22, Kenwritez's description might be more than sufficient as a definition of what's going on in the Eucharist.

If a Catholic were not able to give the definition JL does for the Eucharist, to whom is the 'deficit' in knowledge and understanding owed? Who is being shortchanged? Certainly not Christ, if the passage from Luke is anything to go by.

It's really just a question of clarification on your comment that Catholics would find Kenwritez's definition 'deficient'. This implies that if a Catholic was not able to come up with your very fine definition of Eucharist, they would somehow be letting someone or something down, by not having a sufficient knowledge of the Sacrament. I was just wondering to whom they owed the debt of having a sufficiency of knowledge about their Sacrament, that's all.

I further suggested that if it were to God, then it was a possibility that Kenwritez's definition being based on a gospel account of Christ's institution of the Eucharist, might well be considered amply sufficient.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reccall a survey Mr. Gallup conducted a few years ago among American Roman Catholics. I cannot provide a citation, but my memory is holding up fairly well during my golden years.

The question involved the nature of the Mass. A bare plurality of respondents professed belief in transubstantiation. This group was followed by approximately one third of those surveryed, who subscribed to a response that basically boiled down to the doctrine of the real presence. More than one quarter felt that the Mass is a memorial only and that the bread and wine are purely symbolic.

Greta

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, I would guess that a similar survey among Anglicans would produce roughly the following:

Real presence: 60%

Symbolic only: 35%

Transubstantiation: 5%

Greta

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget there are quite a few Anglicans who subscribe to Receptionism too,which is somewhere between Real Presence and Memorial.I myself would subscribe to the idea of the real presence of the Risen Christ in,with and under the bread and wine,in a spiritual and indefinable manner 'Thou art here,we ask not how'.This is different from transubstantiation of course and I would not attempt to take Communion in a RC or Orthodox church as I would not wish to cause offence.That does not mean however that I agree with their positions just that I've never been the type to gatecrash at parties and I don't intend to start now!! [Wink]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I reccall a survey Mr. Gallup conducted a few years ago among American Roman Catholics. I cannot provide a citation, but my memory is holding up fairly well during my golden years.

The question involved the nature of the Mass. A bare plurality of respondents professed belief in transubstantiation. This group was followed by approximately one third of those surveryed, who subscribed to a response that basically boiled down to the doctrine of the real presence. More than one quarter felt that the Mass is a memorial only and that the bread and wine are purely symbolic.

Greta

Your memory seems to be a rosy one, Greta. The poll results are here (scroll down a bit to the SECOND GALLUP POLL: BELIEF IN DOGMA ON HOLY EUCHARIST), where it says:
quote:
ONLY 30% OF NOVUS ORDO CATHOLICS BELIEVE THE DE-FIDE DOGMA ABOUT
THE SACRAMENT OF THE HOLY EUCHARIST

namely, that at Communion they are really and truly receivng the Body and Blood,
Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, under the appearance of bread and
wine, which is known as the Real Presence.

70% OF NOVUS ORDO CATHOLICS NOW HOLD AN HERETICAL BELIEF IN
THE HOLY EUCHARIST.

There is a further breakdown by particular heresy.

My quick Google search didn't come up with any figures for Anglicans/Episcopalians.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

CorgiGreta,

Then those who don't believe shouldn't be receiving either. Certainly, the fact that the Church in America is riddled with heresy doesn't surprise me. Try conducting a similar poll in areas where Catholicism is booming and liberalism hasn't run rampant, and I think the results would be a lot less depressing.

It would also be interesting to know whether the poll was of all those who self-identify as Catholics, or those who are practising Catholics. There's an important difference.

Anselmina,

It's woefully deficient because it doesn't fully describe the situation. It's deficient according to God, whom the Catholic Church serves. Not all Catholics could give a full description of eucharistic dogma - but they'd assent to Church teaching on the matter, unlike Anglicans or anti-sacramental Protestants. As for who is being short-changed - well, I'd say it's the people who settle for less than the fullness of Truth.

Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two observations ...

Catholics and Orthodox don't do their theology by Gallup polls.

