homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Style over Substance (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Style over Substance
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry! 'treading' of course.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I offer you duvet covers. If a simple-to-change version cannot be devised, can a world standard version at least be adopted?

Like this perhaps?
It looks interesting although there's no exact match for the US queen size and it's polyester. But I was stopped by the description of the bed runner. Does that serve any purpose other than to be thrown on the floor? Is it just a hotel idea gone wrong?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
erm... crotchless panties. I'd rather go commando.

(yes, yes, I know. but if I don't lower the tone of the conversation, who will?)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Agreed!

The whole point of panties is the crotch!

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... iced tea is an Abomination Unto the Sight of God™

I defy you to say that about my iced tea with tonic.
'iced tea with tonic' -- please explain!
Cold, strong Assam tea - with absolutely no sugar - ice, crushed sprig of mint, slice of lemon or lime and tonic water. You can also add mint when you originally make the tea, if you like.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

(yes, yes, I know. but if I don't lower the tone of the conversation, who will?)

[Roll Eyes] That was for the bunny poo I scattered in Hell, wasn't it? [Biased]

Cracker Barrel rocking chairs. They are pretty on the porch, and look comfy. That would be for the people who are much taller than me. That's why I love my antique rocker that fits my short legs perfectly.

There are a lot of things sold that seem to assume that tall folks are the only consumers.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
There are a lot of things sold that seem to assume that tall folks are the only consumers.

Hear hear!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, standard height sinks & work surfaces are definitely not designed with the tall in mind

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Cracker Barrel rocking chairs. They are pretty on the porch, and look comfy. That would be for the people who are much taller than me.[/QB]

IIRC Cracker Barrel rocking chairs will actually rock, which is an improvement over the rocking chair I was given when pregnant, which was designed in such a way that it wouldn't rock! It didn't long encumber apartment for very long.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
On the other hand, standard height sinks & work surfaces are definitely not designed with the tall in mind

Or the short.

When I work at a kitchen counter I have to raise my shoulders up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] That was for the bunny poo I scattered in Hell, wasn't it? [Biased]
payback's a bitch, ain't it? [Razz]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet! [Snigger]

Another short person problem. I finally broke down and replaced my broken down mattress. Hoo boy. Then I had to buy a step stool to get into the thing.

So far it's OK, but I almost fell getting out of it last week, and have thought I might have to get rid of the bed frame and just put the mattress and box spring on the floor.

Who ever thought having a tall, tall bed was a good idea? I'm no princess, and there's no pea hidden underneath.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'd have thought that crotchless panties are devoid of both style AND substance?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We recently got a new, deeper mattress. It is lovely and comfortable but near impossible to buy fitted sheets for, especially as our bed is a vintage small double.

Joining the short persons here, I am 4 foot 11. My bright red kickstool in the kitchen is one of the best investments I have ever made. Yet I still can't reach the shelf above the cupboard where my husband insists on putting the spare mixing bowls [Roll Eyes]

[ 22. August 2013, 12:29: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comet! [Snigger]

Another short person problem. I finally broke down and replaced my broken down mattress. Hoo boy. Then I had to buy a step stool to get into the thing.

So far it's OK, but I almost fell getting out of it last week, and have thought I might have to get rid of the bed frame and just put the mattress and box spring on the floor.

Who ever thought having a tall, tall bed was a good idea? I'm no princess, and there's no pea hidden underneath.

They now sell box spring mattresses that are half the depth of the old ones to go with the new style of mattresses.

I still have a regular mattress and cannot find sheets that aren't way too deep. Have had to resort to funny elastic clips to keep the fitted sheet on the bed.

[ 22. August 2013, 13:36: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 3ft6in wide bed. Normal depth. Why don't double sheets tuck in properly at top and bottom? I tried the elastic things - didn't work. I have to buy king size - doing sides to middle when the time comes won't be a problem.

