homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've found that it's usually wise to be a bit of a miser with the yeast - it seems (paradoxically) to make the bread rise better. I wonder if the reason that some recipes specify generous amounts of yeast is that the books are sponsored by yeast manufacturers ... [Big Grin]

I've got a batch of French sticks just about to go into the oven, and the soup for tomorrow's lunch is almost cooked.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favorite bread recipe, the no-knead one suggests using very little yeast and a long rising time; 18 hours. That gives the yeast time to multiply.

If your special yeast dispenser is adding the yeast at a later point in the cycle and not mixed in at the beginning, it doesn't have as long to multiply so you'd need more.

That leaves figuring out why it's a good idea to add the yeast separately later.. maybe whole grains need time to sprout or gluten takes time to develop...

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh yes, the no-knead bread has become a Beethoven Family Favourite since I tried it a few weeks ago. Unbelievably easy, and soooo tasty! [Smile]

Op 2 still likes handmaking bread - we had (white) hedgehog and (sweet) rabbit this weekend. And lemon meringue cupcakes last night, just because. Can I just say that I love having a daughter who is so keen on baking! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday morning I made a delicious but not at all diabetic-friendly slow cooker French toast casserole. Boy, was it good! We gobbled it up after throwing some butter on it and sugar-free syrup. It was simplicity itself to prepare and only took two hours on the high setting to cook. It was a bit on the mushy side so I think next time I'll use stale French bread and also add some orange zest, more cinnamon, less brown sugar (Splenda blend, but still awfully sweet), chopped pecans and maybe some dried fruit of some kind. My blood sugar rose steadily after I had a heaping helping of this stuff! Luckily, I don't eat pure carbs like that every day.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As mentioned in All Saints, this is the link for my St Patrick's day boozy cake
yum!

You only need about half the amount of icing, though

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had an old friend for a meal last week and was astonished to discover they'd never eaten lentils!

I cooked them very simply (in stock with some celery and red pepper) and served under a pan fried chicken breast.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DIL makes great patties with leftover lentils or even leftover dhal. Add bits and pieces from fridge, season and fry in hot oil.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red lentil soup can be nice, made with fresh chicken stock. However lentils themselves are usually a disappointment, and smell more appetizing than they are. Better as an ingredient than something eaten for its own sake, IMO.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cook lentils with some red wine, which gives them a great flavor. (Plus onion, celery, and thyme, plus a can of chicken broth.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lentils for Lent.
I usually make a soup with lentils. They go really well with onion, cumin, stock and perhaps tomatoes.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Lentils for Lent.

Rather a lot of them here, as we gave up meat for Lent.
I like lentils, as an ex-veggie. We regularly have lentil soup, casserole or curry even when we are not avoiding meat. And they are great on the fasting days of my diet.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recipe for Holy Week.

[Paranoid]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Recipe for Holy Week.

[Paranoid]

How right you are.

"And again I say [Paranoid] "

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Paranoid] !
[Paranoid] !
And again I say [Paranoid] !

Ahem. Perhaps it's time I went to bed.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My main concern is whether anyone breaks their teeth on those little silver balls.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just swallow them whole.

Or alternatively, treat like mini gobstoppers.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And for those of you giving up chocolate ... [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK. My oven has just decided to give up the ghost. It's not such a major problem, as I have hob/microwave/slow cooker, but....

I had bought a load of chicken breasts, intending to oven bake them and then use the cold meat in salads etc. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't just lob them in the slow cooker as they are and cook on high for however long it takes? (They're currently in the freezer as I don't see an oven solution happening in the next couple of days!)

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No good reason why you should not, and lots of good reasons to do so. Make sure that you put some flavour boost into the slow cooked - a couple of onions fried up with a bit of garlic and some herbs on the top of the chicken would go well. Maybe a bit of diced ham or speck (any cured pork would work). Keep any liquid to a minimum. If you use some wine, reduce it to little more than a glaze in the pan.

The instructions for our slow cookers say to make sure that anything you put in has been properly thawed as the temp may otherwise not get high enough to deal with nasties.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If you've still got a hob, I'd sear them first in a little olive oil and butter before chucking them in the slow-cooker, to give them a bit of colour and flavour. De-glaze the pan with a little wine or chicken stock, add it to the slow-cooker with whatever herbs/spices/flavourings take your fancy and cook them until done.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recently my mother in law made a slow cooker pulled maple chicken, it was absolutely gorgeous. I imagine googling that combination of words will bring about a suitable recipe!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I wouldn't have thought chicken breasts would really benefit from slow cooking the way the tougher cuts of meat do. Grilling is the closest you'd get to roasting, though I'd probably either just cook them in a pan or else keep them frozen until needed.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a new dog. Neighbor suggested cooking up some chicken with carrots and potatoes and freeze up mixture as treat for the dog. So I put in the slow cooker and hubby comes into the kitchen and says, " So glad you are doing up some chicken I am growing tired of two days of Easter ham." So I am making a salad and warm rolls to go with OUR chicken dinner tonight.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and the poor dog has to suffer the ham!

