homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: I think I might just go on strike... (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: I think I might just go on strike...
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I mean, people have talked on this thread about employers not being willing to negotiate, but in my experience unions are just as guilty in that respect. They don't negotiate, they just say "here are our demands, accept them or we strike". It's batty.

How many negotiations have you sat in on?
My union keeps me in touch with their pay negotiations. It's usually along the lines of "This is what we've asked for. They've made a lower offer. We've refused it and threatened action."

quote:
My union's done the contract negotiation thing twice since I joined. It never even came down to a strike vote, because months of negotiations went into the contract.
Well obviously that's not in my experience, is it. In fairness my union hasn't called us out yet (they know as well as I do that the money for extra wages simply doesn't exist), but I do wish they'd be a bit more mature about things rather than using the threat of strikes as a first resort as soon as anyone says "no" to them.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well obviously that's not in my experience, is it. In fairness my union hasn't called us out yet (they know as well as I do that the money for extra wages simply doesn't exist), but I do wish they'd be a bit more mature about things rather than using the threat of strikes as a first resort as soon as anyone says "no" to them.

You seem curiously untroubled by the notion that an employer will use the threat of no money/possible redundancies/lack of orders as a first resort...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or statement of reality...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's odd that many major companies, including banks part owned by us, are busy laying off staff at one end, and paying their executive bonuses at the other.

I guess reality looks different when viewed from the top down...

(edited for speeling)

[ 04. November 2010, 14:33: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or when you're a small business

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Well, it's odd that many major companies, including banks part owned by us, are busy laying off staff at one end, and paying their executive bonuses at the other.

I guess reality looks different when viewed from the top down...

Just ask any Republican. Or ask any Democrat who was lured into voting Republican by attack ads.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So maybe small business owners need to unionize? Or create a collective of some sort, which is pretty much the same thing.

Farmers are pretty old hat to this idea of collectives of individual 'firms'. Here in New Engldn they created Cabot Creamery in order to be able to make an honest, if small, living from their farms despite the problems presented by the economy of the times. (Sadly, it now seems to be more of a corporation than a co-op.)

If you independent or small firm lawyers don't like the ABA (or your local equivalent), start your own. That's what the farmers did. That's what the (US) Chambers of Commerce did. Local businessmen who decided to get together and work for their own interest (which tended to include working for their town's interest, back when most people didn't wander around too much).

And finally returning to the OP, that's what the original unions did. They saw a local problem and they rallied the local people together to defy the local powers in order to fix it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

We have the Chamber of Commerce, Round Table and, more remotely, the Confederation of British Industry, not that any of them do much apart from possibly the latter.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes]

My point was to start your own if you're so unhappy with what you have and also so unhappy that the peon unions that somehow have the clout to interfere with you daily life.

I suspect that despite some people not paying you, you are hardly living in a hovel, buying the cheapest beans and worrying about how to find some heat to cook them, much less keep yourself from freezing.

So agitate and organize or shut up, OK?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gurdur
Shipmate
# 857

- Posted      Profile for Gurdur   Author's homepage   Email Gurdur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wrapping up a few issues, now that I've gotten my most urgent work out of the way:

- unions exist for their members. Accusing them of selfishness is like accusing the Pope of being Catholic. Into addition, while a tu quoque argument, those accusing unions of selfishness seem themselves to be only criticizing from the stance of their own selfishness, so who gives a stuff about selfish criticisms?

- claiming that strikes will only lead to consumers adopting a different service is merely missing the point. The purpose of the unions is to be in the here and now.

The unions are not the government, and do not have to act like one. No-one expects businesses to all act in the national interest, so why demand it of trade unions?

- The Royal Post is a special example, and one I stayed off beforehand; the Royal Post would have been fine had it not been for some very ill-advised decisions by the previous government, decisions which have effectively led the Royal Mail and the taxpayers to subsidize its private competitors.