No, we do not believe that the bread and wine SYMBOLISE the Body and the Blood. Duly consecrated they BECOME the Body and the Blood. It is not a question of different interpretataions of symbolism or even the merits and demerits of Aristotelian thought.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sauerkraut
Shipmate
# 3112

- Posted      Profile for Sauerkraut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
actually, it sounded sort of Missouri Synod-ish

My dear Rossweisse,

Would you be so kind as to point out anywhere in the official documents of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod where anything like the OP is stated?

A somewhat Sauerkraut

--------------------
We want not an amalgam or compromise, but both things at the top of their energy; love and wrath both burning. Christianity got over the difficulty of combining furious opposites, by keeping them both, and keeping them both furious.--G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 196 | From: The middle of the US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Anselmina,

It's woefully deficient because it doesn't fully describe the situation. It's deficient according to God, whom the Catholic Church serves. Not all Catholics could give a full description of eucharistic dogma - but they'd assent to Church teaching on the matter, unlike Anglicans or anti-sacramental Protestants.

Thank you for your answer. I understand what you're saying from the point of view of the Catholic Church (I think!), but IMHO I can't imagine God being overly concerned with how full an understanding - Catholic or otherwise - communicants have of the Sacrament in which they are participating. I would suggest that we're all in trouble, if that were the case [Frown] .

I've always thought it was more about what was going on within the heart that mattered most to God. So, I wonder how it really could be 'deficient' in God's eyes, to have a heart devoutly concentrating on receiving the sacrament, but yet a mind happily ignorant of the intellectual implications?

Though I entirely take your point that the RCC has very clear teaching on the Eucharist and Catholics wishing to respond obediently and faithfully to their Church's teaching would make themselves aware of it.

quote:
As for who is being short-changed - well, I'd say it's the people who settle for less than the fullness of Truth.
Settling for less than the 'fullness of Truth' certainly means we short-change ourselves. As in, 'I am the the way, the truth....'. I would say, however, that everyone of us has no choice but to accept that our knowledge about the mysteries of faith are incomplete. And that this means we all have to settle for less than the fullness of what we aren't able to understand completely, including the Truth. Perhaps that's where grace steps in (God's wild card!).

--------------------

PeterY
Shipmate
# 3962

- Posted      Profile for PeterY   Email PeterY   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad

But Catholics don't see themselves as part of denomination in a bigger church. We are the Church.

And also:
quote:
As Newman's Own intimated, we do believe non-Catholics to be Christian. Mistaken on certain issues, yes, but Christian nonetheless!
And then:
quote:
It is still a dogma of the Catholic Church that outside of the Catholic Church there is no salvation.

So, there are many Christians who cannot be saved??? [Confused]

And I go back to my original point. I am a Christian, I am accepted as being a Christian. But I am a Christian outside the Church (there being only one). Can this be? Surely not. To be a Christian is to be joined to Christ; to be joined to Christ is to be a part of His Body; and is not the Church the Body of Christ? I am not a part of the Church (there being only one) so I cannot be part of His Body; so I am not joined to Him; so I am not a Christian?

Something does not seem to be right.
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 120 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the way it's explained (although they use far nicer-sounding terminology than this, but here's the gist) is that non-Roman Catholics are only saved through the works of the RCC. That is, the RCC effects your salvation out of the goodness of its heart.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

PeterY,

Your definition of "Christian" is a rather narrow one, and not one I would share. Being a Christian does not necessarily involve being a member of Christ's Church - because there are Christians who have cut themselves off, or are cut off, from the Church Christ established. When I say they're Christians, I mean their religion is centred on the person of Jesus Christ, and involves belief in the significance of his death and Resurrection.

As for salvation - yes, there probably are Christians who will not be saved, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox. The fewness of the saved seems to be a difficult-to-avoid feature of Jesus' teaching. The dogma that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation is nowadays generally understood to mean that if any non-Catholics are saved, it is through the Catholic Church.

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It strikes me, Jesuitical Lad, that you (and those who believe within the RCC as you do) are to the RCC what the Jensens are to the Anglican Communion...

* "We have the full truth, and we only."
* "Other people might be Christians, but they are on dodgy ground because they are not Calvinist-Evangelical/Traditionalist Roman Catholic."
* "Ask those in areas where Catholicism/Evangelicalsim dominates, where liberalism hasn't snuck in, and the results would be far different on X issue."

