homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Eagles and Turkeys -- USA 2015 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eagles and Turkeys -- USA 2015
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She got a brief mention on the Weather Channel here this morning, and the track they seemed to be projecting didn't look as if she was likely to head our way, but you never know with these things: it only seems to take a little nudge in wind direction to send them scurrying up the coast to us ... [Eek!]

Either way, I hope you'll all be safe and well, and your houses will still be where you left them. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see one neighbor with shutters up, but only on the bigger windows. The others are open to the air! I'll probably get my orchids in, just so a stray gust doesn't send them through a window or smashed on the ground.

Yesterday we had a big thunder-boomer and there was a possible tornado just a mile or so west of me. I remember hearing a funny sound during the storm. It took down big boughs from a venerable sunburn tree and had so many palm fronds on the road that I was looking for Jesus on a donkey!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What has happened that this has gone unposted on for a whole freaking MONTH? [Waterworks]

Up at night late typing as everybody else snores. We are in possession of one absolutely gorgeous 14 week old puppy who has teeth like a shark and the personality of a two-year-old on coffee. She was given to us as a Chihuahua mix, but then again this is the same community which gave us a "rare Vietnamese jungle fowl" which turned out to be a good old American rooster, so..

The vet says she'll be 50 lbs and is probably mostly pitbull. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

The internet puppy calculators say she'll be 20 lbs or so and is possibly staffy or pit bull mixed with ??? Me, I'm hoping they didn't totally lie about the Chihuahua bit. We have no way of tracking down the original giver to see what Mama looks like or how big she is.

She looked like this though a bit older when we got her. Google images just conked out on me, so I can't show you what she looks like older, but it's more deerlike than the standard pit bull. She doesn't have big feet either.

I'm mildly perturbed by the thought of a 50 lb dog with a whacking long tail knocking everything off the tables and shelves all winter long!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eagles and Turkeys...one of our favorites has died. [Waterworks]

Ozzie and Harriet have raised several broods of eaglets under our watchful eyes here. Ozzie was injured (hit by a train?) a few months ago, and tried to go back to Harriet when he recovered. A younger, handsome stranger had been keeping company with her and apparently took offense at Ozzie's return.

Poor old Ozzie was badly injured and died Tuesday night. We will miss him.

Last week, I saw two eagles soaring over one of our main highways. Perhaps it was Harriet and Handsome Stranger?

Good luck with your puppy, LC!!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! So sad about the iggle. We have an eagle rehabilitation place within walking distance--I confess to hoping my son decides to help them out for his Scout Eagle project, because then they show up at the Court of Honor with a live eagle in tow. [Yipee]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Oh, no! [Frown]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
...I confess to hoping my son decides to help them out for his Scout Eagle project, because then they show up at the Court of Honor with a live eagle in tow. [Yipee]

...or being towed by a large eagle?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Ozzie and Harriet have raised several broods of eaglets under our watchful eyes here. Ozzie was injured (hit by a train?) a few months ago, and tried to go back to Harriet when he recovered. A younger, handsome stranger had been keeping company with her and apparently took offense at Ozzie's return.

Poor old Ozzie was badly injured and died Tuesday night. We will miss him.

Last week, I saw two eagles soaring over one of our main highways. Perhaps it was Harriet and Handsome Stranger?

This might sound lame, but do you think we owe them a group condolence card? Ozzie was such a prescence around here...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy

# 333

I don't think it sounds lame at all. I guess it's a matter of which recipient? CROW does a magnificent job of rehabilitating wildlife (including Ozzie), the family that owns the property where the eagle nest is located has done a true service to us all by maintaining the eagle cam, and of course, there are all of us who have cared. We watched eggs hatch and eaglets fledge, and watchful eagle parents caring for and feeding their young.

But, yes, a very compassionate thought!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

My first thought was the family that hosted the webcam.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

The family's address can be found on this page, if you scroll down a bit.

I suspect others have had the same kind thought as you, Kelly!

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harriett, the eagle, looks so lonely on the webcam. [Tear]

Visited with the resilient Jedi the other day in Florida. Had a great lunch (the Cracker Barrel waitress just steered clear of us because I warned her we would be rowdy!!!) [Killing me]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

We are getting some cooler weather! Cool is awesome!

Well, the next few mornings are supposed to be in the high 60s. I'll take it.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if any bookworms among you on your side of the pond can help me remember the name of a book that I was sent.
It's about a man who tends people's yards, and who has a passion for mazes and labyrinths. I thought it was called the Lawnmower man, but this turns out to be a completely different book/film.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I wonder if any bookworms among you on your side of the pond can help me remember the name of a book that I was sent.
It's about a man who tends people's yards, and who has a passion for mazes and labyrinths. I thought it was called the Lawnmower man, but this turns out to be a completely different book/film.

I may be way off, but your description reminds me of the book by Canadian author, Carol Shields. It is called, "Larry's Party". A description is found here.

[ 20. October 2015, 22:03: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

I may be way off, but your description reminds me of the book by Canadian author, Carol Shields. It is called, "Larry's Party". A description is found here.
Thank you Lily Pad - I think that's the one. I got the 1st 2 letters correct.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't forget to turn your clocks back an hour tonight. Whee! Extra sack time.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Good reminder!
Plus, don't eat all the Hallowe'en candy before the littles can ask for it!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's my second Halloween in my new place, and it's two for two with rain, cold, and no doorbell-ringers. It's a good thing I purchased only candy I like to eat (Almond Joy),

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Don't forget to turn your clocks back an hour tonight ...

[Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the first time I can remember I was up and doing things with friends when the time changed.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Rain Dance, Some trees we hear are still smoldering from valley forrest fire so this first good rain makes us all feel a lot safer. The down side is some people who lost their homes are still camping out in tents and we have been told to expect flooding in heavy rain, as ground cover has burned away.

