homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Windows 10 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Windows 10
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I find it staggering that anyone ever thought this would play out well in PR terms.

Because of its dominance Microsoft doesn't have to think about PR. In a while everything will be Windows 10 and this episode largely forgotten about. Windows is a necessary evil.

Necessary because there is no alternative that you can just switch on your machine when you buy it and it is there and doing everything you might want and takes no effort to install and operate.

Evil because of this kind of thing.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now it's on the BBC News site, here.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today my office computer insisted on updating to Windows 10. It took a long time but seems to have been trouble free.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, the whole point has nothing to do with whether or not the change to Win10 is trouble free and simple. The question is whether it's wanted.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I find it staggering that anyone ever thought this would play out well in PR terms.

Because of its dominance Microsoft doesn't have to think about PR. In a while everything will be Windows 10 and this episode largely forgotten about. Windows is a necessary evil.

Necessary because there is no alternative that you can just switch on your machine when you buy it and it is there and doing everything you might want and takes no effort to install and operate.

Evil because of this kind of thing.

I think that's a fair summary.

I really like Win7, I do feel that it shows MS finally got it right. It's everything Windows should be.

My only beef with Win7 is that the Sync function (which I use a lot)* is not perfect and needs some prompting. For this reason I may upgrade to win10. But ONLY when I am ready (laptop currently dual-booted so I can play).

For so many things, non-Microsoft products are better. You'd never catch me using Internet Explorer by choice. Back in the day (Pre-2000) I used Lotus Word-Pro which was light-years better than Word. Mostly because it doesn't think it knows better than I do and it is WYSIWYG.

So, I tolerate Microsoft, coz hey what's the alternative? (I don't like Apple and couldn't use it at work anyway) and I have played with Open Source stuff but for most things I don't have the time to make it work.

And it's a problem that's not going away because MS know they don't have to fix stuff like this as there is no meaningful competition.

AFZ

*For the geeky-interested... I have a desktop and a laptop. All my data is stored on a network storage device so whichever computer I am using, everything I need is there. When I am away from home, it's still on the laptop because Win7 Ultimate has a Sync system that makes all the files I need available 'offline' Just like the cloud only mine and under my control. Great feature, not perfect in its execution - like most of Microsoft.

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now my colleague who lost 90 minutes because her computer was made to install Windows 10 (and the first thing she knew about that was when it just kicked in with no chance to save her work or tell it not to) can't do some of the things she could do under Windows 7 and she and I are wasting even more time trying to sort them out. A not particularly useful suggestion was to uninstall all the apps (Apps? They are bloody programs and changing the name does not make anything any better) and re-install. How long will that take?

I don't know why I am venting here - I ought to vent at Microsoft. Does anyone know of a contact there who will take any notice and/or try to do anything about it?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add up the time it takes to sort things out, plus the 90 minutes. Scale by the appropriate hourly rate for commercial contract work. Then the difficult bit, finding someone in Microsoft that you can bill.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A not particularly useful suggestion was to uninstall all the apps . . . and re-install. How long will that take?

Assuming you can locate the installation media and serial number/keys.

A trick I learned a long time ago was to copy all installation media to my hard drive (they're certainly big enough these days) and install from there. Also, create a text file with the SN/key in it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
A not particularly useful suggestion was to uninstall all the apps . . . and re-install. How long will that take?

Assuming you can locate the installation media and serial number/keys.

A trick I learned a long time ago was to copy all installation media to my hard drive (they're certainly big enough these days) and install from there. Also, create a text file with the SN/key in it.

Not that I've tried it myself - but W10 is supposed to use a different certification process. Once you have a valid install (whether by upgrade or original), you shouldn't need your key again. Doing a subsequent clean install will get an automatic re-certification from Microsoft.

(Not that you would need the key for an upgrade either of course).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so freaking pissed off about this whole process.

I have a lot of control (as a sysadmin) about updates that get installed internally, but I want people to be able to trust Windows Updates for their laptops and at home so they keep their machines patched and safe.

This really breaks the trust.