Frankly I am happier on the middle ground. Give me the Anglican Church any day. At least we
(as a church) make no arrogant claims like this, in this way.

But I suppose you would retort: "Well no wonder, you hardly have a leg to stand on being a "church" founded on a King's divorce... whose sacraments aren't valid. [Snigger] [Snigger] "

Maybe if the way in which certain dogmas were expressed by the Roman Church, people like me would not be so totally repelled... The Orthodox seem to making similar claims, but look at the way they express it. It is much less in-your-face. Much more "winning". And I respect them enormously for this.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dsiegmund
Shipmate
# 908

- Posted      Profile for dsiegmund   Email dsiegmund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The LCMS position is spelled out in their FAQ at
LCMS FAQ
They are pretty scrupulous about practicing closed communion. My husband is Missouri Synod and has been to my Episcopal Church and never takes communion there. The FAQ answer is pretty generous towards other denominations, but I have heard some less generous views from some Missouri Synod members.

Q. A non-Lutheran Christian friend of mine recently stated that he believes that Catholics are not saved and should not be considered Christians. What is the Synod's belief regarding the salvation of Catholics who adhere to Roman dogma? If one truly believes in Christ but also worships the saints and papacy, can he be saved?

[/B]Of course, personal salvation is not merely a matter of external membership in or association with any church organization or denomination (including the LCMS), but comes through faith in Jesus Christ alone. All those who confess Jesus Christ as Savior are recognized as "Christians" by the Synod—only God can look into a person’s heart and see whether that person really believes. It is possible to have true and sincere faith in Jesus Christ even while having wrong or incomplete beliefs about other doctrinal issues.[/B]
At this site they outline their specific objections to a wide variety of different denominations.

Denominational Differences

Dana

Posts: 180 | From: Bastrop, Texas | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for salvation - yes, there probably are Christians who will not be saved, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox. The fewness of the saved seems to be a difficult-to-avoid feature of Jesus' teaching. The dogma that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation is nowadays generally understood to mean that if any non-Catholics are saved, it is through the Catholic Church.

I dunno. "The fewness of the saved" isn't difficult to avoid. Rather, it seems hard to justify to me. But then, I sort of border on Universalism, as I think many Orthodox do. (We can't come closer to the border, as we must not infringe upon free will. But we can come awfully close to it!)

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Maybe if the way in which certain dogmas were expressed by the Roman Church, people like me would not be so totally repelled... The Orthodox seem to making similar claims, but look at the way they express it. It is much less in-your-face. Much more "winning". And I respect them enormously for this.

Maybe. I tend to lose patience when people brag about receiving communion in Catholic churches when they know they shouldn't. But thanks for your advice - I shall strive to sound more charitable in future.. [Wink]
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Please understand what I meant in terms of disposition, rather than status.

Dear JL,

I'd love to understand what you mean, but "disposition" isn't in my vocabulary. I understand "disposed to" in the sense of "feeling inclined to" (which is something that only the person themselves can judge) but that doesn't immediately make any sense to me. Unless you're saying that Catholics don't feel inclined to share their sacraments with outsiders ? Any chance you could explain ?

quote:
The dogma that outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation is nowadays generally understood to mean that if any non-Catholics are saved, it is through the Catholic Church.
Am I right to think that you believe that God may choose to save some non-Catholic Christians ? And that He may choose not to save some Catholic Christians (such as those unrepentant of mortal sin?).

If that's so, maybe we're not so very far apart. That implies that whether or not a Christian is a member of the Catholic Church is not a salvation issue - not something we have to defend to the last because of its cosmic significance.

Do you believe that what unites us (Christians) is more important than what divides us ?

quote:
Then those who don't believe shouldn't be receiving either.
What about those who don't care and have never thought about it, who go up to communion because this is just what you do ? What about those who answer "don't know" ?

I think the suggestion here is that the reasons that the Catholic church gives for not sharing communion with non-Catholic Christians can seem pretty spurious, if there are a load of Catholics who by those criteria wouldn't qualify.

Russ

PS to Father Gregory - everything trivially symbolizes itself. To say that X is Y is to say more than X symbolizes Y, not to deny that X symbolizes Y.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Russ

quote:
PS to Father Gregory - everything trivially symbolizes itself. To say that X is Y is to say more than X symbolizes Y, not to deny that X symbolizes Y.

