homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Perpetual virginity and vaginal birth
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested to hear your views on this subject.

When I was young we'd be sent off to catechism lessons (dreary weekday evenings spent in an old house, being poorly catechised by a frazzled lay woman) and I remember the virgin birth was described as something like "light passing through a glass."

It's the Catholic understanding that Mary is a virgin before Jesus' birth, during and after, and forever. A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin and Mary is Ever Virgin.

What different ideas do all of you have?

[ 24. July 2013, 06:53: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a Mystery? [Biased]

Most Prots who believe in the virgin birth (some don't of course) don't believe that Mary remained a virgin after the birth of Christ. They cite the 'until' in the verse about Joseph not 'knowing' his wife 'until' after she had conceived by the Holy Spirit and after Christ was born. And they'd cite Christ's 'brethren' of course - his brothers and sisters - traditionally taken to be close relatives but not siblings - as being later progeny from the union of Mary and Joseph.

Some Protestants have believed that she and Joseph didn't have natural relations even after Christ's birth - some High Church Anglicans believe that (and probably wouldn't count themselves as 'Protestants' though either, come to think of it).

Calvin believed in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary and so did John Wesley.

It isn't necessary, of course, to the Protestant schema for Mary to have remained a virgin so all the catechetical sleights of hand you refer to haven't had to gain currency.

I don't see how - if I can put this as delicately as possible - Mary's vaginal canal had to be kept miraculously intact for her to remain a virgin in the 'knowing a man' sense.

But it ain't an issue I get exercised over. It's one of those 'angels dancing on a pin-head' thing.

I'm happy to accept the virgin birth but I don't pretend to understand it but neither do I see the need to engage in speculation about the Virgin Mary's gynaecological arrangements for the rest of her life.

For a Protestant, I am quite 'Marian' in my approach, though ... despite my low-church/Free Church background.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:

When I was young we'd be sent off to catechism lessons (dreary weekday evenings spent in an old house, being poorly catechised by a frazzled lay woman) and I remember the virgin birth was described as something like "light passing through a glass."

It's the Catholic understanding that Mary is a virgin before Jesus' birth, during and after, and forever. A woman that gives birth naturally is not a virgin and Mary is Ever Virgin.

What different ideas do all of you have?

My belief is what you have described here. Blessed Jerome wrote concerning the perpetual virginity of the Theotokos.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3007.htm

[ 30. April 2013, 19:26: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
loggat - it's one differences that unites us.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have a strong opinion on the matter but as far as I was aware jesus had siblings which would perpetual virginity difficult. I'm sure others will have an explanation for that, I just haven't looked into the matter.

More interesting for me is what this doctrine is for, how it came about and how necessary do people consider it to be?

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC Calvin didn't express an opinion one way or the other, but he did note that it was impossible to disprove Mary's perpetual virginity from Scripture. Luther & Zwingli both affirmed her perpetual virginity, though.

With regard to the brothers mentioned in the Gospels, the usual explanation is that the word "adelphoi" (translated as "brothers" in most English Bibles) can also refer to any male relative in the same generation--therefore, adelphoi might be cousins and not brothers. Alternatively, the brothers might be Joseph's children from a previous marriage.

FWIW, I believe in her perpetual virginity, but don't consider it a first-tier issue. The RCC disagrees, I believe.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Blessed Jerome had a few issues, it seems to me. How did he know whether or not midwives assisted Mary at the birth? Scripture is silent on the subject. 'Women's officiousness' indeed. [Roll Eyes] I have to admit, the Herovidius guy has my sympathies. I detect spin ...

Gamaliel is right about the technicalities. A virgin is a person who has not had penetrative sex - the traditional understanding, anyway! A woman's hymen can break but she can still be a virgin. So yes, a vaginal birth was perfectly possible for the mother of our Lord. How else would Jesus have been born - ??

