homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Introduction and questions (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Introduction and questions
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good game! Good game!

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For people who don't have a lot of time to trawl through a whole year's worth of threads, this is a very useful thread to remind us of possible candidates.
(2008 starts somewhere on page 14)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must admit to being disappointed by the lack of satire in the nominations so far. I am thinking mainly about Theologian Of The Year category.
Are we allowed to suggest those that are patently out-of-their-tree or what?

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
Are we allowed to suggest those that are patently out-of-their-tree or what?

Why? Do you really think we have some like that around here?

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do we have any that aren't?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
For people who don't have a lot of time to trawl through a whole year's worth of threads, this is a very useful thread to remind us of possible candidates.

I disagree. The Quotes file is basically a small group of shipmates reposting things they happen to like, rather than an objective collection of worthy posts.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's definitely not objective. But it does provide some record of what people thought important enough to note at the time. Many of the threads are now in oblivion, so I found it useful as a reminder.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I disagree. The Quotes file is basically a small group of shipmates reposting things they happen to like, rather than an objective collection of worthy posts.

haven't been quoted lately, Marv?

it's something. beats reading the entire 2008 entries in Oblivion.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hell, then, is the only segment of the Ship's boards with enough oomph to have its own Denizen of the Year?

How bland, colorless and ineffectual all other regulars of all other areas must be.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, gawd. Here we go again.

I take it you won't be seconding my nomination?

Honestly - my feelings aren't hurt.

[ 19. December 2008, 02:02: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
How bland, colorless and ineffectual all other regulars of all other areas must be.

I've been saying exactly that for years.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
haven't been quoted lately, Marv?

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Hell, then, is the only segment of the Ship's boards with enough oomph to have its own Denizen of the Year?

I can't see how anyone can justifiably win many of the awards through activity in Hell (the home of cheap shots and happy-slapping) so just as it is a separate board it deserves separate prizes to prevent "spillage".

Awards of Hell Denizen of the Year and Lamest Hell thread ought to do. There are plenty of Putdowns in Hell, but the Best must surely be delivered like a Murano dagger, within Purgatory, Eccles, Keryg or, best of all, Heaven or All Saints.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Unfortunately there isn't a category for 'The Best Mystery Worship Report of the Year'. If there was, I'd give it to this one.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...There are plenty of Putdowns in Hell, but the Best must surely be delivered like a Murano dagger, within Purgatory, Eccles, Keryg or, best of all, Heaven or All Saints.

Of course! So much more opportunity for admirable nastiness cloaked in Christian propriety and good will.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may have missed this, but have we been told when nominations will close and the voting take place? I'm away for New Year, which means being out of computer contact for several days; I would hate to be absent for the grand finale.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red Carpet Gown On

According to the rules, the nominations will close at midnight (GMT) on 31 December. The polls will be opened soon after the
close of nominations, and then the awards will be presented in an online ceremony in January.

Red Carpet Gown Off

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Red Carpet Gown On

According to the rules, the nominations will close at midnight (GMT) on 31 December. The polls will be opened soon after the
close of nominations, and then the awards will be presented in an online ceremony in January.

Red Carpet Gown Off

Urm, would you mind leaving the gown on. You might scare the children. [Razz]

Or over-excite Alan.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mm. Have I missed the voting or has it yet to take place?
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never mind! Found Robert's thread.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were hoping to get the poll threads for each category in place by today, but it's been a very busy week, and there are some issues we still have to resolve on the nominations and polls which will take longer than this weekend to sort out. So voting for the Simmies will probably start Tues or Weds next week, I think. Sorry for the delay, but putting this to a public vote (which wasn't the original plan) is a bit more complicated than I thought. Watch this space!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No worries - the closer to the Oscars® nomination date, the better...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well its now Wednesday, and still no voting! Not that I'm getting impatient you understand, just that somehow I fear my nomination for Shipmate of the Year isn't going to do very well now, as he appears to have just got himself banned for two weeks!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Killing me] What unrestful shipmate worth his salt hasn't been banned for two weeks?

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So right, Gort!

I've always been a bit overawed by Ken's giant brain, but now that he's come down just a tiny bit toward my level, he's got my vote in the bag ...

Oh no! I'm starting to sound like a Sarah Palin fan.

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
[Killing me] What unrestful shipmate worth his salt hasn't been banned for two weeks?

Maybe we could have a padded cell on the Ship.

