homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The New Bishop of London (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The New Bishop of London
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...has just been announced:
Downing Street announcement.

I think that this is quite a surprise to many, including the bookies. It will be interesting to see how things work out with the various factions in the diocese.

It is certainly interesting that a bishop who refrained from ordaining anyone to the priesthood so that he did not ordain any woman to that office has been replaced by a female bishop.

Would shipmates like to offer some speculation as to how things might evolve as Bishop Sarah takes up the reins?

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Press conference coverage promised shortly on the BBC2 Victoria Derbyshire show...
Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Son of a preacherman
Shipmate
# 4181

- Posted      Profile for Son of a preacherman   Email Son of a preacherman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly that seems to have gone the same way as Mo Farah on SPOTY [Frown]
Posts: 168 | From: Sussex by the Sea | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of a preacherman:
Sadly that seems to have gone the same way as Mo Farah on SPOTY [Frown]

[Confused] I don’t understand a word of this sentence.

But I’m thrilled for Bishop Sarah [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard her speak to a gathering of chaplains and found her excellent; deep, sharp and human. I think she is comfortable in the tricky blend of worlds where faith and government meet, which has got to be good for a bishop of London.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is +Sarah's own statement.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Just wow.

Good for her - but she'll need a lot of prayer and support. From all 'factions'.

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see pete173 has given her a warm welcome. I found her personal statement very encouraging.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of her - but it sounds as if it is a bold and excellent decision.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably because she has been actually working hard at her job(s) .

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

Her statement has a good paragraph acknowledging the different traditions in the diocese, and expressing her intention of working constructively with all.

I find it interesting that she recognises the church planting not only by Holy Trinity, Brompton (charismatic evangelical) but also St Helen's, Bishopsgate (the 'mother church' of the conservative evangelicals).

The charismatics will have no problem with her appointment. They may have been uncertain a few years back, but now they are generally promoting it.

How the conevos will react is more interesting. Last week, the vicar of St Helen's gave a
'warning' that they might leave the CofE if the next bishop of London was not "orthodox on sex". Given that the other main shibboleth of the conevos is "no women in spiritual authority over men", I'm intrigued to see what their reaction will be.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've heard similar statements about respecting different traditions from evangelicals in the past. The reality of some of them have figured in threads on this site about places such as St Sepulchre-without-Newgate, St Thomas Heigham, etc. so we wait and see.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just heard a news report on how encouraging it was to see a woman appointed to one of the top three roles in the Church for the first time.

I imagine HM the Q might have a view on that!

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the news, and I know that she would not have been appointed if she was not up to a really challenging job (whoever it is, whatever gender).

Yes, it is great that a woman has been appointed to this role. As always, it is tragic that this is news.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GreyFace
Shipmate
# 4682

- Posted      Profile for GreyFace   Email GreyFace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where does she stand on matters LGBTI+?
Posts: 5748 | From: North East England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved her statement

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:

From The Guardian:

Mullally is viewed as supportive of LGBT equality. The new bishop said London was a very diverse city and that she hoped everyone could find a spiritual home. She did, however, endorse current C of E teaching that marriage was a union between a man and woman, saying: “I absolutely support that.”

Pick the bones out of that. Probably not inclusive enough for some. I wonder if St Helen's Bishopsgate are going to give back the keys to our building.

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdFooter:
quote:
Originally posted by GreyFace:

From The Guardian:

Mullally is viewed as supportive of LGBT equality. The new bishop said London was a very diverse city and that she hoped everyone could find a spiritual home. She did, however, endorse current C of E teaching that marriage was a union between a man and woman, saying: “I absolutely support that.”

Pick the bones out of that. Probably not inclusive enough for some. I wonder if St Helen's Bishopsgate are going to give back the keys to our building.

Not an Anglican these days but still concerned to see the Kingdom built through the faith and example of my Anglican brothers and sisters. As an outside a few thoughts come to mind.

Notice the use of the word "current" in this context.

The big question for many in London will reflect when/if "current" policy changes, will her views change with it? In other words, are her views on marriage fixed or open to change?

