homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Life downunder (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life downunder
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is where I think, it is beautiful indeed. But an airport for quick escapes.

[ 13. January 2018, 18:51: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1000 km in NZ? You'll fall off the edge! :-)

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
1000 km in NZ? You'll fall off the edge! :-)

[Killing me]

It's quite long up and down the way though, isn't it?

The opposite sort of thing happened to us - we moved 1000 miles or so from St. John's in Newfoundland to Fredericton, and the distance barely registered - we're still in Atlantic Canada. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like out of the wilderness into the rather remote, Zappa. Incidentally, I think being rather remote from the central politics of the Anglican Church is actually the safest place to be...I got very close to the middle of it all for a while there and it was appalling. [Projectile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My internet connection died suddenly last night and I was left with nothing on iPad and computer and 4G on iPhone. After pokijng round in settings for a while I remembered debit card expiry date and security number changed recently. With some difficulty reading phone, I checked bank balance and saw that deduction was always made on same date each month and one had not happened. Poked a bit further and updated things.

However, it was still out this morning so reluctantly I rang IP. A native english speaker! With hearing aids I find accents of call centre workers next to impossible for me to decipher. As I explained my problem, an update went through and I am back online. Firstworld problem perhaps, but still a problem.

However it alerted me to continue through bank statement. I found another six places which needed updates. Now all done. I wonder why some sites send reminders for updates and others say nothing. My details had been valid for a long time, six years. Now new date is in 2022.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad it's all sorted, Loth.

I once had a business that continued to take payments after card expiry...then one day they decided they would stop. Not sure why.

2 weeks and 1 day until I am on holidays. The laziness has begun. First sign: checking the Ship at work!

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In an effort to promote trans-tasman links, the Marama and I will be in wellington for a professional conference 21-23 Feb, and plan to stay on for a couple of weeks holiday. Is a shipmeet a social possibility?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tukai, are you venturing south to the more scenic, less populated Island? I remember meeting The Marama some years ago here in Christchurch, I think it was before you moved away from Australia for a while.

Christchurch looks a bit different from what it did then [Tear] [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Huia, Moo, PeteC and others would know, having hearing aids working properly makes a big difference to life.

My audiologist closed down for a couple of weeks over Christmas. Of course, the tube in one broke then. Not a problem generally, I usually fix things, but a small flange for fitting tubes tobether snapped off completely.

Sons were horrified at my hearing, or lack thereof, at Boxing Day function. Two tried for a while withoout success.

I went to audiologist yesterday to have it fixed and to have check. While loss is still classed as severe, the levels of hearing are almost identical to two years ago. Aids were cleaned, tubes replaced in both and some tweaks were made to their setting.

Today is first day for both working for some time. I realise now what a difference the second aid makes. However, I could do without the gardener chainsawing and using leaf blower outside.

Check for eyes scheduled for next week.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the best thing abut hearing aids is the off switch [Biased]

Glad it was a simple repair - the first time I cracked a tube I thought I gone deafer. Pity there's not a simple fix for the hard of thinking as well as the hard of hearing [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
In an effort to promote trans-tasman links, the Marama and I will be in wellington for a professional conference 21-23 Feb, and plan to stay on for a couple of weeks holiday. Is a shipmeet a social possibility?

I was at a Wellington shipmeet years ago but apart from occasional appearances from Arabella Purity Winterbottom I don't think any of those i met are active shippies now. There was ARP, and the photo-ey dude, and whatsername ...

Oh well ... same with most who I met in my later Gamilton meet and a couple of Auckland meets ...

We kiwis are are bit scattered I fear ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Huia

A very elderly lady, some sort of distant connection rather than a relation, used say that if there were a loud party nearby she'd just take the aids out until morning, then sleep well. She was very much une grande dame, in the best possible sense of that term, and a dozen or more years after death, I still miss her greatly.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

I was at a Wellington shipmeet years ago but apart from occasional appearances from Arabella Purity Winterbottom I don't think any of those i met are active shippies now. There was ARP, and the photo-ey dude, and whatsername ...

Dee, who held your socks to ransom. I've forgotten the photo dude's name ( I think he changed it at some stage), but he sent me some lovely photos of Kapiti Island - wasn't he in The Lord of the Rings too?

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, he was an extra. Dee was at the Hamilton (not "Gamilton", but I was posting via a phone [Hot and Hormonal] ) meet ... with the Furry Franciscan and Liturgia Appasionata or somesuch) ... I have regular FB and phone contact with Dee. Only Black Knight (who I saw at a recent unnamed "meet" in Perth) was at my second meet in AKL (I am in regular FB contact with him) though I also met Cattyish (who I see hasn't posted since July, though again, regular FB contact) ...

meets were fun and I kinda miss them ... as it happens I may be passing through Wellington on the dates Tukua mentions en route from Scarily Close to Bloody Far Below ...

