homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs: ETA and other Ship slang (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs: ETA and other Ship slang
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this is the right place to ask. I am mindful of the Oxbridge chap who was so embarrassed at not finding out where the toilets were during Fresher Week (if they have those at Oxbridge?) that he spent 214 lectures and 16 tutorials with his legs tightly crossed.

So what is ETA all about, plase?

[edited title]

[ 11. December 2006, 11:41: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA = Edited to add

There is a list of abbreviations at the bottom of the page called Board Culture under FAQs on the menu on the left.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
There is a list of abbreviations at the bottom of the page called Board Culture under FAQs on the menu on the left.

When I click on it I'm told "You have requested a thread that does not exist!"

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - the link worked for me. You can still find the abbreviations under FAQs, on the left, on the menu there, and look at the Board bit above.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Olas
Shipmate
# 4116

- Posted      Profile for Olas   Email Olas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link to the FAQs worked fine, but the link to the Acronyms thread didn't work. The link says it's in the Styx, but I couldn't find it there, or in Limbo. Any chance of getting a fix, please? - it was pretty useful in working out what the hell some people were talking about!

--------------------
Work when somebody's watching.
Love like you need the money.
Dance like it hurts.

Posts: 66 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the same result as Olas. But I do remember an old thread (poss in Limbo) being resuscitated at my request and bumped up - on Styx I believe - a few months ago.

When I tried Acronyms on the search facility it gave me a bum steer TITSIIFIC......

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears that a few threads were lost during the recent launch of Oblivion (can you really launch oblivion?). Unfortunately, the acronym thread was one of the ones that has vanished. Please feel free to ask any questions about Ship jargon, abbreviations, or acronyms on this thread.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Scot
Member Admin

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was my fault -- I wasn't paying close enough attention when I was moving threads around, and I am sure it got lost. To make up for it, I offer this starter list of acronyms:
  • LOL: laughing out loud
  • ROFTLMAO: rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
  • YMMV: your mileage may vary
  • IM(H)O: in my humble opinion (note: many times it's bastardized to some variation of IMNAAHO: in my not at all humble opinion)
  • IME: in my experience
  • OP: opening post (can be used to describe the post itself or its author)
  • WTF: what the fuck
  • GLE: good little evangelical
  • ITTWACW: I thought this was a Christian website
  • BTW: by the way
  • AFAI...: as far as I/I'm (concerned, know, can tell, etc.)
  • IIRC: if I recall correctly

And here's a bunch more.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lately I've gotten fond of

TMI! (Too Much Information)

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NB: nota bene -- Draws attention to something important. (That one took me forever to figure out.)

IOW: in other words

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes still have to look up things like:

AISI: as I see it
ASF: and so forth
ATM: at the moment
ICBW: I could be wrong

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out.
ACRONYMS: Absurdly Contrived Representations Of Names Yielding Mass Stupefication.
MEGO: My Eyes Glazed Over.
LANO: Lights Are Not On.
(or) LOBNAH: Lights On But Nobody At Home.
IBM: I Blame Microsoft.
LOMBARD: Loads Of Money But A Real Dickhead.
NIMBY: Not In My Back-Yard.
HOLDEN: Heaps Of Little Dirty Engine Nuts.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

[Killing me]

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Cafe- brb: be right back

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:
NB: nota bene -- Draws attention to something important. (That one took me forever to figure out.)

Yeah, that's a legit scholar thing (versus a computer thang!) and I've seen it used more commonly in the UK than here in the USA. Whatever that means. [Biased]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia
Shipmate
# 3136

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
quote:
Originally posted by Professor Kirke:

Yeah, that's a legit scholar thing (versus a computer thang!) and I've seen it used more commonly in the UK than here in the USA. Whatever that means. [Biased]
That us Brits are jolly good at the old school boy Latin, don't you know! Spiffing! [Razz]

--------------------
Just as I am, without one flea...

Posts: 523 | From: Ottery St. Catchpole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW: By the way
TIA: Thanks in advance (I don't know whether this is used on the Ship but I've seen it on other websites)

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

ITTWACW

You're just jealous 'cos you can't make cars

[ 27. October 2006, 10:19: Message edited by: Foaming Draught ]

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HTH - Hope this helps.

