homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eagles and Turkeys -- USA 2015 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eagles and Turkeys -- USA 2015
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bald eagles and Wild turkeys, that is. A nod to our national bird and to Ben Franklin's candidate for the honor.

The old year is winding down here, and I am no way going to make it to midnight. I'm usually up at about 4 am to work an early shift at BurgerPalace, so midnight isn't part of my world anymore.

It's cold here in the Bay Area: morning temps have been in the 30sF or low single digits C. The last time we had temps this low several homeless people froze to death. A local paper worried about the same thing happening again; there are apparently about 7500 people in the Silicon Valley sleeping rough on a regular basis. I'll be praying for them as I go to sleep tonight.

Happy New Year to everyone here!

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The eagle might, just might, become edible in the slow cooker after a decent marinade in a bottle or 2 of red - then add lots of speck, garlic, onions and so forth into the cooking. A hindquarter of the turkey would probably be good roasted in an oven bag, with carrots and leeks with it.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy new year to all my chums to the south! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who you calling a turkey, bub? [Biased]

We were invited to a big party and jam session, and The Fella was very excited. I was just not feeling it. I am crabby and cranky and want to read my goddamn book and get-off-my-lawn. Thankfully the Fella was completely understanding and went out to party without me. I'm so lucky to have a guy who is okay with that.

And frankly I'm thrilled... THRILLED!!! To have my first NYE in probably 10 years where I'm not working. Screw parties, I'm vegging with the cat!

Here's to 2015 being our year, gang!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First post from me in a long time on the ship.
And first post from me in 2015! [Smile]
Wanted to say its still very cold still here in the Bay Area...my car said 38 F but my coworker said it was 20 F when he left for the train on his bike.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yikes. No wonder I keep retreating to the duvet.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All quiet on the southwest front. COLD here and snow coming. 2014 closed and hello 2015!

Hope you all have a great year.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Here's to 2015 being our year, gang!

Your mouth to God's ear, hon. (Your keyboard to God's screen? Just doesn't quite translate...)

Hi duchess!!

It turned bitterly cold in the Chicago area for NYE. My chorus had an early performance at First Night Evanston, and I was looking forward to heading out to other venues and hear other artists and sampling all the food, but ended up just going home and putting on my warm pj's!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's to 2015. I'm hoping to get a job and be back working after a year and a half off. I spent a chunk of today dealing with the fact that Washington State Health Insurance Site screwed up on my Obama care insurance so the insurance company hasn't heard of me. Apparently they've done this a lot. In the mean time, I have to pay for everything and hope I get reimbursed.
Other than that, I'm hoping to muddle through for a while. We shall see.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yikes. No wonder I keep retreating to the duvet.

My heater needs to be rebuilt, the realty company says. They have ordered the parts, and there is no ETA for their arrival. The last two evenings I went out, but tonight the cats and I are under the duvet.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Temps finally dropped, here, after RAIN NYE! Wind chills are around -30, and while I wanted some cold, we didn't have to go crazy.

Also- last year this time we had 6' of snow. Right now we have 2" of ice. Blech.

My winter total of shovelling so far amounts to 10 minutes.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
... My winter total of shovelling so far amounts to 10 minutes.

That's 10 minutes more than I've done, Comet, and long may that continue!

It's forecast to be a tad chilly here tonight: at the moment it's -14°C (8°F) with a wind-chill of -27 (-16). That's quite cold enough for me, and I'm no sun-worshipper. [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, California shipmates, was anyone near the earthquakes today? JB said 4.5 isn't huge, but it will shake you a bit.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hm... only ones I could track down were well south of here. SoCal Mates?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst away this weekend I read Joseph Hansen's excellent Living Upstairs and the characters are all complaining about the cold in Los Angeles - I thought SoCal was generally warm, I didn't realise it could be cold and wet and miserable as well.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angelenos have a different idea of cold and wet than the rest of the world.

My brother married a woman who was born in Michigan. They met in San Francisco and moved to LA. After a year or so, D. would complain bitterly about the cold in SF when they came back to visit. Michigan was only a memory.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Usually the coastal climate hovers between 45-70 degrees Fahrenheit. When temps drop below 40," we'e freezing to death!" And above 80, "We're melting!" ( add about 5 degrees to each number for SoCal.)

Up here (and I hear in the southern inland valleys) the temps a couple weeks ago dropped into the mid-20s, which is unusual. i was driving on Stevens Valley Road ( close to Duchessland) and passed a cliffside in the woods that had apparently been in the shade all day-- an underground spring runoff had become a frozen waterfall overnight, and stayed that way all day. That's just weird, around here.

[ 05. January 2015, 15:35: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Angelenos have a different idea of cold and wet than the rest of the world.

My brother married a woman who was born in Michigan. They met in San Francisco and moved to LA. After a year or so, D. would complain bitterly about the cold in SF when they came back to visit. Michigan was only a memory.

