homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Furry Family Members (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Furry Family Members
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] It is always hard to say goodbye to those furry friends who have a place in our hearts, even if you know you are doing the "right" thing for them.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of you no prophet.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry NP.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HELP!!! My girlfriend accidentally gave one of our cats an entire Benadryl capsule! She was only supposed to give him half and for the last thirty minutes he has been howling piteously and threw up three times. At present he is hiding behind a chair in a bedroom, foam all over his chin. Oh my God, I am sooooo freaked out!

The really horrible thing is we have NO money in our bank account to take him to the veterinarian... dear God, please pray for us and tell me that he'll be okay???!
[Waterworks]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Google informs me that the correct dosage of Benadryl for cats is 1-2 mg per lb of cat, so do some math... what's the weight of the cat and the size of the dosage in the capsule?

That being said, since the cat's thrown up three times, how much of the dose could be left at this point?

I hope it was plain Benadryl without any Tylenol in it?

Edited to add, google also informs me that the foaming is normal for cats given benadryl.

[ 18. November 2012, 18:39: Message edited by: Nicolemr ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Also found this about benadryl overdoses in cats, including a phone number to call for advice:

quote:
Like humans, cats can experience fatigue and clumsiness while taking diphenhydramine. This side-effect can be more noticeable if the cat has experienced a mild overdose, but it should pass within a few hours. In more severe overdose cases, the cat will experience seizures and difficulty breathing. Without treatment, severe overdoses can lead to coma and death, so it is critical that owners seek prompt treatment for the cat's condition. The ASPCA also gives real-time consultations for pet owners through the Animal Poison Control Center, which can be reached at (888) 426-4435. Immediate medical attention can stop an overdose from becoming lethal.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Nicolemr. I freaked the hell out and went around the apartment alternately crying and praying loudly. Then, after I calmed down slightly, and I do mean slightly, I texted a friend who has worked as a vet assistant for years and years and he told me that Tigger would probably be just fine. Tigger got kind of glassy-eyed and verrrrrrry mellow after he was finished throwing up several times.

The reason my g/f gave him Benadryl was that we wanted him to be in a deep sleep so we could try to attend to his horrific ear mites. No such luck. We'll just have to wait until my other g/f gets her yearly clothing allowance from the Veterans Administration which she plans on using for the cats. So... for now, all is well in our home. The cats are up to their usual mischief and my girlfriends have gone to sleep. [Smile]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Wheew, glad to hear everything's OK.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know where I can buy PitRPat cat treats in the UK...google is not my friend here. One of my cats has discovered that he really really likes them. I can find them on line in Australia and the USA, but not on line in the UK.

Thanks!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After losing our beloved golden retriever (is it 3 weeks or 2?), we got the licence renewal in the mail on Friday. That was hard.

The dog we adopted, Mugs, from a rescue society in March this year (abandoned by a highway at -35°C, some people are just evil), well, she tolerated the group of university students who came by on Thurs to carole and eat dainties, but more than that, she actually socialized and went to meet some of them. Had a request earlier this week to attend training for helping returning soldiers with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and was frightfully sad that I no longer have a therapy dog. That was also very hard. I am really wondering now if she was in Oskie's shadow these 8 months, and now has the chance to come out of herself. Might she be able to be a therapy dog like he was? I'm really hoping.

I was sent this youtube link this week, and it cheered up quite a bit, it is very silly (give it a minute) and oh so true (we also have a cat): Cat Friend vs Dog Friend

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Berg, the wee deaf kitten I adopted to keep Squeak the Terrorist company turned out to have far more special needs than I was able to cope with. She has gone to live with my ex, who has several other special needs kitties. He says she's fitting in well and seems quite happy. So that left Squeak an only kitty again, and massive destruction ensued. My friend's daughter claimed to have rescued a little orange kitten that she couldn't keep so I said I'd take him. Unfortunately, I think he might not have been a resuce after all. He's fixed and very familiar with the comcept of sleeping on the bed. Not something you would expect from a street kitty. I have decided to name him Ransom (since I may be an accessory after the fact to catnapping [Hot and Hormonal] ) and he's an adorable beastie. A couple more days hissing and he and Squeak will be ganging up on me...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for you other slaves of felines. Charlie-cat is probably in the last months of his life, being at the latter end of a feline lifespan and having a tumour which is suspected to be on his spleen. He's doing well, on the whole, and is on steroids as palliative care - he's definitely slowing down but seems happy and comfortable. Trouble is, he's developed quite pungent wind.

