homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Marriage vs God (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Marriage vs God
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who knows, there has been reduction in the number of church weddings as different options open up. Church is no longer the default wedding venue, but when a couple get married in a church it is a positive choice to.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E to the i pi:
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Well 44 years ago there wasn't the choice of places to get married that there are now. Weddings in church were much more the norm that they are today.

I'd have thought unbelieving church weddings were much more the norm now than then, given the proportionate reduction in the number of self identifying Christians.
Could be. But he still could have had a church wedding back in the day. Was there a standard form civil ceremony? If not, they might have defaulted to the CoE form.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some basic non-secular definitions of faithfulness and commitment within a relationship are mutual exclusivity as sexual partners (now, I know that some polyamorous folks might object to that, but I think there's also some parallel train of thought within that way of thinking that assumes some degree of boundaries regarding intimacy with persons outside one's circle, so to speak); mutual respect and care on an ongoing basis, including in cases where one partner suffers a medical crisis or other issue; mutual emotional support both within the household and when engaging with the outside world -- in other words, not disparaging or shaming or making fun of one's partner; presenting as a united front.

I don't think those things extend to demanding that one's partner maintain the same belief system forever and ever, amen, or share the same political ideology, or share the same mindset on any number of things. For one thing, that's not within the power of one person to control in another (and if s/he thinks it is, s/he is delusional); and it's not reasonable. I'm not the same person now that I was 30 or 20 or 10 or even 5 years ago. I think I've changed a lot in the context of being in a committed relationship -- that indeed the relationship itself changes us both over time.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has always been standard words that need to be for the wedding to be legal. How much extra (if at all) registrars would add 40 years ago I have no idea.

I do rememebr as I grew up that civil weddings were considered a bit second best. A factory production line.For people I knew, civil weddings were for the divorced/those who could not afford a church wedding etc
Most girls grew up dreaming about 'walling down the aisle' not because it was church but because of the grand event they made out of it.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Or even 'walking down the aisle'
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

- Posted      Profile for E to the i pi   Email E to the i pi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I think some basic non-secular definitions of faithfulness and commitment within a relationship are mutual exclusivity as sexual partners (now, I know that some polyamorous folks might object to that, but I think there's also some parallel train of thought within that way of thinking that assumes some degree of boundaries regarding intimacy with persons outside one's circle, so to speak); mutual respect and care on an ongoing basis, including in cases where one partner suffers a medical crisis or other issue; mutual emotional support both within the household and when engaging with the outside world -- in other words, not disparaging or shaming or making fun of one's partner; presenting as a united front.

I don't think those things extend to demanding that one's partner maintain the same belief system forever and ever, amen, or share the same political ideology, or share the same mindset on any number of things. For one thing, that's not within the power of one person to control in another (and if s/he thinks it is, s/he is delusional); and it's not reasonable. I'm not the same person now that I was 30 or 20 or 10 or even 5 years ago. I think I've changed a lot in the context of being in a committed relationship -- that indeed the relationship itself changes us both over time.

I'm assuming you mean secular rather than non-secular? I'd also be interested in why you think sexual intimacy should be treated specially as the unique point in which relationships sacrifice freedom for security, and why that alone is assumed not to be going to change?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got married in an Anglican church, and so the promises we made were those included in the Anglican wedding service. As it is now, we made promises to one another, "before God" (who neither of us were all that sure about) and "before this congregation" (family and friends - and we certainly knew them). Making promises to one another in front of the most important other people in our lives was important to us. We wanted them to know for sure what we knew, that we intended to keep them.

Since I've become a Christian, one of the things I've realised is that Registrars may legalise and Churches may solemnise, but essentially people marry each other. Without commitment, there is no marriage. Folks can go through the form "with their fingers crossed" or because "it's the done thing". Neither of those amounts to much unless you mean what you say.

And as I indicated earlier, learning to live with the promises you made, discovering the full meaning of them, is part of the adventure. The time of our lives.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

- Posted      Profile for E to the i pi   Email E to the i pi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Since I've become a Christian, one of the things I've realised is that Registrars may legalise and Churches may solemnise, but essentially people marry each other. Without commitment, there is no marriage. Folks can go through the form "with their fingers crossed" or because "it's the done thing". Neither of those amounts to much unless you mean what you say.

And as I indicated earlier, learning to live with the promises you made, discovering the full meaning of them, is part of the adventure. The time of our lives.

Now that I'd agree with.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Now that I'd agree with.
As gently as I can say this, let me ask: really? Because I'm not sure we're seeing that here.