Brilliant, that isn't. As indeed the whole history of recent privatization of rail in Britain; it has led to worse service, far higher prices for consumers and far more subsidy by tax-payers than before when it was all nationalized. Talk about counter-productive. Don't think you're better off; try sending an ordinary letter, going longer distance by train, and none of that is the fault of the unions. Look at reality, not prejudices.

- the USA again, plus the Dems/Reps, is all rather a special case, owing to the labour history of the 1890's and 1917-1925. It's led to an unhealthy kind of politics nationally. Britain does have healthier politics.

- if you want something different, ffs come up with viable, practical alternatives.

I'm only seeing vague chuntering so far, and Daily Mail-type emo isn't some magic answer. So if you want to criticize unions, by all means, do so, but some factualness and actually getting to grips with the issues would be nice, since emo is so boring. There hasn't been made one signle argument as yet against trade unions that wasn't made as an argument over 100 years ago, seriously, and those arguments are just as wrong now as they were then.

And always bitching about how someone or other is not doing it right or not doing enough is simply narcissism, unless you are willing to get up off your hind feet and do something real yourself.

[ 04. November 2010, 15:42: Message edited by: Gurdur ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

For the last time, I am not unhappy with my lot! Nor am I unhappy per se with the LU unions as I don't use the Tube myself; I just find it difficult to muster up sympathy for them.

[reply to jlg]

[ 04. November 2010, 15:45: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Gurdur
Shipmate
# 857

- Posted      Profile for Gurdur   Author's homepage   Email Gurdur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
For the last time, I am not unhappy with my lot! Nor am I unhappy per se with the LU unions ....

Just kinda odd how much you reply and what you say, then.

quote:
I just find it difficult to muster up sympathy for them.
And others have a distinct lack of sympathy for your lack of sympathy. Yet again.
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
quote:

I mean, people have talked on this thread about employers not being willing to negotiate, but in my experience unions are just as guilty in that respect. They don't negotiate, they just say "here are our demands, accept them or we strike". It's batty.

How many negotiations have you sat in on?
My union keeps me in touch with their pay negotiations. It's usually along the lines of "This is what we've asked for. They've made a lower offer. We've refused it and threatened action."
So the answer is 'none'.

If you don't like your union job, QUIT. I'm sure there are 3500 people ready to apply for it.

That number is based on the number of applications for the last open position in our office.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:

You've already said that the staff you've laid off took it well. They didn't strike.

I'm guessing that most small businesses are staffed by people who know exactly what's going on, how the company is doing, and whether or not their boss is a dickhead who'd screw them over just so he/she can have a new Porshe.

When the company gets bigger, that's when you can (not necessarily) end up with a disconnect between the people who actually do the work and the people who reap the benefit of that work. If the company is doing well, they expect to share the good times. If the company is doing badly, they expect to share the pain.

What they don't understand is when their friends get laid off and the boss gets a fat bonus. I've had a google to see if the John Lewis partnership has ever had a strike. I'm still looking.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Farmers are pretty old hat to this idea of collectives of individual 'firms'. Here in New Engldn they created Cabot Creamery in order to be able to make an honest, if small, living from their farms despite the problems presented by the economy of the times. (Sadly, it now seems to be more of a corporation than a co-op.)

This isn't "Old Hat" to farmers. This doesn't even exist for farmers - milk coops are not an advocacy group and farmers have essentially no control over their actions now. They have no positive control over prices*, which are controlled on a federal level. All they are is a drain.

It was a sad day here in Vermont when Agri-Mark cooperative bought out Cabot Creamery and McAdam Cheese.

I wish the US would adopt the Candian style quota system for agricultural production - at least for milk. Every time the price goes up a touch, mega-farms in the West boost production so high that they kill the price for several years afterwards. Vermont has lost almost 80% of its dairy farms in the 15 years I have been here, and if something doesn't change, that'll be over 90% verrry soon.

*Which are far below the cost of production currently.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

You've already said that the staff you've laid off took it well.
I wouldn't say that. Several of them cried. It was horrible (more so for them than for me, obviously). But if you mean by that that they understood and bore me no animosity, then correct.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

pjkirk, I suppose I should have said "used to be" old hat to farmers.