I am blessed to be high and dry with a roof over my head, as fire stopped 30 yards from my front door, but my heart hurts for friends and neighbors who have lost so much.

Some moments I can forget about the fire, then I drive down the street and it all comes back. No doubt a bit of survivors remorse going on here.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a unique traffic experience today. I was driving to Lewisburg,WV to attend a 2 PM memorial service. I've driven there often before, and it normally takes me an hour and three quarters. I figured if I left home at noon, I would have plenty of time. I was unpleasantly surprised.

All of the WV part of the trip is made on route 219. It is a well-designed and maintained mountain road. However, it is a mountain road with narrower lanes and one lane each way. Normally, if you get behind something slow, you will be able to pass it sooner or later. Today there was a very wide house trailer being hauled from one place to another. It was much wider than our lane of the road. The driver drove in the middle of the road except when there was oncoming traffic; then he moved over just enough to let the other vehicles past. There was no way the vehicles behind could pass him. The speed limit most of the way was 55; his speed ranged from 20 to 35, except when he came to a sharp curve, when he would slow down to less than 5. He was in front of me for approximately twenty-five miles.

Instead of arriving at 1:45, I got there at 2:10. Fortunately the service didn't start for another five minutes, so I wasn't late.

The whole business was a very frustrating experience.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Moo, I felt so much frustration for you as I read what you had to go through. You would think the driver would have turned off on occasion to allow the parade behind him to go past. I'm glad you did get to your destination in time.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I saw a wonderful production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar last night.

The cast were from the American Shakespeare Company's theater in Staunton. It was very gripping.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I saw a wonderful production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar last night.

The cast were from the American Shakespeare Company's theater in Staunton. It was very gripping.

Moo

I was just looking at their website yesterday! I was trying to see if there was anyway to get there to see Henry V from Washington, DC, when I visit there next spring. (I won't have a car, so apparently there isn't.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

The theater in Staunton is wonderful. It's the world's only facsimile of the Blackfriars theater. The stage projects much farther forward than modern stages It helps the actors interact with the audience, which they do frequently.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are in DC, we should try and organize a Shippie get together.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The theater in Staunton is wonderful. It's the world's only facsimile of the Blackfriars theater. The stage projects much farther forward than modern stages It helps the actors interact with the audience, which they do frequently.

Moo

I'll have to get there some time -- I've heard wonderful things about it. I love the way the actors use the thrust stage at the London Globe to interact with the Groundlings.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
If you are in DC, we should try and organize a Shippie get together.

Yes! I'll be there with a group from Road Scholars (formerly Elderhostel), but I'm hoping it works out that I can stay a couple days afterwards. I had been hoping to suggest a Shipmeet once I know more details.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent. Pick a day and a time, and put up an invite! If you want advice selecting a meeting place we can discuss.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, and I do have a car.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Excellent. Pick a day and a time, and put up an invite! If you want advice selecting a meeting place we can discuss.

Super! I'm not going until May, so we can post something in the spring. I'll PM you with more details.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Today three Tech students came and raked all my leaves. They belong to a group that does yard work for free, but accepts checks made out to the Cancer Society.

They are a spinoff from the Relay for Life. They would rather do some sort of practical work instead of walking around a track.

I'm very glad they feel that way. Whenever I need any help with yard work, I get in touch with them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a great idea, Moo.

When I moved here, i rented a truck and two strapping teenagers from sons' church did almost all the heavy work.

After they had finished , i went to pay them and they refused. Son then explained it was for their youth group fund which went to help disadvantaged young people who came to youth group. In that area, there was no shortage of kids who could benefit from the scheme. I already knew a fair market price for their job and paid them that, to their surprise.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm just dropping in to wish y'all a merry and food-filled Thanksgiving.

You'll find some indigestion tablets in the cupboard above the kettle. [Big Grin]

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

The American community here in our town in Kenya gathered today for a big feast at lunchtime but I had to work so am now waiting for my husband to come home and we'll have pretzels and white wine as a token offering.
Will try to talk to my family later on Skype

Hope you all have fun [Yipee]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving all!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Thanksgiving from over here, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While the world may not be perfect, we have a lot to be grateful for today.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I just listened to "Alice's Restaurant," so it's officially Thanksgiving. Now off to church...

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy thanksgiving to all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I am seriously overstuffed.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

So am I. However, there are masses of leftovers, which is a good thing. If everything was eaten up then we did not make enough.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I just listened to "Alice's Restaurant," so it's officially Thanksgiving. Now off to church...

Sweet [Big Grin]

I passed around the "As God is my witness" clip from WKRP in Cincinatti" and hopefully at some point over the weekend I will view my favorite Thanksgiving film, "Pieces of April."

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We had a thoroughly delightful Thanksgiving here! For the first time ever, there was no bird in the oven, but ribeyes and salmon on the grill. Cleanup and prep were easier, but there is no carcass for soup.

Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We had a thoroughly delightful Thanksgiving here! For the first time ever, there was no bird in the oven, but ribeyes and salmon on the grill. Cleanup and prep were easier, but there is no carcass for soup.

Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Here is a hint for cooking salmon which you may not know.

I don't know what you call it at your neck of the woods, but place the salmon on a piece of baking paper, parchment or whatever, before you place it on grill. This works for grill with bars or a flat surface or a frying pan etc. skin will still brown or go crunchy. Cooking time is the same. When done to your liking, pick up edges of paper to remove or take fish off with an egg slice etc.

No fishy mess to clean off whatever you used to cook it.. Brilliant.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Anyone tried it in the dishwasher? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Damn! [Cool]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016