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Huia

A very elderly lady, some sort of distant connection rather than a relation, used say that if there were a loud party nearby she'd just take the aids out until morning, then sleep well. She was very much une grande dame, in the best possible sense of that term, and a dozen or more years after death, I still miss her greatly.
I have a wife who is stone deaf in one ear. Sleeping on the other side proves most effective when necessary (snoring husbands, wild parties, teen age orgies etc ...)

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dee, who held your socks to ransom. I've forgotten the photo dude's name ( I think he changed it at some stage), but he sent me some lovely photos of Kapiti Island - wasn't he in The Lord of the Rings too?

Huia

There's me (unless the hospital has kidnapped me, in which case we could all meet there) and Arabella who's at her new garden Up The Coast.
Huia, I'd have a bed for you if you came up to join us (again, if I was in circulation).
I'd love to meet the wandering Shippies.
Who was the other in Wellington? Is she still active?
You guys go back further than I do (Sighs)

GG

Edited because it's after my intended bed time.

[ 18. January 2018, 07:26: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a lovely Wellington shipment with GG,the Grandad, Cosmic Dance, and APW and partner. It still sends warm tingles down my spine. And then there was Huia in pre- (just pre-) earthquake Christchurch. [Tear]

Hi Kiwis! Wish I could be there. Lots of water under the bridge since then - and it is only 7 years since Zappa and family sheltered me from the cyclone.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Your timing was brilliant Pete. Just after the first big one that caused less damage than the later, smaller fatal one. (the deadly one had both lateral and horizontal ground movement, which made it more destructive.) I remember some footpaths were closed making it more difficult to move around the city and there was a curfew on the buses. I'm glad I didn't know then how much more difficult life would become for a while.

Which reminds me - I must update my emergency kit and add Georgie's new preferred food.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Actually it's fascinating thinking about Downunder and UnderDownunder and other antipodean shippies who have passed through our pixellated lives ... I was trying to find a handful who I have met in meets and elsewhere, some of whom I know IRL and FB life, but who are disguised in Ship annals behined fine nommes de ship ... tricky ... and I can't say who they are as it could out them. One who nearly made an Auckland meet was Bernard Mahler, but he rang in with an apology at the last minute. Hasn't posted for years now. There's a couple from different ends of the NI that I run into from time to time elsewhere ... a few I've met in OZ meets too who have depixellated with time ....

All out there the diaspora af the anonymous ...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
... Liturgia Appasionata or somesuch ...

Ah ... I've got to the Es, doing homework on lost antipodeans ... he is Eucharistica Fantastica, though I note he only ever posted twice.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I'm not meaning to hold this thread to ransom, but it's kind of fun checking up on all who have passed through here and here's antecedents ...
I'm nearly half way now and will have missed dome; will post a half-way list soon.

But meanwhile
quote:
... and whatsername ...

was Jemimah.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Last for the morning ... here's some antipodeans who have passed through, most of whom we no longer see here - and actuall one or two who identify as kiwi, who we never have seen here. Haven't done the same for Australians yet as it's a far bigger list).

Incidentally a Ship policy seems to be to o eradicate all trace of those who are planked, so here's a toast to FD and Gordo, too. Also, inter alia:

• Arleigh
  • aj
  • Craig B
  • Cranmer's Baggage
  • Cusanus
  • Dangerous Deacon
  • Duo Seraphim
  • Fatmac
  • GeorgeNZ (though I'm not sure he ever posted here)
  • Goldfish Stew (still posting, but has never never posted here)
  • Innocent Stranger
  • James the Confident
  • Jemimah
  • Jugular
  • Kiwimac
  • Kuruman

I will have missed some as I say ... and L to Z another day.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Philip Charles - who posts very sporadically. Actually I recognised his name because I have a vague memory of him having given me a ride from the Dunedin Airport once about 20 or more years ago. His name stuck in mind because of Princes Philip and Charles - although I am hard put to remember names of people I see at church.

Also Storage Jars [Votive] who lives in Christchurch, whom I remember because of that and the information he posted about having been cleared of one cancer and being diagnosed with another - it just seemed so unfair . (OK, I'm a grown up and I know life isn't fair but...).

Kiwi Goldfish/a.k.a Goldfish Stew's wife also posted for a while as Mrs Kiwigoldfish.

There's also a woman here in Christchurch whose name totally eludes me, although we have met briefly.

I remember too meeting Shrinking Violet, an Aussie, as she was passing through.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

MTW and daughter. Lots of Yay, although she did post recently.

Is fatmac a separate person to Giant Cheeseburger?

[ 19. January 2018, 04:42: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello!

