homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Martinsplaining (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martinsplaining
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Martin, dear martin, while I have taken any number shits I've liked better than you, occasionally one of your turdic posts actually floats. You're like Don Quixote mated with Ted Nugent.

That's nice to no..., I've always stuck up for you too, as others have said that you're not fit to eat with pigs, but I said you were.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most merciful God in Lamb Chopped, Eutychus, all here, I confess that I have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what I have done, and by what I have left undone. I have not loved you with my whole heart; I have not loved you in my neighbors as myself. I am truly sorry and I humbly repent. For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on me and forgive me; that I may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.

Almighty God in my Shipmates have mercy on me, forgive me all my sins through our Lord Jesus Christ, strengthen me in all goodness, and by the power of the Holy Spirit keep me in eternal life. Amen.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And using that prayer in that way just sounds like another bit of taking the piss. It definitely does not sound sincere.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take orthopraxy over orthodoxy any day of the week.

Go, Martin, and sin no more.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
And using that prayer in that way just sounds like another bit of taking the piss. It definitely does not sound sincere.

That's the problem with having form.

I'm prepared to take it at face value, but Martin, bear in mind that trust is something that needs constant building and maintenance.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll throw in my offer to edit Martinposts.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The Americanism is unforgivable however.

--------------------
Love wins

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to post in support of Martin, but the tone of that prayer ... Oh dear, it does come across as a personal attack, doesn't it?

A Hell call for posting unclearly on a thread where the OP was unclear, I could not tell what was comment and what quote: That was an odd call, Euty.

In my more aspy moments I can be unclear too, I often read back thinking, "why did I post that," which is why i defend people posting in different ways.

But I withdraw my support for Martin, who seems to have forgotten that to be passive aggressive there needs to be a passive part.

Martin, people were, in my opinion, attacking you without cause. The prayer post supplies a cause. Anything they say about you from here on is deserved. I know you are intelligent, so why post like a cockwomble?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Yeah, well, then, offer withdrawn, asshole. I'll stake my Americanisms over your incoherence any day.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Over Martinisms?

Ashes and sackcloth for you, and maybe a barbeque.
"St. Martin's feast day falls in November, when geese are ready for killing".

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

A Hell call for posting unclearly on a thread where the OP was unclear, I could not tell what was comment and what quote: That was an odd call, Euty.

It was a lot more than that. Dismissing loads of people as "having to believe" in "fairy stories" was a real poke in the eye.

Yeah we'll get over it. Again. But it's not kind.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

balaam - I'm sorry you see it that way. I was attacking no one, but if that's what you perceive I don't know what I can do to change that perception.

Ohher - Ma'am, you SHOULD use American spelling, I should not. I apologize for appearing to be anti-American, which in regard to spelling and pronunciation - Texan 'bidness', I am not. In fact I believe American spelling to be a logical evolution of English and paradoxically I believe it is more true to the English of late C18th Boston? I'm a strong believer in usage is correct, my preference is for Oxford spelling.

no... indeed, the goose is getting fat.

Erroneous Monk. You're right. Purgatory is no excuse for unkindness. Nothing is. I'll try and say nothing in future rather than be what I fundamentally am at core vacuum. Unkind.

--------------------
Love wins

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I'll take orthopraxy over orthodoxy any day of the week.

Go, Martin, and sin no more.

Me, I like
Orthopoxy:
the continued adherence to irritating people.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:

Ohher - Ma'am, you SHOULD use American spelling, I should not. I apologize for appearing to be anti-American, which in regard to spelling and pronunciation - Texan 'bidness', I am not. In fact I believe American spelling to be a logical evolution of English and paradoxically I believe it is more true to the English of late C18th Boston? I'm a strong believer in usage is correct, my preference is for Oxford spelling.

Spelling has almost nothing to do with the incoherence in your posts (or even in mine). I am also quite capable of adopting British spelling where called for (i.e., writing for an audience consisting solely of users of British English -- a situation unlikely ever to arise aboard Ship).

First, the Texan "bidness" you refer to is a pronunciation issue, not a spelling one. Assuming the Texan in question received at least a primary school education, that word would be spelled "business," which is acceptable in British, American, and even Texan usage.

Second, the primary task of the writer -- that is, someone who writes -- is communication. Does the arrangement of pixels on screens located on several continents and read by people using a wide assortment of first languages convey meaning? If so, congratulations. If not, try again.