[ 15. May 2012, 15:27: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As gently as I can say it, cliffdweller, seeing the rightness of an observation doesn't make it easier to live it out. It reads easier than it lives.

Plus this.

I'm not sure it's in keeping with the spirit of having this thread in Purg to inquire too closely about another Shipmate's consistency or integrity. It's not a C3 thing when someone has put personal evidence out there (that's one of the reasons why we advise caution about how much we say about ourselves and our lives on public boards) but these can be delicate and painful personal issues. None of us is wholly consistent.

I'm posting this with my Host hat off, responding as a Shipmate. Hope it's helpful. I'm sure you catch my drift.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As gently as I can say it, cliffdweller, seeing the rightness of an observation doesn't make it easier to live it out. It reads easier than it lives.

Plus this.

I'm not sure it's in keeping with the spirit of having this thread in Purg to inquire too closely about another Shipmate's consistency or integrity. It's not a C3 thing when someone has put personal evidence out there (that's one of the reasons why we advise caution about how much we say about ourselves and our lives on public boards) but these can be delicate and painful personal issues. None of us is wholly consistent.

I'm posting this with my Host hat off, responding as a Shipmate. Hope it's helpful. I'm sure you catch my drift.

Agh, yes, definitely. Actually, I was committing another sin as well: not paying attention to which poster I was responding to, and confusing one for another, so the comment was misplaced anyway. Please accept my apologies cuz the comment is completely unwarranted when directed at you. I hear you as well re: the tendency I and others have had on this thread to respond to a personal situation instead of a general question (where would be the proper forum for that, btw, when a non-hellish but debatable personal question is raised?).

So again, my apologies, and would grateful accept the deletion of the post (and this one) if your hosting should lead you so moved.

[ 15. May 2012, 15:46: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Now that I'd agree with.

As gently as I can say this, let me ask: really? Because I'm not sure we're seeing that here.
To try to expand without drawing back into the personal again, I'd agree:

a) Marriage (and relationships) are between people.
b) They don't work if there isn't commitment.

The last word means many different things to many different people and, I would submit will generally be more than just not dallying with one's secretary as LutheranChick has suggested.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I must be getting old, cliffdweller. I hadn't seen that your comment might also be seen as applying to me!

But thanks for your post anyway. I think it's fine to leave it and its predecessor in place.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

a) Marriage (and relationships) are between people.
b) They don't work if there isn't commitment.

The last word means many different things to many different people and, I would submit will generally be more than just not dallying with one's secretary as LutheranChick has suggested.

That's the nub of the matter. At the extreme end, I'm reminded of Ming's promises to the captive Dale in "Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe". [Plus Brian May of Queen playing Lohengrin - but that's definitely a tangent too far]

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm assuming you mean secular rather than non-secular? I'd also be interested in why you think sexual intimacy should be treated specially as the unique point in which relationships sacrifice freedom for security, and why that alone is assumed not to be going to change?
Well, I'm not sure how "unique" I think sexual fidelity is vis-a-vis other kinds of faithfulness, except that I think it can bring especially messy, potentially devastating complications into a relationship ("surprise" children outside the marriage -- see the current trial of former Presidential candidate John Edwards for a timely example of that; STDs; the lack of trust issue inherent in sneaking behind one's spouse's back for sexual relations with other people) -- to me that's a whole 'nother level of trust/commitment problem than, say, one spouse having a midlife crisis and deciding to change political parties or switch from Christianity to Buddhism or to become a vegetarian.

I'm not sure that changing religions is a matter of that much import, relatively. Now, if someone changes from a benign viewpoint toward others of differing/no faith to a viewpoint of "Turn or burn, sinner!" that might indeed be unacceptable to the other spouse, and I frankly can't fault that person for feeling betrayed and hurt and questioning the foundations of the relationship. I once heard of a case in my state where one spouse got involved in a Christian cult that was heavily into demonology, and began denouncing the other mainline-denominational spouse and the spouse's family as being "possessed," and that whole thing turning into a very ugly, sensationalistic divorce trial. Would I be able to stick with a partner who came to believe that I was a servant of Satan and who, worse yet, started indoctrinating the children to that effect? -- "See Mommy? She's going to hell because she's an unrepentant sinner who hasn't asked Jesus into her heart, and now she belongs to the Devil..." (One of the accusations leveled at the wronged spouse by the hyper-religious spouse in this particular court case.) Frankly, I'd probably have been at least looking up the names of good divorce attorneys at that point.

