homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Life downunder (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life downunder
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
I overheard one dad say he was going home early to ninja some lego out of the cupboard and find a new box for it!

For some years Daughter thought that Lego came in blue plastic bags because she got one or two sets every Christmas and birthday from Dad's stash. She did eventually twig that lego was supposed to come in large colourful boxes.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marama:
Daughter 2, the one who's pregnant, is admiring of Jacinda Adern's courage, but very glad that she herself will get a year's maternity leave.

Oh, amen to both!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS (again [Roll Eyes] ) sorry, Dal, looks like I missed you, as I will have many, in my list of A-K antipodean shippies ... mea culpa [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 26. January 2018, 00:20: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, fond memories of Shipmates and meets.

Relaxing this public holiday doing not much more than washing clothes and reading. Tomorrow I'm off to a bookshop in a town about 40 minutes away to scour the shelves for children's books for the daughters of 2 friends I will visit next weekend. May even visit the local chocolate store here and see if they have any animal chocolates: I saw lions and I think hippopotamuses and others last time.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacinda Ardern's pregnancy has sparked a Knit for Jacinda campaign. Knitters are choosing an article of babywear they would like to make for the PM's baby, knitting it, and donating it to a hospital or charity.

If it's anywhere near as well supported as the knitting of warm clothing for Christchurch in 2011 after so many people were left without heating by the earthquakes, there will be heaps of warm, happy babies [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a great idea, Huia. I downloaded an easy but very sweet baby cardigan yesterday which was free for the day. I had no idea when I would use it but could do something like that. When Miss M was having the treatment for leukaemia, I knitted dozens of chemo hats for the hospital , babies to teenagers, up to date patterns etc. My son took in a bag and the nurse he gave it to cried when she saw them.

Namya baby cardigan This is from Ravelry the enormous craft site for kniitters. I think patterns can be seen by non-members

[ 26. January 2018, 08:06: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't knit, but when I was editing my craft stash I found a baby bib I had bought some time ago that has an insert for a cross stitch design. I remember working one with a design I arranged* that said, Eat a rainbow which I gave to the diabetic dietician who was about to go on maternity leave.

*I don't actually design - I take elements from other people's designs in published pattern books and arrange them into a new design - like buying salads ingredients at a deli, rather than preparing them all from scratch. I don't know if there's a word for this. If I did it with other people's writing I suppose it might be plagiarism, but I'm not claiming what I do is original, merely that I originated the combination, and the books I use are published with the intent that needleworkers will use the designs.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Just to add to the above - I've taken the question of copyright and craft to Purgatory as I want to discuss it further because it intrigues me.

Huia

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
PS (again [Roll Eyes] ) sorry, Dal, looks like I missed you, as I will have many, in my list of A-K antipodean shippies ... mea culpa [Hot and Hormonal]

No worries. It's fair to say I wasn't properly antipodean until two years ago when I moved to the one city in NZ that is covered in cloud during a heatwave. And the external air-conditioning is permanently turned on - 40km/h today.

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing about manning a charity book stall for three weeks at a local market place is that it shows how many people genuinely love browsing for books. Many sighs of regret that we won't be back until next January. In a touch pad - blue light world this is rather heartening. And most of the kids loved looking for books as much as the adults.

Books with paper pages - not quite dinosaurs yet. [Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, hope is not lost. We had a bookstore open here just last year (I think!)

The AC has been on here today too. Hot and muggy, muggy for Albury that is. I've gotten used to the dry heat.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

When Scorpio the best independent bookseller in Christchurch (IMHO) opened their new shop, and moved out of the containers where they had been temporarily housed, following the destruction of the earlier shop in the 2011 quake) I walked in and burst into tears. I was so embarrassed, but staff said my reaction wasn't uncommon. It's not that I buy heaps of books, but having a place where I could browse (and spend my Scorpio vouchers, no matter how old they were, was really precious -- and .... drumroll ... the New Central Library is due to open in August [Axe murder] [Yipee] [Axe murder] [Yipee] x 100 million.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great news about your library - [Votive] that it all goes according to plan.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yes, every time I walk past the site I do a n internal dance, and any tourist who asks about the building gets a 5 minute lecture on how wonderful it will be

Huia [Hot and Hormonal] [Yipee]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed waking to a cooler morning after the heat of January. It was also darker from clouds and I wondered when daylight saving ended here,

April 1. That is going to be a busy day and I can just see people not arriving at church on time. Easter Sunday, April Fool’s Day and the end of daylight saving, at least in NSW. A recipe with various options for complications

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

Books with paper pages - not quite dinosaurs yet. [Smile]

If the continuing success of the Lifeline Bookfest is anything to go by, books are very much a thing. My 18 year old niece goes every year, too.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... April 1. That is going to be a busy day and I can just see people not arriving at church on time ...

If it's the end of daylight saving (i.e. going into winter) won't your clocks be going back, in which case anyone who's forgotten about it will be an hour early?

