homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Christmas, enough already (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas, enough already
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Christmas in Hell to you! [Devil]

Henrietta and Merna Can't Sing - Go Tell It On The Mountain (youtube)

If this rendition won't get you out the Christmas spirit, you're too drunk to be using a computer.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's incredible what people will post on YouTube.

May I suggest this as an antidote.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would someone please post a link to that truly awful rendition of 'O Holy Night'. I haven't heard it in years.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one, though there seem to be several pretty awful renditions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4woNRD7NQ&nohtml5=False

[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Would someone please post a link to that truly awful rendition of 'O Holy Night'. I haven't heard it in years.

You're going to have to be more specific.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who are drowning in gin or a river this Christmas, don't you wish you lived in the 1770s?

Emergency tobacco smoke enema. (I am not making this up, it was the CPR of the 18th century).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

A lady in the G&S society I was part of used to murder this every year in our Christmas concerts. I don't know if she was any good when she was younger, but in her later years when I heard her she had a vibrato of about a fourth. The similarity to someone playing the saw was notable.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

A lady in the G&S society I was part of used to murder this every year in our Christmas concerts. I don't know if she was any good when she was younger, but in her later years when I heard her she had a vibrato of about a fourth. The similarity to someone playing the saw was notable.
That's not a vibrato. That's a warble. We get quite a bit round here, where the local accent is a mixture of a buzzsaw and a Herring Gull.

Mind you, I've been roped in to do "O Holy Night". The redeeming factor is that it's a three-part arrangement with no soloists!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I've always found Eccles Cakes infinitely superior to mince pies. When it comes to pumpkin, the only way my family uses them in Australia is to make yummy pumpkin soup(a winter warming staple) and as chunks roasted around the turkey or leg of lamb. I've made pumpkin scones but I'm not a very good scone maker. However my mother in law made excellent ones. Happy Christmas everybody. [Angel]

I agree about the eccles cakes, but I have to make my own in Oz. I have converted the mince pie recipe so it is just a teaspoon of mince in a puff pastry case. That is light enough for the sub-tropics.

But I am watching to avoid the Christmas concerts where some pop singer screams out "Silent Night" adding in twiddles to show how great they.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can probably cope with an occasional Eccles cake better than a ton-and-a-half of mince pies - perhaps because they're less regular and copious than mince pies, and the pastry's nicer. (Or at least people who make Eccles cakes make better pastry than most people who make mince pies - it's more crispy, palatable, nice!)

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
quote:

That's not a vibrato. That's a warble.
I was being kind. The worst part was the old biddies we used to sing for seemed to love her. More than they did my rendition of Tom Lehrer's Christmas Carol, anyway.

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mr Kipling mince pie deserves a hell thread to itself. The only reward for chewing your way through one of these sickly items will be a gigantic sugar crash 30 mins later.

I was playing at a charity carol concert on Sunday, and afterwards got chatting to a very refined lady who was on some committee or other. Cue a young volunteer with a plate of said sweetmeats. "Would you like to treat yourselves to a mince pie?" she trilled.

"God no, they're fucking horrible" responded the refined lady in her cut-glass RP accent.

I gazed at her with undisguised admiration as the young volunteer scuttled away.

[ 08. December 2016, 08:52: Message edited by: Rocinante ]

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rocinante:
The Mr Kipling mince pie deserves a hell thread to itself. The only reward for chewing your way through one of these sickly items will be a gigantic sugar crash 30 mins later.

I was playing at a charity carol concert on Sunday, and afterwards got chatting to a very refined lady who was on some committee or other. Cue a young volunteer with a plate of said sweetmeats. "Would you like to treat yourselves to a mince pie?" she trilled.

"God no, they're fucking horrible" responded the refined lady in her cut-glass RP accent.

I gazed at her with undisguised admiration as the young volunteer scuttled away.

I've always dreamed of saying this, though last time I said fuck everything seemed to fall silent within miles.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why restrict yourself to Mr K's mince pies? ALL of the offerings from that direction are dreadful.

