homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Wake in the Cafe (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wake in the Cafe
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brief analysis:

In the second half
60 people posted something
779 contributions
64 maximum contributions from a single poster: Eutychus

Languages included English, French, Hebrew, Gaelic (I think Louise), Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel), and Hebrew

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a strange feeling reading that again - another example of the new pathways being etched in our brains and in the world. I usually consider well what I type on the boards as editing must be done quickly or not at all and the results are there for all to see. As far as the Café goes, I seem to have a different "gear" and think of it all as being right in the moment and then gone.

What you have provided in transcript form, is a spontaneous act of worship by a body of people joined only through this medium of a keyboard, some cables, their love and the death of one of their own whom none had ever seen. I expected only to experience it in the moment but am glad that now others will catch a glimpse of something true and good.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
64 maximum contributions from a single poster: Eutychus

[Hot and Hormonal] But I'm so shy and retiring!

Thanks for the transcript. Up there with Fields of Gold.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put it down to doing it in two languages.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Languages included English, French, Hebrew, Gaelic (I think Louise), Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel), and Hebrew

Yep, The Lord's Prayer in Scots Gaelic.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for putting that up, Pease.

It's moving to read. Unlike any other format I've ever read online. I mean, I read that format when in the Cafe, but you don't really notice when it's happening in real time.

I'm not making any sense, are I?

I was very moved to read the Kaddish from nicolemrw. I attend a Torah study on Saturday mornings in the summer; I'm (I think) the only Christian in the group. We frequently have a yahrzeit (one year anniversary of a death) to mark, and everyone stands and recites the Kaddish. Except me, because I don't know it. But the words and rhythms are familiar to me now, from hearing it so often, so reading it from nicolemrw gives me the same sense I have when standing with that group.

I wonder if it's allowed to recite it with that group for people whose yahrzeit falls outside of the summer; I will ask the rabbi.

(ETA: This Torah study meets only in the summer because the rabbi summers here in the state of Starlight; about half the group participants are summer residents. If it were a year-round group I'd just toddle off next December for the yahrzeit.)

[ 10. January 2011, 17:53: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had ducked out before the singing and praying started, thinking it would stop shipmates of longer standing being washed overboard, so I had missed what now thoughtfully has been made available in the transcript. Thank you. Even reading through was a moving experience.
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Thanks Simon. A good record of the event.

And, of course, a chance to re-read all the bits I missed while I was typing!

And a chance for those of us who were unceremoniously thrown overboard, dunked or keel hauled from time to time to catch up on what we missed.

Given the fact that, as well as disappearing, many of us couldn't see who was speaking (hey, who turned out the lights?), the service / vigil reads as an amazing whole.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Polish and German (Again I think Rosa Winkel)

I guess the person most likely to post Polish would be me, but it wasn't. I posted using the Cyrillic alphabet in Old Slavonic.

I did post in German, though.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arrietty said:
quote:
the shipmeet where we get to meet Erin!
Amen to that!

Your singing was magnificent. It was like a mighty fugue with everything fitting together and Heavenly harmonies that don't exist in normal life.

Thank you for letting me experience your memorial service.

(OK, a lot more kleenexes to gather up. I suspect the crying isn't nearly done.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Smudgie. I was the one who said I couldn't imagine Erin resting, and you quoted me. I couldn't get in to the wake, but you got me there anyway.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The transcript is amazing.

My wife asked me what virtual praise was like; I said, "like waves". Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yout final song about made me late for work this morning Marv. [Tear]

(Perfect, in other words.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You'll Never Walk Alone"? It seemed appropriate, especially with the amount of people from across the globe who were - and are - united in mourning.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking back at the singing of that song interspersed with various Bible quotations about God's love for us, and the Resurrection was cool especially for this Liverpool fan who associates that song with Hillsborough.

[ 11. January 2011, 10:21: Message edited by: Rosa Winkel ]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you for the transcript and thanks to Pease for all his work to keep the cafe running at the time.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Welsh. Just a little. Dyfrig was standing with me as we prayed the Lord's prayer, so I added a line in his words.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

Absolutely. It was amazing to think that a crowd of us from all over the world were praying simultaneously.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Nor was it virtual, come to think of it. It was very, very real.

Absolutely. It was amazing to think that a crowd of us from all over the world were praying simultaneously.
It's been happening in St Pixels for many years! In fact, the wake was like Church of Fools in its most primitive form all over again. [Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed it was, AM! In fact, when everyone launched into the Lord's Prayer, I was sad that I wasn't able to be there, since no one was saying it in Latin.

jedijudy is quite right that it came across as a fugue. I especially loved nicole's Kaddish (I think?) going along steadily 'underneath' the prayers and hymns and odd bits all weaving in and out.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016