I do believe in the virginity of Mary at the point of conception. The conception of Jesus is special, yes. I don't believe in her perpetual virginity though - it doesn't fit the textual evidence of Scripture and it doesn't fit a more earthy and Jewish understanding of the marriage of Mary and Joseph.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:

More interesting for me is what this doctrine is for, how it came about and how necessary do people consider it to be?

To me this teaching reminds us of Mary's unique role in salvation history as the spouse of the Holy Spirit (Jesus is conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit after all) and the fact she is pure and undefiled - her virginity is a sign of that.

According to Catholic typology, Mary is associated with the Ark of the Covenant (she is the New Ark, overshadowed by the Spirit and becomes the living shrine of the Word of God) - "just as the same cloud, as a sign of the divine mystery present in the midst of Israel, hovered over the Ark of the Covenant (cf. Ex 40:35), so now the shadow of the Most High envelops and penetrates the tabernacle of the New Covenant that is the womb of Mary (cf. Lk 1:35)".* It would also tie in with the Catholic dogma of the Immaculate Conception.

*Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People, The Shrine: Memory, Presence and Prophecy of the Living God

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that Calvin thought it - do you have a reference for that Gamaliel?

I think that perpertual virginity doesn't appear early enough in the patristic literature to be credible as a historical detail - it looks to me more like a pious legend to fit with later theological significance.

It also raises questions about Mary as being a role model for us - the Bible's picture of marriage tends to see sex as an important part of it. The idea smacks more of the later corruption of Christianity by neoPlatonism that saw the body, especially sex, as bad.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I can sum up my congregations stance

"You do not talk about lady in this way and Our Lady is definitely a lady!"

It seems to me a prurient interest. What on earth does it matter what the relationships between Joseph and Mary were after Jesus' birth.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

It seems to me a prurient interest. What on earth does it matter what the relationships between Joseph and Mary were after Jesus' birth.

Jengie

I would say that her perpetual virginity points to Christ. In her womb contained the One whom the whole world cannot contain, God. her womb was sanctified by our Lord's presence. To use a similitude, once a chalice has been consecrated as the vessel of our Lord's blood in the Eucharist it is no longer a common drinking vessel and it would be a sacrilege to use it as such.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the "Immaculate Conception." Rome's latest heresy.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

I would say that her perpetual virginity points to Christ. In her womb contained the One whom the whole world cannot contain, God. her womb was sanctified by our Lord's presence. To use a similitude, once a chalice has been consecrated as the vessel of our Lord's blood in the Eucharist it is no longer a common drinking vessel and it would be a sacrilege to use it as such.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sooooooo, if the Holy Spirit is Mary's husband and Jesus' father who is the Father in relation to the Son of Man?

The Holy Spirit, which, Who proceeds from the Father has always seemed analogous to sperm here.

As for a high regard for Mary, as C.S. Lewis put it, DON'T dis a chap's mother.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard
It also raises questions about Mary as being a role model for us - the Bible's picture of marriage tends to see sex as an important part of it. The idea smacks more of the later corruption of Christianity by neoPlatonism that saw the body, especially sex, as bad.

Good point.

If Mary was perpetually a virgin, then it makes a mockery of Catholic teaching about the family. The "holy family" becomes a terrible example of marital and procreative irresponsibility.

Your point about neoPlatonism is spot on. So much Christian theology has been infected by Greek philosophy, instead of drawing on its Jewish roots. This is one example.

quote:
Originally posted by loggats
To me this teaching reminds us of Mary's unique role in salvation history as the spouse of the Holy Spirit (Jesus is conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit after all) and the fact she is pure and undefiled - her virginity is a sign of that.

That is what you say.

The Bible, however, says: "marriage is honourable among all and the bed undefiled". (Hebrews 13:4).

Therefore sex within marriage is not dirty, impure or defiled.

In other words, Mary could have had sex with her husband Joseph as much as she liked, and it would not have defiled her, because God says that the marriage bed is undefiled. I don't know how much clearer the text could be, quite frankly.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there is the infancy gospel of James.

You might be interested in reading Chapters 19 and 20.