If the Advertising Standards Authority had any teeth (pun intended) they'd do them for misleading advertising for the well-known (and entirely inaccurate) slogan ...makes exceedingly good cakes

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Why restrict yourself to Mr K's mince pies? ALL of the offerings from that direction are dreadful.

If the Advertising Standards Authority had any teeth (pun intended) they'd do them for misleading advertising for the well-known (and entirely inaccurate) slogan ...makes exceedingly good cakes

Yes. "Does make at best exceedingly mediocre, and often bloody horrible, cakes" would be more accurate.

--------------------

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think their mince pies are the nadir of that benighted brand. The pastry is mainly sugar, with a nasty aftertaste of cheap fat of dubious origin. The filling has a revolting gelatinous consistency, reminiscent of cat food. I've never actually tasted cat food, but I suspect it may be better to eat.

[ 08. December 2016, 12:57: Message edited by: Rocinante ]

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, there are very few manufactured confections and cakes that don't simply have the overwhelming flavour of 'sweet'.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with that. I am a diabetic and some of the sugar substitutes that supposedly make an item "diabetic friendly" are absolutely foul, foul,foul. [Projectile]
[Projectile]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eating shit tasting bought mince pies this time of year makes me enjoy my partner's home made ones on Christmas Eve all the more.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Eating shit tasting bought mince pies this time of year makes me enjoy my partner's home made ones on Christmas Eve all the more.

Mine's a Christmas junkie. It begins in September. Peaks with three different, gargantuan dinners. And peters out with post-Christmas depression.

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Our crammed Christmas goodies cupboard is being regularly raided in the evenings since a week ago, '.....kin mad.

With all due respect to Christmas crazy other halves here, and across the land of course.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't bother making mince pies. Instead we have little filo pastry parcels with gooseberries and dates in lemon curd - delicious.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm....tasty. But - given that we are currently in Hell - why not add a dash of very hot chili to the mix?

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite O Holy Night from South Park.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Our crammed Christmas goodies cupboard is being regularly raided in the evenings since a week ago, '.....kin mad.

Just rescued the missus from stuffed-by-tin-of-Heroes syndrome.
Can't see that tin full lasting til anywhere near Christmas Day [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm rolling round the floor laughing at the O Holy Night renditions. I don't know which is funnier. I'm taking them to my choir practice this afternoon to share - we probably won't get much practice done after we stop laughing.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
My favorite O Holy Night from South Park.

No, no, this one is the best! It has a cattle prod! How could it get any better?

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What fresh Hell is this? We drove past the local Lutheran church, which has a large new sign out front: "Live Puppy Nativity" and some dates. Is this like Puppy Halftime Football?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

What fresh Hell is this? We drove past the local Lutheran church, which has a large new sign out front: "Live Puppy Nativity" and some dates. Is this like Puppy Halftime Football?

Too funny. Which breed is best suited to be the baby Jesus?

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Live Puppy Nativity
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ye gods, this =is= the church. Apologies, Lutherans -- it was the Methodists after all.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Son of Dog, have mercy on us...

...and therein lies a tail...

I'll get me blanket.

IJ

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
quote:

Too funny. Which breed is best suited to be the baby Jesus?

sabine

Shepherd or sheep dogs, of course! Shaggy and friendly ones preferred.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a considerable trend in the US for 'living nativity' scenes, which mean hiring the ox, ass, a camel or two, and so on. There was a piece in the paper the other day about a guy at one of these things who was bitten by the camel.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is a considerable trend in the US for 'living nativity' scenes, which mean hiring the ox, ass, a camel or two, and so on. There was a piece in the paper the other day about a guy at one of these things who was bitten by the camel.

A number of years ago a couple of the goats got a little "overly friendly" during ours.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

A shaggy (sic) goat story?

Ahem.

Meanwhile, in other news...

Coming away from The Bus Stop this morning, I noticed that a neighbouring house had decorations in its front window, to wit, two silver/white reindeer, some white lights, and a sign saying 'Winter Welcome'. A new one on me, and I wondered if it was offering a welcome to the season of winter, IYSWIM, or a warm welcome inside the house (as opposed to the cold outside).