Congratulations to your PM, EnZedders, and prayers for a smooth pregnancy and safe delivery of her baby. As always, I like Annabel Crabb's take on things, although it would also have been interesting to hear more about Benazir Bhutto's experience as the first head of government in the modern era (I think??) to give birth in office.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I last saw aj at ken's funeral. He's married to Emma Louise and in the UK.

You missed Ecumaniac, and not that you've got there yet, Parsley Sage.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
Hello!

Congratulations to your PM, EnZedders, and prayers for a smooth pregnancy and safe delivery of her baby.

Just saw a local news clip [Yipee] . Jacinda Ardern has taken on a lot being PM and pregnant, but then she is a very competent woman with a lot of support. The only downside I see is the Deputy filling in for her, but that's a personal bias and he might surprise me.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
MTW and daughter. Lots of Yay, although she did post recently.

Is fatmac a separate person to Giant Cheeseburger?

yeah, i'll try and get l-z done later ... and that about Fatmac rings bells ....

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the children of Emperors of Byzantium are born in the purple, will the child of New Zealand's PM be born in all black?

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Small wobble here about 5pm

I hate the little ones when they're like that and I have to look it up in case I just imagined it, but I guess they're preferable to the big ones. Best place to be is on a bus and you can't feel a thing. [Smile]

I still reckon bushfires would be worse.

Huia -slightly shaken

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Small wobble here about 5pm

I hate the little ones when they're like that and I have to look it up in case I just imagined it, but I guess they're preferable to the big ones. Best place to be is on a bus and you can't feel a thing. [Smile]

I still reckon bushfires would be worse.

Huia -slightly shaken

Your buses must have much better suspension than ours. I don't know when I was last on a bus with a good train service only a short walk from home, buses being a much longer walk, giving an infrequent service and not going where I need to. But the suspension on the last bus I caught was very rough indeed.

I suppose that a fire is worse in that you can see it coming, but that also makes it better. Firefighters are very much at great risk, but many other people are able to move to a safe spot. The great losses of life occur only in the real horror fires. But there's precious little you can do to avoid an earthquake and next to no warning. No clue whether the next little rumble in the middle of the night will suddenly become the worst the city has ever experienced.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Facmac was previously linzc, not same as Giant Cheeseburger. I see him IRL/FB and he is well.

We’ve just checked in for our return flights day after tomorrow. Tapas tonight and picnic with our friends tomorrow, then it’s goodbye Barcelona, hello pile of bills and the Visa card statement (gulp).

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GeeD - not better suspension - just heaps of potholes, so the quake gets lost in all the bumps.

A moderate wobble in the night. I was awake, which was good because being woken is more stressful. The best is the kind where I sleep through and don't know about until I hear the news in the morning. [Snore]

31c forecast for today. A bit hot or the street barbecue - must slip, slop, slap.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had 6 hot days in a row - Thursday was 36C, Friday 38C, Sat 38C, Sun 38C, Monday a blessed 33C, today 37C and tomorrow is forecast to be just as hot.

TP has put in a valiant effort to keep the garden alive and so far has not lost a single plant.

We are fine, despite no aircon other than in the car. Just doing old fashioned sensible things to stay cool. Today I took an old kiddy train table left out on our street, and had fun pimping it into a lego table for the grandkids.

There was a lego "event" here on Saturday, where over a metric tonne of lego was sold to raise money for charity. B4 wanted to go, so I went with her. We cued for an hour in 38C heat; then spent an hour in a hot shed crammed with hundreds of other people scrabbling through paddle pools full of old lego. Finally, with sweaty plastic bags full of loot, we had to cue for an hour to get out.

It was like a nerd rave, without the lights, music, drugs... or fun. I had to talk B4 down from a panic attack because we were packed in like sardines and could only shuffle slowly forward through the thick BO. The lego had to be put through the washing machine it was so filthy.

Never again! However I HAVE had fun gluing lego plates and lego tape all over the recycled train table. I now have a unique lego crafting centre ready for B1.2 and B2.1 to have a lego challenge day next week. The tape means they can build vertically up the legs of the table as well as on top of it. Let the building begin!

BL. 60 going on 6.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I last saw aj at ken's funeral. He's married to Emma Louise and in the UK.

You missed Ecumaniac, and not that you've got there yet, Parsley Sage.

Plus blackaxe and her husband - rolling rock, I think.

I see AdamPater regularly and John Donne occasionally IRL (as did you recently, Zap), so I can assure you they are well and kicking.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

And Worm in the Grass...still lurks occasionally.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having met Blackaxe on the Ship, we're good friends IRL (and Facebook). She's going well. For those who remember the birth of Hatchet, he's now 11.