If it's the latter (the cynic might suggest it's possible given the use of "current," her views on inclusivity and not being part of the evangelical stable), I'd say look out, watch this space. Jayne Ozanne, who is committed to fighting for inclusion at all levels, welcomes the appointment which would suggest that she (Jayne) sees the possibility at least - and perhaps even the certainty - of significant change under Sarah Mullaley's tenure.

Not quite, then, the appointment some may claim it to be and possibly even a Trojan horse for the Diocese. I get the impression that Sarah is rather more liberal and possibly more committed to following a broader part line from Synod, than we suspect or are being told.

It might help too if, for once, we had a church leader from somewhere other than a upper class Oxbridge or middle class background. At least one who spends rather more time in state schools than they do in public schools.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

It might help too if, for once, we had a church leader from somewhere other than a upper class Oxbridge or middle class background. At least one who spends rather more time in state schools than they do in public schools.

Winston Churchill Comprehensive School, Woking Sixth Form College, and South Bank Polytechnic. That all sounds very state school to me. She's been a nurse most of her life, which tends to expose one to the great variety of humankind at its most vulnerable.

A competent person, by what I can discover.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:

Winston Churchill Comprehensive School, Woking Sixth Form College, and South Bank Polytechnic. That all sounds very state school to me. She's been a nurse most of her life, which tends to expose one to the great variety of humankind at its most vulnerable.

Not forgetting the South East Institute of Theological Education, which is very definitely not a Bishop Factory. (Full disclosure, I was there about the same time as +Sarah). And if you are the sort of person who wants to be dubbed by her Majesty then politics and the civil service are better paths to preferment than nursing.

Either she's extraordinarily competent, or she has a dossier of extremely incriminating material about the Crown Appointments Commission stashed away somewhere. I can't claim to have known her well, but I suspect the former is more likely.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard her being interviewed by Mishal Hussain on Today this morning. When MH asked her specifically about St Helen's Bishopsgate and their threat to leave etc, etc, she floundered, ending up with a non-sequitur about diversity in Hackney.

Someone needs to give +Jane some urgent training in traditional CofE flanelling.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

An interesting fact was lurking in the Christian Today article about St Helen's, Bishopsgate, which I linked to above: the associate rector of St H's, Charles Skrine, was on the Crown Nominations Commission for the appointment (probably one of the diocesan representatives). Oh, to have been a fly on the wall...

When I read the report originally, I thought it was a blast at the favourite for the appointment, Stephen Cotterell. Now, I'm wondering if it was a warning shot across the bows, knowing who was to be appointed.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
I just heard a news report on how encouraging it was to see a woman appointed to one of the top three roles in the Church for the first time.

Yes, I believe she is #2, below God.

So if +London is #3 that puts ++Canterbury and ++York in their place. [Two face]

Or bad reportage. Seems likely.

I love the footwashing bit early in the bishop's statement. [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nice one! I hadn't thought of that! [Smile]
I think it was a pity that she would not give a direct answer to Michelle Hussein's question on Today this morning who asked the new Bishop if homosexuality is a sin. She responded with waffle.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mishal Husain actually asked
quote:
Do you think homosexual relationships are sinful?
It's true that Sarah Mullally avoided answering the question, and took refuge in reasserting that there is currently an ongoing process of reflection. I might have preferred her simply to say "I'm not going to answer that now because I'm engaged in a process…" etc. etc.

[ 19. December 2017, 10:57: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Heard her being interviewed by Mishal Hussain on Today this morning. When MH asked her specifically about St Helen's Bishopsgate and their threat to leave etc, etc, she floundered, ending up with a non-sequitur about diversity in Hackney.

Someone needs to give +Jane some urgent training in traditional CofE flanelling.

Blimey, I thought only the Pope got to change their name, when appointed.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Grammatically,depending on how the original statement was phrased, it just might be possible to defend it. HMQ was not 'appointed' to her role.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had that thought too, but I suppose she thinks she was "appointed" by God [Angel]

I certainly tend to think that accounts for her taking her role very seriously.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames

Thank you - I should have checked the wording. I agree with what you think might have been a better choice of words.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:

Yep she trained as a Nurse but went into management. Most of the hands on nurses I know see that kind of position as a desire to get away from the patients.

