homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Social action and shipmeets (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Social action and shipmeets
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I was going to PM a host to ask about individual threads, but it seems to make sense to do it that way. So we'll do something about donating to a local foodbank during the first week of July. There was also a suggestion to do something on St. Simeon's day (July 21st), maybe for Mercy Ships, thoughts on that?

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm taking care of sick and elderly relatives right now, but when I get a moment to catch my breath, I'm going to be thinking about projects--both online and IRL.

I'd like to see this become a regular thing on the Ship--brainstorming ideas and then getting a project together when it seems workable.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Social Action Food Bank thread, this suggestion was made by Campbellite. I thought I'd copy it here--it might come in handy for other projects as well. I don't see why we can't print our own as we need them:

quote:
Hmm... I wonder if we could work up a "Mystery Worshipper" type card to include with the box of canned goods, etc.

"From your friends at Ship-of-Fools.com"

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two national and international days in August that might interest for social action

International Youth Day on the 12th August 2007 - which has a series of suggestions for action on the link. The slogan is "Be seen, be heard: youth participation for development"

A UK national event in August is Marine Week and there will be opportunities to help clean up beaches as part of this.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good thoughts. I am not sure what I could do in either case but I would be willing to give it a try. I know I will be giving blood in august. Does anybody else have any other ideas?

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... A Ship of Fools bloodletting.

That idea has a perverse appeal for this Transylvanian.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
A UK national event in August is Marine Week and there will be opportunities to help clean up beaches as part of this.

I wonder if we could also support the RNLI as I suspect they'll be pretty busy in August.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
meow
Shipmate
# 9273

- Posted      Profile for meow   Author's homepage   Email meow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oxfam is organising Oxfam trail walks (see wikipedia information about oxfam trailwalker)

The idea is that teams of four people walk 100km (as a team to whole distance together = each person walking 100km) for a good cause. The goal is for each team to collect enough money as they prepare for the walk to finance things such as clean water systems, mosquito nets, care for people with AIDS, starting co-operative to grow organic food, you name it.

There are events in Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the United Kingdom. What about having SoF teams in all these events? We need walkers, people on support teams, and donations!

The one for New Zealand is starting to have teams signing up now. The NZ trailwalker will be in April 2008. (more on the NZ trailwalk on this webpage). You need to plan for at least 6 months training.

It brings people together AND is for a good cause AND can do with support online (donations).

--------------------
blog with rambling Snowballs

Posts: 104 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately just missed the UK one! The results are posted here! . However if there are more takers than just me I may well be persuaded to have a go in 2008.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both Grits and Tubbs had great ideas earlier. By Grits donate socks to the homeless. And by Tubbs donate to the local charity shop.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I already regularly donate to the charity shops and buy things (particularly books, which they get back again) from them and was rather hoping to find something we could set up as a meet - like several of the Make Poverty History or Climate Change rallies that I didn't discuss on here, although I was trying to find people to go along with, and would have been fun to meet up at and then go on for a drink or meal or both.

I've just looked to see if there was anything to get involved in during August and found this Fairtrade Foundation event on 29th September in London. There are other events around the UK here

There is also the Christian Aid Cut the Carbon March around the UK, happening now, which started in Belfast on 14th July and finishes in London on Tuesday 2nd October, followed by a service at St Paul's.

We already have a church event to promote Fair Trade in August - but we all could - Tear Fund have this pack to take into churches.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Next suggestions* for action in August are supporting one of the fundraising efforts for flood relief, either the Red Cross Flood appeal or the The Church Urban Fund Flood Disaster Appeal, which I guess ties up with the Marine appeals, as the inland Coastguard were heavily involved.

PS Did anyone else get a nice e-mail from the Food Bank? Mine was saying that there was nothing in my area (just to add to the guilt)!

* Given the choice, this is what I do IRL, generate stupid ideas, some of which stick. Although I am not bad at carrying them out either.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I like the idea of doing something for disaster relief.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

Agreed Rugasaw. I think most churches have a disaster relief fund, or one could go through Red Cross (which has the advantage for the Ship of being international). I think I shall donate through the Disciples Week of Compassion - One Great Hour of Sharing.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(The July thing I did was bring "hurricane food" items, and some personal & baby supplies to my church's food bank.

The stuff is there if, God forbid, folks are wandering around dazed and flooded and without power after a big storm --

And if we do well this year and don't get (m)any, then it can be recycled into the general foodstuffs after the season.)

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016