I wrote a long rant and edited it down to something short or more in line with the topic of the OP. In the process I guess I lost the part where I admitted that current farms are either big agri-business corporations (including Cabot and Agri-Mark) or small farmers who work their butts off and need someone to have an outside job or two so they can make ends meet.

You are quite right about that.

RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pjkirk is right: unions, and the right to strike, exist for a reason - a very good reason. At times like these, the right to strike needs to be protected, as it is one of the few means for the bottom half of western society to make their voices heard.

So yes, Ship'sChaplain - fuck you. (Actually, what pissed me off more was your assertion that this will be a no-swearing thread. Doublefuck.)

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ship's Chaplain:
I love the way that nobody is willing to take the suggestion that the current system of striking is immoral and to have a proper discussion seriously and would rather resort to dropping profanities.

How about the suggestion that the current neo-liberal globalised capitalist system is immoral?

Really, come off it, do you think that striking is "immoral"? It might be inconvenient. But it's not immoral. In fact, it protects people from being treated in immoral ways.

Maybe if the retail worker in question had stronger union rights they wouldn't get an hour's pay docked for being late through no fault of their own!

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
So yes, Ship'sChaplain - fuck you. (Actually, what pissed me off more was your assertion that this will be a no-swearing thread. Doublefuck.)

I am a bit perturbed that we appear to have run him off, as it were, with an onslaught of fucks, but it seems that he's either not looking for much discussion (achieved here or in purg), or thought this was a "Heck" board.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
quote:

I am a bit perturbed that we appear to have run him off, as it were, with an onslaught of fucks, but it seems that he's either not looking for much discussion (achieved here or in purg), or thought this was a "Heck" board.
Yes. I think the poor fellow didn't know what hit him. Oh well.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
quote:
quote:

Trouble at the mill! One o' th'crossbeams 'as gone out o' skew on th' treadle.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

He totally does.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I wrote a long rant and edited it down to something short or more in line with the topic of the OP. In the process I guess I lost the part where I admitted that current farms are either big agri-business corporations (including Cabot and Agri-Mark) or small farmers who work their butts off and need someone to have an outside job or two so they can make ends meet.

You are quite right about that.

Not quite as right on this side of the pond.

The largest farmer in the UK is the Co-operative.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for Doc Tor's point, yes, we in small solicitors' firms in private practice are ripped off - the last few years by indemnity insurers. It is a requirement for us to practise that we have indemnity insurance. The cost of that indemnity insurance has trebled in the last three years which has in turn coincided with the property crash and general economic downturn. My earnings for 2008-9 were £8000 and in the last tax year picked up to £33000 but the indemnity insurance is now running at £43000pa. We've had to lay off most of our staff and the remainder have had to accept - with very good grace, bless them! - significant pay cuts.

OK I'm confusef you are a small business presumably your turnover is separate from your wage ? Or are you telling me your individual indeminity insurance is more than 17,000 over the national average income and you are expected to pay it out of your wages ?

I have professional indeminty insurance covering me for liabilities upto about 5 million pounds a year - it costs me 78 pounds a year but it covers just me. (Strictly speaking I don't have to have it as I am not in private practice but I chose to.)

What exactly are they expecting you to be liable for ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
quote:
As for Doc Tor's point, yes, we in small solicitors' firms in private practice are ripped off - the last few years by indemnity insurers. It is a requirement for us to practise that we have indemnity insurance. The cost of that indemnity insurance has trebled in the last three years which has in turn coincided with the property crash and general economic downturn. My earnings for 2008-9 were £8000 and in the last tax year picked up to £33000 but the indemnity insurance is now running at £43000pa. We've had to lay off most of our staff and the remainder have had to accept - with very good grace, bless them! - significant pay cuts.

OK I'm confusef you are a small business presumably your turnover is separate from your wage ? Or are you telling me your individual indeminity insurance is more than 17,000 over the national average income and you are expected to pay it out of your wages ?

I have professional indeminty insurance covering me for liabilities upto about 5 million pounds a year - it costs me 78 pounds a year but it covers just me. (Strictly speaking I don't have to have it as I am not in private practice but I chose to.)

