homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fox News Advice for Travellers (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fox News Advice for Travellers
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chap I worked with years ago in Kent told me about showing his US inlaws around Canterbury Cathedral- all OK except that they were a bit sceptical about the Black Prince's tomb- 'Tell us honestly now, did you really ever have a prince who was black?'
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love Christmas? Travel to Australia in their winter to enjoy Christmas festivities twice a year!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Could you define 'widely', Felafool? I've lived in at least 10 counties in the UK, in towns, cities, villages and the countryside, and the only one that seems at all familiar to me is the speed limits one.

I recognised them all. [Hot and Hormonal] But he missed:

• Car indicator lights are an optional accessory that you only use when you feel like it, rather than a legal requirement.
  • It's okay to text and look at your mobile phone during meetings, meals out and whilst driving etc. Social media doesn't update itself!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Chap I worked with years ago in Kent told me about showing his US inlaws around Canterbury Cathedral- all OK except that they were a bit sceptical about the Black Prince's tomb- 'Tell us honestly now, did you really ever have a prince who was black?'

Did he tell them about the Black Country?

Someone asked this on twitter using the FoxNewsFacts tag and FoxNews assured it's twitter followers that it has never referred to Africa in that way and asked the tweeter to remove the tweet or they'd sue! [Snigger]

Tubbs

[ 15. January 2015, 11:49: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Car indicator lights are an optional accessory that you only use when you feel like it, rather than a legal requirement.

And, of course, can be used at any time, regardless of any intention to actually turn.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a few years ago reading the Lonely Planet entry for my home town. Under the hotels section they advised travellers not to stay in town too long or they would get depressed.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Temporary traffic lights (eg at road works) are advisory only.

Drivers are at fault if they hit a cyclist: (after all, you shouldn't be on the pavement [Biased] )

eta: If you are parked illegally then you will not be penalised if your hazard lights are on.

[ 15. January 2015, 12:00: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[*]Car indicator lights are an optional accessory that you only use when you feel like it, rather than a legal requirement.

Yep. Those fancy flashing orange lights are basically a manufacturer's perk aimed at people who aren't serious drivers, or who just like fancy flashing orange lights.

Also, no statue is ever really complete without at least one traffic cone to make it an amusing hat.

Nightclubs are convivial places. Many people come away singing, and a medley of popular songs sung with gusto is a tradition as you make your way home. You may find that people join in, or shout encouragement.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition, if your hazard lights are on your vehicle ceases to block the road; if other vehicles are unwilling to find a way between you and oncoming traffic that is their responsibility.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drifting Star
quote:
Could you define 'widely', Felafool?
For the chewing gum and vomit, I have personal experience (no, not that sort ;)of Town and city centres I live near:
Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Oldham, Halifax, Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield.

And then you just need to consider where orgs like StreetAngels, Street Pastors, Christian Nightlife Intiative operate.

For cinemas, every one I have been to from Scotland to Cornwall

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever country you visit, it is the desperate wish of all the benighted foreigners who have the misfortune to live there to become just like you. So they really just love it when you tell them and everyone else within earshot in a loud voice how much better things are done where you come from.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Whatever country you visit, it is the desperate wish of all the benighted foreigners who have the misfortune to live there to become just like you. So they really just love it when you tell them and everyone else within earshot in a loud voice how much better things are done where you come from.

Varients:

The dress codes that some tourist attractions, particularly religious buildings, specify for entry are optional. If told that you cannot enter a building because you're inappropriately dressed, your basic human rights are being violated. Defend them as loudly as you can! [Seen this happen. Not pretty. Italian priests can face down even the most determined, over entitled tourist!]

As a foreign citizen, you are not subject to local laws. So just ignore them.

Tubbs

[ 15. January 2015, 14:42: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] There are people around who do think the Black Prince was just that, or at least mixed race, using a description of his mother, Philippa of Hainault (in the Low Countries, not the east of the London Underground) as justification. No explanation of her presence there has been offered when I have heard this hypothesis.