On the other hand, is it reasonable to label as unfaithful or voiding the marriage contract a simple change of belief over time, if that change is not accompanied by the sort of emotional abuse described above? What if the change actually makes the other spouse more peaceful and grounded and pleasant to be around? If the angry spouse suddenly had his/her own metanoia moment regarding a belief system, would s/he think that a corresponding level of anger and bitterness on the part of the other spouse was justified, or would s/he expect the same deference to his/her beliefs that s/he is demanding of the other spouse now?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
quote:

Well, I'm not sure how "unique" I think sexual fidelity is vis-a-vis other kinds of faithfulness, except that I think it can bring especially messy, potentially devastating complications into a relationship ("surprise" children outside the marriage -- see the current trial of former Presidential candidate John Edwards for a timely example of that; STDs; the lack of trust issue inherent in sneaking behind one's spouse's back for sexual relations with other people) -- to me that's a whole 'nother level of trust/commitment problem than, say, one spouse having a midlife crisis and deciding to change political parties or switch from Christianity to Buddhism or to become a vegetarian.

Doesn't a literal interpolation of those views suggest that if a spouse uses protection, gets regular health checks and tells his or her spouse when he does it so he/she is not sneeking, then an affair is fine providing it makes him or her an easier person to be around? Or have I missed something?
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

I suppose the evidence suggests, strongly, that 'forsaking all others' is 'honoured more in the breech than in the observance'. There is more than a hint of 'woman as property' in traditional male attitudes. 'Hands off, she's mine'. Particularly when dowry systems are in operation.

That being said, Mrs B and I both find the notion of an 'open marriage' yucky. Treating sex purely as a recreational activity, which can be enjoyed with others without doing harm to marriage, just feels wrong. Are our attitudes purely conventional?

I suppose that having seen the pain and suffering caused to many couples over the issue of sexual unfaithfulness, my experience tells me that it is a kind of playing with fire. Our sexual desires are very strong. Attraction, curiosity, a desire for novelty, all seem to be at work. My experience of broken relationships tends to confirm that the effects are toxic. I don't know personally any couple who have a happy, 'open', marriage.

In short, it's one of the areas of life where I think that conventional morality is right, and better observed. Lead us not into temptation is a prayer for our own good.

YMMV

[ 16. May 2012, 22:00: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Bartolomeo

Musical Engineer
# 8352

- Posted      Profile for Bartolomeo   Email Bartolomeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
L*R:
quote:
What I can't understand is why someone would insist on a veto on a spouse's new beliefs or opinions. That seems unfair and frankly unlikely to work...
I sympathize, Bartolomeo; you were in a pretty untenable position. But the question is: Did your veto work? Someone who went harebrained like your spouse did is not going to sit down nicely and say, "Honey, it's occurred to me "that the church is a fundamentally pagan and evil institution that should be destroyed, by force if necessary". Before I adopt that belief, I thought I'd run it by you for approval. What do you think?"

If the belief has not solidified, you might have a chance of persuasion. But unless part of the new belief were total submission to their spouse's will, there would be no power of veto. You could stand by your beliefs, come what may, but that still would not constitute a veto of your partner's thoughts. There could be only pained acceptance, compromise (maybe), constant quarreling, a combination of the above, or a parting of ways. Or...?

No, it wasn't fair. But if someone is of the temperament to adopt extreme opinions, any reasonable prior arrangement for discussion would be dust in the wind.

Ultimately that marriage ended in divorce after my spouse told me that Christ himself had appeared to her in a vision and told her to leave me and pursue a life of chastity. She moved out several days later.

I am now happily married to someone else.

I see this as a positive outcome.

--------------------
"Individual talent is too sporadic and unpredictable to be allowed any important part in the organization society" --Stuart Chase

Posts: 1291 | From: the American Midwest | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bartolomeo

Musical Engineer
# 8352

- Posted      Profile for Bartolomeo   Email Bartolomeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bartolomeo:
quote:
In similar fashion, if the marriage began with the premise of an intellectual atheist and an inactive Christian respecting each others' differences, well, any significant move away from the center of that is going to be disruptive, and it isn't fair (IMO) for one spouse to make such a change unilaterally and insist that the other just accept it.
What I can't understand is why someone would insist on a veto on a spouse's new beliefs or opinions. That seems unfair and frankly unlikely to work; marriage shouldn't be the thought police.
I think there's a line crossed when the new beliefs and opinions reject or trivialize the other spouse and their beliefs. The problem isn't "I believe in God," it's "people who don't believe what I believe are going straight to hell, and you, my dear, are first among them unless you repent."

