homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2003 (First Annual) Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:

Ronnie Biggs

Things are looking up for you there.

This is sooo sick. [Big Grin]

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone have Harold Shipman?

No.... ?

Ah well.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Harold Shipman - (doctor that killed lots of patients) is gone now too. don't think nayone picked him...

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ponty'n'pop
Shipmate
# 5198

- Posted      Profile for Ponty'n'pop   Email Ponty'n'pop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'm still allowed to enter:

1. John Paul II
2. Ronald Reagan
3. Jimmy Carter
4. Michael Jackson
5. Soham murderer Ian Huntley
6. The Duke of Edinburgh, aka Phillip Windsor
7. James Callaghan
8. Ozzie Osbourne
9. Richard Attenborough
10. Muhammed Ali
11. Kirk Douglas
12. Ian Paisley (Senior)
13. Saddam Hussain (my banker)

--------------------
"....creeping around a cow shed at 2 o'clock in the morning. That doesn't sound very wise to me"

Posts: 236 | From: South Wales | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one had Joan Aiken or Antonia Forest either, not even me, who should know better. They're both children's authors and the value of their books will now shoot up - and us with only a measly couple of copies of Wolves of Willoughby Chase in stock.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw in the news today that Randy Van Warmer has died (only about 48) 'Just when I needed you most'

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm bad. I heard on my sarky news quiz that Boris Yeltsin had been recovering from heart attacks all those times he "disappeared" and most of us thought he was off drying out somewhere.

My thought was "I wanted him on my list, did I remember to put him on when I had to recreate it?"

[Roll Eyes]

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here we are at the end of January, and not one person on our lists has had the decency to die. Don't they know that our self esteem is riding on their timely demises?

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang -- I entered my list on the Hell thread and now it's gone. [Frown]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
February has come and gone, and we're still at a big zero. How much longer must we wait?!

Sieg

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
February has come and gone, and we're still at a big zero. How much longer must we wait?!

Sieg

Thanks for bumping it up. This thread almost got deleted during my purge last night - caught it at the last min.

I have now saved a copy to my hard drive just in case.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Anyone have Spalding Gray?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris Siegfriedov:
Anyone have Spalding Gray?

They seem to be a hardy bunch, our listees. People should send large donations to the Organ Fund for the privilege of being listed by us (and staying alive despite various sorts of Conventional Wisdom).

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems we all gave the gift of life this past holiday season...

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Porter-Miller

Tiocfaidh Separabit
# 1459

- Posted      Profile for Robert Porter-Miller   Author's homepage   Email Robert Porter-Miller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's 9 and a half more months to go - don't be so pessimistic people

--------------------
It's a beautiful day - don't let it get away - Bono and the boys

Let's all "Release Some Tension"

Posts: 1231 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Miller:
There's 9 and a half more months to go - don't be so pessimistic people

Interesting use of the term pessimistic. [Biased]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and people are more likely to die as the year goes on as they will be getting older ... I am sure there is a logic behind that argument ...

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the counter argument is that shipmates are likely to have chosen those who were expected to die in the near future. So it would be logical for most of them to die in the first half of the year, with a few surprises in the second half, just to keep everyone guessing.

So having got halfway through March ( nearly ) without any points does not bode well for the pool. It probably does bode well for the people on our lists, as Erin has said.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my boy John Allen Mohammed is scheduled for execution in October. Here's hoping the appeal doesn't last long [Biased]

This is so sick [Big Grin] ...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Death penalty appeals can take years. Don't hold your breath.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Well, my boy John Allen Mohammed is scheduled for execution in October. Here's hoping the appeal doesn't last long [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
So, here they are, the rules for the Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool, with thanks to the SDMB for the basics: ...
5. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed, but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. E.g., a shiv in the stomach counts, lethal injection does not.

I know you asked about a situation (this one actually) where the sentance had not yet been given and whether it would be exempted from this rule, but I didn't see an answer.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshoooter:
quote:
So, here they are, the rules for the Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool, with thanks to the SDMB for the basics: ...
5. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed, but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. E.g., a shiv in the stomach counts, lethal injection does not.

I know you asked about a situation (this one actually) where the sentance had not yet been given and whether it would be exempted from this rule, but I didn't see an answer.
Since when I chose him he wasn't scheduled to be executed (since he hadn't actually been found guilty at that stage), I assume he's still going to score me points if he does get executed this year (which as Ruth pointed out is very unlikely [Frown] )

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

- Posted      Profile for Gremlin         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
So having got halfway through March ( nearly ) without any points does not bode well for the pool. It probably does bode well for the people on our lists, as Erin has said.