[Killing me]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While I am waiting for my appointment with the nutritionist (gastro trouble induced unfortunately) - low-fibre but healthy recipes? Lower-fibre veg is pretty much root veg which is unfortunately not my favourite, as I prefer less sweet vegetables like cruciferous veg (sadly I have to cook broccoli til soft if I eat it). I have the type of IBS which is triggered by high-fibre food, and I really miss it. Raw veg and lightly cooked onion are a no-go but I can have some raw fruit if peeled (ie no apple skin).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Would soup recipes be any use? Root veggies of all sorts make lovely soups, especially of the pureed, creamy variety.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made the Chicken Bastilla from this link the other day. A bit of customisation - not so many dates, a few dried apricots, no pine nuts in so I used pumpkin seeds instead, a bit of variety on the spices - but generally, very, very yummy. A good way of using up left over roast chicken.

We only used about half the ingredients as filling and made 5, so I think the recipe is capable of stretching quite a bit further - good hot and cold.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for not responding sooner - yes, soup is fine and tends to be my solution to root vegetables (hate parsnip in any guise other than soup!). I like strong flavours and find root veg quite bland and often with an unpleasant 'grainy' or stringy texture.

Something I'm making today and have enjoyed before:

Polish sausage (preferably uncooked types but cooked ones still work, choose a coarser one and ideally a garlic and/or smoked one) cut into big chunks
Chopped tomatoes or passata or smushed up tinned plum tomatoes
Various seasonings - I'm using some rosemary, balsamic vinegar, few drops of Tabasco, a very small dash of olive oil for the flavour, salt and pepper - a stock cube dissolved in a small amount of water and/or some Worcester sauce would also be good

Cook in a slow cooker or dutch oven/well-covered pan or casserole dish, for as long as possible and on a low heat - if you put it on at breakfast-time, it will be done by lunch but will be even better by teatime! You can use any sausage - raw normal sausages are fine but Polish charcuterie is really tasty and so cheap. I sometimes like to use a couple normal sausages and a link or two of Polish sausage.

Lovely with pasta or in a sandwich (like a meatball sandwich).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of sausages… last night I made English Food™ It was a flippin’ triumph.

I give you Grandmother en rouge’s Mole in the Hole* recipe:

Put 4 oz *plain* flour (v important – the egg is what makes it rise and self-raising doesn’t work) in a bowl with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the middle and break in two eggs. Beat together to a smooth paste. Grandmother en rouge always used a fork, but I think that was because she didn’t own a whisk [Biased] . Little by little beat in half a pint of milk. Leave the batter to stand.

Heat the oven to 200°c or equivalent. Put a generous slug of oil into the bottom of your dish and put the sausages on top. Put into the oven to start cooking the sausages and heat the oil. For best results, the oil must be smoking hot when you add the batter. If it doesn’t sizzle immediately, it’s not hot enough. After about twenty minutes or so, take the dish out and pour in the batter ASAP. Put back into the oven for about another twenty minutes until all risen up and golden and delicious.

I also made a sort of onion gravy out of onions, butter, a spoon of flour to thicken, a splash of red wine, water and a bit of Marmite.

I served my mole with carrots and peas. Grandmother en rouge always had potatoes as well, but that does seem like a bit too much stodge to me.

The culinary reputation of Ingerland goes from strength to strength.

*Known to the rest of the world as Toad in the Hole. My grandmother always called it mole, after the song I think. In any case, she was the most gifted Yorkshire pudding maker I have ever known as so in my family Mole in the Hole it remains.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
... soup is fine ...

I think I posted this recipe, adapted from a v. good one made by my nephew, a while ago, but I think it's worth giving again, and has lots of roots (you can vary them according to your taste/contents of your fridge).