I have also had to do a lot of extra work at the office to block it.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend disabled the updater - BUT I now find that they can get me via a Hotmail accvount that i inherited from a person who started a group that i later took over.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure why this is a problem for people at work. A half decent IT team will ensure users are not in the administrators group and will manage updates through WSUS or SCCM. I've got 5000 PCs to manage and only one has been inadvertently upgraded, by a particularly inventive user who has a secondary account with admin privileges, which the vast majority of users do not.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, many people work in small businesses and don't have a tame IT team ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which, along with proper control over administrative privileges, argues for even the smallest of businesses having at least one, perhaps part-time, IT person on staff or at least on call.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I agree - but I'm sure it often doesn't happen.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

IT teams, however large or small, have to be paid for.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Windows 10 is like being forced to eat all of your vegetables and still getting a spanking.

Apple is a pretentious bistro with one menu item: Tofu Steak. But this is OK, because we love tofu steak, everybody loves tofu steak, if they would but try it. Every day, every time, we love tofu steak. Tofu steak is the only thing we will ever eat. Until the menu is changed to tofu chicken because tofu chicken is the only thing we ever eat and ever wanted to.
Oh, and the chef yells at us because he made a mistake, we admit that we are at fault for noticing that mistake. We are ever so naughty for mentioning it. (Sorry, sorry, sir! Feature, not mistake, feature!)

I am a newly converted Apple user. I wish I'd done it ten years ago! Tofu or no Tofu.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There doesn't seem to be a screen-saver feature on Windows10, unless I'm just too dim to know where it is. Children, way before you were born, when The Computer was new and shiny, and top soil was still being created by Almighty God, choosing a screen saver was fun and time consuming. My very favorite was Mowing Man: a fellow on his riding mower, tidying his quarter acre, with the grass rapidly growing where he has just mowed.

My next favorite was an amazing scene of a woods changing as the seasons changed. Leafing out in Spring, Full green leafy trees in Summer, Colors changing to red and yellow as the leaves fell to the forest floor, then snowfall in the winter. I loved it. Yes, those early days on the puter were just amazing. Now it's so serious and intense. Ah, for the good old days...

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
There doesn't seem to be a screen-saver feature on Windows10,

Apparently it's migrated to the "lock screen" controls.

Back in my innocent youth, before I understood that "blank, then turn off screen" was the One True Screensaver, I remember having some OpenGL pipes thing. I'd leave some program running and go out for a while, only to return to find that the program had made no progress because all the CPU was being devoted to computing the screensaver.

Oh, and you could now fry an egg on the computer's chassis.

PS. People who tell you that LCD screens don't show burn-in lie. It's not as bad as CRTs, but it happens. I can show you any number of LCD screens that have run 24/7 for a couple of years displaying the same control screen, and they show clear ghost images of window borders etc.

[ 26. May 2016, 16:40: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had some effin and jeffin at work because all the equipment works quite happily with the old system. A box came up about Windows 10 with a cross in it, clicked on the cross thinking that would dismiss it whereas in fact it activated the conversion to Windows 10 .

Dag-nabit,

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having seen a screen grab from that message, I think they must be employing people who learned their coding while working for hackers who put malware on computers.

I've used a small thing called Never 10 to disable the compulsory update - and I hope it's safe - heard about it on the BBC, and saw it in the Guardian yesterday. Both my win 7 and win 8.1 computers were set up to do the auto upgrade, apparently. The others are XP, so presumably immune.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
saying no to Windows 10 update easier, but it's not because Microshaft has seen the errors of its ways: "The news of the change in the Windows 10 update prompt wording comes days after Microsoft paid a disgruntled Windows 10 updater $10,000 rather than appeal the case in court."

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently they are planning a major push before the July 29th deadline.
It includes one last full screen nag.

They certainly don't know when to shut up.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Children, way before you were born, when The Computer was new and shiny, and top soil was still being created by Almighty God, choosing a screen saver was fun and time consuming. My very favorite was Mowing Man: a fellow on his riding mower, tidying his quarter acre, with the grass rapidly growing where he has just mowed.

My next favorite was an amazing scene of a woods changing as the seasons changed. Leafing out in Spring, Full green leafy trees in Summer, Colors changing to red and yellow as the leaves fell to the forest floor, then snowfall in the winter. I loved it. Yes, those early days on the puter were just amazing. Now it's so serious and intense. Ah, for the good old days...

And flying toasters! The whimsy of setting your flying toasters and how light or dark you wanted your toast!

