homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » God the Son = Son of God? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: God the Son = Son of God?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was Jesus the second person of the Trinity?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Yes.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] OKayyyy. The second person of the Trinity became Jesus? I.e. was solely expressed as Jesus from conception?

And we might as well regard the second person of the Trinity as Jesus PRIOR to Incarnation?

[ 01. June 2017, 10:00: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think of it in terms of the trinity. I see God and HS as the same - that which is love and holds the whole caboodle together in love.

Jesus, to me, was a man who was completely full of God (God's Spirit) and never sinned. He was perfect, even 'tho tempted as we are. So he's the 'best' human who ever lived. Could there be another, was there ever another? Yes , there could, but maybe circumstances meant Jesus became the only one we know of.

Follow him and learn from him, he's worth it.

Was he resurrected? I don't know, I hope so.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And we might as well regard the second person of the Trinity as Jesus PRIOR to Incarnation?

Isn't that what separates standard Trinitarianism from something like modalism, it's not just that God decided for a limited period of time to incarnate himself as a human(as in modalism), but rather that the Son had existed right from the beginning, as part of the Godhead, even before he was incarnated?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The second person of the Trinity took on flesh at the conception of Jesus. Unlike the incorrect teaching of kenosis, and according to Paul's teaching, he didn't lay aside his divinity but rather added the form of a servant to his unchanging nature as God, becoming fully man as well as being fully divine.

At the resurrection his physical body was transformed into a resurrected spiritual body which he then took 'back' to Heaven where the man Jesus, eternally united with divinity, sits as God the only Begotten at the right hand of the Father.

[ 01. June 2017, 11:47: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...sorry, I thought this had all been sorted 1600 years ago [Smile]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

Isn't that what separates standard Trinitarianism from something like modalism, it's not just that God decided for a limited period of time to incarnate himself as a human(as in modalism), but rather that the Son had existed right from the beginning, as part of the Godhead, even before he was incarnated?
exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Unlike the incorrect teaching of kenosis, and according to Paul's teaching, he didn't lay aside his divinity but rather added the form of a servant to his unchanging nature as God, becoming fully man as well as being fully divine.

I think this is a misunderstanding of kenosis.

Kenosis holds that in the incarnation, Jesus set aside what we think of as the attributes or powers of divinity-- the "omnis"-- something that is evident from a cursory reading of the gospels, that Jesus was limited in knowledge & power, only able to know/do what he rec'd from the Father.

But kenosis would agree that the incarnate Christ is still "fully God". He has retained the divine will, the mind and heart of God. I think this is consistent with Phil. 2:5-8:

quote:
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

The point here seems to be the opposite of what Mudfrog is suggesting: that Jesus emptied himself of the "omnis" and yet is still fully God. Which I think changes the whole way we think about what it means to be God. It suggests to me that the "omnis" are secondary attributes/abilities-- things that God has, but which are not ultimately defining. Much like you can have red hair, but when your hair turns gray, you're still you.

According to Phil. 2, in my reading anyway, the defining characteristic of divinity-- the thing Jesus never gives up-- is sacrificial, self-giving love.

[ 01. June 2017, 15:38: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The second person of the Trinity became Jesus? I.e. was solely expressed as Jesus from conception?

The Word was with God in the beginning and the Word was God. That Word became flesh.
So Jesus is the same being as the second person of the Trinity, in so far as we can apply any language of 'same' and 'being' to God.

The Chalcedonian definition has it that Jesus is one person with two natures, a divine nature and a human nature.
As I understand it, the easiest way to explain this is to look at the grammar. Talking about persons or beings is addressing questions about which or how many. To say Jesus is one person is to say that the answer to the question 'which being is the human being conceived by Mary and which dwelt in her womb, etc etc' and the answer to the question 'which being is the second person of the Trinity, the son of the Father,' are the same being.
Talking about natures is addressing questions about what kind of thing something is. So saying Jesus has a human nature and a divine nature is to say that he is simultaneously a human kind of thing (with all the properties and capabilities that humans have, which he has in a human way) and
that he is a divine kind of thing (with all the properties and capabilities that God has, which he exercises in the way God does). Which or how many: one person. What is he? Human and divine.

A chair is wooden and chair-shaped. So you can have a wooden thing in a room, and a chair-shaped thing in a room, and yet have only one thing in that room.

