homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Back and Forth: The Tennis Thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Back and Forth: The Tennis Thread
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:final bump:

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wondered what had happened to this thread.

Startling results in the Wimbledon Women's Singles - following Serena's exit, now Kvitova goes out to Flipkens (who couldn't even qualify last year).

I think Lisicki might even win it now.

The Men's singles? Novak is playing "lights out", never seen him so good, and although Berdych is tough on paper, I think he'll be out. Andy has a great record against Verdasco, but looks like his back is playing up again. If he wins, there's a small (actually 2 metres tall) Pole who is looking tough too. Andy will do well to make the final again.

But I'd be surprised if Novak doesn't win this year. He just looks a lot better than anyone else.

[ 02. July 2013, 20:48: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just like old days. Murray's match today was reminiscent of lots of Henman "white knuckle" rides. He did very well to get through. He'll have further trouble with that big Pole on Friday, I think.

Djokovic very impressive again, but del Potro was amazing. If the physios can keep him going, he could give Novak a scare or two.

Should be a competitive Friday.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bartoli/Flipkens match was rather disappointing, particularly after the excitement of the Murray match the day before. But all was not lost, as Lisiki and Radwanska treated us to today's 'Will she, won't she?' match. Like Murray, Lisiki kept us guessing, until the last possible moment, whether she would make it through.

My favourite is definitely Lisiki for the title, although I shall very much enjoy watching Bartoli doing her little 'ants in her pants and fly swatting' routine between points again!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see del Potro - practically playing with a broken leg - holding off Djokovic.

I'm not totally sure Murray can see off the ten-foot Pole.

But anyway, Djokovic is going to win it this year.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tuning in right after The Archers. Bummed that Serena went out. I think Sloane was still around last time I looked in...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I'm tuning in right after The Archers. Bummed that Serena went out. I think Sloane was still around last time I looked in...

That must have been a while ago. It's Bartoli and Lisicki for the final tomorrow.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I can't see del Potro - practically playing with a broken leg - holding off Djokovic.

Neither could anyone, but he put up a heck of a fight. What do they make tennis players out of these days? Imagine asking a fast bowler to bowl for two sessions, with no relief from another at the other end?
quote:

I'm not totally sure Murray can see off the ten-foot Pole.

But anyway, Djokovic is going to win it this year.

Murray wasn't totally comfortable but he did OK.

If the final was to be held tomorrow I'd give him a chance (like the Olympic final, in which he played a tired opponent), but it isn't, so he hasn't.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lisiki cried when she won a point and cried when she lost a point. It was only towards the end of the match that she finally beefed up and gave the audience what they had come to see - some sort of competition. Huge respect for Bertoli, to just keep steadily plugging away until she was victorious.

It should be a wonderful final tomorrow, Murray vs. Djokovich, with some masterful play. Let's hope so.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You couldn't help feeling sorry for Lisicki; having conquered Serena Williams, she seemed to be completely outclassed by Bertoli.

My blood pressure's already going up for tomorrow, and I won't even be able to watch it live, as it starts at 10:30 our time, and like all dedicated choristers*, ( [Devil] ) I'll be otherwise occupied.

I should be able to catch it on the TSN Encore, assuming it doesn't go on all night ...

* well, ones who are married to the organist [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I say.

Well, that was tough.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
Oh, I say ...

I hope Dan Maskell was watching from Heaven.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

and again I say

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused]
We have waited a few years, but the boy did good.
[Overused]
My word though, playing like that in that heat!
[Overused]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Fantastic match, wonderful nail-biting finish! I truly feel a part of history now I've seen Virginia Wade AND Andy Murray win Wimbledon!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Put like that, you're making me feel old; I remember Virginia Wade winning too. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Put like that, you're making me feel old; I remember Virginia Wade winning too. [Big Grin]

My excuse is that I was just a few days short of my 5th birthday; it is my first memory of a public event (that or the Silver Jubilee street party!).

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Scary thing is, when I go to Scrabble club this week, there will be at least 2 women there who will be reminiscing about when they saw Fred Perry win. [Eek!]

For people who don't follow the Anti-Murray thread in Hell, here's a little comedy interlude about the other famous Scottish tennis champ. [Biased]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather liked:
"He is the first British man to win Wimbledon in short trousers."
The Daily Telegraph 8 July 2013.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<bump>

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Can I recommend the Wimbledon Tennis Museum to anyone who hasn't visited it yet? I spent 6 hours there a week or so ago and still didn't see everything. There is film footage and memorabilia stretching from the very beginnings of tennis as a game, right through to the present day. Highlights were, for me, to go onto centre court and see the Murray final score writ large, and also to see Murray's name engraved on the Gentlemen's Singles Trophy. 2013 really is a good year to visit.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

<forehand cross-court return>

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016