Ferr enuff!

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What about those who don't care and have never thought about it, who go up to communion because this is just what you do ? What about those who answer "don't know" ?

Unlike Catholics (and many Protestant churches), intellectual understanding is *not* required of communicants. We communicate all who are members of the Church, including infants, the severely mentally retarded, and those who have never thought about it one way or the other.

But only if they are members of the Orthodox Church. If you have not been received as a member of the Orthodox Church through baptism and chrismation, we respectfully decline to share the Eucharist with you, and invite you to receive the antidoron as a sign of fellowship and love.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably being a bit thick, but what is the antidoron?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow I'm learning lots of new words here. No idea what they mean though, except that they are obviously connected with the Orthodox church. Its a whole new world to me.

So what's chrismation and what's the antidoron?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

Dear Gracious Rebel and Alan

It's lexicon time! [Big Grin]

ANTIDORON [anteethorown] (literally ... "instead of the Gifts.")

This is unconsecrated bread (real bread - prosphora) from which the "Lamb" (piece for Communion) has been removed. The bread is blessed and shared between all present at the end of the Liturgy, (we include a drink of unconsecrated wine as well). It's a relic of the original agape meal ... the context of the Eucharistic offering.

The Holy Gifts are our words for Holy Communion, (although we use that phrase as well ... also the Holy Mysteries).

CHRISMATION

... is the anointing with the myron (holy oil) at baptism or subsequent to baptism if a person is being received into the Orthodox Church from another (trinitarian) Christian church. The oil is for the gift of the Holy Spirit (analogous to the laying on of hands in the west ... but practised also in the west by the Roman Catholic Church and certain Anglican churches ... and others for all I know). The anointing is for all parts of the body (steady on! [Wink] ) ... eyelids, ears, nose, mouth, chest, hands, feet. Upon each anointing the priest exclaims: "The seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit!" and the people respond: "Sealed!"

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From that Missouri Synod Website:

quote:
While the Scriptures are the inerrant source and norm of all doctrine and while God's Truth is one, sinful human beings can and do err. Hence, division occurs in visible Christendom.

The same can be said for modern denominationalism. While there are historical, cultural and sociological factors involved in the formation of denominations, disagreement regarding the understanding and application of biblical doctrine remains the fundamental reason for division between and among them. We hold that there can be only one Truth, and that denominations exist because some Christians have departed from what is faithful to biblical doctrine.

So, if you disagree with the Missouri Synod, you are sinning? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dsiegmund
Shipmate
# 908

- Posted      Profile for dsiegmund   Email dsiegmund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Og,

That would seem to be the implication. If I hadn't married one and his extended family, I would have given them a respectful, if wide berth. The LCMS is full of decent, caring people, but they don't possess much in the way of ecumenical feeling. The controversy over the 9/11 prayer services I think illustrates it very well.
See:
Benke Suspended for 'Syncretism' after 9/11 Event Lutheran minister suspended for 9/11 service

"As the Benke controversy unfolded in the fall, Kieschnick said that the real tragedy of the Sept. 11 attacks "is that in all likelihood, many of those people who died in that atrocity are not in heaven today — they're in hell — because they did not know or accept Jesus Christ as Savior."

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:

Unlike Catholics (and many Protestant churches), intellectual understanding is *not* required of communicants. We communicate all who are members of the Church, including infants, the severely mentally retarded, and those who have never thought about it one way or the other.

But only if they are members of the Orthodox Church. If you have not been received as a member of the Orthodox Church through baptism and chrismation, we respectfully decline to share the Eucharist with you, and invite you to receive the antidoron as a sign of fellowship and love.

--------------------

dsiegmund
Shipmate
# 908

I found this rather sad and I don't know if he was referring to the other Christians of the Columbia crew or just to the Jewish and Hindu members. To me sad either way.

A New Breed of Astronauts "Ilan Ramon was a Jew but not religious. Rick Husband, his commander, was a born-again Christian. He sometimes attended a church near Cape Canaveral where the preacher, remembering him on Sunday, made a point of saying that Rick was going to heaven, but "I don't know about the others."

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
Upon each anointing the priest exclaims: "The seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit!" and the people respond: "Sealed!"