When Jesus took decisions he took them simultaneously through the process that humans do and through the process that God does (in so far as it is meaningful to talk of a process of God making decisions which is not much). (The heresy that denies this is called monothelitism.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This past Easter I read The Islamic Jesus by Mustafa Akyol. He makes a very strong argument that the doctrine of the Trinity, as we know it today, would have been foreign to the early Jewish Christian community which died out about the time Mohammad wrote the Qumran. Much of the Qumran understanding of Jesus comes from this deceased Jewish Christian Community.

Mustafa would say it is one thing to say Jesus is God's son, even the Christ, but quite another to say Jesus is one of the persons of the Triune God.

The Triune God comes out of a polytheistic Greek/Roman world view that Akyol says is not actually seen in the Gospels, but is introduced by Paul. To be sure, there is the triune formula of baptism in Matthew, but that was written in a post-Pauline world (we can get into all sorts of arguments as to whether Jesus actually said those words).

This side of eternity I would have to say I do not know how to get beyond this tension. Jesus is God's son, that is true. I will just leave it at that.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when has kenosis not been standard, mainstream Christian doctrine?

As far as I know it's never been defined as such by any major Council, but in the way Cliffdweller defines it my understanding is that it's been the prevailing small o and Big O o/Orthodox view.

Either Mudfrog has misunderstood it or he's putting forward something non-mainstream.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mudfrog--

quote:

Well, you know the Ship. Gotta rehash it, over, and over, and over.
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

As far as I know it's never been defined as such by any major Council, but in the way Cliffdweller defines it my understanding is that it's been the prevailing small o and Big O o/Orthodox view.

Either Mudfrog has misunderstood it or he's putting forward something non-mainstream.

Well it all depends doesn't it?

What is your definition of kenosis?

Would it accord with the poetic 'emptied himself of all but love?' which actually contradicts Wesleys' other wonderful line 'Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, hail the'incarnate Deity'.

If Kenosis is defined as "Christ's 'laying aside' of certain divine attributes in the incarnation' (Alister McGrath) then I would reject it.

There is nothing in the Philippian hymn that suggests laying any divine attribute aside - it mentions no divine attributes at all. What it does say is that he made himself nothing in the sense of humiliation and status.

From my limited reading it seems that the earlier form of kenosis was that either Jesus used his divine attributes in secret (unlikely) or that he simply chose not to use them.

I have to say however that there are occasions when Jesus appeared to read the minds of his detractors, so there was a bit of omniscience going on.

The other objection to the later form of kenosis - i.e. that he laid aside all his divine attributes in order to become fully human - i that it goes against the immutability of God.

It seems to be that in Jesus the Word of God became flesh - he put on the form of a servant without actually becoming only a servant.

If Jesus was merely man from conception to resurrection, then who was on the cross?
If a man, great, he represents us.
But if he's not divine too - if God the Son did not die - then he cannot represent God for us as Saviour.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Mudfrog--

quote:

Well, you know the Ship. Gotta rehash it, over, and over, and over.
[Biased]

Particularly as you, Mudfrog, seem to think that orthodox kenosis as explicated orthodoxly by cliffdweller from Phil. 2:5-8 is wrong. It was right 1600 years ago and it's right now. You aren't. God (the Son Person) in the flesh was qualitatively (morally) God substance in nature without any quantitative (morally neutral) God substance attributes (the omnis).

One should always be positive before being critical, but hey: The Person of God the Son DID partake of humanity, of being fully human, of suffering and serving when He had the rights of God, to what extent is the question of this OP.

You are coming from the most reasonable premiss that God the Son could not collapse in to an insensate ovum, utterly powerless, without consciousness, without will, I infer.

I feel that too. Most strongly.

How could a trans-infinite, pre-eternal, unmeasurable, immeasurable, a-measurable, dimensionless, non-spatial, non-temporal Person(-al being) inseparable from two others of the same ineffable, transcendent substance become as infinitesimal, constrained, oblivious as a cell?

On this one otherwise irrelevant world out of many in our galaxy, many ... many in the visible universe, many ... many ... many ... practically infinite in the inflated universe of the infinite in the eternal multiverse.

BUT the givens in the NT and their orthodox corollaries in the creed SEEM to demand that God the Son left the store completely to become a pinhead of protoplasm only once.

