homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is?
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tudor Bonnet ON

Holds her votive light up to the thread and longs long and hard at it.

Nope. Not a prayer request. Not an announcement. Not arrangements for a meet.

Looks like a "game" thread.

To Heaven with you!

Tudor Bonnet OFF

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I protest strongly against the excesses of Protestantism.

That makes me a meta-Protestant, I guess; and therefore, I am more Protestant than Wood. [Razz]

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I was going to get Wood a "Protestant Ego-Preener" for Christmas this year, but I think he is being outdone.

PS Whats an alb/stole? I think I might be even more protestant than the lot of you.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
PS Whats an alb/stole? I think I might be even more protestant than the lot of you.

OK - 1 point for you too, young ChrisT. Just don't go admitting to an Anglo-Romish spouse or owt.
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's an alb ?

come to think of it,
What's a stole (if it's not like a furry scarf ?)

oops - didn't see page 2 = not looking to steal someone else's points.

[ 02. July 2003, 15:30: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by anglicanrascal:
Question 1

On which day does the Church celebrate the solemn feast of Sts Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley?

Have we had an answer to this yet? If not:

Answer: October 16

But I'm much less protestant than Wood.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by junior fool:
The Goths weren't really protestants, although sacking Rome would be a good way of protesting.

They were Arians!

Proper Protestants are Proper Trinitarians.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, if I may add, Proper Protestants believe in the Sovreignty of God.
Wayward Crucifer
Shipmate
# 152

- Posted      Profile for Wayward Crucifer   Email Wayward Crucifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am the truely truest protestant.
  • When I go to church I wear a simple black gown.
  • Over this, I wear a simple white tunic - as one washed clean.
  • I take up my cross on a regular basis.
  • I use scriptural paraphernalia and smells in my worship.
  • I regularly worship in the language Jesus spoke - just like in the Authorised Bible.
  • I frequently gather round close to the communion table.
  • My bible has extra devotional texts in.
  • I am not under the authority of the Bishop of Rome.

Wayward

[ 02. July 2003, 17:01: Message edited by: wayward crucifer ]

--------------------
"it is folly -- it is madness -- to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."
Frank Weston, Bishop of Zanzibar

Posts: 314 | From: Over here! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so Protestant that:
  • my parents at baptism dedicated me to St Mary the mother of our Lord (mind you they also dedicated me to John Calvin as well)
  • At home there is a picture of an obscure Roman Catholic Saint in the loo
  • When ordained elder my parents gave me a rosary ring to wear all the time

In other words we freely borrow from other traditions when we want to knowing that nobody could possibly think we were going to convert.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wayward crucifer:

Wayward

You wear vestments? What sort of papist reactionary are you?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so Protestant that my birthday is on Reformation Day , my bible does not contain any 2nd deuto books, I don't go to confession...and I admit I get bored whenever the pope is on tv. There, oh and yeah...according to my mother, "my ancestors were Protestants all the way back to coming over on the Mayflower" (screamed at me when I took confession in a RCC with a friend at age 8 without my parents' permission).

Yep, I feel pretty Protestant and more than Wood. That proves it...the Mayflower and especially the birthday since God gave me that birthday. [smug look], who needs to recite Anglican history?

[ 02. July 2003, 17:50: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duchess,

a true protestant places no worth upon dates.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wayward Crucifer
Shipmate
# 152

- Posted      Profile for Wayward Crucifer   Email Wayward Crucifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what's a vestment? - I tell you, I wear only simple, old-fashioned clothing.
Oh, and on Sunday I specially honoured Paul - the one who wrote the bible.
Wayward.
And p.s. a person who might be classed a 'papist reactionary' once called me a heretical schismatic.

[added p.s.

[ 02. July 2003, 18:23: Message edited by: wayward crucifer ]

--------------------
"it is folly -- it is madness -- to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the Throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children. It cannot be done."
Frank Weston, Bishop of Zanzibar

Posts: 314 | From: Over here! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ain't winning--I didn't know what a Protestant was until I was 8. Before then, I thought the whole world was Catholic, Jewish, or Pagan.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bel, it is.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Elephenor
Shipmate
# 4026

- Posted      Profile for Elephenor   Email Elephenor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Wood can't be a Protestant, since he's a Dissenter?

--------------------
"Man is...a `eucharistic' animal." (Kallistos Ware)

Posts: 214 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
"my ancestors were Protestants all the way back to coming over on the Mayflower"

Quitters!