I'm not even trying fitted.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IKEA sell sheets with larger proportions.

[ 22. August 2013, 14:01: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
...I still can't reach the shelf above the cupboard where my husband insists on putting the spare mixing bowls [Roll Eyes]

I keep our spare mixing bowls on the counter by the dining room pass-through on the chrome-plated 1952 Dormeyer industrial mixer I inherited or under the counter next to the fridge. The only things I keep on high shelves are olive oil, whisky or extra wine and I have to stand on tip-toe to reach them: I am 5'-10".

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
IKEA sell sheets with larger proportions.

Yup, that's where the last one came from, I'd forgotten that - dyed it to the right colour myself.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Or the short.

When I work at a kitchen counter I have to raise my shoulders up.

Moo

Sloping kitchen units, that's the idea, so the short can use one end and the tall the other, what's wrong with that? Apart from when you are baking and put down the rolling pin, and it disappears down the other end. No, on second thoughts, that's not going to work.

Let's try some lateral thinking.... how about a kitchen with a sloping floor?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certain brands of bagless vacuum cleaner with so many filters to clean that it would be quicker to change the bloody bag [Disappointed]

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
... iced tea is an Abomination Unto the Sight of God™

I defy you to say that about my iced tea with tonic.
'iced tea with tonic' -- please explain!
Cold, strong Assam tea - with absolutely no sugar - ice, crushed sprig of mint, slice of lemon or lime and tonic water. You can also add mint when you originally make the tea, if you like.
Thank you. That sounds rather tasty!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thank you. That sounds rather tasty!

It still wants GIN. Hold the tea!

If you must drink iced tea, drink sugarlessly sweetened green tea with ginseng or pomegranate as I do....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
About 50% of stuff in cookshops.

A spoon rest? An egg-slicer? An egg yolk separator? [Disappointed]

I have an egg-slicer and I use it regularly! Sure, I don't need it, I could live without it, but ... it's just so nifty. And it just goes in the deep drawer with a bunch of other kitchen stuff, so it's not taking up extra room. I like nice slices of egg on salads, and the egg-slicer also makes it easier to squish up boiled eggs for egg salad sandwiches.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
and the egg-slicer also makes it easier to squish up boiled eggs for egg salad sandwiches.

Indeed it does.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

We don't need one: we never have egg salad. We have eggs three times a week and what I could use is a bacon-slice splitter - my wife cooks the eggs in grease after I cook the bacon but today's Farmer John bacon is too long for even the largest frying pan!

[brick wall]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All you people having woes with your bedding know you could just use flat sheets, right? Pulled tight, hospital corners, stays put forever.

rouge (one-time hotel employee)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We don't need one: we never have egg salad. We have eggs three times a week and what I could use is a bacon-slice splitter - my wife cooks the eggs in grease after I cook the bacon but today's Farmer John bacon is too long for even the largest frying pan!

[brick wall]

Two choices
  • Kitchen scissors (dead useful, they are)
  • Sharp knives (whatever will they think of next?)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Induction hobs. Should be renamed deduction - since you are required to guess why, when you have worked out the sequence of buttons which turns it on and selects a plate, all you get is a flashing 'F'. While this suggests a monosyllable which you will use freely from now on, it doesn't really point to placing a pan on there (faucepan? fookware?). Still less does it hint that not just any old saucepan, but a particular sort. And it is totally silent on the point that few if any of the ones in the cupboards of this here holiday cottage are such.

Bitter? Moi?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
All you people having woes with your bedding know you could just use flat sheets, right? Pulled tight, hospital corners, stays put forever.

rouge (one-time hotel employee)

Do use flat sheets - and hospital corners. Where I differ from a hotel is that I don't redo them every day, just smooth things over. And the shorter sheets pull out.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:

Kitchen scissors (dead useful, they are)

Precisely what I use at this point in time! Bloody greasy though....

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

That's what dish detergent is for, Sir Kevin! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016