I'm bound to reiterate as I reply to all if I may, Stetson and particularly Dafyd who is being most rigorously theological.

--------------------
Love wins

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be revealing myself to be thick, but aren't Mudfrog and Cliffdweller talking cross-purposes. It seems to me that the former is deprecating a version of kenosis that he doesn't agree with, and the latter is advocating a version of kenosis which is fundamentally different from that version, and which he may well agree with.

These days I find meditating on Trinitarian theology profoundly nourishing at some very deep level. However, I tend to approach it with open palms, and from the starting point that the bits that are too deep for me, the great saints of the C4 understood better than I ever will.

[ 02. June 2017, 10:10: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Nicely put for a fellow thicko Enoch.

Dafyd

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
The second person of the Trinity became Jesus? I.e. was solely expressed as Jesus from conception?

The Word was with God in the beginning and the Word was God. That Word became flesh.
So Jesus is the same being as the second person of the Trinity, in so far as we can apply any language of 'same' and 'being' to God.

I have to keep gnawing at this bone. Sorry. So Jesus is the same subjective, personal being, centre of consciousness as the second person of the Trinity? The centre of consciousness OF the second person of the Trinity became (fully and completely transposed, migrated, collapsed, moved to) the human centre of consciousness Jesus? After months of non-consciousness and more of consciousness development?

Or AS WELL AS?

The second person of the Trinity added a human being to His person? Such that that human being remembered being God, not 'just' by nature but in Person? YHWH, ego eimi. Seeing Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Which He also would have done if He had become omni-less Jesus INSTEAD OF omni God, but in the same continuous consciousness but for the oblivion of the womb and pre-identity.

The Chalcedonian definition has it that Jesus is one person with two natures, a divine nature and a human nature.

Which person? I believe Catholic reasoning IS that the Person and the person are different beings. That they therefore(?) do not share the same consciousness. Or do they?

As I understand it, the easiest way to explain this is to look at the grammar. Talking about persons or beings is addressing questions about which or how many. To say Jesus is one person is to say that the answer to the question 'which being is the human being conceived by Mary and which dwelt in her womb, etc etc' and the answer to the question 'which being is the second person of the Trinity, the son of the Father,' are the same being.

The same continuous consciousness then. Shared by a Person and a person. Serially. Not in parallel? Not in overlap, intersection, superposition?

Talking about natures is addressing questions about what kind of thing something is. So saying Jesus has a human nature and a divine nature is to say that he is simultaneously a human kind of thing (with all the properties and capabilities that humans have, which he has in a human way) and that he is a divine kind of thing (with all the properties and capabilities that God has, which he exercises in the way God does). Which or how many: one person. What is he? Human and divine.

Aye. Was the person a subset of the Person? Did the person intersect with the Person with the natures of each and a shared consciousness? Or a NEW consciousness. Which I believe is Catholic reasoning. If a new, personal consciousness, then was that perichoretic with the Personal consciousness.

A chair is wooden and chair-shaped. So you can have a wooden thing in a room, and a chair-shaped thing in a room, and yet have only one thing in that room.

Aye. Jesus was human and divine. And by your analogy one consciousness that had been omni-God but then wasn't?

When Jesus took decisions he took them simultaneously through the process that humans do and through the process that God does (in so far as it is meaningful to talk of a process of God making decisions which is not much). (The heresy that denies this is called monothelitism.)

Aye, He had two WILLS. A nature doesn't have a will does it? A consciousness does. There were therefore two consciousnesses involved? Or the divine nature imparted another will in, subject to one consciousness?

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

Do you mean a one-person or a Person of the three-Person, one-substance God didn't wear a human mask, as opposed to a Person of the three-Person, one substance God becoming human serially or even in parallel?

[ 02. June 2017, 14:05: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
So Jesus is the same subjective, personal being, centre of consciousness as the second person of the Trinity? The centre of consciousness OF the second person of the Trinity became (fully and completely transposed, migrated, collapsed, moved to) the human centre of consciousness Jesus? After months of non-consciousness and more of consciousness development?

Or AS WELL AS?