My Protestant ancestors stayed and fought. One of them got buried in four different towns after what the turncoat king Charles's men did to him. There is a monument to him (and others) in the town where his heart was buried.

So there!

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stoo, the bible is replete with DATES so they DO matter. [Roll Eyes]

Ken, Well, some of my ancestors were killed by Indians. I still voted though for Indian Gaming in California. Being killed does not make one more Protestant, birthdays and Mayflower count more.
That is pretty impressive though. Ok, you are more Protestant than Wood but still less than ME. [Yipee]

[ 02. July 2003, 19:53: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Ken, Well, some of my ancestors were killed by Indians. I still voted though for Indian Gaming in California. Being killed does not make one more Protestant, birthdays and Mayflower count more.

It does matter if you were a COVENANTER and your enemies were CATHOLICS. I should think that that is a very PROTESTANT thing to be entirely. One is almost tempted to shout NO SURRENDER!

I draw a veil over the putative activities of my other ancestors who were on the other side of the water at the time.

Anyway everyone knows that your ancestors weren't killed by the Indians because your ancestors were obviously colonialists and invaders and oppressors and did most of the killing themselves. In the unlikely event any of them got killed themselves they obvioulsly must have deserved it!

And of course you voted for Indian Gaming. After all those centuries of oppression who could be so cruel as to stop them playing a few games? Baseball, perhaps?

Elizabeth Anne

Altar Girl
# 3555

- Posted      Profile for Elizabeth Anne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:
I ain't winning--I didn't know what a Protestant was until I was 8. Before then, I thought the whole world was Catholic, Jewish, or Pagan.

That reminds me of something funny that happened to me in junior high. A classmate asked me, "Are you Catholic of Jewish?" When I responded, "Neither," she said with much incredulity, "Then what are you? Pagan?"

Then there was another schoolmate around the same time who thought that because my mother is Greek that I followed the practice of worshipping the ancient Greek gods Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite etc. (Were these kids trying to tell me something?) Not that I have anything against Pagans, it's just that I'm not one!

Maybe a little religious education in state schools wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Oh, and back on topic; I'm not even in the semi-finals Protestant-wise.

--------------------
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in my eyes...

Posts: 974 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ms Lilith
Shipmate
# 1767

- Posted      Profile for Ms Lilith   Email Ms Lilith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gone are the days when I could claim to be more protestant than Wood. Although I would have won mind you. My church didnt even practise communion cos it was "just a symbol and we who were truely saved did'nt need it".

I was raised by evangelicals and educated by anglo catholics - a lot like being raised by wolves

I can verify, however, that Wood has no idea what a spiritual director is which i think is one up in the protestant stakes.

Posts: 266 | From: birmingham | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so, am i the least protestant on -2 points?

hmm.... that means I've F**ked up the poll....

Ha! that'll serve you all right for being scripture obsessed, puritanical pedants!

[Big Grin]

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a non-conformist, where does that place me?

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am definitely more Protestant than Wood. I was baptised in the only church in the world that truly followed the teachings of Jean Calvin, after whom their college and seminary were named. Unfortunately, that church ceased conducting its services in Dutch and thereby fell into apostasy.

I was confirmed in a church whose name at the time began with the word "Protestant". First things first.

Now that that's settled, I'll get back to saying my Rosary.

Greta

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
isn't 'non-conformist' in the same kind of league as being a 'simply red' fan? [Snigger]

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Starbelly; in a small chapel with 4 other people and a damp 1960's electirc organ.

P

[ 02. July 2003, 21:38: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e there are far more non conformists around than you think. My local Presbyterian Reformed splinter church has a total of, wait for it, 12 people on average (13 when I go). That is 3 times more than 4 (I can't believe I just said something so banal.)
Yes, the world is divided into Catholics, Jews and Pagans. The church of Rome is mainly in the Pagan camp, at least in its practices, it is not for me to judge its members' hearts, although in some ways it is still true to the one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church

[ 02. July 2003, 23:51: Message edited by: junior fool ]

Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
Oi!

Anglo catholics are still protestants!

Oi. How many times do I have to (tediously) remind you people that Anglicans are neither Protestant nor Catholic (and, conversely and paradoxically, they are BOTH protestant and catholic).

Being an Anglican, and therefore not Protestant or Catholic, I cannot compare my "protestantism" to Wood's. Although in comparison, Wood makes me look like a Blessed-Virgin-Mary-Queen-of-Heaven-worshipping, missal-clutching, icon-kissing, Palestrina-singing, holy-water-flinging, Holy-Biscuit-venerating, High-Mass-(non-communicating) crypto-Papist.

