homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Are you more Protestant than Wood is?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This link may help.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
This link may help.

Jengie

Jengie, the link is dismissive of evangelicals and Bible-churches. Do you think that is a good way to win yourself Protestant Points?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. You asked a question I replied to it by using a websearch.

I of course being protestant have decided to wander off apart from throwing the occasional brick bat to keep the thread alive.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, -1PP for nearly leading people off the Right Path and into destruction.

+2PP for keeping the thread alive.

Pax,
anglicanrascal

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the plus side:
  • Descended from Mennonites on every branch of my family tree
  • Believer's baptism - dunked three times, backwards - at age nine in a Baptist church
  • Can't dance to save my life
  • Own six different translations of the Bible, plus one commentary. Even read them sometimes.
  • Work as office manager at a United Church of Christ congregation

On the minus side:
  • That commentary is the New Jerome Biblical Commentary
  • Was confirmed in the Episcopal Church at age 30, and thought the bishop was pretty impressive
  • Of the four Episcopal churches in town, the one I attend is the highest up the candle
  • Studied Latin in grad school and liked it. Still remember some of it.

And one thing I'm not sure what to make of:
  • I think the best thing about the 39 Articles is that it contains a fabulous illustration of the real meaning of the word "enormity." If I never again hear someone use it to mean "large," it'll be too soon.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I think the best thing about the 39 Articles is that it contains a fabulous illustration of the real meaning of the word "enormity." If I never again hear someone use it to mean "large," it'll be too soon.

Surely you are thinking of the Great Litany (that is, 'The Letanie')? Where:

"From all sedicion and prievie conspiracie, from the tyranny of the Bysshop of Rome and al hys detestable enormities, from all false doctrine and heresy, from hardnesse of hearte, and contempte of thy woorde and commaundemente.

Good Lorde, deliver us."

The bold section against the Anti-Christ of the Painted Whore of Babylon was removed by the despicable romanising crypto-papistical Elizabeth I in the 1559 BCP (Oh god I heart her. Oop! What a giveaway).

Praps you are thinking of the glorious Article XXII?

"THE Romish doctrine concerning Purgatory, Pardons, worshipping and adoration as well of Images as of Relics, and also Invocation of Saint, is a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture; but rather repugnant to the word of God."

Testing:
'I am thinking of buying the Orthodox study bible today, but I may instead buy an icon of St Michael'.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coot: I'm so [Embarrassed] ! On the other hand, not being able to place this phrase properly may gain me a few Protestant points.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
AB
Shipmate
# 4060

- Posted      Profile for AB   Author's homepage   Email AB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Sunday I walked out in the middle of a sermon in protest and prayed for the rest of a service under a tree.

And yesterday I corrected [Wink] the theology of our full-time elder after his sermon on Acts 2.

Both, rather amusingly, are true.

[Smile]

PP me up.

AB

--------------------
"This is all that I've known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this or that point: God is nevertheless love."
- Søren Kierkegaard

Posts: 513 | From: not so sunny Warwickshire | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit - Laura had me worried there for a while, but Wood - I'm in awe of you man. Those quotes from the bible... wow. However, as the bible refers to Wood as a god, the implication is that you are working for the other side, which probably loses you about, eh, -1000000 points ( I couldn't find the infinity symbol, 1000000 will have to do).

I'm just back from holidays, where I spent a week with a friend who's father is a Lutheran pastor. We attended his church on one Sunday. I think that deserves some points.

JK

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/stephenhillmusic

Posts: 1269 | From: Dublin. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

- Posted      Profile for Big Steve   Author's homepage   Email Big Steve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that I inherantly deserve any points! I deserve points by grace only.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brother, those points are written in the Lamb's Book of Points from before all eternity! Nothing you do or say here can affect the number of points assigned to you.

All tht is happening on this thread is the gradual revelation of our true points total by the providential outworking of the predestinary loving care of God for his creation.

So I have not gained any more points because I attended an believer's baptism by full immersion yesterday, but that that I was led to such a place by the Spirit working through the lives of those around me is an indication and a sign of the true total of Points laid up for me in heaven before the founding of the world.

And what do Points make?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And what do Points make?

Points make us more humble - I will infact be participating in a TV service on RTE Television on 10th August - so yah!

This will be my SECOND TV appearance. It will show my Protestant worthiness off to everyone.

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

RuthW:
quote:

On the minus side:

[other items cut]

Studied Latin in grad school and liked it. Still remember some of it.

But Calvin's Institutes is written in Latin. It is one of the reasons that they are readable.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
Not that I inherantly deserve any points! I deserve points by grace only.

Unfortunately, you were predestined to not get any.
Big Steve

Ship's Navigator
# 3274

Huh? What's an anglican like your good self using words like "predestined" for? I'm quite dubious about your qualification her. Today I'm feeling very Arminian.

Having said that, I would be interested in a "Are you more Orthodox than Fr Gregory" or "Are you more Catholic than Jesuitical Lad" or even "Are you more Anglican than Anglicanrascal".

How about it?

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently finding things within Protestantism to protest about - what does that make me?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Jimi Kendricks:
Huh? What's an anglican like your good self using words like "predestined" for?

Article XVII!! [Mad]
-4PP for you, child.
quote:
Having said that, I would be interested in a "Are you more Orthodox than Fr Gregory" or "Are you more Catholic than Jesuitical Lad" or even "Are you more Anglican than Anglicanrascal".
Hmm - might be messy for an orthodox catholic Anglican like me! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:
I'm currently finding things within Protestantism to protest about - what does that make me?

An heretick.

Pax,
anglicanrascal

[ 28. July 2003, 11:32: Message edited by: anglicanrascal ]

anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

quote:
Originally posted by Dyfrig:

So - do you actually want some PPs? I think I have three spare to give away before the end of the night.

Pax,
anglicanrascal

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016