homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » jlg's despair and death (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: jlg's despair and death
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
And turning - thinking - water in to wine is in a completely different category to passively knowing the indeterminate future, which is meaninglessly impossible. There's nothing to know. No comparison whatsoever.

Sure there is a comparison. Both feats are impossible within the natural realm, at least in the sense of which we are speaking. How can you say with such certainty that a deity can do this impossible thing but not that one? Unless you can provide something to support your claim, I believe that you are just making things up.

Simply repeating your assertion about being delivered from evil is not a very helpful explanation of your meaning, or a convincing rebuttal of my criticism.

What, exactly, are you challenging me to either explain or vacate the commode?

[ETA: I have no idea what your second post meant. I can't even parse the grammar.]

[ 25. January 2012, 22:11: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible glimmerings of understanding of Martin's point-of-view:

--Martin takes in all of the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures' God, and accepts every bit. Hence, God is neither nice nor good in *our* understanding of those words. But we project our understanding onto God.

--I'm no physicist, but I was reminded of various bits of science crumbs about quantum physics, becoming and simultaneously being present, etc. So I did a search on "physics becoming and present", and found:

~~Being and Becoming in Modern Physics (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy). I've only skimmed it, but there's good stuff about the "Metaphysics of Time".

~~ Present (Wikipedia)

Good stuff, including this:

quote:
Christianity and eternity
For some Christians God is viewed as being outside of time and, from the divine perspective past, present and future are actualized in the now of eternity. This trans-temporal conception of God has been proposed as a solution to the problem of divine foreknowledge (i.e. how can God know what we will do in the future without us being determined to do it) since at least Boethius.[9] Thomas Aquinas offers the metaphor of a watchman, representing God, standing on a height looking down on a valley to a road where past present and future, represented by the individuals and their actions strung out along its length, are all visible simultaneously to God.[10] Therefore, God's knowledge is not tied to any particular date.[11]

--We live in time, so we have a sense of time, but the good stuff is already true.

Martin, is that anywhere in the neighborhood of your ideas??

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
--Martin takes in all of the Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures' God, and accepts every bit. Hence, God is neither nice nor good in *our* understanding of those words. But we project our understanding onto God.

This middle sentence is an ongoing problem I have with Christian apologetics. The English language - and all other languages - is something that has been developed by humans for human use, it is not seomthing that has been handed down by God. Therefore "our" understanding of the words nice or good are the only understandings there are. If the biblical God does not fit within the human understanding of those human words then the conclusion must be that he is not nice or good. You should use adjectives which, in "our" understanding of their meanings, do fit the biblical God, rather than inventing your own new definition of "good" so you can carrying on claiming that "God is good". It would be rather more honest for a start.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
quote:
And turning - thinking - water in to wine is in a completely different category to passively knowing the indeterminate future, which is meaninglessly impossible. There's nothing to know. No comparison whatsoever.

Sure there is a comparison. Both feats are impossible within the natural realm, at least in the sense of which we are speaking. How can you say with such certainty that a deity can do this impossible thing but not that one?
I think Martin is referring to Open Theism, which is, very crudely speaking, the idea that God can't know the future because it's not there to be known. From the Wikipedia article:
quote:
...open theists do not believe that God does not know the future, but rather that the future does not exist to be known by anyone. For the open theist the future simply has not happened yet, not for anyone, and thus is unknowable in the common sense. Thus, to say that God does not know the future is akin to saying that God does not know about square circles.
In this view, 'knowing the future' is a logical impossibility unless God has already determined it. I think.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it is also a logical impossibility for God, or anyone else, to say that God is eternal?

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apocalypso - lovely rhetoric, 11/10. But logic?!

Well, I'm bamboozled. You want logic from me, but then respond with what looks to me like lovely, albeit empty, rhetoric.

Look, I'm frankly growing increasingly uncomfortable with this discussion. As I stated before, I am not particularly invested in dissuading you from your belief, even as your defense of that belief draws me further and further into what feels like an effort to dissuade. I admire your passionate defense, and what looks (from here) like a seamless faith in some ultimate divine wholeness. What appeals to me about your view is not terribly different from what appeals to me when admiring a powerfully-executed work of art: it's beautiful, magnificent, moving.