IJ

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:

Added to well known fact that animals in those situations usually can't help but do a dump.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I don't bother making mince pies. Instead we have little filo pastry parcels with gooseberries and dates in lemon curd - delicious.

Ooooh.... could you post or PM the recipe for me? Sounds delicious!
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

OK:

2 Bramley apples: peeled, cored and stewed with 2 handsful of topped & tailed gooseberries and 1 handful chopped dated.

Take 4 sheets of filo pastry, brush melted butter between each then cut into 3inch squares.

Place spoonful apple mix into centre of square, topped with a little lemon curd. Draw edges of 'parcel' together. CHILL

When required, heat oven to 200C and bake parcels for c10 minutes.

HELLFIRE PARCELS:
Chop 2 red chillies very fine with handful of parsley. Mix with handful of chopped pine nuts and then fold into cream cheese.

Make parcels as above.

Bon appetit

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So let's head this one off at the pass.

There is a perfectly decent recipe thread in Heaven. Use it.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local "live," nativity scene has two sheep and a donkey, and of course a tall fence to keep the animals in. This year, for some reason, they've added cardboard cut outs of the human characters, standing facing front, just inside the fence. It looks, for all the world like the whole gang is in some sort of internment camp. I blame Donald Trump.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We'll be having the children's Christmas pageant next Sunday. You should come—it's very cute, and they've been working on it for weeks! One of our parishioners wrote the script a few years ago and we've loved it ever since."

Oh darn. Finals, you know. So sad. So, so, very sad.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Which is everything ain't it? I really dislike quite a number of Christmas songs: Jingle Bell Rock, Feliz Navidad, and the entire Boney M Christmas album.

Well, I can tolerate those, but if I hear Santa Baby, I turn the radio to a different station quickly. How is that not the absolutely most horrid of "Christmas" songs, no matter who sings it?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Which is everything ain't it? I really dislike quite a number of Christmas songs: Jingle Bell Rock, Feliz Navidad, and the entire Boney M Christmas album.

Well, I can tolerate those, but if I hear Santa Baby, I turn the radio to a different station quickly. How is that not the absolutely most horrid of "Christmas" songs, no matter who sings it?
My son would agree with you, the one Christmas song that has him covering his ears and yelling 'No, stop, stop!' is that one!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, me too. I hate it. I have to let my eyes drift over the words in case the ear-worm catches me.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
None of that soppy sentimental stuff for the Victorians. Their taste in Christmas cards was not for the children. Or me.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings from Krampus indeed!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW and Lyda Rose, I completely feel your (ear) pain. A few years ago I was waiting and waiting for my wife to finish grocery shopping or we were waiting for a taxi...at any rate, we were stuck inside a Kroger grocery store and some awful R&B singer was murdering the hell out of a Christmas hymn. I wanted to scream, rip my hair out, rip the sound system out of the store...just to not have to hear that singer drawing out some long notes...it was dreadful. This is also why I don't like a lot of popular gospel music. The singers are supposed to be praising God, not themselves. Ugh!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With all the forced cheer and merchandise being shoved in our faces every minute, I found myself singing a little ditty under my breath the other day. It won't win any awards for lyrical content but it did make me feel better: "F*ck Christmas, f*ck Christmas, f*ck you and your holiday cheer!" I added some more 'R' rated words to that but I'll not burden you all with them at this time.

Normally, I love the lawn decorations and lights, the hymns, the true giving of the season. I am definitely not a Scrooge.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
With all the forced cheer and merchandise being shoved in our faces every minute, I found myself singing a little ditty under my breath the other day. It won't win any awards for lyrical content but it did make me feel better: "F*ck Christmas, f*ck Christmas, f*ck you and your holiday cheer!" I added some more 'R' rated words to that but I'll not burden you all with them at this time.

I saw Eric Idle and John Cleese a few weeks ago. The show ended with them singing "F*ck Christmas!"

[ 14. December 2016, 02:07: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016