homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Kan yu speell? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kan yu speell?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Of course, when typing I have a whole new set of issues. I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

Many years ago some clever clogs amended the compiler for a block-structured computer language so that it would give warnings for common misspellings, such as "NED input without a corresponding EBGIN".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m often struck by my fingers’ ability to type just what they hear (even when I’m typing silently) without regard to sense - their/ there / they’re or hear/ here are typical. My eyes instantly know the words are wrong as soon as I see them.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Though and through are thoroughly puzzling.

I'm derailing myself, here, but in a different pub conversation, a different friend of mine and I were discussing -ough. I'm missing two(?), but off the top of my head:
though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

Of course, some regional and class accent differences.

thorough (uh)

This reminds me of when I lived in Milton Keynes. Three of the villages absorbed into the new town have names with -oughton at the end:

Broughton (B-raw-ton)
Loughton (L-ow-ton, 'ow' as in cow)
Woughton (Woof-ton)

These within a few miles of each other.

Very interesting about the village names, belying any explanation on the basis of region.

On the question of 'thorough', both my friend and I pronounce the second syllable with a long 'o'. Webster's is the only dictionary that I have at hand at the moment, and it gives it as a schwa, agreeing with you; Hence my allowance for regional or class differences in pronunciation.

BTW, tangentially, I've noticed a relatively recent trend, and one gaining momentum, at least in North America, for the 'o' in 'to' to degrade to a schwa, even on news casts. I.e., "tuh".

Posts: 757 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
... I think "hte" should be in the dictionary - I can spell it, I just can't type it.

Along with tge, which is how it almost always comes out when I'm using the Tablet, causing swearing.

[ 09. February 2018, 23:07: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'm derailing myself, here, but in a different pub conversation, a different friend of mine and I were discussing -ough. I'm missing two(?), but off the top of my head:
though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

I have on several occasions wondered about the correct pronunciation (which should be spelled pronounciation!) of Brenda Clough's name!
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a wonderful topic.
I have always been a reasonably good speller, due no doubt to my early introduction to books and reading. I can never remember not being able to read. I read on the ship on the way to Australia when I was three, [can't remember the voyage either].But now that I am getting older, errors keep creeping in- or I write a word , and it just doesn't look right. Typing is even worse, since I am not a touch typist, and gaze at the keyboard, going hell for leather, and then look up at the screen , to find lots of red lines. And then I still miss some things, like misplaced apostrophes, or lack of spaces between words.
I got stuck on scissors of all things, the other day. All those "s"s. However, the thing that incenses me most are the misspelt signs on shop windows. Wouldn't you think they would know the names of the things they are selling? Rant over.

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 157 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
quote:

though (long o)
through (oo)
rough (uf)
cough (awf)
bough (ow)
thought (aw)

I have on several occasions wondered about the correct pronunciation (which should be spelled pronounciation!) of Brenda Clough's name!
[Hot and Hormonal]

Hiccough?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other two sounds have been listed:
Higgs Bosun posted "thorough" - uh

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
hiccough - up

There's a rhyme about this, Chaos by Charivarius, which ends:
quote:
Finally, which rhymes with enough --
Though, through, plough, or dough, or cough?
Hiccough has the sound of cup.
My advice is to give up!!!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'The rough coated dough faced ploughboy walked coughing and hiccoughing through the streets of Scarborough' is what I learnt.

I'm another who has always been quite good at spelling, and love the eccentricity of it. But I'm also* another who only learnt how to spell 'necessary' when I learnt the Latin!

M.

*which usually comes out as 'alos' when I type.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I always have to use a mnemonic to spell rhythm:

Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving

Praise God! I've always struggled with this word.

Thank you Gill H.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The spelling I kept getting wrong until I was told the Latin derivation was separate. I now remember that it's based on the same root as part and pare. Similar to the derivation of benefit being coming from the Latin for good - bene.

I remember necessary as it has a s sound and similar words with a double c, like success, sound both a c and a s.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Weatherwax
Shipmate
# 11920

- Posted      Profile for Weatherwax   Email Weatherwax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also been lucky in being a good speller, but rhythm is one word I usually have to think about.

Years ago, I developed a habit of mispronouncing certain words to remember silent letters, repeating letters or strange letter order - ConneKt-i-cut, for example, or remember that separate has "a rat" inside. I might hiss necessssssary, or say two Ks and roll a double R for ok-kurrrrrrance. Weird is weeee-iiiird. I don't usually mispronounce said words in conversation, just in my mind. Usually works!

