homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who will lead us now? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who will lead us now?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... Angela Leadsom has, I gather, impressed some party members, and has more personality, and is a much better speaker, than Gove. She's rather thin on experience, though, but I'd probably rate her as more likely than Fox to get the support from MPs, but still an outside chance at best.

Having heard her several times on World at One over the last few months, she would be a dreadful destiny for the rest of us to fall into - complacent, not very intelligent, and either not sharp enough to see the flaws in her own rhetoric or intellectually dishonest.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listened to Gove's speech and his responses to questions. A fluent and confident performance, yet I was left with the impression that he has lost the plot. I think those trying to persuade him to stand down are, probably, his best friends. Trying to rescue him from a delusion.

Andrea Leadsom (who I don't rate very much) looks to be in a good position to advance her candidacy at Gove's expense. Heard her campaign manager on the Daily Politics this morning observe "May the best woman win". "May" is an interesting word in that sentence.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
... Angela Leadsom has, I gather, impressed some party members, and has more personality, and is a much better speaker, than Gove. She's rather thin on experience, though, but I'd probably rate her as more likely than Fox to get the support from MPs, but still an outside chance at best.

Having heard her several times on World at One over the last few months, she would be a dreadful destiny for the rest of us to fall into - complacent, not very intelligent, and either not sharp enough to see the flaws in her own rhetoric or intellectually dishonest.
I have heard Leadsom described as Mrs Thatcher without the crippling sense of self doubt. I suspect she's also Mrs Thatcher without the Macmillanite One Nation concern for the poor.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until Thursday last week, I couldn't have imagined a more dismal topic than the American Presidential election. Good job, everyone, for proving me wrong.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I listened to Gove's speech and his responses to questions. A fluent and confident performance, yet I was left with the impression that he has lost the plot.

That man is not Prime Ministerial material. He's also likely to put voters off at an election.

Out of all of them Theresa May is the only one who seems plausible. Almost nobody's ever heard of Crabb or Leadsome and neither seems to have much charisma. Liam Fox doesn't stand out in any way and Gove doesn't have leadership qualities. May is the only one I can see mixing with heads of state on equal terms. I believe she could do the job.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from anything else, he looks like a duck. A mad duck. (So what? you say. Cameron looks like an unhealthy chipolata, Iain Duncan Smith is clearly Nosferatu and Michael Howard was played by Bela Lugosi).

But more than that, assassins never prosper.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Out of all of them Theresa May is the only one who seems plausible. Almost nobody's ever heard of Crabb or Leadsome and neither seems to have much charisma. Liam Fox doesn't stand out in any way and Gove doesn't have leadership qualities. May is the only one I can see mixing with heads of state on equal terms. I believe she could do the job.

Crabb has his belief that gayness is a mental illness that can be cured by prayer running against him.

Liam Fox was essentially sacked for being unfit for government.

May is an authoritarian who doesn't know what consensual politics means - the sort who appeals to middle aged pub bores who take relish in inflicting pain on someone else whilst fondly imagining that doing so makes them a hard headed realist.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My subjective impression of this morning's front pages in the Brexit press:
Express: implicitly for Gove;
Sun and Telegraph: implicitly against Gove;
Mail: explicitly for May.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Notwithstanding, the carnage on the Labour benches at the moment this whole business really ought to put paid to the notion of the Conservatives as a serious party of government. Watching MPs pivot from remain and then to Boris Johnson and thence to erm, Someone Else! has not been an edifying spectacle.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An aside. I can't believe what has happened in the UK in just over a week.
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely. It goes to show how thin the veneer of political stability is over the chaos that lies beneath. And we have no written constitution to tell us what we can & can't do, and no proper separation of powers to reign in the politicians. The real crisis of democracy in this country has nothing to do with the EU.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never let a cornered rat see daylight past your shoulders.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
That depends on whether UKIP would be savvy and disciplined enough to take advantage of the situation. If they were they would indeed have a golden opportunity to make some hay and steal a stack of Conservative votes on the right. It is eminently possible that they will start in-fighting just like everybody else and let that opportunity slip (I hope so).