To Protestant eyes it has a "myths and legends" feel to it, but it is generally dated to the 2nd century (i.e. well before the Ecumenical Councils confirmed Mary as "Theotokos"). So it is evidence of a very early belief that Jesus was born miraculously and that Mary was still a virgin immediately after his birth.

It plays a part in the Traditions of both Orthodox and Catholics.

Not sure what Jengie's congo would make of Salome's test ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by loggats

Eh?

Then how did the baby Jesus get out?

I'm tempted to say does it matter but since it clearly does to some of you...

A virgin is someone who has not had full sexual intercourse - male or female.

In certain parts of the world this is deemed to be vaginal sex only so anal sex is seen as being OK.

In other parts of the world oral sex is not considered "real" sex - q.v. Bill Clinton "I did not have sex with that woman, err, Miss Lewinsky".

The most widespread view is that virginity means a person has not had full penetrative sex to male ejaculation.

I cannot think of any literature that states that vaginal delivery renders someone a non-virgin.

Legally it is a grey area - see the (in)famous Russell/Ampthill Baby case which, although about a conception, did lead after further consideration by the House of Lords Privileges Committee, to a ruling that the 4th baron Ampthill, Geoffrey Russell, had a virgin birth.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard

Good point.

If Mary was perpetually a virgin, then it makes a mockery of Catholic teaching about the family. The "holy family" becomes a terrible example of marital and procreative irresponsibility.

Your point about neoPlatonism is spot on. So much Christian theology has been infected by Greek philosophy, instead of drawing on its Jewish roots. This is one example.

quote:

That is what you say.

The Bible, however, says: "marriage is honourable among all and the bed undefiled". (Hebrews 13:4).

Therefore sex within marriage is not dirty, impure or defiled.

In other words, Mary could have had sex with her husband Joseph as much as she liked, and it would not have defiled her, because God says that the marriage bed is undefiled. I don't know how much clearer the text could be, quite frankly.

I think this comes down to Mary as a unique creature, unlike any other woman in the world. St Louis de Montfort describes it beautifully (though the translation goes in for a bit of purple prose - try not to have an apoplectic fit if you bother reading this, it's about as Marian as you can get even for a Catholic saint):

"There is not and there will never be, either in God's creation or in His mind, a creature in whom He is so honoured as in the most Blessed Virgin Mary....

Mary is God's garden of Paradise, His own unspeakable world, into which His Son entered to do wonderful things, to tend it and to take His delight in it. He created a world for the wayfarer, that is, the one we are living in. He created a second world - Paradise - for the Blessed. He created a third for Himself, which He named Mary.

She is a world unknown to most mortals here on earth. Even the angels and saints in heaven find her incomprehensible, and are lost in admiration of a God who is so exalted and so far above them, so distant from them, and so enclosed in Mary, His chosen world, that they exclaim: "Holy, holy, holy" unceasingly."

[Biased]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How funny, I was just thinking about the Perpetual Virginity today (I was in Westminster Cathedral). Anyway, Christianity has absorbed pagan - particularly Ancient Greek - views on virginity which did not apply to Judaism, and still don't. Indeed, the Jews were unusual amongst ancient religions in not having consecrated virgins and considering marriage and having a family to be holier than virginity.

Virginity being seen as 'pure' is a Greek idea, not a Hebrew one and so would have been utterly alien to Mary. For Mary it would have been natural and indeed holy to have children with her husband after having Jesus. Having sex is a mitzvot/commandment for Jewish couples.

Also, if Mary had not had a regular vaginal birth she would not have needed to be purified and offer a sacrifice at the Temple, which we know she did.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
How funny, I was just thinking about the Perpetual Virginity today (I was in Westminster Cathedral). Anyway, Christianity has absorbed pagan - particularly Ancient Greek - views on virginity which did not apply to Judaism, and still don't. Indeed, the Jews were unusual amongst ancient religions in not having consecrated virgins and considering marriage and having a family to be holier than virginity.

