homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The soul of Britain (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The soul of Britain
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We heard wonderful churches about the churches that had been "touched" by the East African Revival, both in Congo and Rwanda. Yet many of those same Christians became involved in terrible acts of violence and genocide.

People have heard that the Revival was "broad, but not deep". Was there a lack of follow-up teaching on practical aspects of the Christian faith? Was it "too spiritual for its own good"? Was is just frothy and superficial? I don't know, but something clearly went wrong, and parts of the human condition were not touched by it.

Given the history of Christian groups committing mob violence, I'm not sure your assumption that such acts are contrary to the "practical aspects of the Christian faith" holds up under scrutiny. Such acts may be arguably contrary to the philosophical or intellectual aspects of the Christian faith, but they're all to common a practical aspect. There are only so many times you can say something is an aberration before you have to start asking if there's a pattern.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, which is one of the reasons why I think that revivalist hagiography is overblown.

Yes, revivals can and do have an impact on individuals and societies but there have to be other factors in place too - religious emotion will get you only so far.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Yes, which is one of the reasons why I think that revivalist hagiography is overblown.

Yes, revivals can and do have an impact on individuals and societies but there have to be other factors in place too - religious emotion will get you only so far.

But how do you know that? Few people in this generation have experienced a revival.

It's like saying 'Christmas is crap. It makes people think of dead relatives (and never ever experiencing an Xmas)'.

That's true, but there are other parts of Christmas which are kind of nice. At least I admit to not knowing what a revival would be like. I simply believe that it would make things better.

[ 01. June 2015, 07:56: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Posts: 162 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alyosha:
quote:

But how do you know that? Few people in this generation have experienced a revival.

It's like saying 'Christmas is crap. It makes people think of dead relatives (and never ever experiencing an Xmas)'.

That's true, but there are other parts of Christmas which are kind of nice. At least I admit to not knowing what a revival would be like. I simply believe that it would make things better.

Following on from what I said up-thread about the current stories here in Kenya about revival type situations, the other day I listened to someone explaining why the reported miracle signs, which have now suffered some kind of relapse were still revival as we were now in a time of intense spiritual warfare.....

I too would like to see things made better in communities all around the world and I too would welcome the work of the Holy Spirit in many, many situations but the types of cognitive dissonance which I've encountered make me very wary and slightly depressed by some of these stories.

I long for honesty and integrity in our story-telling- when that happens perhaps there is the chance for transformation to begin in our lives.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

- Posted      Profile for Alyosha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
quote:
quote:

Following on from what I said up-thread about the current stories here in Kenya about revival type situations, the other day I listened to someone explaining why the reported miracle signs, which have now suffered some kind of relapse were still revival as we were now in a time of intense spiritual warfare.....

I too would like to see things made better in communities all around the world and I too would welcome the work of the Holy Spirit in many, many situations but the types of cognitive dissonance which I've encountered make me very wary and slightly depressed by some of these stories.

I long for honesty and integrity in our story-telling- when that happens perhaps there is the chance for transformation to begin in our lives.

Absolutely. But you are probably one of the few people here to even get near to any kind of revival. Are there any benefits from it? Is it all as bogus as people fear?

Africa is far more deserving of a genuine revival than the Europe. If the stories you are hearing are fake then maybe you are right and maybe everyone else is right - that a revival will make things worse. That seems to be the main issue with it. But we have fake stories in this 'decline' (look at 'Taming the Tiger' and some other similar stories).

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do I know that, Alyosha?

Because I've read plenty of revival accounts - and not just the popular hagiographical ones.

Because I've visited Gypsy churches in Spain which came about through a revival / people movement.

Because I grew up in South Wales where everyone was banging on about how wonderful the Welsh Revival was all the time - and so decided to investigate and look more closely - whereupon I found that ... lo an behold, there was good stuff and bad stuff going on at one and the same time.

Because I am realistic enough to recognise that there are upsides and downsides to revival as there is with anything else - whether it's marriage, employment or any other condition.

That doesn't mean that I am 'dissing' revival nor saying that it's unnecessary or unwarranted.

No, far from it ...