Here's the description:
Philippa was the daughter of William of Hainault, a lord in part of what is now Belgium. When she was nine the King of England, Edward II, decided that he would marry his son, the future Edward III, to her, and sent one of his bishops, a Bishop Stapeldon, to look at her. He described her thus: “The lady whom we saw has not uncomely hair, betwixt blue-black and brown. Her head is cleaned shaped; her forehead high and broad, and standing somewhat forward. Her face narrows between the eyes, and the lower part of her face is still more narrow and slender than the forehead. Her eyes are blackish brown and deep. Her nose is fairly smooth and even, save that is somewhat broad at the tip and flattened, yet it is no snub nose. Her nostrils are also broad, her mouth fairly wide. Her lips somewhat full and especially the lower lip…all her limbs are well set and unmaimed, and nought is amiss so far as a man may see. Moreover, she is brown of skin all over, and much like her father, and in all things she is pleasant enough, as it seems to us.”

And the source I have just used for it. Queen Philippa [/tangent]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No matter what country you visit, the locals love it when you ask for "real money" as opposed to the "Monopoly game money" they try to foist on you. Americans know that money is to be basically green -- any pastel-color stuff can't be real, so the natives are obviously trying to pull a fast one on you.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In New York City, it is considered rude to offer one's seat on the bus or subway to an elderly or physically challenged person.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you visit Canada and decide to hire a car, you need to know that quite a lot, though not all, people drive more or less, somewhat towards the right hand side of the road. You must try to accommodate all preferences. On highways the rules are complicated, and on multi lane roads you must get into the left lane before making a right turn, and similarly, move to the right before attempting a left turn. If you don't feel like making a turn, get into the middle lane, take it easy and enjoy the magnificent scenery. Roundabouts are a new development in Ontario, and the approved technique is to approach at normal speed and then put your foot to the floor while shutting your eyes. This works as well as any other method. The pedestrian crossings at the exits of all roundabouts are a kind of sporting diversion so you can enjoy a game of chicken.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Varients:

The dress codes that some tourist attractions, particularly religious buildings, specify for entry are optional. If told that you cannot enter a building because you're inappropriately dressed, your basic human rights are being violated. Defend them as loudly as you can! [Seen this happen. Not pretty. Italian priests can face down even the most determined, over entitled tourist!]

As a foreign citizen, you are not subject to local laws. So just ignore them.

Tubbs

No matter where you are or where you're from, the locals will have on hand the exact same food that you'd eat at home.

Sometimes, just for a bit of fun, they'll hide it from you, but if you mention it enough times they'll take the hint and bring it out.

[ 15. January 2015, 20:15: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox Tourism Expert Steve Emerson ("Providing Hobgoblins for Little Minds") went on to explain: "The natives of the British Isles are addicted to drinking tea. They are, however, somewhat sloppy and splash it on their clothes. This leads them to refer to having a spot of tea. Sometimes the clothes will have two spots and the native will mention having 'a couple' (which, in their charming accented English, will sound like 'cuppa'). The drinking of tea provokes strong maternal instincts, so, if you are sharing a pot with somebody, do not be surprised if they ask to be your mother. Of course, at tea time, British Muslims will bow in the direction of Birmingham."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And remember, when pouring tea in Britain, the lemon goes in before the milk. Blowing on your tea to cool it is regarded as uncouth: tip it into the saucer and fan it with your hat.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "West Country" is a vulgar portmanteau of the "West Midlands" and the "Black Country", either of these terms is to be preferred.

[um [Hot and Hormonal] ]

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only food Australians ever eat is vegemite, spread very thickly indeed on toast. How thick? Oh, several centimetres at least.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't be fobbed off with 'they're foreigners; so they can't help it' or 'it's their country'. They can help it and are only being like that to annoy. Be firm and make sure they don't get away with it. They'll respect you for it.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

In British supermarkets, the checkout staff expect you to haggle. The people in the queue behind you won't mind how long you take because it's part of the exciting market experience to watch you.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Northern Ireland, it is easy to identify political affiliations amongst car-drivers. Loyalists will have white plastic squares with a red 'L', in the corner of their windscreens; whilst Republicans will favour those featuring the 'R'.

Therefore, be sure to greet all 'L' drivers with the encouraging phrase 'kick the pope!' But remember to respect the beliefs of all 'R' drivers with a stirring rendition of 'The Soldier's Song'. You really can't go wrong.

Similarly, there is nothing the Northern Irish love more on a Saturday night down the pub, than to talk politics and religion. The heady mix of alcohol and buoyant spirits will always mean your opening gambit of 'so, what about that Bloody Sunday inquiry then, eh?' will always receive a lively and attentive response. Or if pubs are not your thing, feel free to honour the Ulster love of jolly banter by asking your neighbour at any bus-stop, shopping queue or public place: 'so, which foot do YOU kick with then?'

