homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Windows 10 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Windows 10
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Windows 7 and will not be upgrading to 10.

Soon I'm going to give up on Windows entirely and 'Apple up' with iphone, ipad and mac book.

I'll let you know how this Granny Smith gets on with the big Apple!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Well if you can't be pedantic and bang on about the pointless little things that annoy you in Hell where the fuck can you?

I thought that was everywhere, for people of advanced, erm, experience. [Razz]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turns out that automatic downloading thing is set to get even pushier. With more automatically trying to install.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2430786/updategate-microsoft-is-now-installing-windows-10-by-default-in-windows-upda te

Bloody hell that's rude.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had noticed that nagging had started again.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing about Windows Update is that it is very easy to change the settings. If you're on a metered service where you need to keep an eye on your usage then it would make sense to select the "inform me but don't download" for all updates. Then when you have unlimited access (eg: at home with wifi through your broadband) you can make the decisions about what to download. Simples.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not surprised MS is doing this, unethical as it might be. They've got the very devil of a problem with all the Windows XP and IE 6 and whatnot stll scratching a living which is now the digital equivalent of a dead sheep in a water source; it's a breeding ground for all sorts of shite which can no longer be patched and maintained. They don't want this again in five years time when Windows 7 is out of extended support - they're hoping, I expect (and not unreasonably) that Vista will be dead and gone by then - which is why it's being offered to W7/8/8.1 only. They want as much as possible of the W7/8/8.1 worldwide estate moved onto 10 during the free period. By limiting the free period, they persuade people to allow their machines to be updated.

That's my reading, any road.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The thing about Windows Update is that it is very easy to change the settings. If you're on a metered service where you need to keep an eye on your usage then it would make sense to select the "inform me but don't download" for all updates. Then when you have unlimited access (eg: at home with wifi through your broadband) you can make the decisions about what to download. Simples.

Except I've read more than one claim that Windows Update is changing its settings back, unannounced.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only way to turn off automatic updates on Windows 10 is download another program - and that's to stop Windows 10 continually updating a program that hasn't worked.

The one that comes up as a current concern is the use of home PCs to download updates to other PCs.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows 10 is like being forced to eat all of your vegetables and still getting a spanking. We have banned it in my office. Windows 10 cannot connect to the server nor the office wifi.

Unless Microsoft can get into the mobile phone market at a decent percent of the market, they are probably doomed. Google is killing the Google Chrome operating system and moving everything to Android. The future is mobile not MS's forcefeeding bloat.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Windows 10 is like being forced to eat all of your vegetables and still getting a spanking.

That is actually Mac. Except Mac users will say they like vegetables and enjoy the spanking.

You wish to make a food analogy?
Microsoft is a massive restaurant who must cater to a variety of customers with different needs and desires. They've made an attempt at a menu which serves all the needs adequately, but some customers insist on their own variations and past sell-by date ingredients. The chef is trying new menu items without proper taste testing and the waitstaff are constantly recommending over-priced side dishes because this is where the money is made.

Linux is a limited-menu restaurant in which you bring your spices, veggies, recipes and cook half your meal. And, unless you pick the right main at the right time, odds are the meal won't be completely edible.

Apple is a pretentious bistro with one menu item: Tofu Steak. But this is OK, because we love tofu steak, everybody loves tofu steak, if they would but try it. Every day, every time, we love tofu steak. Tofu steak is the only thing we will ever eat. Until the menu is changed to tofu chicken because tofu chicken is the only thing we ever eat and ever wanted to.
Oh, and the chef yells at us because he made a mistake, we admit that we are at fault for noticing that mistake. We are ever so naughty for mentioning it. (Sorry, sorry, sir! Feature, not mistake, feature!)

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have Windows 7 and will not be upgrading to 10.

Soon I'm going to give up on Windows entirely and 'Apple up' with iphone, ipad and mac book.

I'll let you know how this Granny Smith gets on with the big Apple!

And me. W7 was the last straw - months of misery with nothing working right. With a bit of luck the new Mac machine will be here this week, and to Microsoft, like the French Knight, "I fart in your general direction!"

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We let the Mac computers and connect to server and network, but tell them two things: if you do an update and can't connect properly after, you will pay for any consultant time, and the slowness of the connection to the server is your computer's fault, not the server's. So I guess they get spanked more than once.

Linux is a lot like gluten-free or Coeliac disease friendly cuisine. If the meal contains contaminated ingredients, you get sick. The trick is to check the model number of the off-lease el-cheapo laptop before paying the $100 for it.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We let the Mac computers and connect to server and network, but tell them two things: if you do an update and can't connect properly after, you will pay for any consultant time, and the slowness of the connection to the server is your computer's fault, not the server's.

Microsoft has mostly driven me away from Powerpoint by gratuitously rearranging things each time they publish a new edition. We got "upgraded" to Office 365, and I just can't be bothered to re-learn everything again. I can't bring myself to go Mac, though - MacOS annoys me for different reasons (mostly because it knows what I want, and I know it's wrong), and I work with too many people who send around excel spreadsheets full of macros and VBA, and expect them to work, to be able to throw away MS Office completely, which rules out linux.