According to the Chalcedonian definition, the distinction of each nature is not taken away by the union but the property of each nature is preserved.
In short, Jesus is a fully human being, and also is God. Since human beings are conscious in a human way and God is conscious in some other way, I suppose Jesus must have been conscious in two ways at the same time.
Words such as 'subjective' and 'consciousness' are foreign to the philosophy of the authors of the Creeds. They didn't believe as Descartes did that the mind is a single self-transparent consciousness. A century or so after Freud and other psychoanalysts we shouldn't believe that either.

quote:
I believe Catholic reasoning IS that the Person and the person are different beings. That they therefore(?) do not share the same consciousness. Or do they?
As I understand it, they are the same being, but not necessarily the same consciousness. (You are still the same person when you're asleep or under anaesthesia or otherwise not conscious, so consciousness is not the same as being even for a person.)

(I agree that it is hard to see how a flesh and soul human being can be the same as the Second Person of the Trinity which has neither flesh nor soul. But that I think is because we have no way of knowing what it is to be the Second Person of the Trinity, the being of God being entirely beyond our intellectual comprehension.)

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thank you SO much for this Dafyd, really. I ain't done yet, but gotta go do some van drivin'.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Well it all depends doesn't it?

What is your definition of kenosis?

Would it accord with the poetic 'emptied himself of all but love?' which actually contradicts Wesleys' other wonderful line 'Veiled in flesh the Godhead see, hail the'incarnate Deity'.

If Kenosis is defined as "Christ's 'laying aside' of certain divine attributes in the incarnation' (Alister McGrath) then I would reject it.

There is nothing in the Philippian hymn that suggests laying any divine attribute aside - it mentions no divine attributes at all. What it does say is that he made himself nothing in the sense of humiliation and status.

From my limited reading it seems that the earlier form of kenosis was that either Jesus used his divine attributes in secret (unlikely) or that he simply chose not to use them.

I have to say however that there are occasions when Jesus appeared to read the minds of his detractors, so there was a bit of omniscience going on.

The other objection to the later form of kenosis - i.e. that he laid aside all his divine attributes in order to become fully human - i that it goes against the immutability of God.

It seems to be that in Jesus the Word of God became flesh - he put on the form of a servant without actually becoming only a servant.

If Jesus was merely man from conception to resurrection, then who was on the cross?
If a man, great, he represents us.
But if he's not divine too - if God the Son did not die - then he cannot represent God for us as Saviour.

Again, the problem here I think is that you are defining "Godness" as the "omnis"-- being all-powerful, all-knowing. You are suggesting that what makes God God is raw power in the way we in our fallible humanness understand God. So the minute we (or, imho, Paul) suggest that Jesus laid aside the "omnis" in the incarnation, you hear us as suggesting that the incarnate Christ was not fully God.

I believe there is sufficient evidence in both the gospels to support our (very traditional) reading of Phil. 2: There are abundant times when Jesus doesn't know something (e.g. when he will return), numerous times he makes clear that he is only able to do or know what the Father reveals/allows at that moment. Prior to the resurrection he is not omniscient, omnipotent, nor omnipresent-- he can only be one place at a time.

And yet, we agree with the ancient creeds that in every moment, he was indeed fully God. Because God is not defined by the "omnis". They are attributes-- like red hair or freckles or the ability to speak French. These may be part of how people know us, but they aren't defining elements-- they aren't the essence that makes you you.

But I think what is radical about the incarnation-- it is revealing a whole other way to understand God. It is part of our human fallenness that we think of the "omnis" as the defining element-- tied to the "myth of redemptive violence" discussed elsewhere-- it is the way of what we think of power-- the ability to do whatever we want. It is the way a child thinks of "Godness": "If I were God I would make the rivers flow with root beer and candy would grow everywhere like grass". Being God is all about being in control.

But Jesus shows us something different. Jesus shows us a way of thinking about power that is all about self-giving, sacrificial love. That is what is "immutable" about God-- the immutable, divine essence-- the divine nature.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I may be revealing myself to be thick, but aren't Mudfrog and Cliffdweller talking cross-purposes. It seems to me that the former is deprecating a version of kenosis that he doesn't agree with, and the latter is advocating a version of kenosis which is fundamentally different from that version, and which he may well agree with..