All I'm saying is that many revivalists operate with a very fuzzy idea of what these things entail - and they have no real historical perspective - nor even a proper theological perspective very often ...

It isn't a case of having to 'live through' or 'experience' a revival to be able to comment on these things.

Sure, I've heard recorded testimonies of people who lived through the Hebridean revival, for instance, who were almost euphoric about it - a special spiritual atmosphere, a general awareness of the presence of God - etc etc.

Wonderful.

I'm not knocking any of that.

But we don't spend our lives blissed out in some kind of glory cloud. I've been married for over 20 years now and it's bloomin' hard work at times ... it's not some kind of euphoric state 24/7.

Same with revivals - they aren't some kind of state of suspended animation where everything is wonderful and hunkydory. People still die. People still stub their toes or get toothace or constipation, they still have to get up and go out to work, they still have to wash their socks, when they go to the lavatory they still have to use toilet paper to wipe their backsides ...

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
How do I know that, Alyosha?

Because I've read plenty of revival accounts - and not just the popular hagiographical ones.

Because I've visited Gypsy churches in Spain which came about through a revival / people movement.

Because I grew up in South Wales where everyone was banging on about how wonderful the Welsh Revival was all the time - and so decided to investigate and look more closely - whereupon I found that ... lo an behold, there was good stuff and bad stuff going on at one and the same time.

Because I am realistic enough to recognise that there are upsides and downsides to revival as there is with anything else - whether it's marriage, employment or any other condition.

That doesn't mean that I am 'dissing' revival nor saying that it's unnecessary or unwarranted.

No, far from it ...

All I'm saying is that many revivalists operate with a very fuzzy idea of what these things entail - and they have no real historical perspective - nor even a proper theological perspective very often ...

It isn't a case of having to 'live through' or 'experience' a revival to be able to comment on these things.

Sure, I've heard recorded testimonies of people who lived through the Hebridean revival, for instance, who were almost euphoric about it - a special spiritual atmosphere, a general awareness of the presence of God - etc etc.

Wonderful.

I'm not knocking any of that.

But we don't spend our lives blissed out in some kind of glory cloud. I've been married for over 20 years now and it's bloomin' hard work at times ... it's not some kind of euphoric state 24/7.

Same with revivals - they aren't some kind of state of suspended animation where everything is wonderful and hunkydory. People still die. People still stub their toes or get toothace or constipation, they still have to get up and go out to work, they still have to wash their socks, when they go to the lavatory they still have to use toilet paper to wipe their backsides ...

Then your objection is only in my romantisisation of it all? But can't you look past that?

You are relatively established as a member of the town council etc, so as a leader, you would have the good of the people as a top priority? So why would a revival of Christianity not be for the good of the people?

Come the revival, the established will be included and will show more genuine love towards the vulnerable and needy. Or I suppose that is a pie in the sky romaticisation too? Because so far it really does seem to be.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Both/and not either/or ...

As I've said a few times on this and probably other threads - I do see a revival of Christianity as a good thing - but I don't see 'revivalism' as necessarily beneficial in and of itself.

Religious enthusiasm has both upsides and downsides.

It doesn't automatically lead to the kind of justice, righteousness and integrity that you appear to assume it does. What 'revival' can do is act as a impetus for some of these things - but it doesn't, in and of itself, always do so.

Same as anything else - same as with the official adoption of Christianity within the Roman Empire. Overall, for all the chunterings of 'enthusiastic' Christians - Anabaptists and so on - it did lead to a general change in society - but it didn't do so overnight and it also led to a rise in nominalism and indifference.

I've heard, for instance, that the situation in the Roman arenas actually got worse for a while after the official Christianisation of the Roman Empire as there were suddenly far more capital offences for which people could be condemned to hideous deaths in the games and so on ...

Ok, after a while, this was rectified as it gradually filtered through to society in general that watching armed combat to the death or the massacre of animals and condemned prisoners wasn't quite compatible with Christian faith ...

It has ever been thus - change happens gradually.

Look how long it took to abolish slavery - and that within highly Christianised societies.

Revivalism didn't lead to the abolition of slavery - hard graft in Parliament, lobbying and political action led to the abolition of slavery.

Ok - some revivalists became involved with the fight against slavery - but by no means all.