Well, they have already threatened to expel their sole MP ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the event of a Leave victory we thought it was the Tories who were going to implode, yet now this is exactly what's happening to Labour. If it wasn't for the fact that politicians are paid an exorbitant amount of money to do the job they do then the current situation would be extremely hilarious.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Politicians are not paid an exorbitant amount of money. Politicians are reasonably recompensed for the utterly thankless task they are entrusted with. The widespread (and mostly undeserved) contempt for politicians is a major part of our current problem.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Politicians are not paid an exorbitant amount of money. Politicians are reasonably recompensed for the utterly thankless task they are entrusted with. The widespread (and mostly undeserved) contempt for politicians is a major part of our current problem.

Facts? We don't need no stinking Facts.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
That depends on whether UKIP would be savvy and disciplined enough to take advantage of the situation. If they were they would indeed have a golden opportunity to make some hay and steal a stack of Conservative votes on the right. It is eminently possible that they will start in-fighting just like everybody else and let that opportunity slip (I hope so).

Well, they have already threatened to expel their sole MP ...
I could never understand why Carswell defected to UKIP. As far as I can see he's a libertarian who's in favour of free markets in everything including labour. I suppose this illustrates how UKIP is an unstable coalition between this sort of turbo-capitalist, and little Englander xenophobic nationalists.
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some stinking facts:

MP's salary in May 2015 - £74,000
Average UK salary - £27,600 to April 2015

An MP is is paid nearly three times the average salary in the UK before expenses in 2016 and that is before we look at the distribution of wages in the UK. Article from 2009 from the BBC comparing MPs' wages with average salaries. In the intervening years MPs' salaries have increased substantially, unlike most salaries in the UK which increased on average by 0.1% last year following a number of years of recession when wages have not increased.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Casineb
Apprentice
# 15588

- Posted      Profile for Casineb   Email Casineb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Some stinking facts:

An MP is is paid nearly three times the average salary in the UK before expenses in 2016 and that is before we look at the distribution of wages in the UK. Article from 2009 from the BBC comparing MPs' wages with average salaries. In the intervening years MPs' salaries have increased substantially, unlike most salaries in the UK which increased on average by 0.1% last year following a number of years of recession when wages have not increased.

Unskilled jobs earn minimum wages. But being an MP takes a lot of work, and corporate directors and executives get paid 6 figure sums for less work. We lose a lot of talent because MPs are paid so (relatively) little.
Posts: 25 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Casineb:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Some stinking facts:

Unskilled jobs earn minimum wages. But being an MP takes a lot of work, and corporate directors and executives get paid 6 figure sums for less work. We lose a lot of talent because MPs are paid so (relatively) little.
An MP is not a skill-based position. It requires being 18 and a citizen.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah. Sure, it takes no skill to be a really bad MP.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

And, remind me please, what is the pay difference between a good MP and a bad one?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

I didn't realise you thought performance-related pay was such a good idea. Seriously, the level of work, stress and unpleasantness directed at MPs makes me amazed that people will do the job for so little.
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not every back bench MP does work analogous to that of a corporate director and senior executive (and salaries rise for being even junior members of the cabinet).

Besides, perhaps the issue is not that MPs are paid too low but that there is too big a gap between the lowest and highest earning worker. You can raise the number of people willing to be MP by raising the salary - to an extent - but you'll have other issues when MPs are paid the same as the top 10% (or whatever) of society and are even less in touch with the struggles of the average voter.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But being an MP takes a lot of work, and corporate directors and executives get paid 6 figure sums for less work. We lose a lot of talent because MPs are paid so (relatively) little.

I feel that the talent for getting paid a six figure sum for less work is a talent we can afford to lose.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
In the event of a Leave victory we thought it was the Tories who were going to implode, yet now this is exactly what's happening to Labour. If it wasn't for the fact that politicians are paid an exorbitant amount of money to do the job they do then the current situation would be extremely hilarious.

Arguments about how much MPs should be paid are a side show in the 'why this is not hilarious' stakes.