That was my first impression as well-- which is why I began by saying "Mudfrog has misunderstood kenosis". But his response to Gamaliel sounds more like he understands it, but is objecting to the ancient doctrine. His earlier post might have been a bit of a straw man-- misrepresenting to some degree what we believe. But the later one seems to be tracking with the historic doctrine, but simply disagreeing with it on the basis of "immutability". I would argue that "immutability" is a concept from Greek philosophy, not biblical theology. Rather, what we see in Scripture is the consistency of God's divine nature or character, which is what remains constant in Christ even as he lays aside the "omnis".

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
quote:
So Jesus is the same subjective, personal being, centre of consciousness as the second person of the Trinity? The centre of consciousness OF the second person of the Trinity became (fully and completely transposed, migrated, collapsed, moved to) the human centre of consciousness Jesus? After months of non-consciousness and more of consciousness development?

Or AS WELL AS?

According to the Chalcedonian definition, the distinction of each nature is not taken away by the union but the property of each nature is preserved.

In short, Jesus is a fully human being
[person and substance?], and also is God [substance only?]. Since human beings are conscious in a human way and God is conscious in some other way, I suppose Jesus must have been conscious in two ways at the same time [this implies person as well as substance? But Jesus was ONE, new, single fully human person. NOT two persons. NOT a person and a Person. OR is consciousness an aspect of subjective person AND substance or even SOLELY an aspect of SUBSTANCE. This looks like a breakthrough I've never encountered before and as there's nothing new under the sun ... wrong! But it's thanks to reading what you say below and looping back that I'm here.].

Words such as 'subjective' and 'consciousness' are foreign to the philosophy of the authors of the Creeds. They didn't believe as Descartes did that the mind is a single self-transparent consciousness. A century or so after Freud and other psychoanalysts we shouldn't believe that either.

And there you are. I agree, thanks to Bertrand Russell initially, that 'cogito ergo sum' deconstructs to 'thought/thinking exists', 'something is thinking'. Is that congruent with what you are implying?

This is fascinating. What DID they assume about their personhood, their 'Me', their 'I'? I just Googled 'ancient greek philosophy of the mind'. Bugger me!

So, for now, my proposition that consciousness is an aspect of substance not person helps me and fits further with what you continue to say, I feel.

quote:
I believe Catholic reasoning* IS that the Person and the person are different beings. That they therefore(?) do not share the same consciousness. Or do they?
As I understand it, they are the same being, but not necessarily the same consciousness. (You are still the same person when you're asleep or under anaesthesia or otherwise not conscious, so consciousness is not the same as being even for a person.

Uh oh!

If a Person and a person are the same being CONCURRENTLY, in parallel, perichoretically, then being, there, means substance?

Can't be?!

Unless the perichoresis = substance?

If a Person and a person are the same being SERIALLY the problem goes away? And another arises ... a BIGGY. THE biggy: Whilst the second person of the Trinity was solely incarnate, who was minding the store?

Islam similarly makes the problems all go away by making God 'simple': a one person substance who shares nothing of his person.

'strewth!

Is
a consciousness a person whether conscious or not?

What do you mean by a being? A philosophical, objective entity? Something that exists? Or/and ... a subjective person?!

Is consciousness with will, intellect an attribute of the substance nature that
a consciousness, a person has, accesses when awake only? All painfully obvious stuff that I feel the need for definition of.

A person is a consciousness whether conscious or not?!

Stroll on!

(I agree that it is hard to see how a flesh and soul human being can be the same as the Second Person of the Trinity which has neither flesh nor soul. But that I think is because we have no way of knowing what it is to be the Second Person of the Trinity, the being of God being entirely beyond our intellectual comprehension.)

NO! NO!! And thrice!!! C'mon Dafyd. Your're my best hope!

We have propositions. We have logic. We must be able to come up with a narrative that is initially independent of modern physics, that is classically logical.

"a flesh and soul human being person can be the same as the Second Person of the Trinity which has neither flesh nor soul, concurrently, in parallel, overlapping IN CONSCIOUSNESS, in perichoretic separately willed, intellectual, conscienced consciousnesses ..."

AAAARRRGGGH! That still looks weasely. Meaningless!

"a flesh and soul human being person can APPEAR TO be the same as the Second Person of the Trinity which has neither flesh nor soul, DUE TO BEING concurrently, in parallel, overlapping IN CONSCIOUSNESS, in perichoretic separately willed, intellectual, conscienced consciousnessES ..."