This is all neither here nor there. The important thing is that I am more correct than Wood. Always remember that.

HT

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
Question 1

On which day does the Church celebrate the solemn feast of Sts Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley?

But I'm much less protestant than Wood.

The quality of my Protestantism is unclear, since I know that the Heavenly Birthday of Blessed Thomas Cranmer is 21st March (1556). This is the day noted for his remembrance (that is, the giving thanks for his life) in the Australian Kalendar. Latimer and Ridley are correctly celebrated on Oct 16th (1555).

+1 pt, I reckon.

However, just so you are not in any doubt: I seek the prayers of St Joseph and St Michael. And actually own a St Joseph holy card and a copy of the prayer to St Michael the Archangel.

-ve one squillion points.

[Edit: And I feel moved to add - see my avatar for a likeness of Thomas, Abp, Liturgist and Martyr]

[ 03. July 2003, 01:50: Message edited by: Icarus Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a Protestant?

Is it someone whose robes are a different shade of purple on some pagan-absorbed feast day? No!

Is it someone who has mischievously adjusted his or her liturgical calendar? No!

Is it someone whose ancestors murdered Catholics? No!

Is it some brash young buck who goes to an Australian house church with 13 other like-minded reactionaries who try to out-Catholic the Catholic church with a special sense of “pure and unadulterated Christianity?” NO NO NO!!!

A Protestant is one who leaves their church in a rebellious and sanctimonious huff, thinking themselves spiritually superior to the established hierarchy and its hypocritical sychophants. The Protestant is arrogant, insufferable, and nauseatingly holier than any “thou” on the planet. A Protestant fills his or her head with orthodox dogma strictly for the purpose of tearing it to shreds, affirming nothing while claiming an idiosyncratic system of belief deliberately vile to any person of religious education and authority. Need I say more? I can only offer a dim and distant second place to jugular.

Nice try, everyone.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm less Protestant than Wood. But then that's not saying much. I think the POPE of ROME was the first Protestant. [Snigger]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

<snip!>
Anyway everyone knows that your ancestors weren't killed by the Indians because your ancestors were obviously colonialists and invaders and oppressors and did most of the killing themselves. In the unlikely event any of them got killed themselves they obvioulsly must have deserved it!

And of course you voted for Indian Gaming. After all those centuries of oppression who could be so cruel as to stop them playing a few games? Baseball, perhaps?

Ken, since you are almost as Protestant as I am, I begged my mom to look through her list of ancestors and find the NAMES of the ancestors killed by Indians. I also forgot to add Indians killing off people around them was commonplace which I included an example.

BTW, one of my ancestors, Sam Barr, great-or great-great, was a Swedish Borgian, my mom just yelled from the other room. I am AT my mother's house and she just looked this letter up for me in her pile of ancestor papers. I am going to save this post in my archieve for anyone else who wants to diss me and my ancestors - (forerunners which explains why I got to exist after most of this family was killed off [Wink] ).

This is from a letter from Robert Sloan Alexander to Mitchell Patterson...Brookings, South Dakota March 12, 1910....to try make it succint...this man is 85 years old who wrote this letter. He is my grandmother Harriet (the one in Iowa who is now 97)'s great great uncle. Robert Sloan Alexander's grandfather was my great great great Grandfather. His name was William Alexander. William Alexander married Susan Knox who is my great-great-great-grandma on My grandmother Harriet's side. Robert Sloan Alexander is the 85 year old writing this letter to Mitchell Patterson.

Scott Alexander in 1902 told me that in the archieves of Pa. William Alexander, my granfather was a captain of a Co. for defense against the Indians, in the Revolutionary stuggle. He married Susan Knox who when a little girl had been taken prisoner in the previous French and Indian war. She was with the Indians in the wilds of Ohio 3 years and was finally exahnged at Fort Duquesne, Pittsburg. I remember her quite well. Oh! that I could have known to have her tales written.

(There I will put in what I heard from Aunt Angie (my father's eldest sister, Susan Angeline McCune Hill)) The family of Susan Knox, were her father, mother, older brother, and an older sister, and a baby. The day the Indians came her older sister was away from home. The Indians killed the father and son (or her brother) when they fought defending the family. The baby was swung against a tree, and the mother died from exhaustion. Susan [duchess's great-great-great grandma] was saved only because a squaw took a fancy to her and took care of her. When she was exchanged [at] Fort Duqesne, the older sister recoginized her by a piece of dress material and by her pet name. The older sister became the mother of James Knox Polk, on President of these United States.)