At the moment finance deters me from going to visit the vet on that basis, seeing as we're already spending a fortune on tablets and monthly visits. So the question is, does anyone have any bright ideas for controlling/reducing the wind? He eats Felix usually (though thinking about it, I have given him Whiskas trout today as my friend's cat won't eat it) and Go-Kat biscuits. Is there anything I can give him that might help? Ours is a very small flat, and I'm now keeping him indoors a lot more to keep him safe from foxes, so it's rather important that we solve this problem [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try a higher protein/lower vegtable food like Royal Canin? Here's a useful response, tho I spect you've googled alread.cat food

As my Calico got older we still gave her dry food as wet food upset her, but small amount of high quality was more economical as she used it more efficiently - small poos and no vomiting. Sorry if TMI. You have to buy it from a pet shop (pets at home is good) and james wellbeloved is rubbish, despite pet shelters recommending it a lot. Good luck.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
redunderthebed
Apprentice
# 17480

- Posted      Profile for redunderthebed   Email redunderthebed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My condolences to all those that have lost furry members of the family. [Frown] [Votive]

I have two furry family members....

Ned the staffy x whippet x retarded x adorable
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/548877_167992773344783_648315613_n.jpg

Lily the lady master and empress of world and psychopatic moggie

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/r90/539874_171461079664619_56292850_n.jpg

I love them both.

[ 02. January 2013, 11:01: Message edited by: redunderthebed ]

Posts: 24 | From: Port Lincoln | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
redunderthebed, they are both adorable!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgie - in France there is a brand of dry cat food "Ultima" which is supposed to be for cats with "difficult appetites" (comes in a green bag). Ours love it and fight over it. I suspect the suggestion about good quality dry food, little and often, is a good one - it certainly worked with our 19 year old diabetic cat who preferred dry food- or that semi dry food that you used to be able to get but I don't know if it's still available

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
redunderthebed
Apprentice
# 17480

- Posted      Profile for redunderthebed   Email redunderthebed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
redunderthebed, they are both adorable!

Thankyou we think so too....most of the time.
Posts: 24 | From: Port Lincoln | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
spare prayers, please, for Duke - my gentle giant of a dog (Great Pyranees) whom I believe has sprained his ankle somehow. it's been very icy and he's a klutz at the best of times, so I suspect a fall or twist. He's obviously in a lot of pain, and since he already has a bad back leg (we adopted him after a bad injury took him permanently off protecting sheep) and now a pained front leg he's teetering more than usual. he's sitting here next to me and I just want to FIX IT and it's very hard to convince a 180 lb dog to rest and elevate his leg.

I hate to see him hurting!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You got 'em - poor (big) baby!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Duke and comet [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have a friendly neighborhood vet or vet-tech who doesn't insist on visits for everything, call and find out if there's an OTC painkiller Duke can take.

Last year one of our huskies was had an issue, and doses of a particular formulation of baby aspirin helped with pain and stiffness. But you do have to get the right formulation so its absorbed into their system correctly, and the right dosage. IIRC too much and/or for too long can do damage.

My boy didn't need much, very frequently, or for very long; we'll keep our paddy-paws crossed that Duke is as lucky!

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope Duke feels better soon!

We have a not-so-furry baby addition to the family here at Chez Shrew.

His name is Spike and he is an albino African Pygmy Hedgehog. Hes utterly lovely and it is making me really happy to have a pet again

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, can you tape (or wrap) it? Poor critter---it's so hard when they hurt and we can't fix it.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
update - I did an ace bandage wrap that he really disliked so it lasted about 10 minutes the first time, less the second and third times. ice wasn't going to happen, either. I've kept him indoors and he's rested and the swelling is going down. curling up on the carpet in front of the fire seems to be his best medicine right now.

we have to carry him up and down the 6 steps to go out to pee, which is complicated and rather funny and requires all three of us. really need something like an engine hoist.

we have no vets here, It would be a 70 mile drive one way.

things are looking up. thanks everyone for your concern!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
17 months or so ago, for some reason, I said yes to a couple of kitten foundlings offered to my wife by a work colleague.

We've now got two big boys (neutered), names of Sparrow (champagne with orangey gold eyes) and Koi (tabbie with green eyes).

I had no clue God wanted us to be with these two to keep us sane.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Shrew:
We have a not-so-furry baby addition to the family here at Chez Shrew.