It isn't simply that you have an overly romanticised view, you also seem to have an overly pietistic view as to how people's behaviour changes as a result of revival or bouts of religious enthusiasm.

There is no magic bullet.

Effecting change takes hard work.

I'm not expecting to make any real difference on the town council unless I stick with it for some considerable time. I don't have a magic wand. Neither has anyone else.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:

It isn't simply that you have an overly romanticised view, you also seem to have an overly pietistic view as to how people's behaviour changes as a result of revival or bouts of religious enthusiasm.

I'm not expecting to make any real difference on the town council unless I stick with it for some considerable time. I don't have a magic wand. Neither has anyone else.

Well I hear that council prayers are still allowed despite some opposition to them? Maybe you can use them somehow?

I'm not that pietistic, I was acknowledging that other Christians feel strongly about other things and in the event of a revival would likely push for their agendas. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. Supposedly, when a person becomes a Christian it frees them up? Or is that just a romantic idea too?

The people who don't like change, tend to be very happy with the status quo. I would simply suggest that this could influence your conclusion when it comes to a revival of Christianity.

I'm not calling for an overturning of Government. I'm introducing the idea of the possibility of making things better than they currently are.

No-one likes change. I don't like change. But some changes can make things better and they don't harm others. And this is one of them.

But it isn't about that is it? It's about egos and power and people clinging to jobs? It's about pride and maybe a little about fear too? It really shouldn't be this way.

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Absolutely. But you are probably one of the few people here to even get near to any kind of revival. Are there any benefits from it? Is it all as bogus as people fear?

Africa is far more deserving of a genuine revival than the Europe. If the stories you are hearing are fake then maybe you are right and maybe everyone else is right - that a revival will make things worse. That seems to be the main issue with it. But we have fake stories in this 'decline' (look at 'Taming the Tiger' and some other similar stories).

There are no short answers to the questions you raise, Alyosha
One of the huge drivers here in Kenya is money, the pursuit of money is written in as a way of life. My Kenyan friends will tell you that when you live somewhere where you can't trust the people in authority to use public funds for the good of everyone (and we're talking basic access to healthcare, education and food security here) then you have to go looking for the money elsewhere. In addition to normal people looking to care for their families, we then have the complicating factor of ridiculous material aspirations.
Enter the church from the wings. Money can be a driver there too and one way of encouraging the donation of money is by making people happy with stories of how their money, handed over for the cause of the gospel is reaping a harvest. I can tell you of countless "commitments to the Lord" and stories of signs and wonders at evangelistic events here in our town. But no-one really seems to follow these people up to see how their lives have changed. Then there are the stories like the one I mentioned up-thread. If and when (and I would like this to happen, I really would) I find a story I can verify I will let you know.
This is not just happening here in Kenya or in the wider African continent, this is an issue in the hearts of humanity everywhere. As is the whole story-telling to build our own egos thing. Most of my work here is with the poorest and most marginalised people in society and for some of them these stories and rumours bring hope that things will change, maybe the Spirit of God will do something for them. I often sit and weep when I hear them say these things.
But all is not lost as there are also wonderful people here who are working for no personal gain to transform the lives of people in their communities. If I am honest the signs and wonders aspects seemed linked to the wealthy churches with wealthy pastors and little or no transparency. Many Kenyan Christians are very realistic about it all.
Then there are the stories which I can verify of the people who lost loved ones in the post-election violence of 2008 and who have done the hard work of forgiveness and are now working to help resolve community based conflict to ensure such a thing never happens again. One friend of ours here was incarcerated for making a stand against corrupt practices which were impacting the lives of local people. He lives and breathes Micah 6 v8. When he speaks, people listen and lives are changed.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well I hear that council prayers are still allowed despite some opposition to them? Maybe you can use them somehow?