We're back and horribly jet-lagged. I'm sitting in front of my PC at work, which is subtly and importantly different to actually "being" at work.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:

I see AdamPater regularly and John Donne occasionally IRL (as did you recently, Zap), so I can assure you they are well and kicking.

along with Piers Ploughman, FD, Clarence, Rexory .... etc !

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banner Lady, you are a total heroine. I hope B4 appreciates you.

[Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visited our solicitor today to get copies of our will and enduring guardianship as we had lost them. After spotting our rings, which we have worn for almost 30 years, she asked if there had been a wedding and if so the old ones would be null and void. Something we never knew.

Anyone know if this just pertains to SSM or is it the norm for all?

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

A most welcome and spectacular thunderstorm last night brought the temp down to 22C - where it has stayed all day. Don't know how the BOM can be out by 13 degrees but we were grateful for the rain. The parched landscape desperately needs more.

TP still groaning that it's too hot.
BL now wearing a warm jacket and feeling sniffly. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
Visited our solicitor today to get copies of our will and enduring guardianship as we had lost them. After spotting our rings, which we have worn for almost 30 years, she asked if there had been a wedding and if so the old ones would be null and void. Something we never knew.

Anyone know if this just pertains to SSM or is it the norm for all?

Norm for all.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Unless a will expressly states that it's made in contemplation of a particular marriage, it is automatically void. Any marriage, not just SSM. Even if the will leaves the entire estate to your spouse, it's void and the estate would be administered as an intestacy.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Unless a will expressly states that it's made in contemplation of a particular marriage, it is automatically void. Any marriage, not just SSM. Even if the will leaves the entire estate to your spouse, it's void and the estate would be administered as an intestacy.

Thanks, we are to make new ones that expresses contemplation of marriage. I have alerted a couple of friends and they are doing likewise

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Indeed - but Fr Zappa said he would list L through Z another day.

Mulligrub would be on that list. I don't think she has been here in some time.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:

Indeed - but Fr Zappa said he would list L through Z another day.

Mulligrub would be on that list. I don't think she has been here in some time.

Though I'm quite happy if others do as my downtime is running out! Hope to get back to it on the weekend ...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

PS ... temperatures reached a most pleasant 35 here today ... [Razz]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Pleasant low 30's here too for the next few days. TP is delighted to have taken delivery of a new rose arbour. He was worried about the formal rose garden he spent all winter putting in, and was contemplating how best to throw some shade on it for the scorching days still ahead. The two dozen rose bushes were all gifted to us, and as yet keeping roses is new territory for him. Hopefully this will work to keep them alive.

We will finish putting it in over the next few days and then plant white wisteria over it. It is a round metal gazebo and quite pretty without dominating the front yard. TP's sister is on a mission to take pictures of his garden in each season so I think this has been a spur to him to create some aesthetically pleasing vistas. I am enjoying this new side of his retirement!

BL. Now married to someone who retired to grow roses. Whoda thunkit?

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There was a lego "event" here on Saturday, where over a metric tonne of lego was sold to raise money for charity. B4 wanted to go, so I went with her. We cued for an hour in 38C heat; then spent an hour in a hot shed crammed with hundreds of other people scrabbling through paddle pools full of old lego. Finally, with sweaty plastic bags full of loot, we had to cue for an hour to get out.

It was like a nerd rave, without the lights, music, drugs... or fun. I had to talk B4 down from a panic attack because we were packed in like sardines and could only shuffle slowly forward through the thick BO. The lego had to be put through the washing machine it was so filthy.

Never again! However I HAVE had fun gluing lego plates and lego tape all over the recycled train table. I now have a unique lego crafting centre ready for B1.2 and B2.1 to have a lego challenge day next week. The tape means they can build vertically up the legs of the table as well as on top of it. Let the building begin!

BL. 60 going on 6.

Ah yes, we had considered braving the Lego event. Very glad now that we didn't. The grandsons - now 3, 1 1/2 and 'to be born at the same time as the NZ PM's bub' - will have to make do with the stuff we have left over from 30 yrs ago. Daughter 2, the one who's pregnant, is admiring of Jacinda Adern's courage, but very glad that she herself will get a year's maternity leave.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Happened to be visiting a shopping emporium not too far from the said lego event....and all its shelves had been cleaned out of lego. They had a deal on with every second boxed set at half price. Clever...I suspect many parents simply gave up queuing and headed for the shops on their way home to appease small disappointed children. I overheard one dad say he was going home early to ninja some lego out of the cupboard and find a new box for it!

Grandkids B3.2 and B3.3 were let loose on the new lego table today while adults were erecting the rose arbour outside. They loved it. Glad it has survived the first test run so well.

PS. The "lego event" raised $42,000 for the Children's Hospital. At $20 per kilo that's a lot of lego sold!

[ 25. January 2018, 05:15: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016