The country has been torn apart by a referendum that was founded on a campaign of lies conducted by flamboyant liars. Now they have now turned round and said 'sorry, we can't deliver what we told you you would get if you voted leave'. We have a constitutional crisis and simultaneously both the two major parties are rudderless. One has a leader who has fallen on his political sword. The other has an imaginary leader without leadership who refuses to realise he's out of his depth. If he was an honourable man and motivated by a passion for the good of his country, rather than an entryist, he'd have accepted the verdict of his shadow cabinet and gone.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They are paid good money for not doing what they say they are going to do. This is where much of the contempt has come from.

In many ways the fallout from the referendum has taken the spotlight off of politicians themselves and left people feeling contempt for each other. Hopefully this will be temporary and the heat will return to those who purport to lead us. Regardless of salaries, I would say to a politician--- if you don't want the job then sling your hook.

That's where Corbyn comes in to my mind. He's the only one showing metal in the middle of this. If a split Tory Party thinks this fiasco isn't going to haunt them right up to the next Election, (even if it's 2020), they are dead wrong.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read somewhere in passing that Mrs Leadsome has a deeply held Christian faith. Anyone know what light or shade of Christendom that might be?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
Liam Fox was essentially sacked for being unfit for government.

As heard on a vox pop on Radio 5:

"Liam Fox, wasn't he sacked for doing something?"

Indeed. I can think of lots of politicians who should be sacked for doing something.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truman White:
Read somewhere in passing that Mrs Leadsome has a deeply held Christian faith. Anyone know what light or shade of Christendom that might be?

Can't find any detail, other than she abstained from the equal marriage vote.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's doing quite well on the Marr show at the moment.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Though if she says "I genuinely believe" one more time I may put a brick through the screen. Also, she has refused to confirm she won't use Nigel Farage.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Gove, attempting to claim he's not treacherous on Marr show. Not being convincing. Lots of "I love my country" stuff, and similar cliche.

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hilarious. He declares he's a man of principles. He talks about serving the country. Doing what is right?

Is he bonkers? Andrew Marr is doing really well in letting him hang himself and then going for the jugular.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrea Leadsom attends Bible Study Groups in the Commons, describes herself as a very committed Christian but not a regular churchgoer.

Source.

She is also on record (2013) in saying that leaving the EU would be a disaster. I know it's the Mail, but click on the link. She "nailed her colours to the mast" but clearly un-nailed them some time later.

Source

Ain't politics "fun".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Theresa May goes to church, apparently, although her faith seems to be of slightly less interest to journalists.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... i.e. of less interest to journalists than Angela's faith. Maybe Theresa is CofE and Angela is something more exotic?

Angela didn't vote for SSM, so perhaps socially liberal commentators feel more anxiety about where she's coming from.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

They are paid good money for not doing what they say they are going to do. This is where much of the contempt has come from.

In many ways the fallout from the referendum has taken the spotlight off of politicians themselves and left people feeling contempt for each other. Hopefully this will be temporary and the heat will return to those who purport to lead us. Regardless of salaries, I would say to a politician--- if you don't want the job then sling your hook.

That's where Corbyn comes in to my mind. He's the only one showing metal in the middle of this. If a split Tory Party thinks this fiasco isn't going to haunt them right up to the next Election, (even if it's 2020), they are dead wrong.

Personally, I think that this sort of Betty Swollocks is one of the reasons for our plight. The problems with which Members of Parliament wrestle are nigh on intractable. In most instances we have a range of options, none of which are, frankly, ideal. And we assume that people trying to deal with the issues are just in it for themselves when most of them could be earning equivalent salaries elsewhere. So we turn to politicians who tell us that none of our problems are intractable. We vote for Corbyn because he will end austerity by, um, well, we'll get back to you with regard to that one. But he has principles! Or we vote to Leave the EU because, foreigners!, and we if we leave we can have all the good bits but none of the bits we don't like because, democracy!, forgetting as Martin Schauble told the Greeks, that quite a few of us are elected, actually. But never mind, these people have great policies. They are going to be really great. They are going to be so great that we will be totally sick of greatness. We can all have the fucking moon on a stick because we deserve it and any one who points out the obvious flaw in this plan is disregarding the Very Real Concerns of The People. As Gaius Silius observed in 'Claudius The God': "When you talk about love and liberty everything seems so simple". Indeed it does. But just remember how it all worked out for him.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