Business at the House of Commons begins with prayers that the members will govern wisely. It has been called the best evidence for the non-existence of God, or at the very least the inefficacy of prayer...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
quote:

There are no short answers to the questions you raise, Alyosha
One of the huge drivers here in Kenya is money, the pursuit of money is written in as a way of life. My Kenyan friends will tell you that when you live somewhere where you can't trust the people in authority to use public funds for the good of everyone (and we're talking basic access to healthcare, education and food security here) then you have to go looking for the money elsewhere. In addition to normal people looking to care for their families, we then have the complicating factor of ridiculous material aspirations.
Enter the church from the wings. Money can be a driver there too and one way of encouraging the donation of money is by making people happy with stories of how their money, handed over for the cause of the gospel is reaping a harvest. I can tell you of countless "commitments to the Lord" and stories of signs and wonders at evangelistic events here in our town. But no-one really seems to follow these people up to see how their lives have changed. Then there are the stories like the one I mentioned up-thread. If and when (and I would like this to happen, I really would) I find a story I can verify I will let you know.
This is not just happening here in Kenya or in the wider African continent, this is an issue in the hearts of humanity everywhere. As is the whole story-telling to build our own egos thing. Most of my work here is with the poorest and most marginalised people in society and for some of them these stories and rumours bring hope that things will change, maybe the Spirit of God will do something for them. I often sit and weep when I hear them say these things.
But all is not lost as there are also wonderful people here who are working for no personal gain to transform the lives of people in their communities. If I am honest the signs and wonders aspects seemed linked to the wealthy churches with wealthy pastors and little or no transparency. Many Kenyan Christians are very realistic about it all.
Then there are the stories which I can verify of the people who lost loved ones in the post-election violence of 2008 and who have done the hard work of forgiveness and are now working to help resolve community based conflict to ensure such a thing never happens again. One friend of ours here was incarcerated for making a stand against corrupt practices which were impacting the lives of local people. He lives and breathes Micah 6 v8. When he speaks, people listen and lives are changed.

It seems to me that you're doing absolutely everything you can do and are a much better person than myself (because I would be terrified in that situation). In resisting the prosperity gospel I would suggest that you are much closer to Christ than the wealthy preachers.

I don't know what to say. I wish you every success. Don't give up.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Aloysha - you say you're not pietistic then come out with pietistic suggestions such as introducing prayers before town council meetings ...

[Confused]

As it happens, a fair number of people on the town council have some kind of church background.

By no means all of them, of course.

They are also happy to support various faith-based initiatives - and I can think of several here that they have supported in some way.

You don't need a 'revival' for that to happen ... it happens as part of the general course of things.

If there were a 'revival' then the general process of government wouldn't stop or be disrupted in any way. What makes you think that it would?

In what way did the government of the UK change as a result of the 18th century revivals? It didn't.

In what way did local or regional government/politics change in the wake of the Welsh Revival? I can't see how it had any impact on those aspects whatsoever - if anything the whole thing was pietistic and otherworldly. They used to discourage people from playing sport on a weekend for goodness sake ...

[Disappointed]

Check your facts. Check your history. Check and revise your theology.

You have got completely the wrong end of the stick.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Aloysha - you say you're not pietistic then come out with pietistic suggestions such as introducing prayers before town council meetings ...

[Confused]

As it happens, a fair number of people on the town council have some kind of church background.

By no means all of them, of course.

They are also happy to support various faith-based initiatives - and I can think of several here that they have supported in some way.

You don't need a 'revival' for that to happen ... it happens as part of the general course of things.

If there were a 'revival' then the general process of government wouldn't stop or be disrupted in any way. What makes you think that it would?

In what way did the government of the UK change as a result of the 18th century revivals? It didn't.

In what way did local or regional government/politics change in the wake of the Welsh Revival? I can't see how it had any impact on those aspects whatsoever - if anything the whole thing was pietistic and otherworldly. They used to discourage people from playing sport on a weekend for goodness sake ...

[Disappointed]

Check your facts. Check your history. Check and revise your theology.

You have got completely the wrong end of the stick.

No I haven't. Town council prayers were just put into law because of the Bideford town council overturning. The National Secular Society opposed the whole thing but in the end the Government decided to retain them (simply because they look good and don't cost anything).

If the Government are completely unaffected by a nation-wide revival then I put it to you that that is because Government has very little to do with God.

So why does the Government infer that God is with them in their decisions? Because that is always their subtext.

Meanwhile, who is with the people? Not the Government, that's for sure. Thankfully God still cares for us.