Virginity being seen as 'pure' is a Greek idea, not a Hebrew one and so would have been utterly alien to Mary. For Mary it would have been natural and indeed holy to have children with her husband after having Jesus. Having sex is a mitzvot/commandment for Jewish couples.

Also, if Mary had not had a regular vaginal birth she would not have needed to be purified and offer a sacrifice at the Temple, which we know she did.

That bit about there being no concept of sacred virginity in Judaism isn't correct:

In the Mishnah, it is recorded that there were 82 consecrated virgins who wove the veil of the Temple:

"The veil of the Temple was a palm-length in width. It was woven with seventy-two smooth stitches each made of twenty-four threads. The length was of forty cubits and the width of twenty cubits. Eighty-two virgins wove it. Two veils were made each year and three hundred priests were needed to carry it to the pool" (Mishna Shekalim 8, 5-6).

We find another reference to the "women who made the veils for the Temple...baked the showbread...prepared the incense" (Babylonian Talmud Kethuboth 106a).

Rabbinic Jewish sources also record how when the Romans sacked Jerusalem in AD 70, the Temple virgins leapt into the flames so as not to be abducted by the heathen soldiers: "the virgins who were weaving threw themselves in the flames" (Pesikta Rabbati 26, 6).

(full article is here)

[ 01. May 2013, 00:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole question of perpetual virginity, vaginal delivery, whether or not the BVM herself was an immaculate conception, etc, etc are irrelevant.

Worse, this idea of just ONE woman EVER who is without sin has been responsible for immense harm being done to women down the centuries.

And it misses the point entirely: the important thing about Mary is not her virginity, it is her humanity.

The description of her in the gospels as "virgin" is not to impress upon us her purity, it is to stress her unimportance - she was too young to wield any power on her own (don't forget, by being responsible for handing on the religion women are powerful in Judaism).

The Church's subsequent preoccupation with her "virginity" has missed the point entirely - and later mad additions, such as the assumption, have only added another layer of unnecessary bilge.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

quote:

That bit about there being no concept of sacred virginity in Judaism isn't correct:

In the Mishnah, it is recorded that there were 82 consecrated virgins who wove the veil of the Temple:

"The veil of the Temple was a palm-length in width. It was woven with seventy-two smooth stitches each made of twenty-four threads. The length was of forty cubits and the width of twenty cubits. Eighty-two virgins wove it. Two veils were made each year and three hundred priests were needed to carry it to the pool" (Mishna Shekalim 8, 5-6).

We find another reference to the "women who made the veils for the Temple...baked the showbread...prepared the incense" (Babylonian Talmud Kethuboth 106a).

Rabbinic Jewish sources also record how when the Romans sacked Jerusalem in AD 70, the Temple virgins leapt into the flames so as not to be abducted by the heathen soldiers: "the virgins who were weaving threw themselves in the flames" (Pesikta Rabbati 26, 6).

(full article is here)

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

Seems like the Church's focus on her virginity (and the virginity of women) was itself empowering. She is pure, powerful and has a depth of identity independent of her relationship with a husband.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by loggats
Seems like the Church's focus on her virginity (and the virginity of women) was itself empowering. She is pure, powerful and has a depth of identity independent of her relationship with a husband.

What utter bullshit.

The Church's focus on Mary's virginity, far from being empowering, has been a means of exerting control over women - ALL women.

This obssession with virginity AND motherhood is toxic, which would be bad enough, but its also schizoid because the message it sends out is
  • Mary was/is the most acceptable example of womanhood
  • she holds that position because she was a virgin and remained a virgin
  • qed virginity is the most highly prized quality for women - virgins = 1st class, non-virgins = 2nd class
  • but Mary was also a mother - so women must also be mothers
  • but to become a mother a woman must have sex which will make her a non-virgin
  • moreover sex is dirty and shameful
  • so women who are virgins and not mothers are not 1st class women because they are barren
  • and women who are mothers have had sex so can't be virgins and so are 2nd class

As Lavinia Byrne said - you know women are in trouble when the pope mentions women and the Virgin Mary in the same sentence. For "pope" substitute "church" and you have the right picture.