HTH

HJ

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

- Posted      Profile for Triple Distilled   Email Triple Distilled   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

FORD: Fix or repair daily [Biased]

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler
I propose an Anglican compromise. We torture her, but infinitesimally slowly, so that everyone ends up confused.(Thanks Anna B)

Posts: 299 | From: adelaide australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zorro
Shipmate
# 9156

- Posted      Profile for Zorro   Author's homepage   Email Zorro   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOTUS:Lots of Trouble, Usually serious [Razz]

In the cafe-OIC is just as it sounds (Oh, I see.)

--------------------
It is so hard to believe, because it is so hard to obey. Soren Kierkegaard
Well, churches really should be like sluts; take everyone no matter who they are or whether they can pay. Spiffy da wondersheep

Posts: 2568 | From: Baja California (actually the UK but that's where my fans know me from) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just happened across ISTM (it seems to me), which I don't think has been mentioned yet.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by butler:
quote:

FORD: Fix or repair daily [Biased]
No, it's Found On Rubbish Dump. You should know that!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's keep this thread limited to acronyms and slang that are commonly used here on the Ship. You can start a thread in Heaven if you want to discuss other, non-Ship-related, abbreviations.

Scot
Styx Host

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one came up on the Mount Athos thread:

ITTTWAMA

[Ultra confused]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ITTTWAMA: I thought this thread was about Mt. Athos. Acronym was defined in brackets when it was first posted, but if you scroll quickly through entire thread, you'll see the background to the acronym.

M

[ 29. October 2006, 01:12: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Durrr! Didn't see that. [Hot and Hormonal] Quite appropriate for that thread, too.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Liturgy Queen! [Smile] May all the threads you start flourish!

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Could someone please tell me the precise intention behind YMMV (your mileage may vary...) . To someone ignorant of which garage it originally came out of, there seems to be more than one interpretation. Here are three (and a half):

1. You are driving a different model/taking a diffeent route (You may have other - equally valid - information.

2. Your car/chauffeur/driving skills may be less efficient than mine (which I prefer to trust).

3. Your odometer may have been interfered with (or, beggar the thought!......

3.5 You may be a used-car dealer, of course. (You've been economical with the truth to sell your POV)

Could someone please furnish (hopefully, reassuring) clarification?

[ 04. November 2006, 08:18: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't it just mean that your experience, or your interpretation of the experience, might not be exactly the same as the person's you are addressing?

If not, than I am colossaler dunderhead than you, 'cos that is what i have always assumed but I haven't ver asked.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently used STFU - Shut The F**k Up.
and OTOH - On The Other Hand.

[ 04. November 2006, 12:18: Message edited by: Papio ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been known to use ILPDaRoOLJC for Incarnation, Life, Passion Death and Ressurection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Eccles has varius like MPBoOLJC for Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eccles has a whole slew of long involved acronyms - I know one ended with SotA for Sacrifice of the Altar because I had to ask as that was where I got lost (I was alright up to there).

They have also had HLMQEtQM for Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, although how she got dragged into Eccles, I don't remember.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I have been known to use ILPDaRoOLJC for Incarnation, Life, Passion Death and Ressurection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Carys

Given how much thought and effort goes into typing an acronym like that, one would think it almost as easy to include the phrase in full, unless one has a terror of commas or somesuch.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frin:
quote:
Carys

Given how much thought and effort goes into typing an acronym like that, one would think it almost as easy to include the phrase in full, unless one has a terror of commas or somesuch.
Even typing fast as I do I can type the acronym in about half the time of the full thing (I just timed it out of curiosity!). It came out of a desire to emphasise the importance of the whole deal (as opposed to just the Crucifixion) in the Salvation event and this meant that I typed it more than once in the post.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eccles has varius like MPBoOLJC for Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

No true denizen of Eccles would ever use that. It's MPBoOLASJC. (You left out And Saviour [and yes, BritSpell is required here].)

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, call me naive, but here's a question I've been wanting to ask for weeks ...

Is GIN an acronym or are certain Shipmates simply so devoted to a particular drink that they spell it in CAPITALS (see Rossweisse's sig, for example)?

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:

Is GIN an acronym or are certain Shipmates simply so devoted to a particular drink that they spell it in CAPITALS (see Rossweisse's sig, for example)?

Since nobody better has come along to answer this, I will take it on myself to do so - though I am hardly qualified to answer it.

GIN is not an acronym in this context. It seems that certain people of a mainly Anglican persuasion (and, ISTM, high Anglican) consider GIN to be the correct vehicle for alcoholic refreshment, seemingly at every possible opportunity. I assume it is normally mixed with something (usually tonic water in my very limited experience!)