[ 01. June 2015, 12:50: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is why, of course, God smote the mayor of Bideford.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

[brick wall]

You are adding dualism to your pietism.

What has the Government to do with God?

Everything has to do with God ...

Making pious, dualistic distinctions between these things doesn't get us anywhere ...

I don't see how the Bideford thing has anything to do with whatever I do or don't do or get involved in with our town council here.

If I want to pray for our town council, I can do so in the comfort of my own home or in church on a Sunday. I don't need to press the council to have prayers before each session.

Does that mean that I don't have anything to do with God either?

[Confused]

While I'm at it - can you, as a revivalist, point to ANY piece of legislation over the last 300 or 400 years here in the UK that has had anything to do with revivalism - or pressure from pietistic / revivalist Christians?

You'd be hard pressed to find anything.

Sure, the Salvation Army's revivalism in parts of London's East End and up in the North East had an effect on those involved - men turning from strong drink and rowdiness and becoming exemplary husbands and fathers etc.

I don't doubt that.

Nor do I doubt the very real impact that Booth and the Salvation Army had - alongside other agencies - in addresses social issues in late 19th century Britain.

Nor do I dismiss the impact of people of faith like Dr Barnado or Lord Shaftesbury - the latter introduced some of the most far-reaching legislation this country has seen in terms of improving working conditions -- but he was no revivalist.

Yes, of course I'd like to see more people turning to Christ. Yes, there are 'benefits' that would flow from that into wider society as a whole ... but what I'm saying is that this isn't always the corollary of revival or revivalism.

Point me to one single act of Parliament or piece of legislation, for instance, that has been brought about by religious revival.

--------------------

Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
[brick wall]

You are adding dualism to your pietism.

What has the Government to do with God?

Everything has to do with God ...

Making pious, dualistic distinctions between these things doesn't get us anywhere ...

I don't see how the Bideford thing has anything to do with whatever I do or don't do or get involved in with our town council here.

If I want to pray for our town council, I can do so in the comfort of my own home or in church on a Sunday. I don't need to press the council to have prayers before each session.

Does that mean that I don't have anything to do with God either?

[Confused]

While I'm at it - can you, as a revivalist, point to ANY piece of legislation over the last 300 or 400 years here in the UK that has had anything to do with revivalism - or pressure from pietistic / revivalist Christians?

You'd be hard pressed to find anything.

Sure, the Salvation Army's revivalism in parts of London's East End and up in the North East had an effect on those involved - men turning from strong drink and rowdiness and becoming exemplary husbands and fathers etc.

I don't doubt that.

Nor do I doubt the very real impact that Booth and the Salvation Army had - alongside other agencies - in addresses social issues in late 19th century Britain.

Nor do I dismiss the impact of people of faith like Dr Barnado or Lord Shaftesbury - the latter introduced some of the most far-reaching legislation this country has seen in terms of improving working conditions -- but he was no revivalist.

Yes, of course I'd like to see more people turning to Christ. Yes, there are 'benefits' that would flow from that into wider society as a whole ... but what I'm saying is that this isn't always the corollary of revival or revivalism.

Point me to one single act of Parliament or piece of legislation, for instance, that has been brought about by religious revival.

The Wesleys? Methodism and the resulting influences? Prison reform? Didn't the abolition of the slave trade have some roots in Christian influence too?

'Aside from contributing so much in the social sphere, Methodists were also a great influence on politics and political campaigning. In 1834, the ‘Tolpuddle Martyrs’ were sentenced to seven years’ transportation for swearing an oath to each other as part of their creation of the Friendly Society of Agricultural Labourers, when the formation of such unions was restricted. Their leader – George Loveless – was a Methodist preacher who was moved to act in this way to protest against the conditions of fellow agricultural workers. Some Methodists were also involved in the Chartist movement in the 1830s and 1840s which campaigned generally peacefully for six voting reforms to make the voting system in Britain fairer for all. However, arguably their most significant contribution to British political life was that, since many Methodists were also trade union leaders, they were instrumental in the formation of the Labour Party in 1900 which originally championed the ‘ordinary people’ and their needs. '

source

[ 01. June 2015, 15:35: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

quote:
It seems to me that you're doing absolutely everything you can do and are a much better person than myself (because I would be terrified in that situation). In resisting the prosperity gospel I would suggest that you are much closer to Christ than the wealthy preachers.