--------------------
"Individual talent is too sporadic and unpredictable to be allowed any important part in the organization society" --Stuart Chase

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Bartolomeo:
Ultimately that marriage ended in divorce after my spouse told me that Christ himself had appeared to her in a vision and told her to leave me and pursue a life of chastity. She moved out several days later.

Looks like that would make her someone who is "economical with the actualité"

Another version is "God told me we should marry", which in some circles is evo-pente speak for "I really fancy you, but I'm trying to find something godly to say to show that I'm a seriously good catch".

Mind you, it's hard if you're not a believer and you don't know the code.

Seriously, these things are a kind of variation on "all's fair in love and war", to be avoided at all costs by anyone serious about following Christ.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I suppose the evidence suggests, strongly, that 'forsaking all others' is 'honoured more in the breech than in the observance'.

What evidence exactly?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bartolomeo:
quote:

I am now happily married to someone else.

I see this as a positive outcome.

So do I. She was a nut.

But there still isn't a veto. There is persuasion and compromise, and then things might work out. Or there is no persuasion. Then someone stays and is unhappy, or someone flounces.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
I suppose the evidence suggests, strongly, that 'forsaking all others' is 'honoured more in the breech than in the observance'.

What evidence exactly?
Don't think there is any "exact evidence". But I had in mind these kinds of surveys. Plus I admit to a loose choice of words. A significant proportion of married men and women do not "forsake all others". That would have been a more accurate statement, less misleading statement.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
quote:
Bartolomeo:
quote:
In similar fashion, if the marriage began with the premise of an intellectual atheist and an inactive Christian respecting each others' differences, well, any significant move away from the center of that is going to be disruptive, and it isn't fair (IMO) for one spouse to make such a change unilaterally and insist that the other just accept it.
What I can't understand is why someone would insist on a veto on a spouse's new beliefs or opinions. That seems unfair and frankly unlikely to work; marriage shouldn't be the thought police.
I think there's a line crossed when the new beliefs and opinions reject or trivialize the other spouse and their beliefs. The problem isn't "I believe in God," it's "people who don't believe what I believe are going straight to hell, and you, my dear, are first among them unless you repent."
Would someone please be kind enough to define "intellectual atheism" for me? It's not a modifier I've seen used before in this context and I suspect the distinction that springs to my mind (intellectual vs. popular) isn't the one intended.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would someone please be kind enough to define "intellectual atheism" for me? It's not a modifier I've seen used before in this context and I suspect the distinction that springs to my mind (intellectual vs. popular) isn't the one intended.

One definition would be a follower of scientism - as distinct from science. Scientism is a philosophy where you believe science is the only real source of knowledge, and anything outside of the laboratory should be dismissed as superstition.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:

One definition would be a follower of scientism - as distinct from science. Scientism is a philosophy where you believe science is the only real source of knowledge, and anything outside of the laboratory should be dismissed as superstition.
Is that the same as e.g. logical positivism or indeed as scientific empiricism? Also does that imply scientism precludes theism or agnosticism?
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is that the same as e.g. logical positivism or indeed as scientific empiricism? Also does that imply scientism precludes theism or agnosticism?
Yes and yes

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

...although I'm still of the opinion that this thread is most likely an academic exercise rather than a real problem between two real people in a real marriage. I could be wrong, but I know where I'd put my money!

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
...although I'm still of the opinion that this thread is most likely an academic exercise rather than a real problem between two real people in a real marriage. I could be wrong, but I know where I'd put my money!

Unfortunately if that were true then I, my wife and several of our friends would not be as upset as we all are. Although I suppose in one sense you could say ours was a marriage between two academics, we're real provided anything else is.

Can I ask what you find so incredible? That my personal definition of commitment includes something that could be poetically described as "Thou shalt have no Gods before me."?

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
That my personal definition of commitment includes something that could be poetically described as "Thou shalt have no Gods before me."?

Do you really want your spouse thinking of you as a "god"-- however you might define that??

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

Unfortunately if that were true then I, my wife and several of our friends would not be as upset as we all are. Although I suppose in one sense you could say ours was a marriage between two academics, we're real provided anything else is.

Can I ask what you find so incredible? That my personal definition of commitment includes something that could be poetically described as "Thou shalt have no Gods before me."?