Belfast is also well known for its skillful and experienced NHS Accident & Emergency departments....

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australia and Austria are really just the one country but split on two entirely different continents. Neither minds being taken for the other. There are two separate anthems,

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Did he tell them about the Black Country?

Someone asked this on twitter using the FoxNewsFacts tag and FoxNews assured it's twitter followers that it has never referred to Africa in that way and asked the tweeter to remove the tweet or they'd sue! [Snigger]

Tubbs

I've often wondered what some foreigners (namely Americans) imagine when they hear of 'the Black Country'. You've given me one little hint of the possibilities there....

Going back to the OP, one thing I'd like to counter is the idea promoted by some that in Birmingham UK there are 'no-go areas' for non-Muslims (otherwise described as 'white people').

It's true that certain inner city districts and suburbs of Birmingham have a relatively high population of Muslims. But these areas all have churches that local Christians (and others) can attend if they want to! Even inner city Birmingham still houses some white (and other) non-Muslims, and of course, some of the residents are now white, non-Muslim East Europeans.

I think it's more the case that some (working class) white British people feel uncomfortable living on or visiting a street where people from their cultural background are in the minority. But that doesn't mean that Muslims have somehow banned them from being there!

Anyway, in the spirit of this thread, let me warn all of you not to visit Birmingham without your survivalist gear; you never know when hostilities will break out.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erik:
I remember a few years ago reading the Lonely Planet entry for my home town. Under the hotels section they advised travellers not to stay in town too long or they would get depressed.

Lonely Planet describes the place I live in as "a dreary little town".
I'd like to advise travelers that they might like to bring a book or something when they visit.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orkney and Shetland are situated in little boxes a bit to the east of Aberdeen.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Julie Andrews was in a charming movie, set in Australia. You may have heard of it. "Sound of Music" told the much-loved story of how nuns adopt semi-orphan kangaroos and teach them how to sing, ride bikes, and wear clothes made out of window curtains.

Upon reflection, none of the roos were Muslim.

[ 16. January 2015, 02:33: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When traveling to New Zealand, make sure to ask everyone where the Hobbits live. Sooner or later someone will put you right.

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fun to tell tourists that London is actually not that far from Paris and that the Crystal Palace transmitter is the Eiffel Tower

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course you can take that sand goanna home with you! All you have to do is catch it.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Yes, you are right. Technically, Australia IS an island. So yes, staying in Melbourne, as you are, it IS possible to have lunch at Ayres Rock, and be back here by dinner. As we all know, islands are small.
As yes, I do live in Australia, near Melbourne. Of course I know your cousin in Perth. Islands only gave small populations, don't they! We all see each other regularly, for afternoon tea in Darwin. All the folk in Oz, we bring food to share....

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere, I have a British travel guide to American customs and such. I somehow missed that it was meant to be satire. So when I read, "Americans are very religious--the trouble is they believe it", I was not especially amused.

[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:
All the folk in Oz, we bring food to share....

And you get it by skipping and singing down the Yellow Brick Road; going to the dark forest; and annoying the apple trees until they throw apples at you.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, you are right. Technically, Australia IS an island. So yes, staying in Melbourne, as you are, it IS possible to have lunch at Ayres Rock, and be back here by dinner. As we all know, islands are small....

Wasn't there a story about some US General in 1942 who asked his Australian counterpart 'What would you do if the Japanese landed here [pointing at Broome or some such place on the map] and advanced on Alice Springs?' To which the Australian, looking at 1000-odd miles of rough waterless terrain, is supposed to have replied 'Leave them to it and then send in the salvage corps to pick up the bones'.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It's fun to tell tourists that London is actually not that far from Paris and that the Crystal Palace transmitter is the Eiffel Tower

[Killing me]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Yes, you are right. Technically, Australia IS an island. So yes, staying in Melbourne, as you are, it IS possible to have lunch at Ayres Rock, and be back here by dinner. As we all know, islands are small....