His name is Spike and he is an albino African Pygmy Hedgehog. Hes utterly lovely and it is making me really happy to have a pet again

[Axe murder] I am green with envy. Hedgies are just the lovliest little dudes!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
spare prayers, please, for Duke - my gentle giant of a dog (Great Pyranees) whom I believe has sprained his ankle somehow. it's been very icy and he's a klutz at the best of times, so I suspect a fall or twist. He's obviously in a lot of pain, and since he already has a bad back leg (we adopted him after a bad injury took him permanently off protecting sheep) and now a pained front leg he's teetering more than usual. he's sitting here next to me and I just want to FIX IT and it's very hard to convince a 180 lb dog to rest and elevate his leg.

I hate to see him hurting!

it's been almost a month. I took him to the vet last week, and she suspects a tumor. We have him on anti-inflamitories which is helping his pain (a LOT - I have to keep him from frolicking too much) but no sign of change in the softball sized thing on his ankle/wrist.

the x-rays and cytology that would be the next step is likely over $500, which I just don't have. and if it is a tumor, there's not much that can be done - dogs his size can't handle amputation.

it's looking bleak for my big guy.
[Frown]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

So sorry Comet. [Frown]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Comet - I really feel for you in that situation. Poor Duke and poor you and the family as I know how very loved and very special he is.
It stinks even more when finances contribute to decisions - it's the question you really hate having to ask, isn't it, "how much will it cost" because it really shouldn't cost anything!
Having had to say farewell to my lovely cat recently (and having had to have that same conversation), I can empathise. Prayers for all of you, and especially for Duke, the much loved.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

Following the loss of my older cat earlier this week, I'm seeing some new behaviours in our remaining feline, Little Roo. Besides howling, she's also uninterested in her favourite catnip toys, is taking twice as long as usual to eat, and has started to poop outside her box. I am a little surprised as she and Elderkitty really didn't have much to do with one another. We aren't wanting to adopt another animal; does anyone have ideas on how to help a grieving pet?

(And continued prayers for Duke.)

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a cat question.

My cat, who's going on 13 this spring, was diagnosed as diabetic a few years ago. The main symptom was that she was getting itchy scales on her skin and mowing her fur off chewing at the itches. She was switched to a canned food that's 95% meat, and went on a very small dose of insulin, and the itchy skin cleared up. She lost about 5 pounds in just over a year, and was able to go off the insulin last fall. I went away on a 3-week trip right after she went off insulin, and had a sitter look in on her daily.

Now, it's typical that my cat doesn't eat much when I'm away, so in 3 weeks she lost a pound. I think that's too fast, but the vet wasn't concerned. However, her itchy scales were back. I hadn't seen any evidence of fleas, but the vet found some flea dirt. Apparently she'd picked up fleas somehow while I was away (she never leaves my studio apartment). This was last November. I started her on Advantage, and have given it to her faithfully every month since, on schedule.

But she still has itchy scales. Not as bad as they were, but enough that they bother her, and I feel them when I pet her, and small clumps of fur come out with the scabs when she scratches them off.

I'll take her to the vet soon, but I was wondering if anyone's experienced anything like this with a cat. I can't tell if she's gained back the pound she lost while I was away last fall, but she's definitely not back to where she was when she became diabetic.

Can a cat have lingering skin issues after having fleas?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Duke update - we're back from the fancy vet hospital with mega drugs and a special diet. confirmed bone cancer, and the mass on his leg is the size of a small melon, I shit you not. his foot is also swollen to approximately 2x the size of the other foot. Vet says we have maybe a month. so we're spoiling him with fancy food and snacks and happy drugs and going to enjoy the little time we have left.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Comet!
Enjoy the time you have and spoil him like crazy.
[Waterworks] and [Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
I have a cat question.

My cat (two cats ago) had eczema and a flea allergy, both of which combined caused those scabby patches which took a bit of hair off with them when they fell off... a bit reminiscent of chicken pox scabs if I remember rightly. I just had to avoid letting her get fleas and, if they got infected, take her to the vet for antibiotics. I don't think there was anything I could do about them, we just both had to live with it. Possibly worth checking with your vet, though.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Duke update - we're back from the fancy vet hospital with mega drugs and a special diet. confirmed bone cancer, and the mass on his leg is the size of a small melon, I shit you not. his foot is also swollen to approximately 2x the size of the other foot. Vet says we have maybe a month. so we're spoiling him with fancy food and snacks and happy drugs and going to enjoy the little time we have left.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Poor Duke. [Votive]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
quote:
I have a cat question.

