homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Furry Family Members (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Furry Family Members
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitten Day has arrived, and Jasmine & Daisy are now in residence. They're a bit wary of us and their new surroundings, but after a brief explore of the living-room, they've both conked out fast asleep together, hidden behind an armchair.
Jasmine seems a bit less worried, and keener on being handles and stroked than Daisy, but they've only been here an hour or so, so it's early days. So tiny, sweet, vulnerable and fragile!

If anyone's got a suggestion for where is a good place to post photos I can link to here, I can post some.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is so hard, Judy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{JJ, Daughter-Unit and Snickerdoodle}} [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gypsy has been with us for a week today - it's been great fun! I have loved every minute.

I have started a blog about her - in my sig.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snickerdoodle is taking his journey to the Rainbow Bridge this evening. His very kind vet is opening his office after hours so both D-U and her hubby can be there. I will be, too.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

For Snickerdoodle and all who will miss him.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{JJ, D-U and Mr. D-U}}

[Votive] RIP Snickerdoodle.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers and love xxx ooo

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and love. D-U says to thank you, too.

Even though this was heartbreaking, it was the right thing to do. Snicks had to fight for each breath and had no strength. God bless his very kind vet.

[Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] jedijudy [Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear, jedijudy. RIP Snickerdoodle.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so sorry to hear about Snickerdoodle, JJ.
Sometimes it is the kindest thing, but knowing that doesn't make it any easier...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found a visitor this evening. I thought I heard the tap dripping so went to the kitchen to have a look and it turns out some plastic packaging that had fallen on the floor was being rustled by a murine guest. The little blighter ran through a small gap between a cupboard and and the washing machine before I could get near.

Should I go looking for a little nipper mousetrap do you think?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
Found a visitor this evening. I thought I heard the tap dripping so went to the kitchen to have a look and it turns out some plastic packaging that had fallen on the floor was being rustled by a murine guest. The little blighter ran through a small gap between a cupboard and and the washing machine before I could get near.

Should I go looking for a little nipper mousetrap do you think?

A humane one that doesn't kill him, please. [Votive]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over a week ago a dog got into my garden and spooked my 2 cats, and then got into a neighbours garden and spooked their black cat Charlie even more, so much that he disappeared. Today, on my drive to the allotment, I saw a black cat that hissed at me when I went up to him (Charlie's usual greeting) and attacked me when I managed to get hold of him (I have old scars from this particular cat), and together with the tell-tale gash in his ear this all confirmed it was him. I got him into the car (onlookers must have thought I was cat-napping!) and got him home to a very relieved family who he greeted much more calmly than he did me. I'll be glad to see him tomorrow when he calls in for his 2nd breakfast.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Over a week ago a dog got into my garden and spooked my 2 cats, and then got into a neighbours garden and spooked their black cat Charlie even more, so much that he disappeared. Today, on my drive to the allotment, I saw a black cat that hissed at me when I went up to him (Charlie's usual greeting) and attacked me when I managed to get hold of him (I have old scars from this particular cat), and together with the tell-tale gash in his ear this all confirmed it was him. I got him into the car (onlookers must have thought I was cat-napping!) and got him home to a very relieved family who he greeted much more calmly than he did me. I'll be glad to see him tomorrow when he calls in for his 2nd breakfast.

Like!

Mrs. S, who has known cats like this [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

*worries about the mouse*

[Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good on you, Daisydaisy! [Overused]

CM, I can understand your squeamishness/soft-heartedness regarding Little Visitors™, but we get them all the time* and much as we'd rather not harm them, we've found that they just jump over the humane traps (and sometimes the spring-loaded ones too).

* Our next-door neighbours have three fairly evil-looking cats, and there are several others in our road, so the mice look at our house and think, "Ooh - cat-free zone!" ... [Help]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Indeed, I wish there was a way to magically teleport them to a grassy field far away or something, where they could cavort appropriately.

I thought no-kill traps pretty much were one-way boxes that one could then use to safely release them elsewhere (or keep them as pets in their dedicated Habitrail, or raise them into one's own army of mice AND TAKE OVER THE WORLLLLD ahem sorry)... [Confused] But I know little of the ways of controlling mice and of course you don't want to have then being pests and getting into cupboards and things, so I shall try to understand.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have one, you have five (at least); and I'm told there's no mercy in taking them out into a field etc. because they are house mice and don't really know how to survive there. (Someone can tell me I'm wrong!) But I fear you'd just be getting them right back in the house again (no house so tight a mouse cannot get in), or else an owl would thank you for a free dinner.

and since the cute wee things are incontinent (like, everywhere and at all times), you really don't want them running over your countertops etc.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
and since the cute wee things are incontinent

Adding new meaning to "cute wee things" (he said, abruptly snickering like a six-year-old you said wee ha ha ha etc.). [Razz]

I wonder if there could be some sort of contraption that would give mice a nice home to live in contentedly and would keep them from infesting a house. Maybe this is one of those "not till the New Creation, alas" situations.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We once had one land in an open, unused tall spaghetti jar that was standing on the floor in our kitchen and couldn't get out.