Sigh. For now I'll assume willed, intellectual consciousness is a fact of nature, substance. And that the one person Jesus could therefore have two such perichoretic consciousnesses.

Where consciousness means a willed, intellectual entity.

Classically that deconstructs to ... a will?

* I find this as good an orthodox starting place as any.

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Cliffdweller said.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
I may be revealing myself to be thick, but aren't Mudfrog and Cliffdweller talking cross-purposes. It seems to me that the former is deprecating a version of kenosis that he doesn't agree with, and the latter is advocating a version of kenosis which is fundamentally different from that version, and which he may well agree with..

That was my first impression as well-- which is why I began by saying "Mudfrog has misunderstood kenosis". But his response to Gamaliel sounds more like he understands it, but is objecting to the ancient doctrine. His earlier post might have been a bit of a straw man-- misrepresenting to some degree what we believe. But the later one seems to be tracking with the historic doctrine, but simply disagreeing with it on the basis of "immutability". I would argue that "immutability" is a concept from Greek philosophy, not biblical theology. Rather, what we see in Scripture is the consistency of God's divine nature or character, which is what remains constant in Christ even as he lays aside the "omnis".
Which prior Greek sources contain these then?

Numbers 23:19 (KJV) God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

1 Samuel 15:29 (KJV) And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Psalm 102:26 (KJV) They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:

Malachi 3:6 (KJV) For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

2 Timothy 2:13 (KJV) If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Hebrews 6:17-18 (KJV)

17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

James 1:17(KJV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Did you mean impassible?

[ 03. June 2017, 14:38: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Which prior Greek sources contain these then?

Numbers 23:19 (KJV) God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

1 Samuel 15:29 (KJV) And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

Psalm 102:26 (KJV) They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed:

Malachi 3:6 (KJV) For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

2 Timothy 2:13 (KJV) If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Hebrews 6:17-18 (KJV)

17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

James 1:17(KJV) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Did you mean impassible?

I think we're saying the same thing here. The verses you're citing are all defining God's immutability in terms of his character, nature or heart. None refer to the "omnis" as immutable-- the thing that is "immutable" for God is his truth, goodness, and sacrificial love.

re: immutable v impassible: really I'm responding to the strain of Calvinist theology that conflates the two.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ah! Agreed. Jesus had obviously had no omnis of Himself.

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dafyd:
In short, Jesus is a fully human being [person and substance?]

I am not entirely sure I know how you're using the words 'person' and 'substance' and so I'm not sure how to answer the question.
The matter is complicated in that the word 'hypostasis' (translated 'substance') is ambiguous in philosophical Greek.

quote:
What DID they assume about their personhood, their 'Me', their 'I'? I just Googled 'ancient greek philosophy of the mind'. Bugger me!
I don't think they talked about their 'Me' or their 'I' as far as I'm aware.

quote:
So, for now, my proposition that consciousness is an aspect of substance not person helps me and fits further with what you continue to say, I feel.
Firstly, I think that in most contexts other than Trinitarian philosophy 'substance' and 'person' are identical: a 'person' is an individual rational substance. The use of two different terms in Trinitarian philosophy is largely to avoid the logical incoherence of saying that there's both three and one of exactly the same thing.

In any case assuming I know what you mean which may be unwise I think I was saying that Jesus must have had two consciousnesses, assuming I have understood the implications correctly.

quote:
Whilst the second person of the Trinity was solely incarnate, who was minding the store?
If I understand you correctly I think I was saying that the Second Person of the Trinity was not 'solely incarnate'. That would be claiming that the Incarnation was the conversion of the godhead into flesh, which is denied in I think the Athanasian Creed. The Second Person of the Trinity continued and continues to have a divine intellect and will, which would have been 'minding the store'.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thanks again Dafyd, for your patience and precision.
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dafyd:
In short, Jesus is a fully human being [person and substance?]

I am not entirely sure I know how you're using the words 'person' and 'substance' and so I'm not sure how to answer the question.

I was using them in the Trinitarian sense, which is incorrect in this context as you go on to demonstrate: a person is a substance, whereas a Trinitarian Person is not THE God ousia but is an hypostasis (a sub-substance?) of that ousia.

A substance, essence, ousia can therefore consist of others? Chemistry comes to mind. The substance water is made of two others, hydrogen and oxygen. Sub-substances.