--------------------
If thou couldst empty all thyself of self, Like to a shell dishabited, Then might He find thee on the Ocean shelf, And say—" This is not dead,"— And fill thee with Himself instead.
(formerly TE Brown)

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son had a very difficult time with spelling, even though he was always an avid reader. I would make up little sayings to help him remember word parts.

Possession possesses four s's with an e in between helped a lot.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It would be pronounced 'cluff' here, with the 'u' varying according to which part of the country one comes from. In some parts of the country, it appears in quite a lot of place names. But I've no idea whether that's correct for her.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about jewellery? (Not sure if this is right, but it's what the spell checker came up with). It certainly doesn't look right to me!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your jewellery looks spot on to me, St Gwladys (flirt, flirt).

I can spell - in fact, I like to think I can spell very well - I'm just a bloody awful tripeist, which gets me in all sorts of trouble. When I was putting all my family history bumf on computer more time ago than I care to think, I had particular trouble with the name Joseph, which always, always, came out first time as Jospeh...

AG

[ 10. February 2018, 20:14: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this one: "Though the tough cough and hiccough, plough him through thoroughly." That may or may not be an exhaustive list of how to pronounce "ough".
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about the confusing pronunciation of read:
[ as in the act of perusing a book] = sounds like reed
[ as in having perused a book] = red
[ as in the town]= Redding
[as in the act of perusing a book, or speaking the lesson at church] = reeding.
We have a local[Australian] cinema chain which is Readings [ pronounced Reddings], and a really good book store whose name is Readings[ pronounced Reedings]. Controversy doesn't quite rage about the pronunciation of the Cinema chain, but it gets called both.

--------------------
sld2A

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my family "auto correct" is known as "auto cucumber". My biggest fusses with it is that it likes to correct spelling to the wrong spelling as the Canadian market doesn't warrant its own dictionary apparently. Canadian spelling uses counsellor, traveller, with double Ls, and cheque, barbeque, but tire and curb. Among others. (I know, I know, some Canadians don't care nor use the spellings I learned 50+ years ago)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The city of Tucson. I always want to spell it "Tuscon". (It's pronounced "Too-sahn".)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always slightly jarred by the intrusive "K" in "skating rink."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jacobsen--

Which "k"? Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18594 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

and then there's "secetery" rather than "secretary.
Another of the things I find irritating is when people use "stationery" when they mean "stationary" and vice versa. And "off" and "of".

But whoever mentioned "jewellery" is spot on. I always have to look at it twice.

And I give up using some words like the word for being charitable that starts off "elem' there's a 'y' in it somewhere and an "ary" at the end ,and a 'mos' somewhere in between. I give up. Just use charitable instead.

--------------------
sld2A

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
jacobsen--

Which "k"? Thx.

In "rink". Sorry GK, I should have specified. To me it was, being circular, a ring.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Because eleemosynary was a new word I looked it up and there's a great quote on the site:
quote:
you might find that remembering how to spell "eleemosynary" makes you tend to use its synonym "charitable" instead. The good people of early England had mercy on themselves when it came to spelling and shortened the root of "eleemosynary," the Latin eleemosyna, to "ælmes,"
So that's the derivation of alms too.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's surname is Fetherstonhaugh - which of course you all know is pronounced Fanshaw.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I still pronounce Ikea as eekayah, having first met with the place when I was living in Germany 35 years ago. Can't get used to Aikeeyah even now.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I still pronounce Ikea as eekayah, having first met with the place when I was living in Germany 35 years ago. Can't get used to Aikeeyah even now.

The only time I've been in an IKEA was in Sweden, and they pronounced it Ick-ee-ah there!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The only time I've been in an IKEA was in Sweden, and they pronounced it Ick-ee-ah there!
Then they need to stop spelling it with a capital I [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13028 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
The city of Tucson. I always want to spell it "Tuscon". (It's pronounced "Too-sahn".)

It's only within the last year or two that I discovered that place isn't pronounced Tucksǝn!

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait till you are working in another language and another script ... just today someone said he was forwarding me something that might interest me...
written by the Archbishop of Canterbury ...
Justin WALLABY

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re IKEA- surely the only correct pronunciation is 'Yuckier'?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

IKscrewEA,

There always an extra screw.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

No.

See my ‘room’ blog, our house is full of Ikea stuff, I love it 😊💕

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:

Another of the things I find irritating is when people use "stationery" when they mean "stationary" and vice versa. And "off" and "of".

