homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Engineer This! (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Engineer This!
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
9. Stepstool to reach the shelf that is just out of reach.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
9. Wine storage!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How radical of you, Sir Kevin! [Biased]

10. As a fundraising game for church fetes - mark each section with a different number and score points when you try to pot Ping-Pong balls. Highest score of the afternoon wins a prize.

Piece of tinfoil.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1. You can make a hat to keep out the voices. So I hear. [Paranoid]

[ 23. May 2013, 22:52: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2. Shiny wrapping paper for a present.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
3. Something to keep the pan of your broiler cleaner

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
4. Make little people! [Big Grin]
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
5 Scrunch some (little or much as required) around the base of a candle to prevent it wobbling

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
6. I used to make simulated aircraft wreckage for the Search and Rescue team to locate.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
7. Tinsel for your Christmas Tree.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"base", not bass. See #5

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
8. DIY electromagnetic shielding for your purse/wallet, to prevent unwanted reading of your contactless credit/debit card.

(recently recommended on BBC Radio 4...)

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
9. Use it to sharpen your scissors.
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

10) Step on it to make a copy of your shoe print for the Search and Rescue team in case you get lost.

next up, a wooden pencil

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

1. Something for the kindergarteners to keep the teacher busy with.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2. Flagpole for sandcastle.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

3) When I had to improvise a battery charger for my calculator in a logging camp in Alaska, it included the lead in a pencil with two clips to slide along it to adjust the output level.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
4. Emergency chopstick!

(As demonstrated on the old "Barney Miller" police sitcom.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
5. Create a tree rubbing.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
6. A weapon! Seriously! I once used a pencil to defend myself from a very aggressive bum who was harassing me in downtown Seattle. I kept warning him and he kept ignoring me... I put it into his exposed arm. With force.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
7. Emergency knitting needle.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

8. Debugging electronic circuits.

My team leader came down to the lab one day and found me sitting in front of $100K of fancy test equipment running the tip of a pencil around the traces on a circuit board. "We need to add a part... here." We did, and the board started working properly. That was not a technique she had learned at university for some reason.

[ 02. July 2013, 19:36: Message edited by: Carex ]

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

9. Lubricating a stuck zip. Just rub the graphite up and down the teeth.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

10. The stem of a pinwheel.

A wok that's scene better days.

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leave it on a bench on a nearby green - it'll be a wok in the park!

No, seriously,

1. Upside down on my head, my new chapeau.

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

2. Leave it under a dripping tap in the garden as a watering spot for birds and other animals.

My grandfather used to plow up Native American grinding rocks occasionally in his orchard - basically a rock about the size of a bowling ball with a hole worked in one side to use as a mortar for grinding acorns. These were placed under water taps around the farm, and my mother brought one with her for our garden.

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
3. Polish it well. Use it to concentrate the sun's rays and place your solar cell at the focus.

Carex - very interesting! Wish I had one of those...

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

4. Panning (woking?) for gold.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

5. A bad substitute for a frisbee.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
6. A coracle for a doll.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
7 An irresistible bed for a cat

Eleven months is a long time for a little thread in the circus to keep going without a rest. Before someone calls in the RSPCT, I'm going to prepare a resting place for this one for the time being and give you all chance to hone your creative juices on engineering some new ideas for games we can play in the meantime.

Smudgie - Circus Host

That was number seven... we'll give it to number 10 [Smile] So come one... three more uses for an old wok.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

8. a replacement satellite dish

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
9. An dance partner for when you have the irrepressible urge to wok around the clock.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10. Hang it up by one handle from a tree, it becomes a redneck rifle target, complete with that nice little "ping" when you hit it! The ricochet should make things even more fun, right?

Okay, enough dubious ideas. Time to take this one out back and shoot it. Have more fun elsewhere.

Thread CLOSED
—Ariston, Circus Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thread opened and closed again.
Because I can.
[Big Grin]

THREAD CLOSED
SMUDGIE - CIRCUS HOST

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Boomerangs - what are they good for>

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not much, really.

And Smudgekins, close the gate already! Clown move, bro. Clown move.

Thread CLOSED...at least until IF decides to get in on the action.
—Ariston, The Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016