The Oxbridge comment wasn't addressed at her per se but I can see that it wasn't worded well. Apologies. My general thought still stands though - most of our Bishops male and female come from one narrow social class or grouping. A Farm Labourer on the Bishops' bench anyone?

As to whether or how well she will be accepted in London her vacillation on Radio 4 this morning on the LGBT question will have done her no good at all. One wonders how she answered that question at interview - perhaps we should be told. If she wasn't asked it then the process is not robust.

[ 19. December 2017, 13:14: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear me. Not yet installed, but already weighed in the balances, and found wanting.

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
Yep she trained as a Nurse but went into management. Most of the hands on nurses I know see that kind of position as a desire to get away from the patients.
It's a paradox that if someone is good in a hands on position the obvious reward is a management role. So quite often you encounter people who used to be really good at their jobs who are now filling roles to which they are not really suited. Or you get people who are really good at their jobs and then don't get promoted because they are not management material and then spend much of their working life seething with resentment. This is, apparently, one of the drivers of white collar crime. And it is an article of faith among those who have not the aptitude or desire to take on a management role that the bosses are useless and all the real work is done by the grunts at the coal face. I've seen this in accountancy, law enforcement and among the parochial clergy and have no doubt it exists in other sectors as well.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, there are certainly posters on this thread (and other threads) who clearly believe that the C of E hierarchy is unfit to manage anything.

IJ

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Dear me. Not yet installed, but already weighed in the balances, and found wanting.

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

Not true. Comments and reflections are based on experience of the individual in present/past roles. Such experience can be a good guide for future expectations
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I had that thought too, but I suppose she thinks she was "appointed" by God [Angel]

Don't have knowledge of her, aside from the links - is she on the evangelical end? which I get from the "commitment to follow.... as a teenager".

(I was not serious enough to commit to much as a teen, except to try to survive being a teen.)

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Don't have knowledge of her, aside from the links - is she on the evangelical end? which I get from the "commitment to follow.... as a teenager".

(I was not serious enough to commit to much as a teen, except to try to survive being a teen.)

I assume np you are enquiring about Sarah Mullally - though the post you are quoting is about Her Majesty the Queen!
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good heavens BroJames - yes the bishop not the queen! (Goose ball that I am!)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I hope that both HM the Q and My Lady of London believe that they are in God's hands, at any rate!

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

BTW, +Sarah served her curacy here, which may give those interested some idea of her churchmanship. Open evangelical/MOTR, perhaps?

IJ

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

I think it was a pity that she would not give a direct answer to Michelle Hussein's question on Today this morning who asked the new Bishop if homosexuality is a sin. She responded with waffle.

A pity maybe but certainly not unsurprising. Any self respecting Bishop who wants to hold on to their newly acquired mitre needs all the guile of a politician.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I would agree with that, were it not for the sheer cockupedness that politicians give us...

+Sarah will indeed need wisdom, and serpentian guile, along with a GSOH....

(What is it with St. H's, Bishopsgate? If the C of E really is pants filled with smelly poo, why don't they hand back the keys, and go where the underwear is pure?).

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drat - some of us in this diocese were hoping to poach her for our vacancy.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Drat - some of us in this diocese were hoping to poach her for our vacancy.

Another Evangelical is on his way

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
>> cockupedness <<

Sigmund noticed you gave the Finger to those who would corner the Bishop. (so naughty!)
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Bishops Finger
quote:
What is it with St. H's, Bishopsgate? If the C of E really is pants filled with smelly poo, why don't they hand back the keys, and go where the underwear is pure?
[Overused] [Killing me] [Overused]

Presumably something along the lines of the notorious "mormon chastity pants" we first heard of during the Joyce McKinney scandal???

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad somebody else remembers those- I usually get blank looks when I refer to them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Perhaps that's what was indeed at the back of my mind when I posted, God help me.....

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

Just read the transcript of the Radio 4 interview. Oh dear.

She must have known the question was coming: why such fudge and hesitation in response?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a link?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just read the transcript of the Radio 4 interview. Oh dear.

She must have known the question was coming: why such fudge and hesitation in response?

Perhaps she fudged her answer because she doesn't suffer from the unequivocal certainty either way that benights so many others who have such an itch to pronounce on the subject.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016