Is that pixel arrangement "correct" according to standards of spelling, usage, and punctuation which may, in some cases, be somewhat localised or localized (take your pick) rather than universal among users of the language in in question? That depends on whether the usage conveys meaning or trips the reader up to the extent that s/he cannot follow the thought being expressed. I submit that spelling is rarely the culprit when the latter happens.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I was going to post in support of Martin, but the tone of that prayer ... Oh dear, it does come across as a personal attack, doesn't it?

Hmm. I read it entirely at face value. Strange how perceptions can vary.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
quote:

Spelling has almost nothing to do with the incoherence in your posts (or even in mine). I am also quite capable of adopting British spelling where called for (i.e., writing for an audience consisting solely of users of British English -- a situation unlikely ever to arise aboard Ship).

First, the Texan "bidness" you refer to is a pronunciation issue, not a spelling one. Assuming the Texan in question received at least a primary school education, that word would be spelled "business," which is acceptable in British, American, and even Texan usage.

Second, the primary task of the writer -- that is, someone who writes -- is communication. Does the arrangement of pixels on screens located on several continents and read by people using a wide assortment of first languages convey meaning? If so, congratulations. If not, try again.

Is that pixel arrangement "correct" according to standards of spelling, usage, and punctuation which may, in some cases, be somewhat localised or localized (take your pick) rather than universal among users of the language in in question? That depends on whether the usage conveys meaning or trips the reader up to the extent that s/he cannot follow the thought being expressed. I submit that spelling is rarely the culprit when the latter happens.

Thank you, sorry for causing the perception of the elision of spelling and pronunciation. Business is business of course in writing. It's a fact, as I understand it, that the pronunciation 'bidness' is de rigueur, therefore is a correct usage, for Texans.

--------------------
Love wins

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:
It's a fact, as I understand it, that the pronunciation 'bidness' is de rigueur, therefore is a correct usage, for Texans.

Not being Texan, I can't, with any authority, say, but I doubt this. Both usage and pronunciation vary with social class or discourse community among Americans, as they apparently also do among the British. I suspect that "bidness" prevails in certain Texan discourse communities, while "bizness" is the preferred pronunciation among other Texan discourse communities.

On this side of the pond -- as, I suspect, on yours -- usage or pronunciation becomes "correct" when it's routinely employed by a majority of educated users of the language.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a fact, as I understand it, that the pronunciation 'bidness' is de rigueur, therefore is a correct usage, for Texans.

It’s not standard Texan pronunciation. It’s a pronunciation sometimes encountered in African American dialect or slang. As a slang term, it can refer to a less-than-above board commercial operation, like selling Rolex watches on the sidewalk. Or it’s used in a phrase like “he got all up in my bidness,” which can mean either he was being nosy or “we were face-to-face and he was yelling at me.”

/Tanget over, back to your regularly scheduled Hell call.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

It’s not standard Texan pronunciation. It’s a pronunciation sometimes encountered in African American dialect or slang.
My my. Our something or another is showing.

Bidness is a common pronunciation in all white country club bars in Macon Georgia and surrounds. So is PeeCan.

Martin, just remember to be kind when you are getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed combatant.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope this helps y'all. Tear off and take one as needed:

In my experience,

In my experience,

In my experience,

In my experience,

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

It’s not standard Texan pronunciation. It’s a pronunciation sometimes encountered in African American dialect or slang.
My my. Our something or another is showing.
Nothing’s showing other than your assumptions. I only speak, as mousethief rightly points out, from my experience, as well as my interest in dialects and my doing some research on the use of “bidness” in American dialect generally, which pointed to its use in African American dialect and slang specifically.

I'll take your word for that it’s a common pronunciation in all-white country clubs in Macon. (No surprise that "pee-can” is.) It’s not at all common a few states north of Macon—in my experience—nor have I encountered it being used by many actual Texans, as opposed to movie/TV Texans.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that this thread might smack of bullying for a while, or at least stacks on the mill primary school style (great fun unless you were on the bottom), but it's possibly not that bad. After all, if I got this much attention I would be alternating between sugar-high and fetal-position anxiety, both enjoyable in their own way.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to envision what bullying Martin would entail. How would we even know?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go folks, in The Styx, Martin60's latest heroic attempt at suicide by admin.

"Apparently I'm 20% narcissistic with a higher than average degree of exhibitionism, a degree of self-sufficiency and 'authority'.