True. Though my mother (a Michigander) used to tell us SoCal kids the usual exaggerated stories about how horrible it was. Until she came to St. Louis and lived in our humidity for a weekend.

No more Michigan stories.

Sadly, no more family visits, either. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Hey, California shipmates, was anyone near the earthquakes today? JB said 4.5 isn't huge, but it will shake you a bit.

Missed it, I guess. Looking at the map, it was a bit far north to be felt around my way. If I were nearby (radius 25 mi?) it would be detectable at that strength.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's 15 degrees with about a 20 mph north wind blowing right now....frickin-frackin' colder than a well diggers hind end...

At least it's not snowing as well, although I'm thinking a little cloud cover would be fine...keep what little heat is in the ground down overnight. They're talking about single digits plus a wind chill tonight...brrrrrrr

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
colder than a well diggers hind end...

Bess, you made me laugh. My father used to say that, and, growing up out on the plains as he did, he knew cold!

We'll be in single-digits here today with it dipping below zero. I don't even want to think about the wind chills. I'm going downtown tonight so as not to waste an expensive theater ticket. I can park within a block of the place, but it still means walking across a bridge over the Chicago River, and I'm not looking forward to that!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a beautiful, clear day and 77 degrees here in Central Arizona.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
84 F today, 55 F on New Years Day. That's SoCal in January. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My pipes froze last night, and it's getting colder tonight. I have got to get a decent job so I can insulate this house!

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The temperature here this morning was 1°F. I intend to stay home all day.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's been snowing steadily here since the middle of the night - we've now got about 8 inches and rising.

At least I got a snow-day from w*rk. [Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like early summer (from my childhood in the North) in my backyard right now! The laurel oak is all decked out in its new bright green leaves! And it smells so nice outside! (The neighbor isn't smoking in his backyard, so very nice for me!)

Love this time of year!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw a wonderful exhibit of pictures of Mary while I was in Washington over Christmas.

It's going to be around until April. I recommend it very highly.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am currently considering a short trip to New York next month. Have never been further west than Ramsey Island before, just off the coast of Pembrokeshire.

Do you lot have any recommendations for things to do, places to go in New York?

Also, I'd quite like to arrive at Grand Central station. Can you arrive there from any of the local airports? All I could find were journeys that got you to Penn Station which is a bit of dump by all accounts.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everything depends on how much $ and time you have and are willing to expend. In NYC the sky is the limit.
If you are arriving by air and taking a train into the city, then you are going to have to accept where the train stations go. Do not let the alleged crappiness of Penn Station faze you; it's tons better than it was 20 years ago and is nothing to worry about. Grand Central has been beautifully renovated and can be visited separately if that's what you want to see. (Be sure and look up at the constellations on the ceiling!)
The one thing I do urge visitors to the city to take is the Circle cruise boat that goes around Manhattan. Weather permitting, you can see all the iconic sights without bucking traffic or investing a huge time: the Statue of Liberty, the World Trade Center site, the Empire State Building, the bridges, the Chrysler Building. Don't do it if it is bitterly cold or raining, but if conditions allow don't miss it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I saw a wonderful exhibit of pictures of Mary while I was in Washington over Christmas.

It's going to be around until April. I recommend it very highly.

Moo

There is also an exhibit in Santa Fe and it was wonderful
Exhibit URL

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, you're sort of stuck coming in to Penn Station, but it's really not that bad, just not glamorous like Grand Central.

Consider coming out to the Bronx and seeing the Bronx Zoo, well worth it even in winter.

Aside from that, all the traditional sights, museums, the Statue of Liberty, the Staten Island ferry, (which is free and gives a great ride), a play on Broadway, Ellis Island...

If you're interested in a ship-meet, I think there's just me now but if you want to drop me a PM, we can try and work something out.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
... Ellis Island...

We did Ellis Island when we were in NY, because my maternal grandparents were married there. We typed my grandfather's name (which was luckily unusual enough to make him easy to find) into one of the computers, and got a print-out of the manifest of the ship he travelled on, with the date, his occupation (joiner) and nationality ("Scotch" [Big Grin] ).

Although they didn't stay (I think my grandmother either became unwell or didn't take to the climate, so they went back to Scotland), it was a fascinating place; I could imagine my grandmother's apprehension, arriving with hundreds of others and looking for my grandfather in the crowd in the arrivals hall.

If you're interested in churches/cathedrals, St. John the Divine is worth a look, for its vastness if nothing else.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks.

I'd try to do some normal touristy things try to avoid too many cliches. I get annoyed by tourists in London who clog up the pavements, stand on the left side of the escalator, etc. I know you're considered stingy if you tip anything less than 15% and that most prices are stated exclusive of VAT, but am not sure what other foibles I need to watch out for.

Had in mind to visit the museum of maths and try to find some lovely bookshops. Cathedrals aren't really my thing, Piglet. I'm much more of a "churches are people, not buildings" kind of person. Plus, nothing can compare the might of Durham cathedral! [Biased]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brit jumping in, with all the experience of six fun-filled days (to quote 'Splash') in NYC!