I don't know what to say. I wish you every success. Don't give up.

Thank you for your encouragement, Alyosha
I am simply doing whatever I can to live authentically as a follower of Christ in the place where I find myself, which in my opinion is all any of us can do.
The rest is up to God, revival or no revival

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Nobody's disputing the social impact of the 18th century revivals, Alyosha -- although E P Thompson certainly did, notoriously, in 'The Making of the English Working Class' where he saw Methodism as purely 'pyschic masturbation' which had no social benefits whatsoever. But then, he was a Marxist, of course ...

I'm not saying that Methodism didn't feed into Chartism and political reforms of one kind or other.

It's no accident that many trades union lodges or branches are called 'chapels'.

All I am saying is that we need to keep a sense of proportion. The evangelical and revivalist voice wasn't the only one in the Abolition movement - there were Unitarians like Josiah Wedgwood involved - as well as out and out atheists and libertines like Charles James Fox.

It's overly simplistic to see the Evangelical Awakening of the 18th century as the single, root cause of the Abolition. John Wesley certainly encouraged Wilberforce - and his last known letter is to that purpose - but not all the 18th century revivalists were Abolitionists.

George Whitfield certainly wasn't - he actually thought the slave trade was a good thing.

Also, it's rather reductionist to see the 18th century revivals as changing the character of the nation. They certainly contributed a great deal - no-one here is disputing that - but there was much else going along besides - such as the Enlightenment and so forth.

Impressive though the numbers involved undoubtedly were, they still constituted a relatively small proportion of the overall population. I think there was something like 60,000 people involved in Wesley's Methodist societies by the end of his life ... a goodly number but not a huge proportion of the population.

Sure, the Wesleys weren't the only game in town and if you add up all those involved regularly (or irregularly) with the Established Church, the various Dissenting bodies and the various religious 'societies' (not all of which had a revivalist character) then there'd have been a considerable number of people involved.

But we are talking about a generally more 'religious' age anyway ... when John Wesley founded his first 'society' on Fetter Lane, there were already another 40 religious societies of one form or other meeting around the capital.

There were 'religious societies' meeting for prayer, Bible study and discussion in many parts of the country - there were plenty of them in Yorkshire before Wesley scooped many of them up and organised them along his own particular lines.

There'd been pietistic and religious study groups since the 1720s at least - particularly in those areas of the country where parish churches were spread thinly due to topography etc.

Also, family and household prayers were still common in the large houses - where the master of the house would gather his servants and family together for daily prayer - a practice that went back to Puritan times.

What the Wesleyan impetus added was a sense of 'oomph' and enthusiasm - and 'felt' personal experience - to gatherings and initiatives of this kind. Most of the extant 'testimonies' and journal accounts were written by people who were already nominally Christian or somewhat lukewarm - in their later estimation - before their conversions.

Ok, that would mostly apply to those with sufficient education to write these things down - I don't doubt that a lot of the poorer and less well educated 'hearers' and converts were previously unchurched.

It's very hard to establish how many people actually did have regular contact with the churches back then ... the only religious census there's ever been here in the UK was taken in 1851 I believe and the organisers were shocked to find that 50% of the population didn't appear to be in church or chapel on a Sunday ...

What we have with the 18th and 19th century revivals isn't so much an ingathering of previously unchurched people - although that certainly did happen to an extent - but the 'quickening' or 'awakening' of nominal or luke-warm believers.

That's why I don't believe it makes much sense to talk of a 'revival' in a Wesleyan sense today - because the conditions are very different.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

There were certainly Methodists (and other non-conformists) involved with Chartism (particularly on the 'moral force' rather than the more violent and radical 'physical force' side) - and with the early trades union movement ... and yes, this did feed into the early Labour movement.

It's often been said that the early Labour Party 'owed more to Methodism than to Marx'.

However, keep things in proportion and in perspective.

Zephaniah Williams, one of the key Chartist leaders in South Wales, made no secret of his open antipathy to Christianity and is said to have had a picture of Christ in the pub he ran with a caption, 'The Man Who Stole The Donkey'.