So a p/Person - hypostasis - can be a substance, an ousia, an essence in themselves? According to Boethius to whom you allude below?

The matter is complicated in that the word 'hypostasis' (translated 'substance') is ambiguous in philosophical Greek.

Understood, Trinitarianly sub-stance = hypo-stasis != ousia = ... substance

quote:
What DID they assume about their personhood, their 'Me', their 'I'? I just Googled 'ancient greek philosophy of the mind'. Bugger me!
I don't think they talked about their 'Me' or their 'I' as far as I'm aware.
quote:
Firstly, I think that in most contexts other than Trinitarian philosophy 'substance' and 'person' are identical: a 'person' is an individual rational substance. The use of two different terms in Trinitarian philosophy is largely to avoid the logical incoherence of saying that there's both three and one of exactly the same thing.

Thanks.

In any case assuming I know what you mean which may be unwise I think I was saying that Jesus must have had two consciousnesses, assuming I have understood the implications correctly.

Agreed. And there's nowt wrong with your wisdom in dealing with my witless ambiguity.

quote:
Whilst the second person of the Trinity was solely incarnate, who was minding the store?
If I understand you correctly I think I was saying that the Second Person of the Trinity was not 'solely incarnate'. That would be claiming that the Incarnation was the conversion of the godhead into flesh, which is denied in I think the Athanasian Creed. The Second Person of the Trinity continued and continues to have a divine intellect and will, which would have been 'minding the store'.

I will pore over it again, thanks. I need these absolutes. And I'm sorry for not seeing with your clarity and what you clearly say!

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The Athanasian Creed on the Incarnation:

30. For the right faith is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and man.

31. God of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and man of substance of His mother, born in the world.

32. Perfect God and perfect man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.

33. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His manhood.

34. Who, although He is God and man, yet He is not two, but one Christ.

35. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by taking of that manhood into God.

36. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by unity of person.

37. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man, so God and man is one Christ;

It was there all along.

Demonstrating how woefully ignorant one is without a basic, catechetical, theological education, which is true of many of us here.

The implications of point 35 are truly cosmic.

--------------------
Love wins

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess there is a paradox at the heart of Incarnation:

Is incarnation about God "coming down" or is it about humanity "being lifted up"?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
romanesque
Shipmate
# 18785

- Posted      Profile for romanesque     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was taught the Trinity is a mystery, in other words a truth but beyond our comprehension. Deconstructing the constituent parts probably won't add anything to its understanding, so I'm content to accept my duh will be enlightened into a d'oh once I've thrown off this mortal flesh.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

The Incarnation is most definitely God coming down. Jesus was fully man - an ordinary man, not lifted up in any way - however, in full union with that, he was also fully divine without making the human any more or any less human.

However, the ascension means that the human Jesus, the man, is now lifted up, exalted and glorified.

There is now a man in the Godhead.

[ 05. June 2017, 16:03: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Indeed.

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No.

He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power - Hebrews 1:3.

God imparted his personhood completely into Jesus Christ. Hence, God incarnate.

Jesus confirms he is the Father in John 14:8-9 in first person language.

Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip?

--------------------
God gave you free will so you could give it back.

Posts: 200 | From: Kansas City | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Riiiiggghhht. He's not the Son, He's the Father. So who's the Son? What's He ever been up to?

Who did Jesus the Father pray to?

Did the Son mind the store? While the Father was down here?

[ 05. June 2017, 17:25: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

- Posted      Profile for Aijalon   Email Aijalon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is on the table for you Martin60? Are you questioning the trinity or only trying to better understand it?

For me, as you see, it is a version of modalism that holds true.

I feel that modalism is often expressed in terms of God switching into 3 different personal roles.

I find that to be a crude way of putting it, but none the less it is accurate. I would simply add one thing to that. God is not switching roles, he is simply shifting dimensions.

As I see modalism operating

1) God relates to man mentally and ideologically, as a supreme, benevolent, creator - at a personal level, this is God as Father.

2) God relates to man inwardly and emotionally as the Holy Ghost. This is power and energy, this is our motivation and inspiration. Much could be said here about the attributes of motherhood and femininity.

3) God relates to man materially as a brother. This completes the "image of God". Jesus is the incarnation of the full Godhead, as literally quoted and expressly understood by the early church.