Except the Russians, who have to be different, and say, "Amen."

Reader Alexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can vouch for the closed communion of the Missouri-Synod Lutherans, having grown up with lots of them in Michigan. In fact, the first person who ever cheerfully told me I was going to Hell (because I didn't believe in the Trinity) was from a devout and strict LCMS family.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

One area in which the LCMS was not "strict" was with regard to consumption of alcohol. The midwestern beer industry was almost entirely in the hands of members of the LCMS.

Greta

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
One area in which the LCMS was not "strict" was with regard to consumption of alcohol.

Right. It's the church of Bible, Bach, and beer!

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He sometimes attended a church near Cape Canaveral where the preacher, remembering him on Sunday, made a point of saying that Rick was going to heaven, but "I don't know about the others."
What total and utter B$@%h$t! Even if you believed crap like this or the quote about 9/11 what is the point of saying it? To sit smugly in your own "salvation"? To cause further pain for people who have lost siblings or kids who have lost parents?

In the name of Christianity too, it just floors me.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Wally said.

In answer to the OP: I'm not! Bwahahaha!

Reader ALexis

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way back on the tread Rob - Indie kid wrote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob - ID crisis InDiE KiD:
Hate to be a pedant (no actually I don't, I love it), but surely the original question is a contradiction in terms?

Surely the John Wesley thing about not knowing whether you're saved or not is for one obvious reason - that only God knows who are Christians.

I'm confused, to what John Wesley thing are you refering? The only thing I can think of on this matter which he said means the opposite. I.e, the third of the four alls
'all can know that they are saved'

However, I would agree that we are not called to know (or judge) about the status of others, as some bloke once said when asked about the status of someone else 'What is it you?'

As to whether members of other denominations are Christians, of course they are. Despite my irritations, frustrations and disagreements with evangelicals, I still acknowledge that they are Christians (and wish they'd return the compliment if they don't) and as to other denominations, no problem either for those who accept the Nicene Creed (with or without the filioque!). Sects like the JWs, I would say were Christian, but even then I would not say that no JWs will be saved, because after all it is not our theology which saves us.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Mousethief:

This is what I'm talking about:

• quote:
    originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
    quote:
    Can. 844 §1 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments only to catholic members of Christ's faithful, who equally may lawfully receive them only from catholic ministers, except as provided in §2, 3 and 4 of this canon and in can. 861 §2.
    §2 Whenever necessity requires or a genuine spiritual advantage commends it, and provided the danger of error or indifferentism is avoided, Christ's faithful for whom it is physically or morally impossible to approach a catholic minister, may lawfully receive the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick from non-Catholic ministers in whose Churches these sacraments are valid.

§3 Catholic ministers may lawfully administer the sacraments of penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the eastern Churches not in full communion with the catholic Church, if they spontaneously ask for them and are properly disposed. The same applies to members of other Churches which the Apostolic See judges to be in the same position as the aforesaid eastern Churches so far as the sacraments are concerned.

§4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgment of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments to other Christians not in full communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneously ask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed.

That's from the Code of Canon Law.

• quote:
    I do think receiving communion when not in a state of grace and not a member of the Catholic Church is profoundly foolish and dangerous....

• quote:
    It's the duty of Catholics to - politely - inform visitors that they should not be receiving communion unless they fulfil the conditions in Canon Law.

• quote:
    Originally posted by Fr. Gregory:
    Some have asked here concerning the Orthodox position. I see it as no different than the Catholic position as described by JL with two small caveats ... the first interesting, the second amusing ...
    (1) I think we can have the same eucharistic doctrine as pertaining to sacrifice and presence without the Aristotelian formulation of St. Thomas Aquinas.

(2) 1054 AD .... who split from whom? That's funny. Same story ... inverted participants. I hear the sound of God banging our heads together.

• quote:
    But if you reject the Church that Christ founded, wanting to receive communion there strikes me as slightly incoherent. Second, it doesn't bring unity if by receiving you are actually going against our understanding of Church, the Eucharist and who can receive in our churches. It's antagonistic. It's also, in our view, blasphemous since you don't worship the Sacrament and instead treat it as just a piece of bread or a drink of wine. You also, I'm guessing, wouldn't accept that the Mass is a re-presentation of Christ's sacrifice on the Cross.
    The recipient's beliefs don't affect the dogmas about the Mass, nor do they affect the status of the sacrament. But they do affect whether or not that recipient is worthy to receive.