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the Energizer bunny screensaver.
[Cool]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Win7 temporarily died a year ago and I haven't gotten around to fixing it, so I'm on an old vista, no nagging from windows! Got lucky I guess!

I've read about traps like closing the nag window by hitting the x means "yes upgrade me" even though nothing warns you of that abnormal meaning to hitting the x. (Ive run into that with a few ads, really annoying!)

My (rarely hired) computer geek suggested switching to linux. We discussed what software I use and he said there are real good linux versions of each (word processing, music writing, graphics etc). Worth looking into a carefully planned escape from the MS world.

Apple might tempt but it's so expensive!

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy no risk trial of Linux is to download an image of the operating system on to either a disk or USB. You boot from the USB (recommended over a disc) and run from that to play with it. When done, shut down, remove USB and restart with no changes to your computer. I would recommend Linux Mint 17 Mate or Cinnamon desktop. Free as in beer and nearly all programs free as in gin.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have successfully upgraded four computers lying around the house to Windows 10 and bought a new one with it installed.

A few minor glitches persist, but my biggest beef is that what used to be a "ding" notification has been replaced by a sound that is exactly like the opening chord of Don't dream it's over (Sixpence None the Richer version in particular).

So every time the computer makes that noise, I start whistling the rest.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus--

Don't know if this will apply, because I'm still using Vista. But does Win10 still have a Sounds section in the Control Panel? If so, you should be able to change the sound scheme there, or turn off all system sounds. Or even add in your own sound files. I've sometimes used TV theme songs for various system sounds. Currently, I have system sounds switched off.

YMMV, of course.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll doubtless get around to it eventually.

(I've configured my phone ringtone to the historic Microsoft Sound. It's quite fun watching geeks look up confusedly when it rings on a bus)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Micro$oft's Widows 10 anniversary update wrecks secondary partitions, confirming it's innate goodness: Link (Slashdot).

Windows error sound remix: Windows sound remix

[ 04. August 2016, 16:39: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's got my goat is that my beloved hotmail is now gone for ever and I have to use sodding outlook. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless I'm missing something the Windows 10 calculator is rubbish compared to the Windows 7 calculator.
Also, I cannot find Freecell. (This is not a request. If Windows 10 has Freecell, please do not tell me how to find it. I'm not saying my productivity has gone up, but my procrastination has got more complicated.)

[ 04. August 2016, 19:36: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The calculator seems to do all the stuff it did in Windows 7 & 8. But I can't remember how to get the different versions up.

FreeCell is part of the Microsoft Solitaire collection along with Spider, Pyramid, Tripeaks and Klondike. It is available for Windows phones too.

[ 04. August 2016, 20:41: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I'll doubtless get around to it eventually.

(I've configured my phone ringtone to the historic Microsoft Sound. It's quite fun watching geeks look up confusedly when it rings on a bus)

LOL. I like it when I hear a ringtone of an old rotary phone ringing. [Smile]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Unless I'm missing something the Windows 10 calculator is rubbish compared to the Windows 7 calculator.
Also, I cannot find Freecell. (This is not a request. If Windows 10 has Freecell, please do not tell me how to find it. I'm not saying my productivity has gone up, but my procrastination has got more complicated.)

You'll thank me one day.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
FreeCell is part of the Microsoft Solitaire collection along with Spider, Pyramid, Tripeaks and Klondike. It is available for Windows phones too.

But not Windows 8.
[Frown]

(I did get it installed, but I like the older version better.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:

You'll thank me one day.
I hate you.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I hate you.

And so they fall, one at a time...

[ 05. August 2016, 08:11: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd got that confined safely on my smartphone.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with 2048 is that it's too easy. I generally have to go for the 4096 tile just to make it a challenge.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Oh, go away.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
You'll thank me one day.

Did the Discworld version and the Doctor Who version.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bloody auto updates of Windows 10. This is not - or at least you didn't tell me this would be - a big update so why an hour later am I still waiting for my computer to turn on and finish installing updates.

And yes I know if I set the connection as metered it will stop the updates until I chose but it's annoying, prevents other updates I want to happen from happening, has to be done on every network I use and generally feels like a shitty work round for something MS shouldn't have implemented in the first place.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016