Wasn't there a story about some US General in 1942 who asked his Australian counterpart 'What would you do if the Japanese landed here [pointing at Broome or some such place on the map] and advanced on Alice Springs?' To which the Australian, looking at 1000-odd miles of rough waterless terrain, is supposed to have replied 'Leave them to it and then send in the salvage corps to pick up the bones'.
Love that one as well!

I do remember a real-life story amongst my friends, of an Englishman who came here (Canberra) and asked how long it would take him to drive to Perth. When he was told it could possibly be done in 3 days if you were in a big hurry, he just about fell over.

(Google Maps says 40 hours.)

The reverse problem happened to me when I went overseas the first time, to the UK. I bought a rail pass and when I was still at home planning my trip, I was thinking that a country was, well, country-sized.

And so when working out how long to stay in various spots, I was tending to think that on a travelling day I wouldn't see that much because I wouldn't get to my destination until later in the day.

I'm not certain which leg of the trip it was, but fairly early on when looking at timetables I discovered that I was actually going to arrive in time for morning tea.

[ 16. January 2015, 12:59: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to keep the pot boiling, how about this:

To ensure an enthusiastic welcome in pubs in Essex-shire, make a point of telling the locals what a good idea the European Union (thats kinda like the USA, but in Europe) is, and how glad you are that Britain is a member.

(Not very likely for Fox News, I admit.)

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Known as "The Land of Song" in the part of England called Wales the locals like nothing better than joining in if you start singing Rule Britannia in a railway carriage or bus.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first letter of Edinburgh is silent, so you say it 'Dinberg'.

In Cambridge, be sure to see the Cathedral.

Sloane Rangers is an affectionate nickname for fans of Chelsea Football Club.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When a friend's mother in Northern Ireland, who was in the early stages of Alzheimer's at the time, heard that we were moving to Newfoundland, she said we must be sure to look up her twin brother, who lived in Vancouver.

It took quite a bit of explaining that in terms of mileage, we'd actually be closer to her than we would to him.

[tangent]
The corollary of that was that when we lived in Ireland, people would say, "I met such-and-such who's from Orkney; do you know him/her?" and sometimes the answer was yes*, which just perpetrated the myth that there were only about 20 people living there ... [Roll Eyes]

* A colleague in the Art College took a request for a prospectus and said, "Piglet, you should have taken that - she was from Orkney" and told me the name and address. She asked if I knew the caller, and I said, "no, but I was at her parents' wedding, and her mother used to go out with my brother". Small world, eh?
[/tangent]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Known as "The Land of Song" in the part of England called Wales the locals like nothing better than joining in if you start singing Rule Britannia in a railway carriage or bus.

Likewise, when in Scotland remember to sing the National Anthem at every opportunity, not forgetting the verse:
quote:
Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save The Queen.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you come to L.A., you will find your favorite celebrity at every restaurant or shop you go to. If you happen to miss him/her, no worries-- just ask a native. We all know each other since we all work in the industry, so we'll be happy to direct you to your favorite celebrity's hang out. When you find them dining out with family, they'll be delighted if you come by the table to ask for an autograph and selfie. After all, you'll be joining them soon, since everyone who comes to L.A. is offered a starring role within a few weeks of arriving.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are visiting St. Louis, be sure to save an evening for a quick jaunt over to Los Angeles by car. You'll have plenty of time to look around.

But do add a couple of hours extra to see the Grand Canyon. (True life story--we had the devil of a time arguing the visitors out of this plan)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canada is a very cold country full of communists. Therefore:

(1) when heading to Canada, always bring your ski equipment, as skiing is plentiful everywhere and at all times.
(2) should you happen to injure or offend a Canadian, never apologize; they'll think you're trying to be elitist. Instead a quick muttered insult, such as "Asshole!", will work best.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You must always remember to take your passport when visiting Cornwall.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
You must always remember to take your passport when visiting Cornwall.

Of course, there are customs and passport checks on the bridges into Wales. The border guards, however, are only paid by what they receive in gifts from drivers, so be sure to save up all your small coins to pay the 'toll' (Welsh for 'present') - it is traditional to make your gift as heavy as possible, to show your appreciation.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When visiting England, be sure to go to Ireland (it's part of England, you know.) Americans may notice the quaint inhabitants talking about Eire, Pennsylvania: when they do, feel free to contribute your thoughts on what an awful and ugly place it is to live.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As it's part of Britain, you can of course use English currency. If the natives tell you you can't, don't take no for an answer.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016