So nothing about God's PERSON changed in the incarnation, he simply expressed to us - for the first time, a physically-human representation of himself (not counting Angel of the Lord encounters I suppose).

This completes a triune nature of God in three dimensions, not three persons. There is really no basis for God expressed in each dimension as being different individual persons. It is simply in our limited capacity that we struggle to relate to one person at three levels of reality.

just one. Unfortunately, staunch trinitarians

[ 05. June 2017, 17:36: Message edited by: Aijalon ]

--------------------

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

sorry, I failed to delete that last line, disregard it.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thanks to orthodox Trinitarian theology I'm understanding the Incarnation better.

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

Where did the X and Y Chromosomes come from, respectively? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You'll find the answer in the Gospels.

--------------------
Love wins

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Creator, god?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aijalon:
quote:

No.

He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power - Hebrews 1:3.

Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip?

Cut that quote a bit short on both ends to prove a point, did we?

quote:
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Jesus clearly never said He was the Father, and clearly speaks to them being separate persons of the trinity.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Blimey ... Looks like we've got an outbreak of Oneness Pentecostalism aboard ...

Quick, let's head to port and into quarantine ...

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah but sharkshooter, you're only using the whole text and perfect logic. You need to make your mind up FIRST, using common sense. THEN you can use any text that supports.

--------------------
Love wins

Aijalon
Shipmate
# 18777

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
quote:

No.

Cut that quote a bit short on both ends to prove a point, did we?

quote:
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.” 9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.

Jesus clearly never said He was the Father, and clearly speaks to them being separate persons of the trinity.

I think you simply need to put yourself in Phillip's shoes bro. He never said anything about separate persons, YOU said that. And no trinity, some council said that.

Jesus went about speaking of HIMSELF in the second person. Maybe not common but he's no common man, and he had a mysterious mission to do.

So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him.

Now we come along later and we say "hmmm, nope, nobody talks like that, so Jesus must mean some other perrson. I mean, who personifies themselves in the second person? That's just wierd. So there must be more persons to God than just one..."

Hey, hello! Jesus just told you "it's 'me'".

He says nobody has seen the father, but now you have..... Hey. Get it in your head. He was hiding who he was up to the point near to his death. Why would Jesus hide who he was? He wanted people to continue to focus on what is above, to where he was going!

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You can take the boy out of the cult ...

--------------------
Love wins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Jesus went about speaking of HIMSELF in the second person. Maybe not common but he's no common man, and he had a mysterious mission to do.

So he ends his trip, and spills the full beans.... Bro - I'm him.

He doesn't say, "I'm him" or "I am the Father". That's an interpretation, and there are overwhelming difficulties with it. "I am the Father" would both be easier and clearer things to say than saying 'I am in the Father and the Father is in me,' which is what he actually said. If he could have said it clearly and in fact said something more complicated then unless there's some good reason to think otherwise he probably meant the more complicated thing.

Given all the times that Jesus prays to the Father one cannot simply identify Jesus with the Father. You have to dismiss far too much of what Jesus says as pretence or playacting. (In particular there are times when Jesus says that although the Father knows something he doesn't, which on your reading would be outright falsehoods.)

--------------------

irreverend tod
Shipmate
# 18773

- Posted      Profile for irreverend tod   Email irreverend tod   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Related to this, but slightly tangential, I've been using Richard Rohr's explanation of Trinitarian theology to try to explain this to the bemused of the parish. This includes the teens at secular youth club and the nice old ladies in our church. The book is his latest offering 'the divine dance' and looks at the general lack of engagement with the trinity and subsequent dualist thinking.
Since the contributions so far show that there re quite a few who do engage with trying to understand the philosophical I as wondering if anyone hear had any thoughts on what he has to say.

--------------------
Diocesan Arsonist and Lead thief to the Church of England.

Posts: 55 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
romanesque
Shipmate
# 18785

- Posted      Profile for romanesque     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bible is a mixture of history, law, poetics, lists and revelation. What it isn't is a Haynes Manual which shows the workings of a three cylinder reciprocating engine if you stare long enough at the appropriate page. Some things you have to roll with and trust the engine will keep working.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Razor sharp Dafyd, Occam's razor sharp. The actual epitome of common sense in dealing with the data rather than the common sense of God having to be simple.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016