There will be no unrest if you don't have loonies showing their true colours off around the place. So instead of banning them, we could confine to a 'Bedlam board' those who can not follow the general rules of posting. This might help preserve the unrestful character of the Ship, because we are not only keeping on board those who are irritating to our sensibilities, but also giving them their own space to creat havoc.

I know by proposing this idea I probably belong to a padded cell myself. I am also aware that the original intention for the 'unrest' probably isn't what I had in mind, but is something far more noble. Nevertheless as a fool of a bunny, I am throwing this idea out because this might enable the Ship to keep some of the potential trail blazers who just can't keep to the straight and narrow, but who are valuable in other ways.

If it is unworkable then at least it is a laugh. [Razz]

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to clarify, I didn't see Gracious Rebel's link so my last post was drawn up without Ken in mind. It was sparked off by Gort's mentioning of banning.
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The voting threads have now been posted. We've put a delay in the start time (the polls open tomorrow night) so that any errors or omissions can be reported in the next 24 hours and corrected before the polls open. Once the polls do open, no further changes can be made, so if you spot any problems, post about them asap, on this thread. Please be aware that some people have asked for their nomination not to go forward, which is why their name does not appear.

The closing date for voting (which will be earlier than the time posted on the polls) and the date/time of the awards ceremony will be posted here sometime soon.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hasn't Jengie Jon been missed off the Shipmate of the Year voting thread? She's on the nominations.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Hasn't Jengie Jon been missed off the Shipmate of the Year voting thread? She's on the nominations.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Please be aware that some people have asked for their nomination not to go forward, which is why their name does not appear.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Yorick. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the polls are now open!

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If there is no obvious winner in some of the more densely inhabited contests, will there be run-offs? Some of these were tough choices.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
... no obvious winner

What? You mean a tie? How about we save the trouble and just toss a coin? Or better yet, co-winners? Now go do the damnable thing and vote for Gort, Hell Denizen of the Year. RooK is too arcane and Sine, too nice. If honored, I promise to restore animosity and discord to the Nether Regions no matter how liturgically lame the thread. You'll wish God were your co-pilot and Jesus the navigator.

[This message sponsored by Shipmates Against Boring Purgatorial Screeds in Hell]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May we campaign for nominees on the boards? If so, where and is "knocking copy" permitted?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red Carpet Gown On

Once the polls are officially opened, you will be able to campaign to your heart's content on the thread attached to the poll.

Flausa
Simmies Host

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Confused]

They are open. I voted last night.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Apologies, I apparently lost a day somewhere. [Hot and Hormonal]
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ummm, drawing on some of the legendary stories of various cities where the motto was "vote early and vote often", I wondering if we are supposed to vote just once per award, or can vote as many times as we like?

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Geneviève, the software only allows you to vote once in each poll.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

You can encourage others to vote (and vote specifically for your choices). I suspect some folks might even be persuaded to vote given small bribes of chocolate, but you didn't hear that from me.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darn! I already voted. I should have waited for bribes of chocolate.

(Maybe if I delete this post I can pretend I haven't voted and still accept bribes?)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Geneviève, the software only allows you to vote once in each poll.

Aha, that was what Simon meant when he said there were "issues" to be sorted out before voting could commence. He must have heard about our practices here in the colonies.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the nominations list for Wit Of The Year, the link to the post by Gildas is not working - not for me anyway.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two comments in passing...

1) Although you can only vote once you can vote for yourself. (In case any of the other nominees were too modest to try and find out.)

2) I am promoting myself as the 'green candidate' for Hell Denizen of the Year, not having - or in the process of - reproducing myself, which gives me a smaller carbon footprint. Moreover disposable diapers have never (yet) been used in my house. Vote Green. Vote Nomine.

Thank-you very much for your time and attention.

-S.N.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Red Carpet Gown On

The thread for Gildas' link has been sent to Oblivion. We are trying to relocate it. If anyone remembers the name of the thread where the post originated that would be most helpful.

Flausa
Red Carpet Gown Off

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Moreover disposable diapers have never (yet) been used in my house. Vote Green. Vote Nomine.

Until now I never wondered if anyone manufactured non-disposable adult diapers.

I am subsequently considering heuristic value in my voting but not quite ready to join this bandwagon.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The thread for Gildas' link has been sent to Oblivion. We are trying to relocate it. If anyone remembers the name of the thread where the post originated that would be most helpful.

I can't remember it's name, but the thread was about the Russian invasion of Georgia so it probably started about the 24th August.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

Found it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Found it.

Suck up! [Razz] (Translation: I saw you in Oblivion but you beat me to it.)
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016