homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Swamp lights (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Swamp lights
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we using the votive for meets as well as candles?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yesterday at http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211034171517622835243.0004995afc686af991f63&ll=52.48278,-1.757812&spn =138.952942,96.679687&z=2
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just repeating the votive candles site in case anyone else would like to add a candle. There are candles under initials "ee" and a group called "SoF."

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am stopping adding people for tonight. I have got as far as "Hare Today". I will continue adding tomorrow.

I can easily use a different symbol for meets if people want them on the same map. Please suggest a simple gif.

People as far as I got through the thread who have not posted enough for me to place them are:

Sabine
Ags
Moo
Quoleth - All Saints turns up many churches a broad place name would be better.
Padre Joshua
Kingsfold - although happy just to use Glasgow
Olivia G
and Margaret.

Happy to be very broad in placement e.g. Caty M is on Devon.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I suggest a simple little boat, or maybe a pint glass for a shipmeet, or a cross if it was a prayer meet?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry Swamplights Map again.

I am going to have to stop as I need to be on top form tomorrow morning

Jengie

[ 08. January 2011, 21:35: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Banner Lady's suggestion of a little boat if we could find such.

I lit a virtual candle here in Blacksburg 37.2°N80.4°W.

I attended a meet with Campbellite in Roanoke 37.3°N79.9°W.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Think2 has suggested:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif

which was done by Curiosity Killed...

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Think2 has suggested:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif

which was done by Curiosity Killed...

Jengie

Nice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not mine, it's where I find odd smilies. There are others on that page. And the axe murderer on another page.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is wonderful! Thanks for the Swamp Lights map, Jengie Jon!

I lit a virtual candle.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Thanks - it's quite beautiful seeing all those bobbing votives representing real candles all over the world.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Jengie Jon. It is beautiful and somehow comforting, a representation of the Ship community at its best.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is awesomely lovely.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jengie

That is beautifil - it looks as though the UK is on fire!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] lit this morning, Slough Parish Church
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
markey
Shipmate
# 14847

- Posted      Profile for markey   Email markey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rochester Cathedral in Kent [Votive]
Posts: 136 | From: south east England | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit one on the virtual site as well. [Votive]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't get to the cathedral - snow and back pain kept me at home. I lit a virtual candle though as promised.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jengie

Oops!
Sent my PM to you before I read this.
Sorry!

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] ..on Friday, during the cafe service.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Map largely up to date now. Funeral changed to a small gator in a black square. Tried beer smiley for a meet but it is too big. At present have part of ship boat, not really happy with that (too indistinct at an appropriate size). Suggestions welcome.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This map is brilliant - thanks again!

Re the beer smiley, how about just the pint glass from it?

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] this morning, Southwark Cathedral, London

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks again Jengie - it was a wonderful idea.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried to find a church with actual votive candles this afternoon. Visited St Mary's Episcopal church, Inverurie Aberdeenshire and prayed there, but it had no votive candles.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Tried to find a church with actual votive candles this afternoon. Visited St Mary's Episcopal church, Inverurie Aberdeenshire and prayed there, but it had no votive candles.

There is now.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something smaller and neater for a meet logo? There are others here under food and drink, but that's the smallest I can see. It's also drinking red wine and the drink Erin said she liked was Cabernet Sauvignon, so it seems appropriate.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I am wondering about using this one although I have drinking a wine glass at present.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Jengie.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie

Just to log, Amazing Grace, Basso, Infinite Monkey, and Kelly Alves had a meet yesterday, and I plan to light a candle at Mission Dolores this afternoon.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Second map with Memorial Meets Marked

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the mapping ecu & jengie; lovely work - gives me a warm glow every time I look at it and think of the caring thoughts and prayers surrounding the gator pic. Nice to remember also that the gator is now surrounding us with her prayers.

[Votive] SoF [Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
thanks to my mom, prayers will be said and a candle lit at mass at Saint Michael and All Angels in Haines, Alaska this morning.

(many thanks from me also. I love this.)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

There was a memorial meet in Washington, DC also. 38.9°N77.0°W

Thanks so much for doing this, Jengie.

Moo

[ 09. January 2011, 18:53: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a candle today at the Cathedral Church of the Nativity of Mary, the Mother of God, during the divine liturgy today at Wrocław, Poland.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a candle for Erin Sunday morning at 10:05 am EST - location: 35° 47' 29" N / 78° 46' 53" W.

All Saints Orthodox Church

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eucharist offered for the repose of Erin Etheredge's soul at St Judes, Burbank:
34.1849°N 118.304°W [Votive]

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Candle lit in Romsey, Hampshire last night.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy for you just to use Glagsow for me.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie - thank you for the map.

There was no chance of forgetting my promise to pray on Sunday - the last hymn was Guide me, O thou Great Redeemer. A struggle, following the Cafe service, and yet when put together with references to life in Christ from the rest of the RL service, a good way in to praying for Erin's family and you all.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Candle and prayers yesterday pretty darn close to lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a candle in Sheffield Cathedral this afternoon.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by St. Stephen the Stoned:
I lit a candle in Sheffield Cathedral this afternoon.

Okay Have re-timed the light for you at Sheffield Cathedral.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark me down too - Prince Edward Island, Canada

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

For those who like pretty things,
  • download Google Earth if you have not already
  • then click on the Swamplights map
  • On the top right hand side there are a series of links that goe "RSS View in GoogleEarth Print Send Link", click on the "View in GoogleEarth". This will download of file of the swamplight in xml
  • open this from Google Earth and you can play with the Earth orb with the swamp lights.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie , you're doing sterling work with this map business! Thanks [Axe murder]
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church doesn't do candles but I was praying for Erin and her family at St Mary Magdalene, Ashton-on-Mersey in Greater Manchester (aka St Valentine-on-the-Barmcake) and have lit a virtual candle on the site.

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

There is a candle lit there now.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016