It is still a dogma of the Catholic Church that outside of the Catholic Church there is no salvation.

Fr. Greg and JL have been very clear, very honest, and have not soft-soaped their positions: Christians who are non-adherents to their faiths cannot (and should not) receive Communion in those bodies. JL further posts RCC canon law that non-Catholics cannot be saved. Period. In good conscience, I cannot assent to several key planks of the RCC pantheon of doctrine, therefore I am not, and until I change my mind, will not and cannot, be a member of the RCC. Therefore, according to RCC Canon Law, I am without salvation. (If I am misinterpreting RCC cannon, please correct me.)

I have no complaint against those people who are members of the Orthodox/RCC/LCMS church, or those in any other body that so discriminates against other "wrongly flavored" Christians. My argument is not at all with them, but with the doctrinal policies of those bodies.

Now, I'll heft my lance while someone will please point me in the direction of those windmills?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed there is a huge chasm,not only between the RCC and Evangelicals but also between RCCs and Anglicans like myself who tend towards the High Church (although certainly not as High as some people - whom I like,actually! - on MW) as I would say that anyone who is a communicant member would be welcome to receive the Sacrament.An acknowledgement that Jesus is Lord is enough,and as a communicant member of a Christian denomination that is surely the case.My take on it that it is not an Anglican altar or a Lutheran altar or a Presbyterian altar,but the Lord's Table,at which we are all welcome
This I think would not normally be an issue but it can be an issue when you go on holiday,at weddings funerals and so on.I think the answer there is that we can't receive,not because I think I'm putting my soul in danger - my truly candid opinions on that could not even be expressed on the Hell board!! [Wink] - but simply out of politeness.....that of not wishing to cause offence
As far as the Orthodox Church is concerned they are slightly different,in that they distribute the antidoron.Now I know this is not the same as Holy Communion,but a non-Orthodox Christian is a lot more likely to feel at home and a lot less likely to feel left out than at the Roman Mass.
And it is here that I think we have to agree to disagree with JL,the chasm between us is deep indeed
I am a little bit surprised however as going from what I have read and also contributions from other RCC members on this board,I was under the impression that since Vatican 2 things in the RCC had changed rather a lot.Certainly I'm used to a lot of variety in my own Communion,from Tridentine Anglo-Catholics to MOTR to Mattins every Sunday to Evangelicals.The thought that has come into my mind is how representative JL is of RC thought - has the RCC become like us in some ways,from Tridentine Roman Catholics to people who are Low Church Anglicans - or ev en lower!
But that perhaps is subject for another thread,and there's hoovering to be done and lunch to be eaten! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Merseymike
Shipmate
# 3022

- Posted      Profile for Merseymike   Email Merseymike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the RC's I know,I would say that JL is not representative of them at all, and is representative of its very conservative wing. Owing to the current Papacy, that is in official ascendance, but it doesn't mean that is the case at parish level.

--------------------
Christianity is not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced

Posts: 3360 | From: Walked the plank | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
From the RC's I know,I would say that JL is not representative of them at all, and is representative of its very conservative wing. Owing to the current Papacy, that is in official ascendance, but it doesn't mean that is the case at parish level.

But unlike other churches, what happens at the parish level in the RCC is irrelevant. Roman Catholicism hinges on the authority of the Pope and the Magisterium. Local parishes can be as ecumenical as they like, because at the end of the day all that matters is what the Vatican says.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

His behavior in following the rules may not be typical, but ignorance of the rules is unlikely for any RC who is paying the least bit of attention.

There is a standard bit which is required to be printed on missalettes (or other liturgy aids) which clearly explains the RCC position (and says exactly what JL has been saying). For as long as I can remember (past 20 years or so) it has been pretty obviously printed on the back cover or inside the front cover of the books I have seen and used.

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

quote:
I'd love to understand what you mean, but "disposition" isn't in my vocabulary. I understand "disposed to" in the sense of "feeling inclined to" (which is something that only the person themselves can judge) but that doesn't immediately make any sense to me. Unless you're saying that Catholics don't feel inclined to share their sacraments with outsiders ? Any chance you could explain ?