And just as I would not care to take scissors to a great painting or start chipping with a chisel at a wonderful sculpture, I do not care to try to dismantle your belief system; I'd rather leave it standing whole.

But just as I cannot sculpt or paint a masterwork of my own, neither can I produce a Christian belief system of my own which isn't a shallow sophomoric cartoon. I also find myself unable to simply adopt someone else's, even yours, whole-cloth.

For one thing, I don't understand yours.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
So it is also a logical impossibility for God, or anyone else, to say that God is eternal?

Not following you, sorry! Would you explain what you mean, please?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:

Not following you, sorry! Would you explain what you mean, please?
It was following on from the Open Theism ideas. If the future does not exist so cannot be known by anyone, including God, then God cannot know if he will still be existing tomorrow or a week on Tuesday. Therefore he cannot know whether or not he is eternal. And as humans presumably cannot know more than God they also cannot say that God is eternal.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

Ah, I see - thanks for explaining. Not sure I agree, though. A triangle can never be four-sided, by its very nature. Were it to become four-sided, it would cease to be a triangle. God, by his very nature, is eternal... therefore he knows that tomorrow, next week, next millennium, he will be alive and still be God... Unless God could cease to be God... <Train of thought hits buffers>

I guess one could say that part of God's nature is that he is unchanging in essence, therefore he knows both that he is eternal now and will always be eternal. Does that work, logically?

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

Ah, but if he knows he is eternal because it his nature (rather than because it's something he fancies would be quite nice to be) then he also knows that the future will exist eternally and that he will be always part of it. Therefore it is not possible to say of him that he cannot know the future because he does know at least part of it.

[ 26. January 2012, 17:42: Message edited by: Pre-cambrian ]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

I think the idea with open theism is that the future is only 'there' already if God has determined it. So, for example, take the prophecies in the Old Testament that people think are about Jesus; these prophecies are God determining certain limited aspects of the future. But everything else, that God has not pre-determined, is literally not there yet, therefore to speak of knowing these aspects of the future is to speak of logical impossibilities... If I've understood open theism correctly, of course!

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh and George, why so ? Know anyone who isn't broken ?

The complete opposit. I look around me and see countless broken people.

I then read your claim that "To be Christian is to know that you and every one, ever, are personally, eternally significant, healed".

I'm not sure how I can put this any clearer than to say that the broken people I see make a complete mockery of the claim that everyone is eternally healed.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just briefly tuning it because I've found Marvin's God caught on camera, and perhaps also Marvin's alter ego. Watch The Legend of Hobo, in particular episodes 1-3... [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ploughing upstream.

George Spigot (don't think you fool me, I know who you really are, the remake is rubbish). Thank you. First class as ever. Perfectly rational and true. And all ARE healed, all is healed in Christ. ALL healing is complete in Christ. It's done. It is finished. From the beginning of the world. Sorted. Fixed. Was, is and shall be. Aorist. And yes I am that utterly inarticulate. But you will get my point as you have already, you can't not. But you can't believe it. The sun scorches. Birds devour. Weeds flourish. For you too.

In every sense except the mere mechanistically literal (as the future hasn't happened anywhere else in God yet), our healing in Christ, in God made flesh, is outside time.

Our full experience and realisation of that will come when we meet Him, when He lifts us up from the grave. I am extremely broken. Objectively 3 or 4 / 10. Marred. Scarred. Dysfunctional. Sick. Old. I have been unbelievably depraved to the extent that I can only discuss that, after decades, with God. Since I was young. The damage is done, irrevocably, in my mind and relationships. I'm utterly helpless to fix those I encounter or have had to walk away from who are yet more broken. I have encountered suffering that has deranged me more than once. It would derange you or anyone.

There are limits. We die.

And I am completely ransomed, healed, forgiven. Immortal. My EXPERIENCE is of partial healing of my inner self harm wounds nonetheless, an earnest of things to be fully realised. I can testify of the head space I have gained, immense blue skies, around my loss and suffering and affliction. Not constantly by any means. There are dark days and darker. There is fear and sadness nearly every day. Just about every day.

And here is the place where I am MOST articulate. What a joke eh?

Thank you for the therapy. Therapeuo. Worship.