Surprisingly I have minimal superiority, entitlement, exploitativeness and vanity.

Go figure."

He could have fooled me.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me say this (not for the first time):

What amazes me more than Martin's obfuscation is his sudden, dramatic, absolutely unambiguous crystal clarity whenever he seeks to defend his behaviour in the Styx; all his avuncularity, his ambiguity, his mysticism falls away like a cloak.

I keep talking myself into thinking he can't help his enigmaticness and then he goes and posts one of these ultra-clear Styx posts and reminds me that he can do so easily - when he senses his own best interests are at stake.

I can see no other explanation for this than excessive self-centredness.

He can be perfectly clear, but most of the time he can't be bothered, or obfuscates for the lulz at the expense of the community.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Here you go folks, in The Styx, Martin60's latest heroic attempt at suicide by admin.

"Apparently I'm 20% narcissistic with a higher than average degree of exhibitionism, a degree of self-sufficiency and 'authority'.

Surprisingly I have minimal superiority, entitlement, exploitativeness and vanity.

Go figure."

He could have fooled me.

I actually thought that was pretty funny if he was being wry. (Which I took it to be.)

I do wonder whether he is aware that narcissism is a major stumbling block to his sig though.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted in Styx that it's what he does, not his inner life, which is of any interest. Strong drink, lack of or too many pills or smoking things, idiot savantedness, bopped his gourd, humuncular masturabtory circle jerk in the cortex,... none of it important.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I posted in Styx that it's what he does, not his inner life, which is of any interest. Strong drink, lack of or too many pills or smoking things, idiot savantedness, bopped his gourd, humuncular masturabtory circle jerk in the cortex,... none of it important.

I disagree. Generally speaking, sometimes knowing the intent behind a post does help us interpret one another's post differently.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
quote:

I disagree. Generally speaking, sometimes knowing the intent behind a post does help us interpret one another's post differently.
I'm not including Martin in this. I generally agree with you. Just not for him.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If the underlying intent is manipulation, the post is not worth reading.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW:

A couple months back, he made a wicked pun about
"Spongiform theolopathy".

It's in Purg. I thought it was funny, anyway.

[ 07. December 2017, 03:46: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The fact that Martin can be funny is no justification for him failing to respect the community.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but it is a point in his favor, so I thought I'd toss it into the mix.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

It's not a point in his favour if it's part and parcel of manipulative behaviour.

Do you actually know any people in real life who think that wit acts as some sort of get out of jail free card? They are not nice people to hang out with.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I don’t seem to be able to stop myself from getting annoyed by this. Maybe it will help to sound off.

Eutychus, would you mind stating exactly what you wish to achieve by your crusade here? It looks to me like you’re trying to manipulate Martin60 and/or the PtB to have him leave/removed from the Ship, which makes your complaints about his manipulativeness achingly hypocritical.

So, what about it? What do you want to happen? And before you rebound with some lie about only wishing he would moderate his behaviour, please try to be as honest as if your God is actually real and watching you.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Your "question" is what's (blatantly) manipulative here.

I'm trying to get him to moderate his behaviour, because I think it's detrimental to the community. If you choose to pre-judge that as a lie, there's really not much point trying to have a conversation with you.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh right. You’re trying to get Martin60 to moderate his behaviour despite your stated exasperation about his perpetual failure to do so. But the diplomacy here must be very tricky for you, mustn’t it Eutychus, because you’re perfectly aware of the extreme slenderness of the thread by which he hangs on here, the conditions of which depend very much on the extent to which he disrupts the boards by pissing off Shipmates and Hosts, and which extremely slender thread you persist to hack at by flagging his behaviour by complaining about how you think it’s ‘detrimental to the community’ and so on.

I see your ugly disingenuousness, and (or so I would presume you believe) so does your God.

Perhaps your time would be better spent on behalf of the community by praying for better tolerance? At the very least, you could stop your ‘I’m not, YOU are’ every time I call you out. It’s pathetic and shrill.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

How is asking a "question" and then telling me that if I give one of the answers offered, it must be a lie on my part, anything other than manipulative?

I'm as entitled as the next person to take my frustrations to Hell. That's what it's for. And if Martin repeat offends, and someone else draws attention to it, I see no reason not to lend my support.

If the Ship were to become full of people with everybody else on "ignore", there wouldn't be much going on.