Really, it's two reasons

1) Why would an unbeliever air out all his dirty laundry in a christian forum, where most of the people don't even speak the same language as him (metaphorically I mean)?

2) You write in a cool detached way as if it's happining to someone else, and you're the psychologist.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"No other gods before me"? That's a recipe for disaster. You can't insist on being #1. Relationships work when each person puts the other first, but you can't demand that - it has to be a gift.

[ 19. May 2012, 15:51: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
"No other gods before me"? That's a recipe for disaster. You can't insist on being #1. Relationships work when each person puts the other first, but you can't demand that - it has to be a gift.

It sounds like a certain faith's Apostacy law!

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Do you really want your spouse thinking of you as a "god"-- however you might define that??

Nope. Hence using a modified quotation without any form of "other" in it.

quote:
Really, it's two reasons

1) Why would an unbeliever air out all his dirty laundry in a christian forum, where most of the people don't even speak the same language as him (metaphorically I mean)?

2) You write in a cool detached way as if it's happining to someone else, and you're the psychologist.

1) I'm not looking for validation here (that's what my friends give me) and enjoy polite disputation. Just like everyone else I think my laudry is cleaner than other peoples, plus I'm apparently learning a lot of new words for what other groups of people would call me. Although I agree that language is a problem. Practically, not just metaphorically. (E.g. when believers talk of a personal god it always puts me in mind of personal pizzas).
2) That's probably a side effect of my training (in hard science/mathematics, not medicine).

[ 19. May 2012, 16:01: Message edited by: E to the i pi ]

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:
Really, it's two reasons

1) I'm not looking for validation here (that's what my friends give me) and enjoy polite disputation. Just like everyone else I think my laudry is cleaner than other peoples, plus I'm apparently learning a lot of new words for what other groups of people would call me. Although I agree that language is a problem. Practically, not just metaphorically. (E.g. when believers talk of a personal god it always puts me in mind of personal pizzas).
2) That's probably a side effect of my training (in hard science/mathematics, not medicine).

OK, sorry but you wanted me to be frank. There's a third:

3) It sounds an awful lot like role playing: "Let's pretend I'm an atheist spouse whose wife has suddenly got religion, and doesn't know how to handle it."

You'd then study with fascination the sort of responses you got from various shades of christians. You'd poke a stick at them sometimes to provoke them into revealing how their thought processes worked.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
OK, sorry but you wanted me to be frank. There's a third:

3) It sounds an awful lot like role playing: "Let's pretend I'm an atheist spouse whose wife has suddenly got religion, and doesn't know how to handle it."

You'd then study with fascination the sort of responses you got from various shades of christians. You'd poke a stick at them sometimes to provoke them into revealing how their thought processes worked.

There's absolutely no need to apologise. This is the internet, I do realise that kind of thing goes on.
Bartolomeo

Musical Engineer
# 8352

quote:

I would define "intellectual atheism" as a personal conviction that belief in God (or multiple gods or some other higher power) is not only factually wrong but something that actively undermines the superior moral system that is purely a product of logic and reason. Ayn Rand's objectivism is an example, but not the only one.

I don't believe any of that myself but I've encountered it often enough to be able to understand people who do.

--------------------

Bartolomeo

Musical Engineer
# 8352

quote:
But there still isn't a veto. There is persuasion and compromise, and then things might work out. Or there is no persuasion. Then someone stays and is unhappy, or someone flounces.

I see it as a veto insofar as there are extreme views that are not amenable to compromise or discussion. What I mean by veto is that it's not a belief set that someone can retain and expect the relationship to continue.

Anyone who postulates the existence of a choice between God and spouse has already decided that the relationship is over.

[ 19. May 2012, 17:52: Message edited by: Bartolomeo ]

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I would define "intellectual atheism" as a personal conviction that belief in God (or multiple gods or some other higher power) is not only factually wrong but something that actively undermines the superior moral system that is purely a product of logic and reason....

Which begs the question, how does any sort of moral system (let alone one which is "superior") derive from logic and reason?

Over to you E to the i pi... (actually anyone can answer)

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
Which begs the question, how does any sort of moral system (let alone one which is "superior") derive from logic and reason?

