homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Heaven : The One True Bacon -------- (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven : The One True Bacon --------
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smoked or unsmoked? I tend to prefer mine unsmoked but have had good smoky bacon. All I ask is that it shouldn't be too salty. Though it can always be blanched.

(Having read this thread, now I want to make it a priority to get to a farmers' market and treat myself to something wonderful, like Oxfordshire black bacon, or some Gloucester Old Spot choice cuts. There will have to be bacon this weekend. With fried tomatoes, egg and toast.)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rare breeds? Have you tried boar bacon?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... There will have to be bacon this weekend. With fried tomatoes, egg and toast ...

I'll be right over. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
This makes me wonder how common bacon in the US became stripey,

Streaky is a cheaper cut?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
This makes me wonder how common bacon in the US became stripey,

Streaky is a cheaper cut?
Could have something to do with the shape and breeding of pigs Over There, as well as the cuts.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That occurred to me, too, Sioni, but I also thought thinner strips might handle better in the smoking process, and thus be more amenable when packed in a barrel and slung in the back of a wagon.

I guess I should look it up, huh? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. A bit of poking doesn't reveal much. What Americans call bacon was first mass produced by Oscar Meyer in 1924, but it doesn't say why that type of bacon was chosen to be mass produced. I suppose cost might be a factor, but they wouldn't have picked it if nobody would eat it.

There are some interesting comparisons to pancetta, which makes me wonder about the timing-- the turn of the 20th century saw a big influx of Italian immigrants, so what if someone tried to fry up some pancetta and discovered it yielded a pleasing, crispy texture?

After that it's a small step to, "And whaddayaknow, the cheaper, streaky bacon fries up cripsy, too!"

I bow to anyone whose Google-fu is better than mine.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's more that you can do with back loin - you can make chops and joints for roasting. Bacon's about the best thing you can do with a pork belly.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So basically somewhere along the line the less useful cut started getting used on purpose to get that specific texture. I'm guessing.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found this: A guide to bacon styles and how to make proper British rashers

quote:
American bacon is invariably made from the belly of the pig, which is not actually its stomach but the fat-streaked padding on the side of the animal...

Canadian bacon is a product you might see in the U.S. from time to time. It is made not from the belly, but from the loin of the pig, ...

British bacon is a bit like a combination of American and Canadian (though obviously Canadian bacon evolved from the British style and not the other way around). With British bacon, you take the loin but leave lots of lovely fat on it, especially the fat cap, and include the part where the loin attaches to the same cut American-style is made from: the belly. So a full rack of British bacon is the pork loin with plenty of pork belly attached to it: the loin section is the rasher (what [this glossary of British food terms] calls "a thin, floppy slice of fatty ham") and the belly is the streaky. Then you take your pick.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Canadians (and Americans) do something different (that doesn't involve smoking/salting) with the cut that becomes back bacon in Britain - is it sold as some cut of ordinary pork?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I believe that is the cut they (American butchers)charmingly call"pork butt."

Justlooking-- that is a nice breakdown of the cuts. I still want to know where my people's yearning for crispiness came from, because the texture thing seems to be a freaking obsession. (I like crispy bacon, but some of my compatriots can be damn lunatics about the matter.) In abscence of a rational, Googleable explanation, I am going to entertain myself with a theory I will call THE PANCETTA CONNECTION--in short, while in migration, while running short of supplies and creative cooking ideas, someone threw some pancetta in a pan and fried it up. "Crisp is pretty darn good! " they declared (in Italian) and people began gravitating toward cuts of pork that yielded more crunch factor.

[ 08. January 2016, 15:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
.. I still want to know where my people's yearning for crispiness came from, because the texture thing seems to be a freaking obsession. (I like crispy bacon, but some of my compatriots can be damn lunatics about the matter.) In abscence of a rational, Googleable explanation, I am going to entertain myself with a theory I will call THE PANCETTA CONNECTION--in short, while in migration, while running short of supplies and creative cooking ideas, someone threw some pancetta in a pan and fried it up. "Crisp is pretty darn good! " they declared (in Italian) and people began gravitating toward cuts of pork that yielded more crunch factor.

It was a calculated marketing strategy. According to this the bacon boom was not an accident. It came from a surfeit of frozen pork bellies and trading in pork belly futures. Adding crisply cooked streaky bacon as a flavour enhancer to fast foods was a way of selling the stuff by getting you all hooked. This couldn't have happened in Britain on account of our traditional British Bacon being a meatier, and pricier, cut .

[ 08. January 2016, 17:36: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Rare breeds? Have you tried boar bacon?

No, never seen that on sale but will keep an eye out for it.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
According to this the bacon boom was not an accident .

Finally! Thank you!

It is a sad day when we have to turn to Bloomberg for this kind of information. Why is this not in the wiki info?

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie used the term 'butty' - but her home in Urmston is not far from Salford (keep it quiet, there are house prices to maintain) where such a creation would definitely be a 'barm' or 'barmcake'.

The first 'a' is very long and sounds like 'a' for 'apple'.

The second 'a' is also long and sound like 'e' for 'egg'.

Carb fans out there might note that the bacon variety comes a very poor second in sales terms to the mighty 'chip barmcake'. You'll be scraping it off the roof of your mouth for hours.