ALL will be well. For ALL. ALL are saved. Whether they know it or not. All will. Jesus saves. And He's barely started yet in anyone's experience. Him busting Himself down to human and meeting us at our psychotic worst was the start. And finish. From the beginning. In between is happening. Aorist indeed.

I'll plough on up if I may.

Scot first and then drift downstream to Golden Key.

Scot. I can say it because this is the game of rhetoric we're in. And you are wrong. You fail to differentiate two utterly different categories. Now and the future. I'm sure this will come to NOTHING, all such rhetorical games do, especially here. It's like trying to argue for or against the existence of God or for anything else significant here, it always plays to a draw.

You will be younger, smarter, better educated and still wrong.

Wrong.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
To discommode you.

My first premiss: God is ALL there is. All is God. God thinks, thinks us autonomously thinking, wills everything in to being. Now. Not yesterday. Not tomorrow. That's my second premiss.

God is as outside time as He can be but all our happened past is unrepeatable, unreplayable except as 'mere' sensurround, Heraclitean feelie-loop and all our unhappened future does not exist and never has.

So God can think water in to Château Musar, but NOT the 2012 vintage. Although we couldn't POSSIBLY distinguish.

The ONLY way I can be wrong, and not you, is that the future has already happened.

It hasn't.

How can I say that ? Common sense mate. A tad of parsimony. Every tick of future eternity has not tocked in the Deus ex clock.

Virtually everyone here disagrees. The really, really smart guys especially. IngoB the good Thomist doctor. Alan the Nuke. Not out of superior intellect or with superior rhetoric, but out of disposition. Took slug-brain me about 10 years to realise that.

Simple me. A simplistic simpleton I'm sure and yes I KNOW, thanks to challenges here, that parsimony is a mere heuristic, not 'so'.

Parsable? Or do you need another comma or two? One might have helped you before.

I feel the need for a couple of slabs of fried pork pie coming up. In their own lard of course. And a mug of tea.

(Just had a call from a bereaved friend. Her daughter, had some ghastly genetic abnormality like Tay-Sachs but succumbed to a ferocious uterine sarcoma. I was in tears, she was truly bubbly with looking forward to meeting her whole daughter. I was amazed to hear God lifting her up in her voice.)

Definitely pork pie time. Hang on. Ohhhhh. Bliss. Stale, frozen, nuke-defrosted, fried. Dollops of Dijon (no English, sorry!).

Gently down the stream.

Golden Key. Close, but for the country mile. God cannot see, from 'outside' time, what hasn't happened, except by computing it or willing it to happen. Tomorrow's wine exists in today's water.

Martin

Rats! My perspicuity missed you Apocalypso! Next time.

[ 28. January 2012, 12:58: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't wait Apocalypso, I just can't wait. You are ENTIRELY too kind. Gracious. PLEASE do your worst. We are both, ALL, engaged here in a work of art, daubing on the cave wall with human exudates. If that doesn't work I'll have to insult you at having the arrogance to think that your scissors could do any damage. That you can damage faith. What have you got ?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And all ARE healed, all is healed in Christ. ALL healing is complete in Christ. It's done. It is finished. From the beginning of the world. Sorted. Fixed. Was, is and shall be. Aorist.

Here is an example of two phenomena: one (sorry, but:), using repetition in place of argument, and two, rhetoric which is beautiful, and which I do not doubt for one minute is over-the-brim ravishingly full for you, but is empty, or rather simply means nothing, for me (and perhaps others).

quote:
But you can't believe it. The sun scorches. Birds devour. Weeds flourish.

Exactly. Your faith, to the miniscule extent I understand it, seems to exist outside of time. (Possibly, in your experience of yourself, you do, too?) I don’t; I live in the now. Yes, yes, I know, even as I suffer, that the suffering will eventually end, or, put another way, will be “healed.” But that doesn’t subtract a single iota of the suffering I experience now.

In the ordered, purposely-lovingly-created universe you seem to believe in, though, what is the loving, purposeful intent behind so many kinds and degrees of suffering and, if I am indeed the image of that Intender, why am I myself so loath to inflict suffering on those I love? (Not that I don’t do this, of course; despicably, I do; but nearly always it’s through some blindness or mistake; I don’t set forth to do it, and I don’t, or at least try not, to do it deliberately. Certainly, I do my best to avoid setting conditions for others that inevitably produce suffering.)

quote:
In every sense except the mere mechanistically literal (as the future hasn't happened anywhere else in God yet), our healing in Christ, in God made flesh, is outside time.