I'd probably prefer linux on a laptop, with a Windows instance in VirtualBox for those times when I actually need Windows, but I don't think the computer security folks will be happy with a Windows instance that doesn't exist most of the time. So maybe it'll be between Windows 10 and Mac for what causes me least pain next time around.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Powerpoint 1997 was one of the most elegantly intuitive programs I've ever seen.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilbuddha: [Killing me] [Overused]

I use a Mac for reasons too lengthy to explain. If you like paying a premium for a sleek elegant case and non-ironically funky icons that bounce up and down when their associated programmes want attention, then a Mac is great.

If you want to avoid counterintuitive design, aggressive commercial practices, DRM obstructiveness, being nagged about OS updates, or indeed physical flimsiness, then migrating to Apple is going to be a big disappointment ...

[ 02. November 2015, 09:15: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Apple is a pretentious bistro with one menu item: Tofu Steak. But this is OK, because we love tofu steak, everybody loves tofu steak, if they would but try it. Every day, every time, we love tofu steak. Tofu steak is the only thing we will ever eat. Until the menu is changed to tofu chicken because tofu chicken is the only thing we ever eat and ever wanted to.

Well, my iphone is here. I have never had anything Apple before and I absolutely love it. It is incredibly intuitive and I haven't had to look up or ask one question - it's so obvious how everything works and connects.

I'm very much looking forward to Santa bringing my ipad and Mac- Book now [Yipee]

I must be a Tofu steak girl!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cost is enough to keep me off anything Apple.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
The cost is enough to keep me off anything Apple.

The person who convinced me was my DIL. She got one 5 years ago and it is as fast and efficient as it was the day she bought it.

They cost a lot but last far longer. Every one of my Windows laptops has got slower and slower, clunkier and clunkier.

Anyway - I will let you know if it was worth it!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a lot of success speeding up old and even not so old computers and fixing glitches using the windows recovery facility. It is in the control panel under security and maintenance.

There are various levels of refreshing you can do and I usually start with the lightest and work my way through the others if that doesn't work.

It's also worth running malwarebytes or similar occasionally.

It might be worth trying this on your old windows laptop and keeping it in reserve when your Macbook is up and running.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is Hell, so I should just let this slide and then laugh like a bastard when someone wipes their machine, but do be aware that some of the 'recovery' tools are destructive, so check your backups first if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's the fun in that? [Devil]

You are right, anything you want to keep should be stored somewhere else, cloud, memory stick, before you start.

I carefully stored all my photos in a memory stick then sometime later for reasons I forget I decided to format the stick before I had put all the photos back into the computer. To be fair that was not the computer's fault. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

It might be worth trying this on your old windows laptop and keeping it in reserve when your Macbook is up and running.

Thanks Thyme, I will do that. We have an external hard drive and also cloud space to save precious files.

I will need to keep my laptop going as I have the latest Photoshop on it and don't want to buy it again for the Mac.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Things like Photoshop will have to be reinstalled after a recovery/refreshing process. So make sure you have all your product keys and so on.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

They cost a lot but last far longer. Every one of my Windows laptops has got slower and slower, clunkier and clunkier.

Mine don't.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:

Thanks Thyme, I will do that. We have an external hard drive and also cloud space to save precious files.

I will need to keep my laptop going as I have the latest Photoshop on it and don't want to buy it again for the Mac.

The latest Photoshop is cross-platform compatible, isn't it? I have Creative Cloud, so I can use it anywhere, but I certainly have used it on my work PC and my home Mac.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The program does not reside in the cloud, you still download a version for your operating system. The common bit they share is you still must sign over your soul to Adobe.
If you have the last stand-alone versions, you are allowed multiple installs, but I'm not sure if that includes multiple platforms.
Adobe deserves their own Hell thread.

[ 03. November 2015, 13:17: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Automatic Spying Cannot Be Stopped

quote:
...despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:....you cannot switch off everything

'Tis spyware this M$ Windbag 10. But then the Legion of Decency, corporations and gov't spy agencies also have their fingers up our asses.

[ 03. November 2015, 13:59: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Apple does it too. Android does it, everybody does. Except maybe Linux. For Linux, I think you need a third-party shell that only spies for some installs.

If you must hate, hate accurately.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am hating accurately. Linux doesn't spy unless you want it to, but then only to your repository sources which you specifically identify. You can use an "update manager" if you want, either as comes with default installs of things like Linux Mint, or you can install one yourself. Uninstall or turn off the utility, and you're done with it.

You can see exactly what repositories (software sources) that it is checking and add or subtract these at will. Though we've set up all the Linux computers to only update through manual which is explicit and only possible if I've given users the admin password.
code:
$ su 
$ apt-get update
$ apt-get upgrade

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! I knew there was somewhere round here I could rant about Windows 10! Or rather about the sneaky and dishonest behaviour of Microsoft in installing it on my machine when I didn't want it. I knew I hadn't actively agreed to it. We were planning to do it at some point before it stopped being free but being in the midst of preparations for an imminent international move we don't really have the time to learn a new operating system and fiddle around with whatever you need to do with Windows 10 to make it remotely private.