The older sister Jane Knox married Samuel Polk and produced James Knox Polk. Source here.

(BTW, James Knox Polk was a great-grandnephew of John Knox, the founder of Scottish Presbyterianism, which makes me [duchess] in a way even more Protestant (pls figure this out, especially if you are Scottish and don't like me). James Knox Polk was my great-great uncle. Source, this letter and also history from http://www.reidpres.com/ scroll down U.S. Presidents and others who were Presbyterians) James K. Polk married Susan Knox's older sister.

In the early Indian war times, my grandfrather, Andrew Reid <snip!>'s leaving was about the time when a whole school had been murdered by the Indians, near where they lived [Franklin Co.] No doubt you have read of it in history.

I have more stories if you wish, but that will do for now.

[ 03. July 2003, 05:42: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

note: [Help] William Alexander was my great-great-great-great grandfather. I just spotted this too late to edit. Thx.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken and Duchess:

-1000 points each for resting on your ancestors' laurels.

Pedigree matters not. "God has no grandchildren."

(mutters: "What ARE they teaching them in Sunday School these days?" )

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waves Canterbury Cap: Host note]

Please keep your posts in the witty and light vein which we know and love in Heaven. AnglicanRascal will be along soon to distribute some points, I'm sure.

duchess, the genealogical stuff sounds quite fascinating, but would be more suitable on a new thread on the subject (You have definitely established your Protestant connections).

[End note: waves Canterbury Cap which he hasn't done for a while, but does so in a desperate attempt to get Protty Points from AR]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Sorry Coot, I felt dissed and it is late and I got carried away. [Embarrassed]

Golden Key, ultimately you are right but this makes some good bedtime stories for my kidlets (me being an auntie). [Wink]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Duchess,

oh, the genealogy is fine. Was just speaking within the confines of the contest! [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Katie H. L.
Shipmate
# 1996

- Posted      Profile for Katie H. L.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How Protestant am I?

Well, I have a very hard time telling albs, chausables, and the like apart.

I think "tunicle" is the funniest word I've ever heard.

But I quite like incense, holy-water flinging, and lighting candles to Our Lady.

I don't think I'll be getting a lot of points in either direction!

Katie

--------------------
Katie L. just using her middle initial for a while.

Posts: 606 | From: San Francisco, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
A Protestant is one who leaves their church in a rebellious and sanctimonious huff, thinking themselves spiritually superior to the established hierarchy and its hypocritical sychophants. The Protestant is arrogant, insufferable, and nauseatingly holier than any “thou” on the planet. A Protestant fills his or her head with orthodox dogma strictly for the purpose of tearing it to shreds, affirming nothing while claiming an idiosyncratic system of belief deliberately vile to any person of religious education and authority. Need I say more?

Sounds like me. [Big Grin]

quote:
Posted by Hooker's Trick: This is all neither here nor there. The important thing is that I am more correct than Wood. Always remember that.
Dude, that is fighting talk.

Outside. Now. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
Question 1

Correct. You gain 1 Anglican point, but lose 1 Protestant point for making no protest about Saints or Feast Days.

quote:
Originally posted by wayward crucifer:
  • I take up my cross on a regular basis.
  • I use scriptural paraphernalia and smells in my worship.
  • I regularly worship in the language Jesus spoke - just like in the Authorised Bible.
  • I frequently gather round close to the communion table.
  • My bible has extra devotional texts in.
  • I am not under the authority of the Bishop of Rome.

Frankly, the judge is suspicious. [Disappointed] In which language is the second word of your ship-name? Romish? In that case, you lose 2 points. [Disappointed]

Jengie. [Disappointed] 'nuff said. [Frown]

quote:
I am so Protestant that my birthday is on Reformation Day , my bible does not contain any 2nd deuto books, I don't go to confession...and I admit I get bored whenever the pope is on tv. There, oh and yeah...according to my mother, "my ancestors were Protestants all the way back to coming over on the Mayflower" (screamed at me when I took confession in a RCC with a friend at age 8 without my parents' permission).

Duchess, you get a point for your birthday (though some protestant sects would question the wisdom of celebrating one day above another - the Lord's Day is the only one to keep). And you gain a point for the quality of your Bible (though you fail to mention which translation it is). And you gain another point for having Protestant ancestors. HOWEVER [Mad] You lose 2 points for having a TV which shows the Pope on it. You lose 15 points for having been to Romish Confession to a priest of the Whore of Babylon. And you lose 20 points for your SCARLET signature. (10 of which are for having a "Patron Saint" - 10 of which are for linking to a Popish website.) We are NOT amused.