In instances like that, and if we catch them in humane traps, D. takes them and releases them near the house of somebody we don't like ... [Devil]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I wonder if there could be some sort of contraption that would give mice a nice home to live in contentedly and would keep them from infesting a house.

There would very quickly be a population explosion. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
There would very quickly be a population explosion. [Frown]

Poor babies. [Frown] This may be something that won't be right until Heaven, then. (Where I trust they, too, will wind up.)

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Update: I bought one of these on Saturday afternoon, baited it with a chocolate hobnob and left it by the gap next to the washing machine where the mouse disappeared to.

So far the only to spring the trap was me, forgetting it was there. Thankfully, I was wearing trainers at the time. Otherwise I might have lost a toe.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago when I had field mice in my basement, I set spring traps, and the mice carefully removed the bait without getting caught. I then resorted to tying the bait to the trap with dental floss.

I caught quite a few mice that way.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
... This may be something that won't be right until Heaven, then. (Where I trust they, too, will wind up.)

Really???

I'm rather hoping that there won't be any mice in Heaven - at least not in my bit of it. [Eek!]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chastmastr, you're the C S Lewis fan, don't you know his bit about mice in That Hideous Strength? "People want crumbs removed, mice want to remove crumbs" The idea being in the perfect world we will work together like that.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Chastmastr, you're the C S Lewis fan, don't you know his bit about mice in That Hideous Strength? "People want crumbs removed, mice want to remove crumbs" The idea being in the perfect world we will work together like that.

Absolutely, but I didn't want to derail the thread into "CM frets about mice," so I let it drop. And yes, I imagine something like that. <3 mousies <3

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok was just worried you'd missed out on it somehow.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fuffy is behaving as though she doesn't know me. Won't come in, even to eat, runs away when I come close and struggles if I pick her up.

She doesn't look sick, maybe she's just messing with my mind [Confused]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry to say that Gwenny, our Aby kitten, was killed by a dog this afternoon.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awful. So sorry, St. Gwladys. [Votive]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh St Gwladys, I am so sorry.
Love to you all.

[Votive]

[ 12. August 2014, 19:15: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
piglet:
quote:
In instances like that, and if we catch them in humane traps, D. takes them and releases them near the house of somebody we don't like ... [Devil]

Be very careful about that. Not so long ago, there was a guy downriver about 15 km., who got rid of visiting raccoons by catching them in live traps and transporting them up the valley.

Oddly enough, there was another guy who found he had too many raccoons, so he (rimshot) caught them in live traps and drove them down the valley.

I think there were actually only about two or three raccoons, who must have enjoyed the scenic drive every so often.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry St Gwladys.

I've heard from a hosta-breeder of homing snails - bucket loads were taken to a wood a few miles away on a regular basis. After a while she wondered if she was imagining that they looked familiar, so she put a dab of nail varnish on some of the shells. And found out she was't imagining it - they were getting home.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
I think there were actually only about two or three raccoons, who must have enjoyed the scenic drive every so often.

[Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
homing snails

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

St. G., so sorry to hear about Gwenny. [Tear]

RIP

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too, it's horrible to lose a kitten like that, we lost our cat to a dog when I was a child [Frown]

So sad.

Today we pick up our dogs after our holiday... So looking forward to seeing them, they've been spoiled rotten by my sister's family. Then tomorrow fetching ferret.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
.... Then tomorrow fetching ferret.

Oooh - I love ferrets and hope to have some soonish (not sure if cats and ferrets can co-exist). A neighbour uses his for rabbit hunting, but mine would have a much lazier life. I had a long chat with some ferret racers at the New Forest Show and realise it's a distinct possibility now, rather than a dream.
Any ferret tips, Taliesin?

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear of your loss St G.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

(((St. Gwladys))) [Frown]
I'm so sorry. That's so horrible.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Gwladys, so sorry to hear your awful news. Poor Gwenny. And poor you.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh St Gwladys - I am so very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all your concern. We've been in touch with Gwenny's breeder and have been told that Gwenny's big sister is expecting kittens in September, so we are expecting that we will be making a trip to the Forest of Dean again before Christmas.

On the subject of ferrets, we once had a semi-tame ferret - Sam would bite as soon as look at you, but was great fun, and left us with a great fondness for ferrets.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an additional snippet on Sam the ferret, he managed to co-exist with the two cats we then had, so it is possible. Mostly the cats kept out of his way.

And to be fair to Sam, I don't think he was malicious - just didn't know how much damage his bite could do!

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of ferrets, a very old clip featuring a very young Richard Whiteley and a ferret.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
regarding my ferret, does anyone want him?

He is so terribly lonely now, without his friend, the older ferret we got him to be a friend for.

He is only 3, lively, full of fun, litterbox trained and very people friendly. I would travel anywhere in the uk to bring him to the right home.
He needs either other ferrets, or other small furry animal - he'd be fine with a small dog I think - or a human who wants to take him out his cage most days. My son has turned 16 and discovered a world beyond his bedroom...

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my big spoiled neutered male cat doesn't think I'm wathcing, he plays with the kittens....bless his fuzzy thumping little heart...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016