We vote for Corbyn because he will end austerity by, um,

Partly old fashioned Keynesian stimulus using the low cost of borrowing, coupled with the McDonnell's economic plan for the longer term (drawn up in conjunction with a number of economists including David Blanchflower and Thomas Piketty).
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
quote:

We vote for Corbyn because he will end austerity by, um,

Partly old fashioned Keynesian stimulus using the low cost of borrowing, coupled with the McDonnell's economic plan for the longer term (drawn up in conjunction with a number of economists including David Blanchflower and Thomas Piketty).
Blanchflower and Pikkety have both given it up as a bad job, citing Corbyn's performance in the EU referendum and Blanchflower has added for good measure that Corbyn ought to step down.

In any event, to use old fashioned Keynesian stimulus etc. one does have to win a General Election. Do get back to me when that shows any signs of working out between now and the Parousia.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:

In any event, to use old fashioned Keynesian stimulus etc. one does have to win a General Election. Do get back to me when that shows any signs of working out between now and the Parousia.

Okay, but your initial criticism was that there was no economic plan to end austerity.

At the moment the PLP are managing to be more incompetent than Corbyn - they want him to step down, but have no idea what comes next - or indeed have a serious candidate for leadership.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Okay, but your initial criticism was that there was no economic plan to end austerity.

At the moment the PLP are managing to be more incompetent than Corbyn - they want him to step down, but have no idea what comes next - or indeed have a serious candidate for leadership.

I think the plp are shadowing Brexit - no plan, no leader, rhetoric with no substance. I mean, why would you mount a chaotic leadership bid with the Tories in such a mess? That takes genius.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
... i.e. of less interest to journalists than Angela's faith. Maybe Theresa is CofE and Angela is something more exotic?

[Roll Eyes] Or maybe it's just that she has - in the past - been fairly vocal about her faith.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Well, you obviously know more about that than I do. That doesn't mean I deserve an eye roll!

What exciting things has Angela said about her faith in the past?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to a reasonably well-placed source of mine, all five of the Tory candidates in the running are some brand of Christian; one Catholic, one middle-of-the-road CoE, and three evangelicals.

My source did not say who was who, but I guess that can be worked out.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a perceptive piece in the online edition of The Scotsman which itemises some of Theresa May's less memorable moments. One wonders if she would have remained in post under a leader less reluctant to shuffle ministers than Cameron.
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

First round today: most likely scenario is disgraced former Defence Secretary Dr. Liam Fox gets eliminated in a "life imitating art" reconstruction of the scene in House of Cards where an eccentric backbencher puts himself up for the Party Leadership and gets one vote.

Worst case scenario: Stephen Crabb eliminated. Notwithstanding his somewhat bonkers views on homosexuality in the past, now largely repudiated (more joy in heaven and all that) he voted Remain and has come out (sorry Stephen, no pun intended) for saying outright that EU nationals in the UK should be granted indefinite leave to remain. So it he goes down in flames on the first ballot, it indicates that the Parliamentary Tory Party are probably about to engage in an epic fit of bastardry which will make us all nostalgic for Mrs Thatcher in full on hubris mode.

Best case scenario: Since The Event there are no best case scenarios. Stay Indoors.

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

I think the final two will be May and Leadsom, and the party members will choose Leadsom much to the MPs' dismay.
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
According to a reasonably well-placed source of mine, all five of the Tory candidates in the running are some brand of Christian; one Catholic, one middle-of-the-road CoE, and three evangelicals.

There are politicians who are Christians and others who are not, there are politicians who are competent and others who are not. There is little correlation between the two.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Leadsom is one of the evangelical candidates: she has supported the work of Christian Concern in the past, so obviously isn't put off by Mrs Minchiello-Williams.

Mrs May has been a regular churchgoer all her life: she was one of the first people who welcomed us to the parish when we lived in the Thames valley and it was only much later that I realise she was also our MP. A genuinely lovely lady.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016