Personally I cannot understand the love for this spirit - the few times I have tried it, in various combinations, I have found it to be almost undrinkable, but perhaps the fault is mine and shows a poor education and deficient background.

There has been considerable discussion on many threads in the past - mainly on the Ecclesiantics Board - about the various makes of GIN, and how and where to drink it. This caused a level of despair to some of the hosts. IIRC, at one time there was a move to ban any mention of GIN, but wiser heads prevailed and mention of it has subsided to the present level of reference.

I hope this answers your question...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pure Sunshine
Shipmate
# 11904

- Posted      Profile for Pure Sunshine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Tony. Now I'll know to avoid that weird Ecclesiantics crowd ... [Biased]

--------------------
Pure Sunshine by name, and sometimes by nature.

Posts: 472 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Sunshine:

Since nobody better has come along to answer this, I will take it on myself to do so - though I am hardly qualified to answer it.

GIN is not an acronym in this context. It seems that certain people of a mainly Anglican persuasion (and, ISTM, high Anglican) consider GIN to be the correct vehicle for alcoholic refreshment, seemingly at every possible opportunity. I assume it is normally mixed with something (usually tonic water in my very limited experience!)

Personally I cannot understand the love for this spirit - the few times I have tried it, in various combinations, I have found it to be almost undrinkable, but perhaps the fault is mine and shows a poor education and deficient background.

I hope this answers your question...

TonyK,

I think you'll find your mistake was in the manner of preparation; true Anglo-Catholic GIN is only ever drunk having first been filtered through an incensed cotta lightly rubbed with the zest of two limes. It makes all the difference.

--------------------
Collecting Catholic and Anglo-
Catholic books

Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
I think you'll find your mistake was in the manner of preparation; true Anglo-Catholic GIN is only ever drunk having first been filtered through an incensed cotta lightly rubbed with the zest of two limes. It makes all the difference.

MM
No, sorry. I don't think even your imaginative recipe could remove/cover up the 'orrible flavour.
Good try though - marks for effort.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Horrible flavour? I'm shocked!

Come off it, Tony. Surely you've bought me enough GIN at enough Shipmeets by now...

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I suggest that the discussion of alcoholic beverages would be better conducted in Heaven?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IRL = in Real Life, and
RL = the afore-mentioned Real Life.

In the Cafe - WB = welcome back (usually after one's computer has been playing silly buggers with one's connection to the Cafe).

(Not a Ship one, but I once saw a funny discussion of how to explain RTFM to young children - the conclusion was that it should be translated as Read The Friendly Manual [Biased] .)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to all the people who've clarified stuff here - it's been really helpful. Just 2 questions:

What are TITSIIFIC and ITTWACW?

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't think of the first one out of context but the second is our favorite "I this was a Christian Website!" (said seriously occasionally,) and frequently joked about by regulars.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

They have also had HLMQEtQM for Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, although how she got dragged into Eccles, I don't remember.

I was making fun of some of our other abbreviations.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I can't think of the first one out of context but the second is our favorite "I this was a Christian Website!" (said seriously occasionally,) and frequently joked about by regulars.

It will match up even better with the acronym if the main verb is restored: "I thought this was a Christian website."

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
Could someone please tell me the precise intention behind YMMV (your mileage may vary...) . To someone ignorant of which garage it originally came out of, there seems to be more than one interpretation. Here are three (and a half):

1. You are driving a different model/taking a diffeent route (You may have other - equally valid - information.

2. Your car/chauffeur/driving skills may be less efficient than mine (which I prefer to trust).

3. Your odometer may have been interfered with (or, beggar the thought!......

3.5 You may be a used-car dealer, of course. (You've been economical with the truth to sell your POV)

Could someone please furnish (hopefully, reassuring) clarification?

I think it goes back to the 1970s in the US, when automobile manufacturers first started advertising what kind of gas mileage their cars got, and then tacked on the disclaimer "your mileage may vary." They were of course quoting mileage their cars got under ideal driving conditions, so put in the disclaimer in order to prevent being sued for false advertising. When someone on the internet says "YMMV" they're just saying they realize that others' experiences/opinions/whatever may very well be different from their own, and with good reason.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I concur, but was too lazy type what RuthW said.

[ 10. November 2006, 22:23: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016