Even if this is 'black-propaganda' on the part of his detractors, there was a strong vein of 'Free Thinking' and even atheism running alongside some of the more religious elements within the reformist movements of the early 19th century.

Yes, the religious revivals had an input - but as one influence alongside many others.

When you fast forward to 20th century Wales, you find many of the young people caught up in the revivalism of 1904/05 later abandoning it in order to get involved with Labour Party politics, Welsh nationalism, the Eisteddfod and other social or cultural movements.

Why?

Because revivalism will only take you so far. There's only so long you can sing revivalist hymns in the minor key or happy-clappy choruses Pentecostal style.

Sure, some revivalists did get involved with social issues and so on - but for many of them it remained very much a pietistic thing - with very little social impact beyond personal piety (which is commendable in and of itself, of course).

Yes, there were movements for prison reform and so on - but Elizabeth Fry wasn't a revivalist as far as I can tell. Nor were philanthropic Quakers such as the Rowntrees and Cadburys.

Revivalism assumes that religious observance is only 'valid' if it's on fire ...

Plenty of rather cool-customers such as the 'Prayer Book evangelical' Lord Shaftesbury had significant input and impact without being in any way 'revivalist' in terms of their own personal spirituality.

We've got to look at the aggregate of all these things and at the historical and socio-cultural contexts. A few selective quotes from this, that or the other revivalist hagiography isn't sufficient.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those points about atheism sound correct to me. My family, which has strong trade union roots back into the 19th century, were atheist through and through, and frequently cited the vicar and the squire as the twin enemies of the working man, and in fact, of progress. I suppose today the vicar and the squire are just faded relics.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Town council prayers were just put into law because of the Bideford town council overturning. The National Secular Society opposed the whole thing but in the end the Government decided to retain them (simply because they look good and don't cost anything).

If the Government are completely unaffected by a nation-wide revival then I put it to you that that is because Government has very little to do with God.

So why does the Government infer that God is with them in their decisions? Because that is always their subtext.

Meanwhile, who is with the people? Not the Government, that's for sure. Thankfully God still cares for us.

Indeed - Eric Pickles made a big fuss about tios being a Christian country - but when many of us wrote to him about trhe marginalisation of Religious Education, which is a local council issued, he didn't even bother to reply to any of us.

Maybve he was busy eating pies.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having children young enough to have not long left school, I can state with some authority that, whatever the views of the local education authority on religious education, it eventually falls to (a) the Head, and (b) the vagaries of the exam boards, as to whether or not children get much of a grounding in Christianity.

My own offspring were not only expected to study Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Janaism and Judaism in RE, they also spent a lot of time looking at Islam in what we used to call 'Civics' - the emphasis being on how one needs to wary of causing offence to adherents of the Prophet. They actually spent very little time at all 'doing' Christianity - and that was in a CofE school.

Not once in 7 years did they have a whole school assembly, or even just years 7-11, because the school didn't have anywhere big enough to hold one.

Assemblies were usually with 2 forms squeezing into one room and consisted of discussing infractions of the discipline code, asking who had detention that day, and handing out letters to go home: there was no religious content at all, other than on the last day of term, when they said the some prayers.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Which rather supports the view that Curiosity Killed aired, that the 'secularisation' of 'religious education' from the 1970s onwards has all but killed off any chance of us tapping into a residual awareness of Christianity in future.

I was probably the last generation which received traditional 'religious instruction' at school ... a normal primary and junior school and a bog-standard comprehensive.

We did get to sing the traditional hymns and, it being South Wales, we did tend to sing them with gusto.

A great deal of it stuck with me - both from school assemblies and from Sunday school. Our parish church wasn't noted for its 'liveliness' and the rector - God rest his soul - had a speech impediment and was difficult to understand - at least for us kids.

I dropped out when confirmation classes started but had a general, 'working knowledge' of concepts such as the Trinity and Deity of Christ ... so when I encountered earnest evangelicals at university there was already something 'there' for them to work with ... or the Holy Spirit to work with if you prefer.

Another of these both/and things ...

