homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I've seen Star Wars - the spoiler thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I've seen Star Wars - the spoiler thread
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a vid in which John Boyega answers that question.
Star Wars has always been a mix of British and American accents to me so I never gave it a thought. I sort of agree with his, and Abrams' decision. Though I think it could have been solved with diction rather than a change of nationality.

I loved that a black character has dimension. Not a caricature or stereotype. I think JB did a fantastic job.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally got to see it today! Loved it... but the same quibble as others have mentioned about the weapon. In fact, how did they use it the first time, on the Republic, and then still have a sun left to use it again?

I was slightly spoilerized, I knew there was a major character death, just not whose, and I wasn't even thinking of it when Han was killed, so it came as a shock, as it should.

Loved the new characters. Worthy successors to the old ones. Even Ren being a pouty, pimply teenager.

One question, did it ever say who the old man at the beginning who gave the map to Po was? The opening identified him as an "old friend", but I didn't recognize him and I don't think they ever mentioned his name.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, I was honored to be able to watch Star Wars with St. Sebastian, who had not seen it yet. This was view number four for me, and I see new things each time.

Since I know what's going on regarding the main story, now I can pay attention to other details that make the story feel like someone's real life. One such thing is the doll that looks like an X-Wing pilot in Rey's AT-AT home.

Anyway, St. S was very excited about the movie, and we talked about it and the original three all the way to his car!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
One question, did it ever say who the old man at the beginning who gave the map to Po was? The opening identified him as an "old friend", but I didn't recognize him and I don't think they ever mentioned his name.

Wookiepedia is your friend - to this and many other questions!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lor_San_Tekka

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
... but the same quibble as others have mentioned about the weapon. In fact, how did they use it the first time, on the Republic, and then still have a sun left to use it again?

I didn't mind the sun draining, or the new-sun-finding - such things are explainable given the level of technology that has been achieved in this universe.

The bit that pissed me off was how instantaneous the whole thing was. A planet launches an attack on some other planets in a completely different star system, and it strikes home in about fifteen seconds? That's some faster-than-faster-than-light shit going on there! Even in-universe hyperdrive-powered spaceships wouldn't do the journey that quickly, and they can make point five past lightspeed!

But maybe the weapon fires super-duper-hyperdrive-capable beams. OK. So how in the name of Jabba's piano-playing elephant did the people on the weapon planet see it happen so quickly? Even if the attack itself only took fifteen seconds it should still have taken decades for the beams of light they're looking at light to reach them.

And don't give me any "they were in the same system" crap. Firstly, they clearly weren't because the Republic system still had a working sun, and secondly someone on Jupiter could attack Earth and there would still be a good half hour gap between the attack hitting home and it being visible to the attacker. And Jupiter is by no means the furthest planet from Earth in our solar system. Space Is BIG.

As for the fact that a group of people on a third unrelated planet were apparently able to look up at the sky and watch the whole thing go down in real time as well - that's just Binks-level bullshit.

That's my only problem with the movie, but boy is it a big one.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Next thing you'll be complaining that no planet has more than one ecosystem. Or that no two locations on any given planet are more than a couple of hours apart at subsonic speeds.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do rather agree with Marvin - despite not having seen it yet.

People have no sense of scale. Dr Who with people living, unchanged, for 4 1/2 billion years (wasn't it) - as a friend says, if you can't tell the difference between that and waiting for a 68 bus...

It's one of the problems with creationists.

Terry Pratchett, in "Only You Can Save the World" had a character who devised a computer game on a voyage to Alpha Centauri, which worked in real time. Fifth quote down.

SW VI was the same though. Everyone knew the Emperor was dead at the same time. And had time to order the fireworks in.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

As for the fact that a group of people on a third unrelated planet were apparently able to look up at the sky and watch the whole thing go down in real time as well - that's just Binks-level bullshit.

Not going to tell you what you should like or dislike. But Binks and the obvious science flaws are entirely different issues.
There is no level system to compare them.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else see Rey's transport (incidentally, I loved the near-dead planet strewn with wreckage), and think Massey Ferguson 35, or was it just me?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's exactly what I thought of! Rey's transport is a wee bit faster than the tractor I used to drive when I was a kid. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of my uncle's old Farmall 100, but it's pretty much the same thing.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

My first and continued thought the entire time it was on screen was how inefficient a vehicle it was for a scavenger.
But I think this is more what they were trying to imply.

[ 02. February 2016, 17:25: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course a long time separates the first trilogy and this new movie ... and we have seen other movie series in the meantime.

So when Rey and Kylo Ren are fighting in the snow and they both try to fetch the light sabre, all I could think was: "The wand chooses the wizard".

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, MSHB.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Indiana Jones Easter Egg in The Force Awakens

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw it for the second time, and i think it holds up to repeated viewings, though the main plot holes still remain.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016