homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Whatisitanyway?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Whatisitanyway?
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recent feature article (complete with color cover pic) in The American Organist, told of the new organ at Bryn Ardyth (Pennsylvania) Cathedral (I think that's the right spelling).

The building looked very traditional/Gothic and large. There was a 'high altar' not very clear in the picture.

The denomination was given as 'The New Church' (their capitalization). The article and their web-site didn't seem to identify their 'breed.'

So does anybody know?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Church is the denomination - it is a Swedenborgian church.

We have several of their ministers active on the ship.

[ 03. September 2015, 15:36: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the New Church (or General Church of the New Jerusalem) is the larger of the two main Swedenborgian bodies in North America, while the Swedenborgian Church in North America (formerly the General Convention) is the older.

IIRC the main differences are that the New Church has bishops (and a parochial school system), views the writings of Swedenborg as inspired scripture, and is conservative on Dead Horses. The Swedenborgian Church is congregational in polity (with no parochial schools), views Swedenborg's writing as foundational but not "Another Testament", ordains women and is gay-friendly.

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That all sounds about right to me, except that I only know of a single minister active on the ship (Freddy). Otherwise, I'm the only other member active on the ship that I know of.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for this info. I'm afraid that I am terribly ignorant about Swedenborg and all things Swedenborgian.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basically, we're a small, non-creedal denomination with a theological belief system that is radically different than mainstream Christianity. But other than that, we're pretty normal.

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A New Church in Bristol has been MWed a couple of times, most recently here. (The British denomination seems from the description to be closer to the General Convention than the General Church). Of particular architectural significance is Frank Lloyd Wright's Wayfarers Chapel in California, affiliated with the General Convention.

[ 04. September 2015, 19:47: Message edited by: Knopwood ]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
A recent feature article (complete with color cover pic) in The American Organist, told of the new organ at Bryn Ardyth (Pennsylvania) Cathedral (I think that's the right spelling).

Bryn Athyn (Welsh; intended to mean Hill of Unity)
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

If that's what was intended, what would be the correct way to phrase it?

--------------------

Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How would you describe the worship style of the Church, liturgically? There was mention of a high altar. Is there a set liturgy?

This is all so fascinating.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

More than a little out of date, but this is how John Ross Robertson described a Swedenborgian service in turn of the century Toronto:

quote:
As the people entered some of them bowed the head a moment in silent prayer; and when the minister entered and opened the Bible on the repository they all rose; this act signified that the Word of God was now open for study and examination, and what made it more impressive was the inscription of the Ten Commandments on two long tablets on the wall above the Bible and above these the words: "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

The service is liturgical and the order of worship combines the excellent features of all other liturgies with their irrational redundancies eliminated. After a brief responsive service and prayers, closing with the Lord's Prayer said by the minister and people in unison, the choir sang the Sanctus or, rather, it led the singing, for everybody sang. And the tunes, both of the chants and hymns, were refreshing because they were superior in dignity and reverence to the ordinary usage. There was no clap-trap singing, no rushing through hymns in a worldly waltz time, and a fast waltz at that, which seems to be growing popular in our churches. The music was well-timed and sung with excellent harmony and expression.

After further responses and another chant, the minister read a lesson from the first chapter of Isaiah, first giving by way of analysis what he called "the internal sense" of the lesson; at its close he said: "Here endeth the lesson, he that hath ears let him hear what the spirit saith to the churches." Then followed the chanting of a gloria, a responsive psalm reading and another chant, "O sing unto the Lord a new song," then a lesson from John and a hymn, "How gentle God's commands."

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very nice to see this thread!

We are very pleased with the new organ and a lot of people stop by to see and hear it.

Examples of the live-streamed services can be seen here:
http://brynathynchurch.org/cathedral-services-livestreamed/

There is also a very interesting and popular YouTube channel devoted to Swedenborg:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5kBvit8NAsLO3o-8SNGAOA

We have tried to be Mystery Worshiped, but we have been deemed non-Trinitarian and so we do not qualify. This seems strange to me, since we baptize into the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, but I'm not the one making the rules.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for whether the services are liturgical, the Cathedral service today is greatly simplified compared to the one in Toronto from last century. Many fewer repetitions and chants.

As with most churches, the services have branched out into numerous styles - informal, rock and roll, etc. This sadly divides up the congregation, since there are several other worship venues in town, each with its own regulars and style. But everyone comes together for holidays, such as a huge Thanksgiving service on November 26th at the Academy of the New Church Field House.

[ 20. October 2015, 14:39: Message edited by: Freddy ]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Apologies! I haven't posted here in so long that I forgot how to post URLs. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016