homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bad Trinity

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bad Trinity
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trinity Sunday is a time for shamrocks, a time for Neapolitan ice-cream, a time for even dodgier analogies that purport to explain the Trinity in simple terms but which on not-very-close inspection turn out to be basically Modalism, tritheism or "something else".

I once nearly preached a sermon saying that the Trinity was like those teenagers in "Battle Of The Planets" ("G-Force" to youngsters or "Gatchaman" to manga aficionados) who could assemble themselves together into a fiery phoenix - "Dedicated, Inseparable, Invincible".

Unfortunately - well, fortunately, really - I realised just in time that

a) there were five of them
b) that a) wasn't even the main problem

So what is the worst "explanation" of the Trinity you have ever encountered?

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard a sermon by a priest who admitted he'd been listening to the basketball play-offs the day before when he should have been preparing his sermon. He compared the Holy Trinity to our city's basketball team. (Nope, it didn't work.)
[Disappointed]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Trinity Sunday is a time for shamrocks, a time for Neapolitan ice-cream, a time for even dodgier analogies that purport to explain the Trinity in simple terms but which on not-very-close inspection turn out to be basically Modalism, tritheism or "something else".

At the risk of heading for Purgatory, isn't that telling us something?

quote:
I once nearly preached a sermon saying that the Trinity was like those teenagers in "Battle Of The Planets" ("G-Force" to youngsters or "Gatchaman" to manga aficionados) who could assemble themselves together into a fiery phoenix - "Dedicated, Inseparable, Invincible".
I so want to hear that sermon...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:

At the risk of heading for Purgatory, isn't that telling us something?
That it's a difficult concept and people are too intellectually lazy to get it right?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It's a difficult concept and people are too intellectually lazy to get it right?

It's intellectual laziness that after two thousand years of kicking the idea about, no-one can give a straightforward explanation of it?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It's a difficult concept and people are too intellectually lazy to get it right?

It's intellectual laziness that after two thousand years of kicking the idea about, no-one can give a straightforward explanation of it?
One God. Three Persons. Next?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

The premise of this thread is that (a) that concept needs explaining, and (b) most of the time the explanation is crap.

Your turn.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well... that isn't really the premise of this thread... this is more a "point and laugh" sort of thread... or a "chuckle in a tolerant manner" thread if you are especially fluffy.

There is already a thriving Purg thread on the Trinity I think?

I did try to rescue my sermon BTW by making it about the Church instead of the Trinity. I asked a Catholic friend whether he thought it was OK to call the Church "Dedicated, Inseparable, Invincible" and he said that it would be much better to call it "One, Holy and Apostolic".

Only about three people heard the sermon and the only feedback I got was "Well... it went on... a WHILE...."

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

Apologies. I didn't intend to hijack your thread!

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dodgy explanation of the Trinity? Not the genuine article, but has anyone seen Nuns on the Run? I can't remember the details and the youtube clip is being blocked I assume for copyright reasons, but the scene where Robbie Coltrane tries to explain it to a class of curious 17-year-old girls is the epitome of dodgy.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Dodgy explanation of the Trinity? Not the genuine article, but has anyone seen Nuns on the Run? I can't remember the details and the youtube clip is being blocked I assume for copyright reasons, but the scene where Robbie Coltrane tries to explain it to a class of curious 17-year-old girls is the epitome of dodgy.

I had just thought of that! I can't find it on Youtube, but the dialogue is here (scroll down a bit).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm correct in saying that the sport of cricket was devised as a means of explaining the Trinity. You decide if it's good or bad.
Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
... the sport of cricket was devised as a means of explaining the Trinity ...

You mean this explains it? [Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the link to "St Patrick's bad analogies" (from "Lutheran Satire") on the anlicanmemes website is excellent - perhaps it ought to be on the Purg thread.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't find the exact quote, but in Alan Bennett's 40 Years On, the boys satirise the Headmaster's RE lesson something like this:

The Trinity? Three in one, one in three. Perfectly straightforward! If you want to know any more, ask your maths teacher.

Works for me, although I'm no good at maths.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016