When we were in St. John's, we dreaded the thought of the clocks going forward on Easter Sunday, as we had a service at 6 o'clock in the morning, and losing an hour of sleep on top of that would have been a real pain.

For quite a while now the clock-change in Canada has happened in early March (this year it's the 11th), which is before the earliest date Easter can be.

That suits me fine. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

By “on time”, Piglet, I meant not at the right time. I once knew people who were never on time whenever the clocks change. An hour early or halfawy through the service.

I do not think I would go in if I were late. Not embarrassment but not wanting to cause a disturbance.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know what you mean. Being the wife of the organist tends to be an insurance policy against forgetting, either way!

We had a bass in the choir in Belfast who had occasionally forgotten to put his clocks forward, and he always got a lot of schtick about it. I don't think he ever forgot to turn them back though! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Arizona we don't mess around with the clock-changing nonsense (except in Navajoland). Often some new people to the state will arrive at church an hour late (in the fall) or an hour early (in the spring), not realizing that we don't change when most of the country does.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Actually, I generally enjoy the extra hour, but this year seems to have been longer, hotter, more humid, less actual rain etc. I am over it, as are many others. If I lived at the beach, it would be OK. I don’t. The sea breeze in afternoon has been very welcome and I am fortunate to have it. Two sons live further west where it has been a furnace.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Yipee] still hanging around in the low to mid thirties [Yipee]

Actually a combination of this weather and the absence of daylight saving (which I do NOT like) would be my idea of heaven. Which is why I like (preferably north) Queensland / Northern Territory so much.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put a jumper on today to walk the dogs. Two days ago it was over 30 in the middle of the night and you could drink the air.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Yipee] still hanging around in the low to mid thirties [Yipee]

Actually a combination of this weather and the absence of daylight saving (which I do NOT like) would be my idea of heaven. Which is why I like (preferably north) Queensland / Northern Territory so much.

Come to Arizona! We hit 28C today (in the middle of winter). And we never mess with our clocks.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, a much cooler day and a really good amount of rain last night.
TP has taken B1.1 and B1.2 to the War Memorial for the day. After two days with grandsons ranging from 5 to 16, I am amazed at their fascination with destruction. The world has been killed many times over by plague apps, the lego town set upon by bionical monsters, and Jenga Boom given a thorough workout. They have designed things that invade your dreams and had nerf gun wars.

On the other hand they have played chess, backgammon and cards in quite civilised fashion and today B1.2 had to try on his Ring Bearer's outfit for B4's impending nuptials. He seemed to quite like rocking a vest and bowtie. Although now his family has taken to referring to him as "the Frodo"... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

High 20s to low 30s here, but more unpleasant than it has been as the wind has been in the NW (which is a hot wind here). Hopefully it will veer back to the NE or even the SW ( which will come with a bit of rain [Yipee] ).

Considering dancing in the rain wrapped only my a cotton sheet to celebrate supermoon/eclipse/ blue/ blood moon, but the cloud will probably be too thick to see anything.

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll join you in a little special blue moon dancing, Huia, but I'd be delighted if the skies were to be overcast! A rainmaking dance might be more called for.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
I'll join you in a little special blue moon dancing, Huia, but I'd be delighted if the skies were to be overcast! A rainmaking dance might be more called for.

BBC and even NZ's unbelievably parochial media are paying attention to Cape Town's crisis, MaryLouise ... very worrying

Interestingly Adelaide especially has for a long time been near crisis waterwise ... not sure how it is now. But NSW still insists of farming water guzzling rice and cotton, with little control of evaporation rates [brick wall]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

The Cape Town situation sounds horrendous. I cannot imagine trying to get safely home from a distribution point carrying 50 litres of water. I guess anyone with relatives in other places will be trying to get out. I too hope ML is okay.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the concern, BL. I'm fine now but not sure how difficult life is going to get in the next few months. My neighbour has a borehole and we are managing on very little water. Most poorer South Africans in informal settlements have been coping with these dilemmas for years because they live in areas with no electricity or piped water. I've stayed in places in the Northern Cape where no rain has fallen for seven years and the weekly water truck is all that keeps people going. So now we are learning to make do with grey water for laundry and washing up, how to purify water, how to make do with much less.There are small trolleys for managing 21-litre containers of water.

And as with any humanitarian crisis, there are those who are desperate to get away and escape any difficulties; those blaming and pointing fingers, already starting fights over bottled water at collection points; and those who stay and help neighbours and the elderly get through it together. Human nature.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Meanwhile family members here on the edge of the Marakai Plains are flooded in and others in North Queensland are hot, wet and tired of the myriad of moulds growing in cars, clothes and cupboards. The invasion of creepy crawlies also trying to find dry places to hide doesn't need imagining.

The super blue blood moon wasn't very spectacular in this part of Oz, but I have seen some lovely pics of it online this morning from other parts of the country.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

About 30C and strong northerlies here ... unlike in OZ they're not a warm blast though ... sort of neutral temp. But Scarily Close is actually in a weather shadow sealed off from what's happening across most of the rest of Aotearoa.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Other parts of UnZud are getting a rougher time

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

31.9c and a hot Nor'wester here. Rain and a cold Sou'west forecast. Christchurch is on weather watch for heavy rainfall and gales over night. Meanwhile I'm sitting draped in a damp towel.