I'm not saying that what applied to me as an individual also applies to society at large - but it seems axiomatic to me - from my reading around the subject of 'revival' and 'revivalism' - that what most Pentecostals and charismatic evangelicals understand by revival can only really take place within a nominally or habitually Christianised context.

Yes, people can and do come to faith from previously unchurched backgrounds - but generally not in any large numbers. We've got to start 'further back' and can't assume a level of knowledge of the Christian Gospel in a way that previous generations did.

Ok - in missiological terms there are exceptions to this general rule - the 'People Movements' that occur from time to time among particular tribal groups or sections of society - the Lisu people of Burma/Myanmar being one of the prime examples from the 1850s onwards.

The 'Gypsy Revival' among the Romany people of Europe from the 1950s onwards would be another example.

I think these should be considered as a separate missiological category to what is generally termed 'revival' - and it would be interesting to explore what social factors assist or encourage such apparently spontaneous movements.

Meanwhile, back to Britain -- it strikes me as odd how we should somehow expect or anticipate some kind of 'revival' - as if this is our God-given right in some way.

Whoever said that we were guaranteed to have such a thing? The Apostle Paul and the early Christians were convinced that Christ was going to return in their life-times - that the end of the world was imminent. They had to revise that view in the light of experience.

Equally, who among the thriving North African church of the early centuries could have foreseen a time when Christians were in a minority? Ok, so the Copts are a sizeable minority in Egypt - perhaps 10% of the population - but how many Christians are there across Libya, Algeria and Morocco? Sure, there are pockets among the Berber peoples and others ... but compared to how many there were in the 5th, 6th and 7th centuries ...

I'm wondering what 'basis' there is to 'expect' some kind of revival. Who says so? Where does this idea come from?

I certainly don't expect Christianity to disappear in these islands - but I don't expect to see a sudden reverse of secularism either.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
.....My own offspring ... spent a lot of time looking at Islam in what we used to call 'Civics' - the emphasis being on how one needs to wary of causing offence to adherents of the Prophet. They actually spent very little time at all 'doing' Christianity - and that was in a CofE school....

Perhaps if people were scared that we might blow them up, we might get more attention.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I'd have thought that not causing offence to people was a pretty desirable characteristic ... irrespective of whether some extremists are prepared to retaliate violently when such offence is offered or received.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well indeed. But why is so much attention given to Islam? Sure, it's the biggest non-Christian religion in the UK- but basically it's because people are scared of it, or rather of its most extreme adherents, in a way they're not scared of Hindus, Sikhs, Jews, or Christians.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Well, if that is the case, then surely it makes sense to teach kids about it ...

We teach them not to do other dangerous things.

Anyhow - the point in question here isn't Islam nor any of the other religions here in the multi-cultural UK but what Alyosha calls 'the soul of Britain' ... which somehow seems to have become tangled up in a debate about revival and revivalism ...

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
.....My own offspring ... spent a lot of time looking at Islam in what we used to call 'Civics' - the emphasis being on how one needs to wary of causing offence to adherents of the Prophet. They actually spent very little time at all 'doing' Christianity - and that was in a CofE school....

Perhaps if people were scared that we might blow them up, we might get more attention.
Actually, I read somewhere that the number of Westerners becoming Muslims increased after 9/11. This is because they started to read about Islam and ask questions about it, the better to understand what was going on. Some of the answers the enquirers received were obviously more positive than negative.

I often wonder if Islam will have an influence on the 'soul of Britain' in the future. Certainly, the assumption that whiteness and Christianity will easily represent the national identity well into the next century is likely to be increasingly problematic.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alyosha
Shipmate
# 18395

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

Actually, I read somewhere that the number of Westerners becoming Muslims increased after 9/11. This is because they started to read about Islam and ask questions about it, the better to understand what was going on. Some of the answers the enquirers received were obviously more positive than negative.

I often wonder if Islam will have an influence on the 'soul of Britain' in the future. Certainly, the assumption that whiteness and Christianity will easily represent the national identity well into the next century is likely to be increasingly problematic.

That's similar to the idea that if the Church were personified (as she is), she would not be white. And I think that is a fair personification.

[ 02. June 2015, 09:31: Message edited by: Alyosha ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016