homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » FAQs: ETA and other Ship slang (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: FAQs: ETA and other Ship slang
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm embarrassed by not knowing what TITSIIFIC means because I'm pretty sure I once used it myself! Perhaps someone can fill n the gap:

"That is _ _ if I _ it correctly"

Very helpful!

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
I'm embarrassed by not knowing what TITSIIFIC means because I'm pretty sure I once used it myself! Perhaps someone can fill n the gap:

Very helpful!

You used it previously on this very thread. Unfortunately, it looks like that's the only place it occurs on the entire internet, according to Google. You didn't just make it up, did you? [Big Grin]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
I concur, but was too lazy type what RuthW said.

I was under the impression that I had already said it, but hey ho.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Very helpful!

I read it as 'that is to say if I follow it correctly'.

Not being able to read your own acronym some time later points to the problem of abbreviating - your readership may not be able to figure out what you are saying either.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Papio, your definition was serviceable, but it didn't ring the buzzer. RuthW's did by locating its origin in the 1970s. A definition without an etymology, or at least attestations, is rather like a play shovel sold for use at the beach: it simulates the form, but you can't do real work with it.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Doesn't it just mean that your experience, or your interpretation of the experience, might not be exactly the same as the person's you are addressing?

I gave the etymology because I think the definition is clearer with it, and because it's a rare bit of American understatement: the car manufacturers were saying "your mileage may vary" but we all damned well knew our mileage would vary a lot. So when someone says "YMMV," to me they're not saying your experience or interpretation might be different; they're saying they know it will be and are acknowledging that up front.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

They have also had HLMQEtQM for Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, although how she got dragged into Eccles, I don't remember.

I was making fun of some of our other abbreviations.
Yerrsss.... I think that might have been after I confused all and sundry with reference to the IoOILBMtEVQoH (Intercession of Our Immaculate Lady, Blessed Mary the Ever Virgin Queen of Heaven).

I've already apologised for that one and consider it unlikely to turn up again. UA1EFUI.*

* unless anyone else fancies using it

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zingara
Shipmate
# 12068

- Posted      Profile for Zingara   Author's homepage   Email Zingara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Alan Cresswell for directing me here, it's really useful! [Smile]

--------------------
Blogblogbloggityblog

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OT = Old Testament

(amongst all the other acronyms it really took me a while to figure out that it didn't mean Originial Thought or something).
[Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does "Snap" mean? Here's a recent use. Does it have other meanings besides whatever it means there?

What does "I'll get my coat" mean?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ValS
Shipmate
# 11543

- Posted      Profile for ValS     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to an online slang dictionary, "Oh snap!" is a phrase uttered in disbelief when something bad happens.
Posts: 107 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NAHAY - New Around Here, Are You?
HAND - Have A Nice Day.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does "I'll get my coat" mean?

It's a reference to The Fast Show. One of the characters played by Mark Williams used it as a catchphrase. He'd be in conversation with a group of people, say something far too honest and then say "I'll get me coat"

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
re 'Snap' - I always understood it to be an allusion to the card game of that name, where you shout 'Snap!' when a matching card shows up. In other words, when used online, I thought it meant 'my experience matches yours'.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My kids used to use "snap" IRL - it's when two people both say the same thing at the same time. In cyberspace it's used (at least here on the Ship) when two people crosspost with the same (basic) response to a post.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone once replied "Snap!" to me on another board, but at the time I thought what it meant was that I had "snapped" - I had just posted a pretty flamboyant screed in response to some pathetic chauvinist drivel. OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a mere slip of a lad one said 'jinx' rather than 'snap'.

This is, of course, OT. As in 'off topic' as opposed to Old Testament which Molopata has correctly identified. NT stands for New Testament.

One occasionally comes across references to 'The Plot'. Which is what we call the Orthodox Church around here. More rarely one encounters references to the 'Italian Mission' or the 'Italian Mission to the Irish' which is a reference to the Catholic Church. Catholics occasionally respond with less than flattering nicknames for the Church of England which tend to fall flat because they aren't as funny. [Biased] The unwary should note that The Plot is offence-neutral whereas references to the Italian Mission tend to be construed as unfriendly.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Catholics occasionally respond with less than flattering nicknames for the Church of England which tend to fall flat because they aren't as funny. [Biased]

Do we? What are they? An important part of my catechesis seems to be missing -- that's what you get for becoming a Catholic in America!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the "get me coat" and "snap" explanations!