Friday and Saturday's forecast maximum temps are 18c, but while the temperatures then may be in my comfort zone wind and rain may not be. There's no pleasing some people [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Heavily overcast here, hoping for a little rain.

Went with a friend to collect 20+ litres of spring water in Newlands for a disabled friend. The queues were long but fast-moving because there were armed guards ensuring people weren't stockpiling, after fighting had broken out in the crowd the day before. People chatting in queues, everyone learning patience. Observers there on the side from India and Stockholm (apparently they had a water shortage scare a while back).

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

A bad day for family here today. I posted in prayer thread that BIL has been diagnosed with established mesothelioma.

MRI revealed extensive damage to DIL’s ankle which CT scan and xrays did not show. She will have operation on it next Thursday by top surgeon here and three months off work. I know from son’s operations how painful this will be. She is also worried about my step granddaughter who is a very anxious type little girl, prone to panic attacks.

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

Lothlorien and family [Votive]

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive] , Lothlorien and family

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] Loth and family [Votive]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(meanwhile I'm about one degree Celsius away from my longjohns cupboard [Eek!] )

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Definitely colder here too [Big Grin] . The last 2 days I've actually had to close the outside doors - usually both are wide open all the time, with security screen doors sufficient to keep out both flying insects and burglars (well nothing will keep out a very determined burglar, but the ones here tend to be lazy and go for the local 24hour dairy).

Loth [Votive] Sorry to hear about your family.

Every time we have heavy rainfall here the river at the end of my street, about 100 metres away, floods houses further upstream. This has been going on for years, but is worse since the quakes. Numerous attempts to alleviate it only led to further problems. Since drainage has been worse since the quakes I've been nervous about flooding, but a couple of "fifty year weather events" have happened and the stopbank hasn't been breached, even at high tide -so it seems less likely.

I wish I could track down the lawyer who did the conveyancing when I bought the house to thank him. He made extensive enquiries about flooding and advised me not to sign anything until he had the results from numerous sources. I know he was probably only doing his job, but I am grateful he was so meticulous as the river in question has been known to contain raw sewerage when it gets too high. Even without that floods cause devastation.

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why you retain a solicitor, to think of problems and check before you sign your life away. You could try your local Law Society - they should have details if he's still in practice.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have just heard from my sister whose ex had that dreadfiul diagnosis yesterday, that he is on hourly doses of Endone. The frequency suggests to me that things are grim indeed. Even with that, he is still in pain. They divorced many years ago but have been friendly most of the time since and she and their daughter are very upset.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
(meanwhile I'm about one degree Celsius away from my longjohns cupboard [Eek!] )

Goodness, Zappa, has it dipped below 30°C again? [Devil]

Loth, prayers continuing to ascend for your B-I-L. [Votive]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Loth and family [Votive]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying for you and your family Lothlorien, as you all deal with these dreadful circumstances.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you all for prayers and kind thoughts etc. I did not speak to my sister yesterday as something seemed to be wrong with her phone.

Update on DIL's ankle. MRI shows two detached and ripped ligaments of the three in ankle. Ankle reconstruction with top Sydney guy will be on Thursday and three months off work. He uses tendons to form a new stable ligament, a technique he developed years ago. She works in childcare and loves it but surgeon says leaving nature to take its course will produce an unstable mend in the ankle and she would not be able to look after children. All unpaid of course.

It never rains but it pours.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In matters purple, Bishop Peter Stuart was installed as Bishop of Newcastle on Friday, and has hit the ground running, naming Archdeacon Sonia Roulston and Archdeacon Charlie Murry as his assistant bishops-designate, to be consecrated in May.

Media coverage here

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

DIL has ankle reconstruction and was due at hospital today just after 6:00am. The hospital is not far from my place, so son will possibly be here for breakfast, certainly to crash for a while.

Niece took her dad to see the solicitir recommended in such cases for mponey from fund set up for asbestos victims with mesothelioma.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Glad things are progressing Loth.
Just had a message from my sister to say she has to have facial surgery in March. As she is petrified of needles this is a very big mental hurdle to get over.

In other matters purple our diocesan is going upmarket shortly, and leaving all things pointy hatted to the administrators. I assume we will have another Asst Bish appointed soon and one of the existing ones will be promoted. Unless someone is trucked in from elsewhere. If so, I feel desperately sorry for them. The moral mess they will walk into is a massive pile of muck. [Come Lord Jesus...]

Also of more urgent purple import (to me) is the fact that this morning my overlocker seized...in the middle of wedding garment preparations. The purple thread was doing fine until the needle snapped and jammed the machine completely. Sigh.

Praying I can get it fixed quickly...otherwise I'll have to buy a new machine to get things finished by next week. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016