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I was baptised in the only church in the world that truly followed the teachings of Jean Calvin, after whom their college and seminary were named. Unfortunately, that church ceased conducting its services in Dutch and thereby fell into apostasy.

I was confirmed in a church whose name at the time began with the word "Protestant". First things first.

Now that that's settled, I'll get back to saying my Rosary.

Greta:
Calvin = +1
Services in a foreign language: -1
Apostacy of previous Church: -1
Romish practice of Confirmation: -1
Happening in a church called Protesant = apostacy: -1.

Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus Coot:
[End note: waves Canterbury Cap which he hasn't done for a while, but does so in a desperate attempt to get Protty Points from AR]

Cooticarus: added to your minus squillion points as noted before...
+1 point for the cap, but beware of following the Traditions of Man.
HOWEVER [Mad] The judge has noted one of your previous Profiles, which referred to "Tridentine tittilation", if his memory serves him correctly. I am afraid that is at least minus 5 points. Could.Do.Better.

That's all for now, folks.

Pax out, y'all,
anglicanrascal

Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, it's time to play my cards... The competition has really heated up.

My mother is a presbyterian. My dad was born Anglican.
Living in a rural community the only accessible churches were a nearby Church of Ireland (Anglican) and a joint Methodist / Presbyterian church (could start a few threads in purg. on that). We went to both churches. My parents refused to have my sisters and me baptised, christened or confirmed in the Church of Ireland church, because they believed that baptism was a personal choice and that confirmation was irrelevant.

We stopped attending the Church of Ireland church when a High-church clergyman was appointed to the parish.

At 21 years old I got baptised by full immersion by a Baptist church. The building where the baptism took place was one used by Cromwell's men for church while they were killing Catholics in Ireland.

Hmmm, that's about it. Oh, and some of my in the 17th century after they were kicked out of France for being too, er, protestant. Ironically they ended up in Ireland, which is 95% RC.

Erm, a confession is that I've been to Cathlic mass about five times. Two weddings, two funerals and one other occasion. Oh, and one of my great grandfathers was catholic - and apparently regretted that his children were raised as Presbyterians.

[Razz]

[ 03. July 2003, 10:04: Message edited by: Jimi Kendricks ]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should have known Anglicans did not know a protestant when they had one in front of them so:

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Baptised of believing parents, father a Calvinist Scholar, mother a fourth generation Methodist, a protestant of protestants, As to grace converted in a sermon, a lover of the bible, baptised in the spirit, as to conviction, left wing, tea-total with pacifist leanings, a recognised elder in my local congregation which only reluctantly recognises Easter and Christmas and is not sure to trust the heresy of singing hymns. Yet all this I count as null in service of the Kingdom of God.

Apologies to St. Paul

Jengie

[ 03. July 2003, 10:20: Message edited by: Jengie ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having garnered no points at all for four perfectly good definitions of what a Protestant is not and a stirring and eloquent paragraph on what one is, (too?) subtly applying it to myself, I hereby leave this thread in a sanctimonious huff. Should any points be awarded for them at some future date, I hereby assign them to Wood, who was the only participant sensible enough to claim them and thus grasp the true meaning of Protestantism.

Oh, and the winner of the wit contest is Mousethief for credibly calling the Pope a Protestant. Way to put that devastating philosophical redefinition ability that made you a "not it's not" champ to work, buddy! [Not worthy!]

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So there's no place for someone who left an extremely charismatic church as they didn't display True Christianity?

Not that I care. Earthly rewards mean nothing to me.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once posted this message: "Jesus was the first Protestant" to derisory insults.

Non-conformity AND persecution! Surely I win?!

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

But-but I look so Protestant. [Tear]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
But-but I look so Protestant. [Tear]

[Eek!]

That's you stuffed then!

Don;t you know that:

quote:

Man looketh on the outward appearance, but God looketh on the heart

?
[Edit: Fixed quote. 'Cos I am benevolent]

[ 04. July 2003, 03:09: Message edited by: Icarus Coot ]

Xavierite
Shipmate
# 2575

- Posted      Profile for Xavierite         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a defective sense of humour, poor dress sense, evangelistic tendencies, and an ability to sound like I had my critical faculties removed with a spoon at an early age.

Do I win?

[Snigger] [Killing me] [Razz]

Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only think that the Canon of the Mass should be sung on solemnities.

Do I win?

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016