[ 07. December 2017, 09:54: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it the right time to point out, Yorick, that you're only still here because of (a) H&A's forbearance and (b) your willingness to moderate your own errant behaviour?

Apparently it is. The rules - basic, goddamn rules - apply to everyone.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Go figure."

He could have fooled me.

I actually thought that was pretty funny if he was being wry. (Which I took it to be.)

I do wonder whether he is aware that narcissism is a major stumbling block to his sig though.

Martin60 has been here for over 15 years and while he has been funny and profound at times he has been obscure and self-indulgent far more often.

He problem isn't narcissism, just an inability to follow simple instructions that 99.9% of shipmates find no problem. Maybe he takes delight in sailing as close to the wind as possible, but any sailor can tell you the perils of that.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He problem isn't narcissism, just an inability to follow simple instructions that 99.9% of shipmates find no problem.

It's not an inability, it's an unwillingness. When push comes to shove, he does obey instructions
quote:
Maybe he takes delight in sailing as close to the wind as possible, but any sailor can tell you the perils of that.
ISTM he takes delight in irritating the hell out of people.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Is it the right time to point out, Yorick, that you're only still here because of (a) H&A's forbearance and (b) your willingness to moderate your own errant behaviour?

Apparently it is. The rules - basic, goddamn rules - apply to everyone.

Well quite. As I intimated earlier on this thread, I should know. I am not generally liked onboard, and indeed I am surely one of the most highly scrolled-past of all posters. And yet I feel hugely privileged to be allowed to continue as a member here despite some egregious behaviour that quite frankly makes Martin60 look distinctly snowy.

So, I happen to identify with the tedious old fucker, and furthermore I honestly believe that the wonderfully humane inclusiveness of the place is diminished each time anyone is planked or walks away, notwithstanding the ballache their presence may be. Gordon Chengs and SquigglyAndrews as much as Sines and Gorts.

I am therefore probably oversensitive when I sense people are trying to send others to Coventry, and IF Eutychus is honest about having no agenda to encourage Martin60’s departure, then I offer him my sincerest apology. If NOT, he can fuck off and die in a fire (as long as he remains here on board as an active participant, obvz.)

Love, etc.

[ 07. December 2017, 11:14: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Yorick, if you want to understand just what the latest furor is about, read this thread. You will probably want to skip quite a lot.

I value the diversity of the ship, but I have no tolerance for people who insult and patronize those who disagree with them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

[x-post with Moo]

I have no agenda to get rid of Martin. As posted on this thread earlier, I love him dearly and would be sorry to lose him.

That said, and as also discussed previously on this thread, in my view inclusivity does not mean a blank cheque to accommodate persistent behaviour that abuses the group, or a prohibition on calling out such behaviour.

I've got time for anyone with wildly differing views to mine if there's effort on both sides to engage meaningfully and respect the context, and that includes Martin, witness me interacting with him here - this morning.

[ 07. December 2017, 11:22: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]
He problem isn't narcissism, just an inability to follow simple instructions that 99.9% of shipmates find no problem. Maybe he takes delight in sailing as close to the wind as possible, but any sailor can tell you the perils of that.

This absolutely hits the Martin60 nail on the head.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I am not generally liked onboard, and indeed I am surely one of the most highly scrolled-past of all posters.

Perhaps; I am not a good judge of what other people like. However, I do tend to pause on my scrolls through boards to read your posts in particular. Partially because of ongoing curiosity to see what narrow facet of reality you are intersecting with at the moment, but mostly because of the profound genuineness of your participation.

Martin's posts have aligned but inverse selective reading from me. He has the same tenuous connection with shared reality, but his posts are drenched with guile and affect. I read many of his posts - all because some Host or another has exclaimed WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT on the dedicated Crew boards and I am forced to attempt to translate his latest bullshit.

quote:
IF Eutychus is honest about having no agenda to encourage Martin60’s departure, then I offer him my sincerest apology.
It strains my oath to maintain confidentiality, but it should be said that Eutychus is a paragon of thoughtful deliberation and considered reflection regarding all such conversations. I have grown to respect his honesty; if he says he has no agenda then I believe him.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Me too.

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Yorick, if you want to understand just what the latest furor is about, read this thread. You will probably want to skip quite a lot.

Hard to see that Yorick wants to understand anything. Just to come and call names and smear calumny, then act the beaten dog when someone calls him on it. Get over it, Yorick. You are capable of being a worthwhile contributor. You are certainly not showing it here.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016