What exactly are they expecting you to be liable for ?

I think it's the value of the deals Matt handles that makes his insurance cost what it does. Hundreds of pounds received in relation to deals of hundreds of thousands of pounds, results in hefty liabilities compared to income. When circumstances are that claims are more not less likely (possibly because other solicitors want to make a living), the premiums increase further.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I love the way that nobody is willing to take the suggestion that the current system of striking is immoral and to have a proper discussion seriously and would rather resort to dropping profanities.

How about the suggestion that the current neo-liberal globalised capitalist system is immoral?

Really, come off it, do you think that striking is "immoral"? It might be inconvenient. But it's not immoral. In fact, it protects people from being treated in immoral ways.

Maybe if the retail worker in question had stronger union rights they wouldn't get an hour's pay docked for being late through no fault of their own!

Yes, what a fuckwit. Shopworker is delayed through no fault of her own by tube strike- employer docks an hour's pay- what's the rule that needs changing? Not the one that allows this kind of bullying by employers, obviously, 'cos that might mean admitting that the rich aren't always in the right...
D'you know, i think TSC should go on strike- in the interests of the people to whom he ministers.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

D'you know, i think TSC should go on strike.

how would you tell?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... strikers who inconvenience the public can't expect a massive amount of public sympathy.

So it is good to see that the London firemen are going to be working on Guy Fawkes - out of concern for public safety. Link.
The timing of the strike did seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Ship's Chaplain
Shipmate
# 15751

- Posted      Profile for The Ship's Chaplain         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for the LFB!
Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Ship's Chaplain
Shipmate
# 15751

- Posted      Profile for The Ship's Chaplain         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He totally does.
I'm very sorry for not responding within 24 hours. At the moment I am in the midst of leading day retreats. As I said: I'm overworked and of course: I have a job.

I really don't understand why people feel the need to swear though, it has always been my understanding that the greater the need to use profanities, the lower the intelligence. It makes perfect sense as obviously the lower the intelligence the more limited the vocabulary is likely to be.

Posts: 99 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are back [Eek!]

Horray [Yipee]

Get back in there bubba and give 'em what for.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really don't understand why people feel the need to swear though, it has always been my understanding that the greater the need to use profanities, the lower the intelligence.

This explains why you don't understand why people swear. Stupid presuppositions.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
... strikers who inconvenience the public can't expect a massive amount of public sympathy.

So it is good to see that the London firemen are going to be working on Guy Fawkes - out of concern for public safety. Link.
The timing of the strike did seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.

Check it out for yourself, the weather looks lousy for November 5th in the London area!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really don't understand why people feel the need to swear though, it has always been my understanding that the greater the need to use profanities, the lower the intelligence. It makes perfect sense as obviously the lower the intelligence the more limited the vocabulary is likely to be.
Quite so.

But that doesn't take away from, or excuse, the foolishness of your OP. Still, I'd like to hear you justify it, if only to give you a chance to redeem yourself.

You have pointed out what you think is wrong with the system. So propose a solution. If striking is not allowed, or alternatively is made so harmful to the striking parties that it is effectively not an option, what realistic, practical framework for labor relations would you suggest be adopted?

[ 04. November 2010, 22:44: Message edited by: Jon in the Nati ]

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't swear - but I defend people's right to do so 100%

I am interested to know why you chose Jesus as your avatar?

Seems a bit ummmm....

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gurdur
Shipmate
# 857

quote:
I'm very sorry for not responding within 24 hours. At the moment I am in the midst of leading day retreats. As I said: I'm overworked and of course: I have a job.

You know, instead of going on and prissily on about people swearing, you might like to save yourself a bit of time abd actually deal with real issues, like the right to strike?