Snap! [Two face]

I'll get my coat. [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
It's a reference to The Fast Show. One of the characters played by Mark Williams used it as a catchphrase. He'd be in conversation with a group of people, say something far too honest and then say "I'll get me coat"

Or just something generally embarrassing. Anything which you can imagine killing the conversation as everyone stares at you. On these boards, it mainly seems to be used by someone who's cracked a bad joke or made a geeky, pedantic correction. I seem to say it quite a lot... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
redoubt
Shipmate
# 9354

- Posted      Profile for redoubt   Email redoubt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone explain the use of the word bump, usually in brackets, <bump> . This is often the only word in the post. Maybe it's some web jargon I'm totally unaware of, but I cannot work out what it means.

--------------------
Cauliflower is almost edible if roasted and drowned in cheese sauce.

Posts: 153 | From: near the centre of England | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One that even I can answer, redoubt.

It's to move the thread up to the top of the Board's first page - as in 'bump up'.

Often done in 'All Saint's' to get a shipmeet thread onto the first page.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YMMV - thanks for that; although I couldn't alaways see how it fitted, I got it into my head that it might mean;

You Make Me Vomit

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
sanityman
Shipmate
# 11598

- Posted      Profile for sanityman   Email sanityman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Could someone please tell me the precise intention behind YMMV (your mileage may vary...) . To someone ignorant of which garage it originally came out of, there seems to be more than one interpretation. Here are three (and a half):

1. You are driving a different model/taking a diffeent route (You may have other - equally valid - information.

2. Your car/chauffeur/driving skills may be less efficient than mine (which I prefer to trust).

3. Your odometer may have been interfered with (or, beggar the thought!......

3.5 You may be a used-car dealer, of course. (You've been economical with the truth to sell your POV)

Could someone please furnish (hopefully, reassuring) clarification?

I think it goes back to the 1970s in the US, when automobile manufacturers first started advertising what kind of gas mileage their cars got, and then tacked on the disclaimer "your mileage may vary." They were of course quoting mileage their cars got under ideal driving conditions, so put in the disclaimer in order to prevent being sued for false advertising. When someone on the internet says "YMMV" they're just saying they realize that others' experiences/opinions/whatever may very well be different from their own, and with good reason.
Being a UKite (so not having met this disclaimer), and having first encountered it on Usenet in the late Precambrian, I'd understood it to be a reference to phrases like "I wouldn't go that far." i.e. "You may not go as far as that" becomes "Your mileage amy vary."

However, a peruse of the Jargon File suggests that I was mistaken. Thus dies a supposition which I've cherished for over 10 years. [Tear]

- Chris.

--------------------
Prophesy to the wind, to the wind only for only the wind will listen - TS Eliot

Posts: 1453 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
mmmerangue
Apprentice
# 12355

- Posted      Profile for mmmerangue   Author's homepage   Email mmmerangue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My personal favourite Internet Abbreviations:

Lol, Lmao, Rofl and roflmao. that would be Laughing out loud, laughing my ass off, rolling on the floor and rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

HF. this is my general ending to MSN convos, standing for HAVE FUN! which you all should do as regularly as possible.

wtf. what the fuck!

omg. Oh My God! Blasphemy in shorthand!

omfg. Oh My Fucking God!

l33t. Elite, used by hackers and has been stolen by what appears to be the whole world, means cool or amazing ... 1337

For a variety of random internet (and other) slang visit http://www.urbandictionary.com/ [Smile]

--------------------
...I have Sqandered my Existance for a pocketful of Mumbles- such are Promises, all Lies in Jest, till a Man Hears what he Wants to Hear and Disregards the rest...

Posts: 7 | From: Coldstream, Scotland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
um...gee...thanks for that..

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come now, monkeylizard, surely it's good for us to know that we all look like a bunch of fucking imbeciles with absolutely no experience on the intertubes such that even the most basic and commonplace abbreviations need to be explained to us in moronically sparse detail.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mmmerangue:
My personal favourite Internet Abbreviations:

<snipped>

NAHAY?

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
YMMV - thanks for that; although I couldn't alaways see how it fitted, I got it into my head that it might mean;

You Make Me Vomit

eeep! I use YMMV with some frequency and the B62 reading would be quite different in intent!

"I'll get my coat" makes me think of the "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?" phrase, only directed at oneself. Kind of a "Don't let the door hit you on the way out--" phrase.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me but I think "I'll get my coat" predates Tubbs reference.

I am used to the phrase used slightly differently in phrases like "Time to get your coat", "Come on here's your coat" to basically mean "its time to leave".

So someone posting "I'll get my coat" is saying, right I know I have misread the situation, I'll leave this conversation to you guys.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Come now, monkeylizard, surely it's good for us to know that we all look like a bunch of fucking imbeciles with absolutely no experience on the intertubes such that even the most basic and commonplace abbreviations need to be explained to us in moronically sparse detail.

Shut up you depraved pagan-worshiping heathen maple leaf rag piece of maple sap! Some of us ARE in need of that explanation! I did not know all of them. I do avoid knowing them since I enjoy being a pollyana. I hope you appreciate the love I just shared with you, hockey puck. I know you feel all warm and tingly inside now.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
... I know you feel all warm and tingly inside now.