When equipping a new office a few years back, I found a stationery cupboard which was on wheels, i.e. not stationary. Despite this, my recommendation to buy was not accepted.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One word I can never ever spell is 'diarrhoea'. Yes, I just had to copy & paste it.

I prefer to spell it 'dire rear' as that sounds exactly the same and gives an accurate description (but not too graphic) of the condition.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
quote:

Then they need to stop spelling it with a capital I [Biased]
Why would a capital change the pronunciation? English is weird; the rest of Europe understands that long I goes 'ee'. Cf. That island which is correctly pronounced Eebeetha (or arguably - eetha) , with no eyes. We're terrible. Cf also "choritso"

I am well aware that Delia Smith is responsible for that one, and the Great Vowel Shift most of the other ones.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

It’s not so much the capital as the lack of double k or ck.

So Hikea would be ‘aye’ but Hikkea would be ‘i’ as in lid.

But, of course, Ikea isn’t an English word and us English do so like to pronounce things in our own sweet way [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... I had particular trouble with the name Joseph, which always, always, came out first time as Jospeh...

I have that trouble with Louise, which has an unfortunate habit of coming out as Lousie.

No offence meant ... [Big Grin]

And have you ever tried typing opportunity when you're in a hurry?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have trouble writing my own (four letter) name! I can’t count the number of times I’ve spoiled lovely cards by spelling my own name wrong [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When typing I have to be careful, since secretary is easily mis-typed as secretart, and in previous years I appear to have found a new town near Milton Keynes called Newpoet Pagnell (it should be Newport Pagnell).

A few years ago my brother and I were both amused/annoyed by Microsoft's suggestion that instead of writing papers about boreholes we meant to write about brothels... good thing we both always turn as much of the autocorrect options as possible off. [Biased]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When it comes to typing quickly, I am prone to two particular mistakes.

A mountainous country in central Europe, famed for its holey cheese and cuckoo clocks often comes out as Swizterland.

My religious outlook on life also leads, all too often, to adding an extra 't' whenever I address an email to anyone called Chris.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

At least you kept the e in holey - otherwise your religious tendency would be overdoing things. [Razz]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
One word I can never ever spell is 'diarrhoea'. Yes, I just had to copy & paste it.

But on this side of the Pond it's spelled "diarrhea."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As is now traditional in this sort of thread, I must mention the early 90s spellchecker (was it Word or maybe even WordPerfect?) that tried to turn my essay on a Baltic republic into a diplomatic incident by turning every occurence of Latvia into labia.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

Many years ago,when I went into Grade 1 , [as a precociously accomplished reader] I was devastated when the primer's first page was the five vowels, and I was told that I pronounced them incorrectly.They wanted me to use the phonic version; and rebellious even then, I didn't see the point. I could read, couldn't I? And as for Bob and Jane , not to mention their dog, well!

Insufferable brat that I was, I had been given Wind in the Willows for Christmas, and had read it in the summer holidays before the commencement of school. And of course I had an English accent, received BBC at school, until I worked out no one knew what I was saying, and adapted accent to circumstances: Yorkshire[ refined] at home, BBC when out, and Australian when at school. It had the effect that I unconsciously picked up the accent and intonation of places I visited, so I came back from a 2 week placement in Swansea speaking very Welsh.

--------------------
sld2A

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

When I got back from my five year stint in Germany, some people commented that I spoke with a slight German accent. Probably a wind-up.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the first year of my A level studies, I spent a few weeks in Switzerland over the summer, helping a family look after their children. I came back with an increased knowledge of Swiss German vocab, which didn't help much as it's really the equivalent of something like Glaswegian.

However, in my oral exam, the examiner turned out to be Swiss! I greeted him enthusiastically with a 'Gruezi!' and sailed through.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Prophet wrote:
quote:
Coupon should be q-pawn. Except when wrongly pronounced as coo-pawn. Tuesday said chewsday is a little too much.
Ha! That is apparently a N. American regional variant pronunciation. I haven't heard it on this side of the pond, but no doubt somebody will put me straight on that directly.

Coopon or Cyoopon? (though sadly not including Canada).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My children and dear wife say differently than me (they would also say 'differently than I'). My father is responsible for my manner of speech. I also say "khaki" like car-key if I'm being myself. As I've aged I actually observe myself code-switching (if that it the correct term), e.g., schedule as sked-jŭl or shed-yule.

It's pop, never soda.

[ 13. February 2018, 16:28: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016