Sandy's Spiced Winter Soup

Ingredients:
2-3 oz butter and a little oil
3-4 medium-to-large potatoes
5 large carrots
1 very small swede, turnip or parsnip (optional*)
2 medium onions
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
About 3 pints of ham or chicken stock (real or from a cube)
A couple of generous handfuls of red lentils
A small carton of cream

Heat the butter and oil over a medium-low heat in a large, heavy casserole (or slow-cooker - see below). Peel and cut the vegetables into evenly-sized pieces (they don’t need to be very small as they’ll be whizzed later). Add them to the butter/oil along with the spices and a little salt and pepper. Stir, cover tightly and leave to sweat for about 10-15 minutes.

If using stock-cubes, make them up with 1 cube per 1½ pints of water, and add to the veggies along with the lentils.

Bring back to the boil and turn heat down to a simmer, cover partially and allow to cook for 1½ - 2 hours.

Check the seasoning, then whizz with a hand-held blender until smooth (or purée in a blender or food mill).

Stir in the cream and serve.

Note: if you have a slow-cooker, you can do the whole thing in it: turn it on to High, soften the butter in the microwave and add to the slow-cooker with the oil. Add the veggies as each is peeled and chopped, then add the spices, cover and allow to sweat for 10-15 minutes. Add the hot stock and lentils, stir and cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low overnight. Whizz and add the cream.

* If you add swede, turnip or parsnip it will make the soup a bit sweeter.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry for the double-post, but I was waxing lyrical over in AS about our most recent acquisition - ceramic-bladed knives - and wondered what others thought.

D. bought one last week after our favourite knife (which I think he'd had since before we were married) committed hari-kari on a stove element (!) and we were so impressed he went and got some more.

It even made a decent job of cutting squishy, superannuated tomatoes (and it's not even serrated), and according to the blurb, they'll never blunt if treated with reasonable care.

Anyone else given them a try?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A while back, D. bought a packet of these harvest grains and today I finally got round to turning some of them into a sort-of risotto. As it was really quite good, here it is:

Rice-less, hassle-less risotto (feeds 2 generously)

1 onion
1 carrot
1 stick of celery
1-2 cloves of garlic, all finely chopped
Olive oil and butter for cooking
Salt, pepper and a pinch or two of herbs*
1¼ cups harvest grains
An extra knob of butter
1¾ cups hot chicken stock
A few sliced mushrooms
1-2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
About ¾ cup frozen peas, defrosted

Heat the oil and butter in a shallow Dutch oven over low-to-medium heat, add the chopped veggies, garlic, herbs and seasoning and sauté for about 10 minutes.

Add the grains and the extra butter, stir and add the chicken stock and mushrooms. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a low simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.

Stir in the chicken and peas, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.

Season to taste and serve.

* I used a pinch each of dried thyme and tarragon, but rosemary, oregano or Herbes de Provence would probably be good alternatives.

The quantities are a bit odd because, never having cooked the grains before, I was following the packet directions exactly.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bought a loaf of bread on the 18th that said, "Best used by April 28th." When did "day old bread," quit being a bad thing that was half priced? Just how long are they allowed to sell bread off the shelf as though it were fresh? No wonder half the loaves I've bought lately taste stale from the first. I had been naively picking up a loaf and if the "best by date," was a few days down the road I thought I had fresh bread!
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I bought a loaf of bread on the 18th that said, "Best used by April 28th." When did "day old bread," quit being a bad thing that was half priced? Just how long are they allowed to sell bread off the shelf as though it were fresh? No wonder half the loaves I've bought lately taste stale from the first. I had been naively picking up a loaf and if the "best by date," was a few days down the road I thought I had fresh bread!

It's because they are chock full of preservatives. A commercial loaf will last days and still be soft whilst my homemade bread will start going stale after 1 day.
I make my own bread because I like to know exactly what is in what I eat.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They may stay soft, but they don't half encourage the development of fungal mycelium.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make my own bread occasionally but we're such pigs, I mean it tastes so good, we eat the whole thing in one sitting.
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our son and his family will be here momentarily for a new family favorite -- "Cuban Sandwiches" …

We'll have alongside a fresh fruit salad -- orange segments, blueberries and strawberries in vanilla yogurt ...

Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... we eat the whole thing in one sitting.

No opportunity for the fungal mycelium then ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
We'll have alongside a fresh fruit salad -- orange segments, blueberries and strawberries in vanilla yogurt ...

Have you ever tried oranges, blueberries, and strawberries (or any other fruit combination) with a little bit of Cointreau sprinkled over it? It's delicious

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:

Have you ever tried oranges, blueberries, and strawberries (or any other fruit combination) with a little bit of Cointreau sprinkled over it? It's delicious

Moo

Great suggestion, thanks ...
Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
... soup is fine ...