Yes, approaching the Eucharist with the right frame of mind (= "disposition"... being properly disposed towards it.) Anyway, that's a necessary - but not sufficient - condition. You may find the link JLG has posted instructive.

quote:
Am I right to think that you believe that God may choose to save some non-Catholic Christians ?
He may choose to. It depends how one interprets the dogma that outside of the Church there is no salvation. I'd probably choose to say that they were implicit/anonymous Catholics if they were saved.

quote:
And that He may choose not to save some Catholic Christians (such as those unrepentant of mortal sin?)
Undoubtedly.

quote:
If that's so, maybe we're not so very far apart. That implies that whether or not a Christian is a member of the Catholic Church is not a salvation issue - not something we have to defend to the last because of its cosmic significance.
It most certainly is a salvation issue, and recognition of that fact is one of the main driving motivations - although not the only one - behind evangelism.

quote:
Do you believe that what unites us (Christians) is more important than what divides us ?
I'm not sure what the question means. I can't break up my beliefs and organise them into two brackets of "unite" and "divide", because I don't think it's Catholic teaching that causes division, but rather it's the decision to reject it that does so. True unity can only be grounded in Truth.

quote:
They shouldn't receive. For "don't know", it depends what you mean. If they don't recognise the status of the Blessed Sacrament, they should not receive.
Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

Addendum: I'm not entirely comfortable with the talk of God not choosing to save people because of mortal sin, because I think it suggests a situation without grace and a God who isn't immutable. I think people are separated from God by their sin, but I'm not sure I'd phrase it as Russ did.

Oh, and Ken! The dogma that there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church is a dogma, not merely a question of Canon Law (which is about the internal discipline of the Church.)

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Thus far, this has been one of the most interesting threads (if a bit heated from time to time) that I have ever seen on SOF. I want to thank Scot for starting it, and I hope it continues. It has been very informative. Please keep it going.

Greta

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thus far, this has been one of the most interesting threads (if a bit heated from time to time) that I have ever seen on SOF.

Yes one of the most interesting, but also one of the most depressing. To hear what people really think, and what various churches teach about the status of other church's adherrants, makes me wonder why we should even try to work together.

An interesting 'antidote' to JL's explanation of the RCC's position was a discussion at my home Bible Study group this week. We were looking at Matt 7.15, discussing who these false prophets could be. People suggested cults such as JWs, but also mentioned the Catholic Church. I stunned the group into a shocked silence by stating my sincerly held belief that it was possible to be a true Christian yet be a Roman Catholic.

Well actually its not an 'antidote' at all is it, just the same belief expressed in the opposite direction. Very sad.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ross:
Am I right to think that you believe that God may choose to save some non-Catholic Christians?

quote:
Jesuitical Lad:
He may choose to. It depends how one interprets the dogma that outside of the Church there is no salvation. I'd probably choose to say that they were implicit/anonymous Catholics if they were saved.

I think I might just prefer to be damned! This must be how non-Christians feel when Christians like me say comparable things about them. I think I'll give this up for Lent. I always like to do something for Lent that I really ought to do all the time.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like going on the wagon?

cheers,

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JL quote:
quote:
Catholics don't see themselves as part of denomination in a bigger church. We are the Church.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Jl, you have been misinformed. MY church (Methodist) is the Church.

The one true Christian Church (now called Methodist) began with the Apostles and went along fine until Henry VIII's time when the then Bishop of Rome got angry at Henry and branched off in a huff starting his own denomination and calling it "Roman" Catholic. Meanwhile the true Church carried on in England in a perfectly straight upward line (I picture it like a difenbachia plant) until John Wesley made some reforms centered around a perfected "method" of lifestyle designed to afford a greater chance at salvation. At that time another stubborn denomination branched off like a great big leaf and called itself the church of "England" but through it all we remained the one true Church rooted in the rock of Peter. I picture us as a sober little star on top of the straight line of the plant.
[Wink]

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a huge Christian bookshop in my city- always has good prices... But it keeps the Catholic books amongst the Cult section of the shop. I once asked "Why?" Their answer was "It's self- obvious to us"
Never could figure that out.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016