Our full experience and realisation of that will come when we meet Him, when He lifts us up from the grave. I am extremely broken. Objectively 3 or 4 / 10. Marred. Scarred. Dysfunctional. Sick. Old. I have been unbelievably depraved to the extent that I can only discuss that, after decades, with God. Since I was young. The damage is done, irrevocably, in my mind and relationships. I'm utterly helpless to fix those I encounter or have had to walk away from who are yet more broken. I have encountered suffering that has deranged me more than once. It would derange you or anyone.

There are limits. We die.

And I am completely ransomed, healed, forgiven. Immortal. My EXPERIENCE is of partial healing of my inner self harm wounds nonetheless, an earnest of things to be fully realised. I can testify of the head space I have gained, immense blue skies, around my loss and suffering and affliction. Not constantly by any means. There are dark days and darker. There is fear and sadness nearly every day. Just about every day.

And here is the place where I am MOST articulate. What a joke eh?

Yes; you do articulate, and very well. What you are articulating so beautifully is the faith which, however hard come-by, you have conceived, constructed, find-your-own-verb, for yourself (with, I am sure you believe, essential aid from the love-object). That faith, though, explains nothing; rather it seems (at least to some of us) to require as much explanation as theodicy itself.

Which is why I liken your experience to falling in love. You seem to be a man sincerely besotted with God, and like any of us in the throes of love, you see the love-object wrapped in glory, and simply cannot or will not notice those habits and tics that ultimately has driven other lovers away.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Martin: as noted, I have no desire to take scissors or chisel to your faith.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I find myself more and more moved by you. For you. Thank you very much again. We'll know when we meet.

I should shut up there, but there's a thought coalescing, clotting. I more than suspect that I'm naturally darker, more saturnine to say the least. More broken. More fearful and sad. Have done more damage. Encountered more suffering. Or I'm just more susceptible to whatever load, which may be less. That's not a badge of rank. I'm therefore more prone to swing to an opposite extreme, hence my proclaiming that despair and death are 'proof' of their full restitution.

I admire the courage of those who exist terminally, 'meaninglessly'. I could not bear it.

Peace - Martin

[ 28. January 2012, 15:14: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And here is the place where I am MOST articulate.

Have you ever thought of taking up poetry?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:

No, I think he should write children's books.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

IMHO, his posts *are* poetry, and need to be approached that way. Go out beyond the words, find where lines connect, etc.

Martin, I'm sorry for your suffering. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. And I, too, hope for the healing of all things, however that plays out in physics and metaphysics.

[Angel] [Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
quote:

IMHO, his posts *are* poetry
That was rather my point.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ploughing upstream.

George Spigot (don't think you fool me, I know who you really are, the remake is rubbish).

Indeed it was.

quote:

Thank you. First class as ever. Perfectly rational and true. And all ARE healed, all is healed in Christ. ALL healing is complete in Christ. It's done. It is finished.

It didn't work.

You seem to be saying that this healing happens through all time and is eternal. But also that it hasn't happend yet? This i think is where my confusion comes from.

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Qlib, Laura, Golden Key. Thank you. Taking you all at face value. Especially Laura [Biased] (forgive me if I have a side bet on you being wickedly arch).

George, if I may be familiar, it couldn't not work. Jesus saves. No limit. He embraced our light affliction and lifted us up to the heavenlies, to our Father's arms. That's where we ALL are.

That's what NONE of us believes George. You are just more consistent. Some of us have moments of faith.

Have you ever ? Doubted doubt ? Ever had a moment where you melted in ecstasy at the thought of it being so ? Writing that has me hot eyed. For you George. For the homeless heroin addict who stayed after we fed him Friday night. He got it for an instant. Tears. It was snatched away.

Just a dream eh ? A fantasy. Whistling in the dark.

And George, yes of course I'm saying that. What's true and our experience are two entirely different things.

Jesus saves.

[ 29. January 2012, 12:30: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016