I think I posted this recipe, adapted from a v. good one made by my nephew, a while ago, but I think it's worth giving again, and has lots of roots (you can vary them according to your taste/contents of your fridge).

Sandy's Spiced Winter Soup

Ingredients:
2-3 oz butter and a little oil
3-4 medium-to-large potatoes
5 large carrots
1 very small swede, turnip or parsnip (optional*)
2 medium onions
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg and chilli powder
Salt and pepper to taste
About 3 pints of ham or chicken stock (real or from a cube)
A couple of generous handfuls of red lentils
A small carton of cream

Heat the butter and oil over a medium-low heat in a large, heavy casserole (or slow-cooker - see below). Peel and cut the vegetables into evenly-sized pieces (they don’t need to be very small as they’ll be whizzed later). Add them to the butter/oil along with the spices and a little salt and pepper. Stir, cover tightly and leave to sweat for about 10-15 minutes.

If using stock-cubes, make them up with 1 cube per 1½ pints of water, and add to the veggies along with the lentils.

Bring back to the boil and turn heat down to a simmer, cover partially and allow to cook for 1½ - 2 hours.

Check the seasoning, then whizz with a hand-held blender until smooth (or purée in a blender or food mill).

Stir in the cream and serve.

Note: if you have a slow-cooker, you can do the whole thing in it: turn it on to High, soften the butter in the microwave and add to the slow-cooker with the oil. Add the veggies as each is peeled and chopped, then add the spices, cover and allow to sweat for 10-15 minutes. Add the hot stock and lentils, stir and cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low overnight. Whizz and add the cream.

* If you add swede, turnip or parsnip it will make the soup a bit sweeter.

Can't have lentils but will try it without! Do you think coconut cream would be good instead of the single cream?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would think a puréed soup like that would be adequately creamy as it is. You could serve it with a knap of chilli oil or a swirl of pesto or a salsa of onion lime juice and fresh coriander for contrast.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We would not be adding coconut cream. Apart from the dominant flavour it would bring, it's laden with saturated fats.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We would not be adding coconut cream. Apart from the dominant flavour it would bring, it's laden with saturated fats.

Ah but coconut fat is a good type of saturated fat. There's a reason health food shops are full of coconut oil!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't suppose cream is absolutely essential, although it does make it nice.

I suspect though, that if you leave out the cream and the lentils, the whole thing may turn out a bit thin. Even a little cream (assuming you're not dairy-intolerant) would be better than none.

eta: I don't know anything about coconut cream, but it might actually work rather well with the warm spices. If you give it a go, let us know it works!

[ 21. April 2015, 03:24: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Granted there are none of the nasty cholesterols lurking in coconut cream, but it's still something like 30% fat! That's a huge amount to add to your system, apart from questions of its going well with the rest of the ingredients. I agree with Piglet that the soup would be thin in flavour and body without the cream.

I don't really accept the argument that it must be good for you because health food shops sell it. They sell it because there's a market for it, and they hope to tap into that.

[ 21. April 2015, 07:26: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Piglet, without in any way breaching the compiler's rights, can you give a rough list of ingredients and proportions for the mix you talk of please? We can buy orzo here, called risoni, and the others you mention seem available as well. Barley "risotto" is good also, but you do need to soak and cook the barley beforehand.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It will not necessarily be thin without the lentils and cream. My creamed carrot soup has neither and when I put enough potato and carrot in it is pretty thick. It only has four ingredients: carrot, potato, onion and stock. Although I do tend to fry the onion, but that is not essential. I have known people to use other replacements for cream in it such as soya based but actually I prefer the flavour without the cream (just up the carrots). The thing you need to watch is the balance of liquid to starchy veg. Lower the liquid content and you will get a thicker soup.

For people's knowledge "Cream of" soups do not need to have cream in them, they just need to be creamed (processed to a cream like constituency), that is basically what Piglet is doing in the blender.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Creaminess' is as much about texture and mouth feel as taste. I like a little velvetiness in sauces and soups, but find I can get that by, as has been said, liquidised vegetable, or a dollop of half-fat creme fraiche, or yoghurt, or that invaluable rescue beurre manie. ISTM less about what is in the recipe (though that is always an interesting suggestion) more about your individual taste.

Meanwhile, my diet-conscious friend is coming to dinner soon. No grains, no sugar, no dairy.... I think I've decided on spicy chicken bits and roasted veg with a lemon/mint relish for mains - but dessert?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Hot spiked fruit salad? Baked bananas/pineapple with rum and cherries? Soya cream could be an alternative to traditional cream if you wanted it.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016