[ 10. January 2016, 15:22: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can all you hereticks please stop going on about crispy bacon?

Just in the pan for long enough so that it's hot, white bread, butter.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Can all you hereticks please stop going on about crispy bacon?

No.

Welcome to an international message board. [Smile]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're not hereticks, we just belong to a different denominations. As it happens, I'm MOTR when it comes to crispiness.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
This couldn't have happened in Britain on account of our traditional British Bacon being a meatier, and pricier, cut .

That pig is looking very warily at the artist ... as well it might, considering its ultimate destiny.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We're not hereticks, we just belong to a different denominations. As it happens, I'm MOTR when it comes to crispiness.

FWIW I like the meat succulent while the fat is getting crisp. It's no mean feat to do this, close to getting scrambled egg right.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

For my part, the next time I get to England, I probably won't leave the airport food courts before I am demanding a real bacon buttie.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:

Just in the pan for long enough so that it's hot, white bread, butter.

No no no no no!

Crispy fat, succulent meat is the only way!

White bap or oven bottom muffin, a little butter [Smile]

I am on a diet where I am allowed bacon but not much bread - so I've been having bacon in a baked potato - lovely!

Oven bottom muffins.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sioni- you are so right about scrambled egg. Through my whole childhood, I had to suffer through overcooked, overmilked, overscrambled eggs. The only time I had them cooked properly was when my grandfather was cooking-- and that was like once a year.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

A friend of mine likes bacon in a croissant.

Yesterday I caved in and bought supermarket's best bacon, smoked over oak and beech. It's nice but didn't live up to expectations - eat it with anything e.g. toast or tomatoes and you can't actually taste it.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

Carb fans out there might note that the bacon variety comes a very poor second in sales terms to the mighty 'chip barmcake'. You'll be scraping it off the roof of your mouth for hours.

When I was Googling around trying to figure out what a bap is, I stumbled across a message board for a liberal Islamic print mag-- they were having pretty much the same barm/ bap/ butty/ sauce debate that y'all are having here, only with chips.

One guy recommended a chips buttie with raita. I almost created an account just to say "NOM."

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did they have the bit where the bread has to be slightly dense, the butter cold and thick enough to show the teeth marks, and the chips twice fried in the Belgian manner but liberally dressed with salt and vinegar?

Despite having just had dinner - partridge wrapped in bacon as it happens - I'm now hungry again.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leorning Cniht wrote:
quote:
Bacon's about the best thing you can do with a pork belly.
I wholeheartedly agree. Whoever convinced the gourmet writers that pork belly was anything more than a dressed-up cheap cut deserves some sort of marketing award.

Being married to a Yorkshirewoman, our traditional Christmas morning breakfast, regardless of the weather, is bacon sandwiches, crispy, on wholegrain bread.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I was Googling around trying to figure out what a bap is
A potential minefield since as so often in English, despite our allegedly rich latin/germanic etymology, words serve several different meanings and often only the context can enlighten the confused foreign listener.

For example:

'Henry, would you stop staring at that Veronica's baps whilst I'm trying to talk to you?!'

'But I only have eyes for you Hettie, you big barmcake'

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll admit, Mark, that that usage of "bap" was what popped into my head on reading Kelly's post.

Uni vocab is for life, apparently.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whereas the main bakery in Belfast has - or had - vans emblazoned with the slogan 'Famous for Baps'.
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have held out all this time, but cracked in the shop before lunch today. No (bread) baps available, but unsmoked back bacon eaten in buttered, lightly toasted bread. There is bacon left over: what to do tomorrow? I think there will have to be fried bread, to complete my downfall.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If you're going down that road, Landlubber, you may as well go the whole hog (sorry) and have a full fry-up. Don't forget the tomatoes and mushrooms ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Did they have the bit where the bread has to be slightly dense, the butter cold and thick enough to show the teeth marks, and the chips twice fried in the Belgian manner but liberally dressed with salt and vinegar?

Despite having just had dinner - partridge wrapped in bacon as it happens - I'm now hungry again.

I keep reading and re-reading this post because it sounds so good.

--------------------

Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A proper rasher sangwidge needs toasted and buttered batch bread, two dry cure back bacon rashers and HP sauce, rather than Ireland's sweeter Chef sauce.

It will blow your mind with bacon awesomeness.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
If you're going down that road, Landlubber, you may as well go the whole hog (sorry) and have a full fry-up. Don't forget the tomatoes and mushrooms ... [Big Grin]

I did not get my fry-up. Mr Ll put the leftover bacon in the freezer. I suspect freezing bacon is heresy, but that won't stop me getting it out again. No mushrooms, though, but maybe an egg.

Piglet, should you of all people be mentioning hog?

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever the true bacon sandwich is, I'd suggest that this isn't it.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

[Ultra confused]

... bacon and egg ...
... in a cupcake ...

[Eek!]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I blame this thread for debauching my tastes. Today I had a fish finger sandwich.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Landlubber:
... Piglet, should you of all people be mentioning hog?

Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

I saw a TV chef do a bacon/egg/bread arrangement baked in a muffin tin that looked sort of OK. It wasn't a proper Bacon Sarnie, but it may have been quite pleasant.

eta: I believe that The One True Bacon ... Piglet has already featured in Famous Last Posts. [Big Grin]

[ 16. January 2016, 23:03: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016