But my main complaint is about Microsoft.
According to here the way they have done this is by making it so that when you click the corner X to close the window that pops up to offer you the upgrade to Windows 10 it has been set to take that as explicit authorization to proceed! Outrageous to change the way something functions to trick people into something they didn't authorise.
And I've now wasted an hour and a half this morning waiting for the stupid thing to install rather than getting on with the things that I actually turned the computer on to do. [Mad]

Not impressed Microsoft. [Disappointed]

[ 17. May 2016, 10:31: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep clicking the x to close that pop up (and, each time wonder how many times I need to do it before someone takes the hint that I like Windows 8 and don't feel any need to "upgrade"). It hasn't seemed to take that as an authorisation to install it.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

According to that article, Alan, it depends entirely on whether or not your system is set to install "Recommended" updates.

Mine isn't, thank goodness, only "Important" ones. But how utterly disgusting.

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I keep clicking the x to close that pop up (and, each time wonder how many times I need to do it before someone takes the hint that I like Windows 8 and don't feel any need to "upgrade"). It hasn't seemed to take that as an authorisation to install it.

I have been doing likewise and it never installed it until today... It sounds like it might be a recent change, so be aware folks!

[ 17. May 2016, 11:08: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

OK, mine was set to install recommended updates. So, by rights it should have upgraded to Windows 10 automatically, but hasn't. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I've just changed it so it will download them, but let me choose whether to install them.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Windows 10 is like being forced to eat all of your vegetables and still getting a spanking.

That's a premium service, you realise?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The spanking? You'd be in great peril.

The constant badgering to install Windows 10 is almost certain temptation. Who will save us from this terrible peril?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:

I have been doing likewise and it never installed it until today... It sounds like it might be a recent change, so be aware folks!
It happened to my wife today. Read this.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Is it true that Microshaft is flogging adverts on your windows10 start menu? This link says they are going to increase in number. I had no idea you folks were getting ads before you even openned a web browser.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it true that Microshaft is flogging adverts on your windows10 start menu? This link says they are going to increase in number. I had no idea you folks were getting ads before you even openned a web browser.

Apps, not ads. (Yes, I know that's what some braindead subeditor titled it as). They are just tiles on the right hand side.

You don't need to look at the start menu at all most days - just put the commonly used app startup links on the taskbar (or the desktop if you must), just like any other OS. And if you are going to use the start menu, you will no doubt be looking for the less-used stuff on the LHS.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have multiple computers.

On one of them I have win7 and Win10 dual-booting as I manage my gentle switch over.

One of my PCs is a Media Center. As this feature has now been removed, I am definitely not updating that PC to win 10.

This might help

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Read this.

So, this change was "based on user feedback"? That would be all the users who have spent the last 10 months closing the pop-up because we like our current operating system and don't want to change? Or, maybe don't really like it but we know it runs everything we need to use, and aren't sure that Win10 will and don't want to risk losing access to vital software. The users who would much rather not see that pop up at all? Who are these users who a) haven't already upgraded and b) want to make it easier to upgrade?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm on Windows 7 and I'm now getting hassled by Microsoft every time I turn on my computer. By treading very carefully, I've managed to evade the "upgrade" - but it's getting harder and harder.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

You'd have thought someone in Microsoft would have realised that after 10 months of clicking "No" to the offer of a free upgrade that there's a very good chance that the upgrade is not wanted.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been mentioned before on this thread, but I've installed this gwx thing that stops Windows from nagging me.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't have to install anything - just switch the nag screen off (details everywhere). Anyway, it will go away entirely in a couple of months if Micro$oft follow up on their stated plans, as that's when the free upgrade period expires. You can of course pay for it thereafter.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who want to know, the Win 7 update to watch out for is KB3035583. Right click it and hide it. As I've just done.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I still have dreams of showing for work at Microsoft, and reassuring them it's a free service, and doing it until they get the analogy.

I find it staggering that anyone ever thought this would play out well in PR terms.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

And I've just installed the GWX control panel to (hopefully) make even the invites stop.

I've just seen one comment comparing Microsoft to a rapist, and while I wouldn't go that far yet, they're currently the big sweaty guy who's sat next to you at the bar and keeps buying you drinks regardless of whether you show any interest.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I sounds like you guys aren't done being forced to chug the sugarfree without taking a breath. Microsoft's Windows 10 upgrades are getting even more sneaky-pushy. If you've been deliberately ignoring those upgrade popups, watch out for a new twist they're taking.

quote:
Instead of simply giving you the option to install its latest operating system (or not), Microsoft now automatically schedules a date and time to update your PC to Windows 10.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

orfeo

# 13878

Looks like Microsoft is beginning to backpedal ever so slightly. After I sent the Australian office a cranky message via Facebook, they said they were very sorry about the automatic upgrade and sent me links to two pages: one about rollback (though it wasn't immediately clear whether this meant full rollback to a previous version of Windows), and one to this page which, in its latest revision, faintly acknowledges that maybe you simply don't WANT this upgrade at all.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016