Surely this is going to be like waiting for a bus... we'll wait ages, and then all of a sudden, six nominated people will kick the bucket in a single week! [Two face]

Gremlin

--------------------
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...
Oh I get it... like humour... but different.

Posts: 5221 | From: Isle of Man | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've still crossing my fingers for Ant & Dec.
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
I've still crossing my fingers for Ant & Dec.

You, me, and most of the sane part of the Great British unwashed!!

Gremlin

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone have Sir Peter Ustinov ?

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papa_Smurf:

Uriel did. I make that 18 points. [Big Grin]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone had Alistair Cooke didn't they?
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Norman the Organ:
Someone had Alistair Cooke didn't they?

Ebeth and Eigon both did. Only 5 points each for him though.

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't hold your breath. Unless he pulls a Gary Gilmore -who demanded execution- he could last for years. [Roll Eyes]

(And I know an executed prisoner doesn't count, anyway.)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Lyda:

I thought we'd already sorted that out -

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshoooter:
quote:

Since when I chose him he wasn't scheduled to be executed (since he hadn't actually been found guilty at that stage), I assume he's still going to score me points if he does get executed this year (which as Ruth pointed out is very unlikely [Frown] )

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Michal
Shipmate
# 5337

- Posted      Profile for Michal   Email Michal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard this morning that Alistair Cooke died this morning at age 95. Did anyone have them on their Death List?

No? Ah, well. Good luck through the next quarter, then.

--------------------
Living Christ, you are risen from the dead! Love reigns! NZ Prayer Book, 1989.

Posts: 170 | From: Water and Dunes | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ebeth had Alastair Cooke. Don't know about anyone else, though.

Low points score, he was 95.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

quote:
Originally posted by Michal:
Just heard this morning that Alistair Cooke died this morning at age 95. Did anyone have them on their Death List?

No? Ah, well. Good luck through the next quarter, then.

I quite distinctly remember that some did (claim your five points). Not me, because I was in some small way selfishly trying to keep him alive so I could listen to more "Letters from America" (which is not what he was famous for in the US).

[Tear]

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter Ustinov died yesterday - I don't know if anyone had him down on their list. I could have sworn I did, but apparently that was wishful thinking (if you'll pardon the phrase in this context. Though why I'm apologising for tastelessness on a thread whose whole raison d'etre is that very subject I know not).
Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kentishmaid:
Peter Ustinov died yesterday - I don't know if anyone had him down on their list.

yep.

quote:
originally posted by Paul W:
quote:

Originally posted by Papa_Smurf:

Uriel did. I make that 18 points.

Paul W

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

I'm sure everyone's ignoring me (except Jenny). I also pointed out that both Ebeth and Eigon have Alistair Cooke.

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
I'm sure everyone's ignoring me (except Jenny). I also pointed out that both Ebeth and Eigon have Alistair Cooke.

Paul W

Sorry, it's still really early here.

Charlotte
(who crossposted with Chorister)

--------------------
.sig on vacation

splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not ignoring you Paul. I noticed your post.

It is just typical we had no deaths for 3 months, and then 2 died within a day of each other [Eek!]

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Paul W

Ignoring who?

--------------------
My allotment blog

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Paul

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

Paul W

Ignoring who?
Just call me Wood.

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

NO
Shipmate
# 5477

- Posted      Profile for NO     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody seems to have pointed out that Uriel has won the Inside Track with the Grim Reaper award for 2004, as specified by Erin in the OP.

Congratulations, Uriel... remind me to keep in your good books [Biased]

[ 30. March 2004, 14:34: Message edited by: Norman the Organ ]

Gremlin
Ship's Cryptanalyst
# 129

Having predicted we'd get nothing for months, then half-a-dozen all at once, I'm (eagerly?) waiting to see who pops off tonight! [Two face]

Gremlin

--------------------

Purple Sparkler
Shipmate
# 5661

- Posted      Profile for Purple Sparkler   Author's homepage   Email Purple Sparkler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have Sir John Mills? And am I also allowed George Dubya, specifying by assassination- he's certainly going the right way about pissing people with guns off.

--------------------
"It lasts and ever shall, for God loves it." Julian of Norwich

Posts: 137 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

Paul W

Ignoring who?
Just call me Wood.

Paul W

but I do sweetie [Biased]

I think some people have picked George Bush - we'll see though.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - was being dim. Didn't read half the thread. Sorry Paul.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

[Biased]

Paul W

--------------------

Blog
Flickr

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Did anyone have Norris McWhirter from the UK's Record Breakers ?

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

This thread is responsible for me actually looking for people who are dying, and then my first thought not being one of sorrow, but one of damn - should of thought of them.

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016