Given that your response was the longest delayed come-back in the history of the Ship (2 months+), his tingly warmth may be a bit subdued.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh crap. I just noticed that. [Hot and Hormonal]
I suck.

[eta: thanks for opening my pollyana eyes to that one, Steel-plated man!]

[ 21. April 2007, 20:02: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to mention that RooK's currently on shore leave.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

He's not viewing the ship at all? (Browsing)?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Einstein said something about thinking remembering lots of trivia (like how many feet in a mile) wasn't useful. I mean, you can look it up, why clutter your brain with that stuff?

SO go ahead and don't worry about all the esoterica of the Web-Ites. You don't know what an abbrevation is, just look it up. Or ask folks, People love to feel needed and smart and stuff like that, because they can teach you something.

Some stuff has two meanings anyway, yes?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
I mean, you can look it up, why clutter your brain with that stuff?

Because indexed sequential is faster than random access.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

bonabri
Shipmate
# 304

- Posted      Profile for bonabri   Email bonabri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally I can stop torturing myself trying to work out what ETA means.

Next I will have to work out how to edit I suppose..

Posts: 274 | From: Brighton and Hove, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

No, I'm back from Kauai now.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ValS:
According to an online slang dictionary, "Oh snap!" is a phrase uttered in disbelief when something bad happens.

More on "snap"

Couldn't find it on UD, but I have also seen it used as a noun to indicate an insult, usually directed at somebody's female family members, but a really cutting insult in general. Also as a verb to describe the act of insulting somebody thusly.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

No, I'm back from Kauai now.
Watch out or I'll put Sheep 3 in Hell and let her *plop* all over the place. [Razz]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other cafe acros (incl some already mentioned):

wb = welcome back
ty = thank you
np = no problem
oic = oh i see
brb = be right back

brb can also be used as an adjective -- "So-and-so is brb." I never see "afk" (away from keyboard) anymore.

Also if you get kicked off, when you come back people may offer you a towel, the idea being that you fell overboard (into the sea) and are therefore wet and cold.

[ 23. May 2008, 00:02: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lydia
Shipmate
# 12161

- Posted      Profile for Lydia   Email Lydia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do some people's names have an asterisk at the end? Does it mean anything, or do they just choose to add it when they choose the name? Why does Sine exist in two incarnations: Sine Nomine* and Sine Nomine?

Thanks,
Lydia

--------------------
You mean I'm supposed to think of something interesting to write in a sig?

Posts: 204 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Lydia:
Why do some people's names have an asterisk at the end? Does it mean anything, or do they just choose to add it when they choose the name? Why does Sine exist in two incarnations: Sine Nomine* and Sine Nomine?

For some people, the asterisk is an affectation.

In Siné's case, though, it's because he bought himself a new membership with a fashionably low member number at the Ship's action a while back. His higher-number/less-cool account was then altered to have the asterisk at the end so that his new account could have his regular name. There are a few other member number auction winners as well, so there should be more instances of versions with an asterisk name place-holder.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other reason that some people may have an asterisk in their name is because they changed their name several times in succession (during one of the name change amnesties) then decided to go back to their original name after all - but the software would not allow the name to be reused so soon (or something like that) so they ended up using an asterisk to differentiate the new name from the old name which was not allowed. I seem to recall that for some of these people, come the next amnesty, they were finally able to shed the unwanted asterisk.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why you should think long and hard about making name changes. In order to faciliate this extended process, our beloved Community Editor, the blessed Erin, gives us plenty of time between amnesties to ponder our choice.

She's very thoughtful and considerate about such things.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lydia
Shipmate
# 12161

- Posted      Profile for Lydia   Email Lydia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just remembered I posted this question weeks ago, and then life got busy and I forgot to come back and look for the answer.

So a very belated thank you to RooK and Gracious Rebel. [Hot and Hormonal]

Lydia

--------------------
You mean I'm supposed to think of something interesting to write in a sig?

Posts: 204 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone please tell me what TEC means?

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopal Church (of the USA).

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the newbies, or other interested parties:

AC - Anglo-Catholic
CofE - Church of England
ECUSA - Episcopal Church in the USA (now TEC)
ELCA - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
ELCC - Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada
LCMS - Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod
PCUSA - Presbyterian Church in the USA
PCC - Presbyterian Church in Canada
RC - Roman Catholic Church
RCA - Roman Catholic Church in America
TEC - The Episcopal Church (US)
UC, or UCA - Uniting Church of Australia
UCC - United Church of Christ (US)
UCCan - United Church of Canada
UMC - The United Methodist Church (US)

That's all I can think of, at the moment.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016