My cat (two cats ago) had eczema and a flea allergy, both of which combined caused those scabby patches which took a bit of hair off with them when they fell off... a bit reminiscent of chicken pox scabs if I remember rightly. I just had to avoid letting her get fleas and, if they got infected, take her to the vet for antibiotics. I don't think there was anything I could do about them, we just both had to live with it. Possibly worth checking with your vet, though.
Thanks! She doesn't seem to be suffering from it much - not nearly as much as I do from the eczema I have thanks to that furry allergen who spends more time in my bed than I do! I was thinking today that maybe I should give her a good bath - not a water bath, but a good, thorough waterless foam bath, just to make sure her fur isn't harboring any irritants or allergens. I'll double check whether the foam I have is hypoallergenic, first. I wish there was some kind of lotion you could put on a cat's itchy dry skin. The lotions I use on myself don't help as much as I'd like them to, but they do help. (And patchouli oil, which I wear anyway for the scent, is good for eczema, at least in humans, but I wouldn't try putting it on my cat's itchy sores.) I'll bet it doesn't bother her as much as it bothers me to see her itch.

At first I thought the fleas didn't go away after one or even 2 treatments, but her fur's all grown back nicely and she's not chewing it off anymore. I hadn't been giving her flea prevention before because she stays in my apartment, and in 12 years she never had fleas. It seemed like an unnecessary expense. But now that she's been on insulin and is off it, I figure, well, I spent the money for the insulin, I can spend it for this.

I guess either her sitter brought fleas in or maybe fleas came in somehow. My apartment is hardwood floor, but there's a slight gap under the door, and the hallway has wool carpeting, and there are other cats in the building (at least one of which gets out of its apartment and wanders from time to time), and my cat is very obsessive. If any animal had been nosing around my door while I was gone, I'm sure Taffeta (my cat) kept her own nose glued to that gap under the door.

Who knows what our cats get up to when we're not home? [Paranoid]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Who knows what our cats get up to when we're not home? [Paranoid]

She'll be on the internet plotting Feline World Domination!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on the TICTH thread in Hell, Evensong and Comet were posting about those well-meaning-but-clueless people who, after you have lost a pet, immediately ask you when you are going to get a new one. TICTH is no place for discussion, but it started me wondering how other Shipmates handle that situation.

When my beloved cat Burnie died, I attempted to forestall such comments by e-mailing the news to family and friends and adding the comment: "To answer the obvious questions: (1) No, I am not okay. But I will be. (2) Yes, I expect I will get another cat at some point, but that doesn't change the fact that there will always be a part of my heart that forever belongs to my sweet Burnie." When having to deal with people in person, I did a verbal response with substantially the same comments modified to fit the conversation. I think it got the point across that suggesting a new pet does not stop the grief of losing an old one.

Does anybody else have an approach for dealing with the situation?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

well, my response last week was a blank look and unbidden tears.

probably not the best response. I'd love to know what others say about this.

I'm hearing about it at work, as my dog was our temporary security system a few years back when there was a rash of burglaries. He was quite effective! and got to be known as the bar dog.

and for the record, since I hadn't told you lovely people here, Duke died Friday after a pretty bad turn for the worse. We all got to be with him and it was peaceful. We're still mourning. and Frodo, the other dog, is still looking for him, poor love.

[ 14. March 2013, 23:44: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
comet and family, including Frodo [Votive]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, if I was closer, I'd cry with you.

Sunday after Jasmine died, I was with my friends at Red Lobster, talking and, well, not laughing, but having a nice time. All of a sudden, those unbidden tears came gushing out. And loud sobbing. Later, a lady from another table came to my seat, gave me a hug, and told me it would get better some day. She said that the kitty must have been very special. And not a word about a replacement cat.

I think she really got it.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear of this. We lost out golden in the fall, so I'm kind of understanding the feelings. I still find myself calling the other dog his name, and then I think of all of visits to hospital we did together and how we went shopping and how I shovelled snow at him. There's no replacing. There's only tears and memories.

[Votive] for you.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh comet, I'm so sorry for all of you, including Frodo.

It's been just over 2 weeks since we lost elderkitty, and Little Roo still occasionally searches for her sister. I can't believe the number of well-intentioned but essentially clueless people who have suggested we get a kitten to keep her company; do they not think introducing a new pet might be unfair to an already stressed animal?

Everybody, including our remaining pets, has a right to grieve their loss. And the opinions of those who suggest otherwise are, in the words of the immortal Marg Delahunty, "not worth the steam of your pee".

