homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » O Sapientia

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: O Sapientia
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A blessed O Sapientia-tide to all!

O Sapientia, quae ex ore Altissimi prodiisti,
attingens a fine usque ad finem,
fortiter suaviterque disponens omnia:
veni ad docendum nos viam prudentiae.

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, that annual argument about whether it's today or tomorrow!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever it starts (whispers *tomorrow*), I love these antiphons. A mystical Christology in a nutshell - one large nutshell or several small nutshells, I suppose. They always make me think I’d like to be a mystic when I grow up. And the emotional impact of the words paired with the traditional melodies is staggering.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Oh, that annual argument about whether it's today or tomorrow!

The great thing about the English tradition is that you get an extra antiphon to enjoy: "More O for yer dough", as it were!
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My childhood cat Sappy arrived on my birthday (today) and was named in honour of O Sapientia!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a lovely setting by Robert Ramsay. The choir I sing in did two concerts of "O" antiphons this weekend - each section had the plainchant, followed by an early setting and then a modern setting (most of the modern ones were Arvo Part but there was also a stunning Macmillan).
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some beautiful settings of these antiphons as used in the Orthodox neo-Gallican rite. They are a harmonisation of a quite lovely plainsong melody (not the melody to which these antiphons are usually sung - not that it isn't equally lovely).

They are in French but are easily adapted to English, although I haven't yet had the chance.

I'll see if I can make then accessible.

[ 17. December 2017, 13:24: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a stunning anthem titled 'The Prophecy' by Healey Willan, which incorporates all of the 'O' texts (adapted) and ending with a solo soprano above all the rest singing 'O Virgin of virgins'. IIRC it is the first movement of the cantata 'The Mystery of Bethlehem.' Not easy, but do-able by a good parish choir and a first-rate organist.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016