Unless, of course, the goal is merely to be prissy.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really don't understand why people feel the need to swear though,

It's fun and it gets the point across so much easier.

quote:
it has always been my understanding that the greater the need to use profanities, the lower the intelligence. It makes perfect sense as obviously the lower the intelligence the more limited the vocabulary is likely to be.
I am compelled to point out that your inane insistence that profanity is the hallmark of an uneducated mind is leading me irrevocably towards the conclusion that, due to your inherent inability to pique the interest of any fine ladies in your locale, your social habits must, perforce, consist of nothing more than online verbiage and enthusiastic masturbation. I am left with the conclusion that your defenestration is the only viable solution to our mutual problem, viz. your continued insistence on ludicrous vocabulary constraints.

Means "Shitting hell, you are one tedious wanker. Why don't you just take your stupid 'no swearing' bollocks and fuck off."

See, it's much easier and more to the point if I use profanity, isn't it? [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Y]our social habits must, perforce, consist of nothing more than online verbiage and enthusiastic masturbation.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah. Yeah, I heard that sort of thing a lot from my Mother. What it really means, decoded, is 'Nice people don't swear'. What 'nice' means when decoded is 'people like me'. Nice people don't swear. Nice people don't rock the boat. Nice people don't ask difficult questions. Hell - [is that a profanity still?] - nice people don't go on strike. Common, coarse, people who don't know their collective place in the scheme of things, go on strike. Not nice people like you. Which to be honest seems to be the undertone of your posts. Try to understand that not everyone aspires to be like you. Perhaps try re-reading the thread with that in mind, even.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

To be briefly serious for a moment, TSC: the reason you don't understand why people use profanities is because you can't see why this:
quote:
Why should innocent commuters have to suffer because of a few job losses in a couple of train stations? It's not as if we really need to have people in ticket offices anyway, we have oyster cards and ticket machines!
is actually far worse, far more offensive, than saying this:
quote:
Shit piss bollocks
When you've worked out why you've written probably the filthiest words of any of the contributors to this thread, perhaps you might change your mind about the occasional expletive.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
[Y]our social habits must, perforce, consist of nothing more than online verbiage and enthusiastic masturbation.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
I've tried it. I knock it.

TSC - cursing is wonderfully cathartic. I suggest you give it a go. With gusto!

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Eh? Who said anything about need? What's wrong with a plain old bit of desire?

As for vocabulary... you do realise there's a fair amount of foul language in Shakespeare?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about this: shut the fuck up, Max, you stupid incompetent motherfucking sockpuppeteer.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why did that take so long? The clues were there from the start. I thought he had been granted some sort of amnesty and new ID.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have seen it coming. Only a person who has so little touch with reality of living as a lower or middle class person would suggest a thirteen year seminary preparation.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have enough trouble figuring out real people, Triple T. I don't have that kind of forensic mojo.

Max, get over it already, there's a good boy.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you are back, TSC.

I have actually withdrawn my labour- which is what a strike actually involves. The decision to withdraw from work until a situation is resolved. A basic human right.

I was a Social Worker. We agonised, worried about our clients, until we realised that the Employer depended on this, thinking we would never actually strike.

Well, we did. Our clients visted us on the picket lines, encouraging us. They brought us sandwiches and flasks, as well as the problems they needed help with.

They knew how much we put into the job. The unsocial hours, the unpaid overtime. The support we gave in all sorts of ways which were never recorded in case notes. Attending family funerals, weddings and christenings, for instance.

Our Team Managers came out in sympathy, even though they were not striking themseles-they recognised the justice of our cause.

We won our case, eventually, and this led to a pay review for Social Workers nationwide.

I have never regretted the decision to strike, in spite of the personal struggle involved.

You have no idea how most people live.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Why did that take so long? The clues were there from the start. I thought he had been granted some sort of amnesty and new ID.

We suspected almost immediately and knew for a little while. We were just hoping he'd behave this time around. I mean, it's not like it's rocket surgery. But I guess the leopard really can't change its spots after all. If you're going to be a sanctimonious ass, you should maybe try to not use the sanctimonious ass persona that got you banned in the first place.

--------------------

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you're going to be a sanctimonious ass, you should maybe try to not use the sanctimonious ass persona that got you banned in the first place.
So does that mean that this is going to happen to TSC?

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016