homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Do you recognise this hymn?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Do you recognise this hymn?
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of his books, the writer John Julius Norwich cites a verse from a hymn he says is in the 'English Church Hymnal', a book I don't recognise. The verse is a hoot, but is it genuine? Can anybody point to the hymn of which this is supposedly part? Enlightenment, please!

Worms, strike your harp! Your voices tune
To sing your Maker's praise;
Leap from the earth with pious mirth
And trumpet forth your lays!

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like it also appears in the Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal (1941).

--------------------
arse

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's mentioned in this article from New Directions, but with no indication as to provenance.

As the author of the article says, worms are portrayed much more positively in Psalm 148!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't recall ever encountering it, and suspect it might be a joke example. However, if it does exist, it's Common Metre and the style would suggest a source in eighteenth century dissent.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, and to a nice rumbustious tune played on bass-viol, clarinet, serpent etc.!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are the worms striking their harps -with-? Perhaps two or three cooperate in the playing of it, a couple to hold the harp upright, another to finger the strings, and a fourth to actually strike them.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
What are the worms striking their harps -with-?

Much like this snake birthday card, which I've seen in stores.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The answer, obviously, is blu-tak....

IJ

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn’t show up at hymnary.org. And interestingly, when I googled the first line of the quoted verse, this thread was the only hit.

BTW, hymnary.org shows 2 “worm hymns” by Charles Wesley: Say Then, Ye Worms of Earth and Ye Worms of Earth, Arise.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair though hymnary.org hasn't got all of the hymns online from the (IIRC the date) 1906 English Hymnal.

[ 22. February 2018, 12:08: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It certainly doesn't sound like an original English Hymnal effort, though EH does have some gems...

No, this seems more like the sort of thing sung with vigour in a little white-washed chapel in Skittle Yard, or Ranters Alley, and probably written by the pastor.

Think Lantern Yard, as portrayed in George Eliot's Silas Marner.

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... with afore-mentioned rumbustious tune etc.

Sounds like rustic 18th-century Nonconformity to me. Or could it be Isaac Watts?

[ 22. February 2018, 16:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Isaac Watts? Could be - or perhaps an early John (or Charles) Wesley?

Now I come to think of it, would the rumbustious tune, with bass-viol, clar'net, sarpint etc., all complete, and got up regardless, be typical of 18thC Conventickles? C of E, yes, as per Hardy...

IJ

--------------------

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangent: I shall go and find my extremely battered copy of Richard Scarry's "What do people do all day?" and see if the wonderful character Lowly Worm ever played a musical instrument.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I clearly remember Lowly Worm driving a car, so he's very able for a invertebrate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was by Isaac Watts, it's very unlikely that a search of hymnary.org wouldn't pick it up.

It's also less likely to be of CofE origin since until about 1815, the CofE only allowed the singing of metrical psalms and the small number of hymns that were printed at the back of either Sternhold & Hopkins or Tate & Brady. If it is genuine and was sung in the CofE, it would either have been written after then, or, more likely, had been adopted from another source.

It could be genuine, but I still suspect it of being a spoof, though quite a good one, and possibly quite an old one.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

It does sound like a spoof. I'm still wondering about the first line; either worms strike your harps or worm strike your harp would still scan.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I've been able to read an extract from the Lutheran hymnal I mentioned above. It does repeat these lines, but only within the context of a discussion about "worm hymns" in particular the famous Isaac Watts one and gives no indication where they got it from. I'm wondering if they were just having a bit of a laugh.

--------------------
arse

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

There's another legendary one, which I don't believe exists, from the same era called 'the Spinster's Prayer'. It's alleged to have a rousing fuguing soprano line,

"Give me a man -
Give me a man -
Give me a mansion in the sky".

--------------------

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
There's another legendary one, which I don't believe exists, from the same era called 'the Spinster's Prayer'. It's alleged to have a rousing fuguing soprano line,

"Give me a man -
Give me a man -

And for the Catholics, this one has been around for ages: Saint Anne, Saint Anne, find me a man as fast as you can!
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Indeed, and to a nice rumbustious tune played on bass-viol, clarinet, serpent etc.!

IJ

I wish I could get the lyrics to the full hymn, as I am in the midst of revising my funeral arrangements, and this would make a nice offertory hymn.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

"Give me a man -
Give me a man -

like 'Catch the flee...Catch the flee...Catch the fleeting hour.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
aliehs
Shipmate
# 18878

- Posted      Profile for aliehs   Author's homepage   Email aliehs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rambunctious gallery hymns : sung by Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band? "Sing lustily and with good courage" is the name of the CD I have.

But the worms aren't there in any lyrics.

Maybe the worms are in the woodwork of the harps?

Or a precursor of Wormtongue?[C.S. Lewis]

--------------------
Now I see through a glass darkly. Maybe I should clean my specs.
sld2A

Posts: 160 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aliehs:
The rambunctious gallery hymns : sung by Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band? "Sing lustily and with good courage" is the name of the CD I have.

Why haven't I got that? An omission to be rectified!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was a side comment recalled from a discussion on the altering hymns to gender inclusive language. That is that many 18th century hymns contained 'worm' taking from Psalm 22:6. That is not part of contemporary spirituality and has not been for a long time so people changed the hymn words rather than stop singing them.

C.S. Lewis' use almost certainly stems from the alternative use of 'worm' to mean dragon, snake or serpent.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The "O for a man ..." trophe was certainly known in America by 1864: see p.33 of this "erudite" volume (I'm afraid that the language is patronising and quite possibly recist).
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

On a slight, but related tangent, J. R. R. Tolkien also referred to dragons as 'worms'. His little-known short story Farmer Giles of Ham has (IIRC - my copy is not immediately to hand) a certain dragon, or worm, in a starring role.

Tolkien was, of course, as enny fule kno, a good friend and contemporary of C. S. Lewis....

I'm afraid we're so far away these days from a Serious Sense of Sin that these vermicular hymns are a source of amusement, rather than of repentance.

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
On a slight, but related tangent, J. R. R. Tolkien also referred to dragons as 'worms'. His little-known short story Farmer Giles of Ham has (IIRC - my copy is not immediately to hand) a certain dragon, or worm, in a starring role.

Wyrm was an Old English word that could mean snake, serpent, dragon or earthworm. When Latin-derived words came in for serpents and dragons, and as another Old English-derived word became popular as "snake," the meaning of "worm" became limited to earthworms and their ilk.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pictured the Vestry behind David, master of the choir.

A Prozac dream, nonetheless.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016