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
So sorry to hear of this. We lost out golden in the fall, so I'm kind of understanding the feelings. I still find myself calling the other dog his name,

NP, re my present cat, whom i got as a kitten, i have found myself occasionally calling her by the name of another beloved companion whom i had lost over 10 years ago.

[ 15. March 2013, 12:49: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for comet, Meg the Red, and all who have lost beloved companions.

Mr Marten mentioned earlier that our youngest cat, Mandy, had been sleeping on the swivel chair that Louis used to sleep on at nights. Now Louis died in the winter of 2011, but I suddenly felt a welling up of grief for him.

I remember my lovely cats, going back to Prudence, who I had when I was 9, and who formed such a large part of my childhood. When she died (in her ripe old age) something of my childhood died.

I have never lived without pets, and I thank God for their love and companionship and affection. (Generic) You cannot replace those who have died, but in due time you can give a loving home to another needy little creature without forgetting and cherishing the memory of previous pets.

[ 15. March 2013, 13:46: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I firmly believe, after having watched and talked to pet owners for years, and experiencing this all now myself, that pets are one of the strongest examples of seeing God work inspite of us. God brings these animals into our lives. Usually we are not expecting or asking for them.

For those who feel the need to plan these things, they will plan when to have another pet. For most of us, it will happen when/if God wills it so.

For me to suggest otherwise would be akin to me suggesting somebody attempt to change the weather by wearing a sun hat.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came down here from TICTH to see what happened to Duke. Comet made me fall in love with him a few months ago with an hilarious description of the family carrying him up and down the steps while the expression on Duke's face said he thought it was the best fun ever.

The first Great Pyrenees I ever saw was at an obedience trial. It was at the part where all the owners line up on one side of the gym and the dogs on the other while they "Stay" as long as possible. About two minutes in, while all the Dobies and Labs were still perfectly still, the Pyrenees started creeping slowly across the floor, evidently thinking that if he crouched low and was real quiet we wouldn't see his gargantuan self. The audience tried to remain quiet but we all ended up laughing till tears ran down our face.

I'm just so sorry about Duke and all our lost pets.
[Tear]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I came down here from TICTH to see what happened to Duke. Comet made me fall in love with him a few months ago with an hilarious description of the family carrying him up and down the steps while the expression on Duke's face said he thought it was the best fun ever.

[Big Grin] he really did enjoy that. I could swear he was laughing when I faceplanted in the snow. the boys certainly were!
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
The first Great Pyrenees I ever saw was at an obedience trial. It was at the part where all the owners line up on one side of the gym and the dogs on the other while they "Stay" as long as possible. About two minutes in, while all the Dobies and Labs were still perfectly still, the Pyrenees started creeping slowly across the floor, evidently thinking that if he crouched low and was real quiet we wouldn't see his gargantuan self. The audience tried to remain quiet but we all ended up laughing till tears ran down our face.

the very idea of a pyr at an "obedience trial" is hilarious to me. the best description I ever read is that when it comes to obedience, Great Pyranees are the perfect cat. [Biased]

it's true. as a working dog, they are left alone with the sheep. So they make their own calls - they ARE the shepherd. So slavish obedience just doesn't fit into their minds.

When I'd call the boys in, Frodo (golden retriever/sled dog mix) would come running over happy as a clam. Duke would stop and look at me, as if to say, "yeah? whatcha got? treats? what's in it for me?"

for sled dogs (the majority of my experience) the human is the nominal alpha of the pack. for pyrs, the human is another member of the management team. an equal.

When I'd come home from work in the middle of the night, Duke used to push me to bed. he even stepped on my keyboard once and gave me a look - the look that says, "get the hell off the ship and go to bed, young lady!"

I think that's part of how they can get under your skin so much. they're more like a spouse than a kid.

Thanks for the description of the pyr at the show, Twilight, it really made me smile. Reminds me of Duke trying to slyly ooze onto the couch or bed with us RIGHT THERE, as if we wouldn't notice. my entire bed would dip under his weight, and he'd slowly creep up, "you don't see me!"

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our dear cat Stan Lee will be 12 this year. Just recently he has been having periods of not eating, therefore losing weight, and being somewhat listless. This will last for a few days then he'll suddenly perk up and be his old self again. He has had blood tests etc, and the vet can't find anything wrong. I have googled this and found many other people having this trouble with their cats, for no apparent reason.

Good shipmates, any idea what is going on? Please??

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016