If coming from JFK by subway, bear in mind that express trains only stop at certain stations. If you are a London Tube veteran you may get confused by those little white circles on the map, as we did. Had to walk 9 blocks in the snow, with luggage, to find our hotel. And didn't care, because we were in NYC baby!

I can recommend a shipmeet with Nicole! And perhaps a walking food tour. We did the Village one which was wonderful and has given me a lifelong desire for cannolis...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[tangent ON]
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
... nothing can compare the might of Durham cathedral ...

I'll go along with that, especially as it was built by the same people that did this place. [Smile]
[/tangent OFF]

[ 15. January 2015, 14:44: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been away from NYC for some time now but would assume that certain scams aimed at unsuspecting tourists are still found.

Beware of anyone who hails a taxi for you, or opens a taxi door for you, or offers to put your luggage in the taxi for you, and then asks you to pay him the fare. (This does not apply to uniformed doormen at upscale hotels, who will expect only a tip in return for their services.)

Beware also of drivers of private cars who try to pass themselves off as taxi drivers.

Also, in taxis, the fare shown on the meter when you arrive at your destination is the fare you pay (plus tip), regardless of how many passengers may be in your party. Beware of any attempt to charge each passenger the full fare separately.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remember than many of the museums in NYC charge money for admission, sometimes quite a hefty sum.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly New York no longer has many notable bookstores. One remaining one is The Strand, which is a used bookstore near Union Square. If you are extremely fond of a particular author you can often find used review copies that appear before publication.

Penn Station is a sad hole in the ground. If you are a train fan, the subway from Penn Station ( uptown on the IRT to 42 and then a shuttle) will give you a sense of the complexity of the system.
Grand Central has been thoroughly renovated and a lot of food courts have been crammed into what used to be lobby space for huge numbers of passengers. It's an amazing building in how it weaves spaces together for human, train and auto flow. My nostalgic favorite is the Grand Central Oyster Bar which is a relic of a time when New York shipped Oysters all over the country.

Central Park is worth a look on your way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There's also the much newer highline park, a park conversion of an old elevated freight train line that is quite popular.

I'm fond of the Lower East Side where you still can find a few holdouts like Katz Delicatessen and Yonah Schimmel Knish Shop left over from the early 20th century. I haven't been yet, but the tenement museum is a amaller snapshot of the immigrant experience if you don't want to go to Ellis Island.

Things in New York tend to be expensive. There are over 10,000 restaurants ranging from cheap to more expensive than you can imagine in every possible ethnicity. There's a whole block of Cuban Chinese restaurants to give an example.

Much of the younger generation has been priced out of Manhattan, and you might want to find a reason to visit Brooklyn for craft beers.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Up here (and I hear in the southern inland valleys) the temps a couple weeks ago dropped into the mid-20s, which is unusual. i was driving on Stevens Valley Road ( close to Duchessland) and passed a cliffside in the woods that had apparently been in the shade all day-- an underground spring runoff had become a frozen waterfall overnight, and stayed that way all day. That's just weird, around here.

Duchessland...hehe. That is fairly close to me. And it has been beautiful to see some water there. I think of a bunny with an axe whenever I go near So. SF...even SFO. [Smile]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That was a gorgeous drive. Wish my car wan't acting up. I love driving down there.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Hello lovely people! Sorry for being an absentee Shippie, I don't promise it will get any better before March. My team is qbout to go to the State competition and my hours are FULL.

And getting fuller. I came to crow! I just accepted a REALLY COOL JOB! (which makes job #4, but #3 i have to resign, so it's still a net of 3 jobs) this one is going to be a blast and a good fit for me, and... it will actually be enough to pay the bills! (the highest salary I've ever gotten, TBH)

I'm the new assistant director for the Southeast Alaska State Fair. It's a big job, but totally suited to my skills. And let's be honest- they want to pay me to throw parties all year. What's not to love?

My boss is super cool, and she LOVES employees who are involved in the community, so I can work my schedule around hosting morning news and coaching the kids.

I feel so blessed!

And now The Fella is putting in for a job he is equally suited to, and would get him away from a very toxic working atmosphere at the school. It's a bigger "If" with his situation: the field is extremely competitive. So prayers would be appreciated. If he gets that, not only would we both be doing work we're passionate about, and making enough money to eat; we'd also both be in range to walk to work. Which would be a beautiful bonus!

Woohoo!

[ 02. February 2015, 21:34: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

That's terrific, comet. Congratulations!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What basso said!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, congrats, Comet!!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, that sounds great! Congratulations to you and the decision makers at the Alaska State Fair.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huge congratulations, Comet, and best of luck to The Fella with his new job application.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

YAY Comet -- what fabulous news. The job sounds like a great fit for you and vice-versa. And good luck to The Fella! (And to your team.)

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet! That sounds awesome! Congrats! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016