If you're really interested in my personal opinions then:

i) No system of logic alone is going to derive a moral code or system of ethics (whether there is a difference between the two is another question).
ii) Given a couple of extra axioms (e.g. the Golden Rule) then, depending on the axioms, it's either possible or trivial, but being axiomatic these starting conditions are of course not in themselves logical. Indeed portions of many religious works consist of attempting to logically extend the axioms assumed provided by their higher power into a useful moral code.
iii) In this sense only truly rational philosophy of live is an absolute agnosticism (even as to whether life itself exists) that doesn't really provide any useful message as to what to do in any particular situation.
iv) No follower of a coherent philosophy of life ever believes it to be unreasonable.

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

If you're really interested in my personal opinions then:

i) No system of logic alone is going to derive a moral code or system of ethics (whether there is a difference between the two is another question).
ii) Given a couple of extra axioms (e.g. the Golden Rule) then, depending on the axioms, it's either possible or trivial, but being axiomatic these starting conditions are of course not in themselves logical. Indeed portions of many religious works consist of attempting to logically extend the axioms assumed provided by their higher power into a useful moral code.
iii) In this sense only truly rational philosophy of live is an absolute agnosticism (even as to whether life itself exists) that doesn't really provide any useful message as to what to do in any particular situation.
iv) No follower of a coherent philosophy of life ever believes it to be unreasonable.

Well... I did ask! [brick wall]

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

...but it sure doesn't sound much like "hard science/maths" to me!

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:

In that case you should really read up on eg. Euclidean geometry. It requires five axioms to be held true to be able to then logically construct most of what people innately hold to be true about shapes. Or you could try Russell's Principia Mathematica but that takes many tens of pages to reach 1+1=2.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

In that case you should really read up on eg. Euclidean geometry. It requires five axioms to be held true to be able to then logically construct most of what people innately hold to be true about shapes. Or you could try Russell's Principia Mathematica but that takes many tens of pages to reach 1+1=2.
OK - so it sounds like the supposed origins of religion/morals/ethics (which I would have thought of as a "soft" science) actually overlaps into "hard" science/maths, yes?

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
OK - so it sounds like the supposed origins of religion/morals/ethics (which I would have thought of as a "soft" science) actually overlaps into "hard" science/maths, yes?

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. Formal logic is certainly a prime mover in both philosophy and mathematics, although of course the context is slightly different. Previously the gap between philosopher and natural philosopher hasn't always been as large as is assumed today. Pythagoras combined a secret mystic school of mathematics with a religion based on beans. Or look at Aristotle, who seems to have had fans from both sides of the cultural divide, although both groups now see his opinions as outdated or wrong.
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. Formal logic is certainly a prime mover in both philosophy and mathematics, although of course the context is slightly different. Previously the gap between philosopher and natural philosopher hasn't always been as large as is assumed today. Pythagoras combined a secret mystic school of mathematics with a religion based on beans. Or look at Aristotle, who seems to have had fans from both sides of the cultural divide, although both groups now see his opinions as outdated or wrong.
I'm not really making any point, just trying to establish a relationship between (a) your answer to how any sort of moral system derives from logic and reason, and (b) the subjects you read at university.

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
I'm not really making any point, just trying to establish a relationship between (a) your answer to how any sort of moral system derives from logic and reason, and (b) the subjects you read at university.

Oh I see. In which case the connection is an understanding of the basic principles of formal logic from having read maths. I admit my later career in mathematics and geophysics has less innate connection.

Does this mean that you see moral systems as innately illogical then? That sounds frightening like the people who say "If it were true there is no God then there would be no reason for me not to kill you".

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:

Oh I see. In which case the connection is an understanding of the basic principles of formal logic from having read maths. I admit my later career in mathematics and geophysics has less innate connection.

Does this mean that you see moral systems as innately illogical then? That sounds frightening like the people who say "If it were true there is no God then there would be no reason for me not to kill you".

I've never heard anyone say that - but it has been suggested that such peoples' (atheists) motive for being good (or appearing to be good) might just be self serving. It has crossed my mind too.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

To be fair, I'm not certain Christians' motives for doing good aren't ever self-serving. At least mine are sometimes. Or always.

[ 19. May 2012, 22:35: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

E to the i pi
Shipmate
# 16762

quote:
I've never heard anyone say that - but it has been suggested that such peoples' (atheists) motive for being good (or appearing to be good) might just be self serving. It has crossed my mind too.

It seems to be a surprisingly common counterargument to the non-existence of gods used by the hard of thinking.

If you believe that good can only be done in the name of a higher power then of course by your definition atheists can never do good. Of course this then assumes that your version of truth is the single absolute which pretty much removes any possibility of dialogue.

Does this mean that you do think ethics are innately illogical, or that you think the question makes no sense?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016