What's this "depth of identity" - where are you finding that, pray? The Bible tells us virtually nothing about her - and some of the things that are there (like the fact that Jesus had brothers and, possibly, sisters) are swept under the carpet because they don't fit into the male-obssessive "eternal virgin" theory. Moreover, just to make sure that we all focus on the girl Mary her husband has been written out of the picture almost entirely.

WOMEN are grown-up people who can be equal partners in relationships where no one party holds power over the other.

GIRLS are children who, because of their immaturity, need nurturing and protecting and sheltering from some of the harsher realities of life.

The mad insistence that Mary is "ever Virgin" means she is always a girl - in other words she never grows up. By "elevating" Mary you invented Petra Pan almost 2 millennia before Barrie was born.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

That's a lot of ranting to get through - but I disagree with this mischaracterisation particularly, where "virginity is the most highly prized quality for women - virgins = 1st class, non-virgins = 2nd class".

The gift of chastity is a highly prized virtue for men and women in whatever state of life. It's a constituent of our life as Christians, and virginity is a part of that.

(re. the whole adelphos/adelphoi thing being used to somehow prove that Christ had siblings... just meh.)

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

But you don't call her "Chaste Mary" you describe her as "Virgin". Its the church that has battered on and on about virginity.

If you look at my earlier post (sandwiched neatly between some of your multiple posts, WTF is up with things this evening?) you will see that I'm not saying that Mary wasn't/isn't special but that in stressing the virginity thing the church has missed the point entirely.

So I'll reiterate:

..."the important thing about Mary is not her virginity, it is her humanity."

And may I remind that it was YOU who posted the original thread linking vaginal delivery, virginity and the virgin Mary - which was why I asked how on earth you thought Christ was born. I'd still like to know - or have I missed yet another Vatican invention that tells the world that Jesus was somehow "borned"??? [Ultra confused]

Moreover I'm not "ranting" - at the head of this thread you said
quote:
So I've given you my views: I think the emphasis on virginity has done great harm to women and girls down the centuries and I think harm is still being done. I think that it has skewed the way that women are viewed and treated. The focus on virginity has presented an infantilised image of Mary which has, in turn, been translated into attempts - all too frequently successful - to infantilise all women.

You asked for views and I've given you mine. If you don't like them too bad - you did ask.

--------------------

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

I do appreciate that you've shared your views, and I do disagree with some of them.

Especially the way you're making it seem like Mary's virginity is somehow more important than her humanity - in the context of this thread sure it is, but that doesn't hold true across the board. I posted something from Montfort (a dozen duplicated posts ago) where he (goes on and on) about Mary's unique relationship with God and the importance of that to us and our relationship with her because she is a creature just like we are - her very humanity.

The fact she is ever virgin adds another dimension to that mystery.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
quote:
posted by loggats
Seems like the Church's focus on her virginity (and the virginity of women) was itself empowering. She is pure, powerful and has a depth of identity independennt of her relationship with a husband.

What utter bullshit.

The Church's focus on Mary's virginity, far from being empowering, has been a means of exerting control over women - ALL women.

This obssession with virginity AND motherhood is toxic, which would be bad enough, but its also schizoid because the message it sends out is
  • Mary was/is the most acceptable example of womanhood
  • she holds that position because she was a virgin and remained a virgin
  • qed virginity is the most highly prized quality for women - virgins = 1st class, non-virgins = 2nd class
  • but Mary was also a mother - so women must also be mothers
  • but to become a mother a woman must have sex which will make her a non-virgin
  • moreover sex is dirty and shameful
  • so women who are virgins and not mothers are not 1st class women because they are barren
  • and women who are mothers have had sex so can't be virgins and so are 2nd class

As Lavinia Byrne said - you know women are in trouble when the pope mentions women and the Virgin Mary in the same sentence. For "pope" substitute "church" and you have the right picture.

What's this "depth of identity" - where are you finding that, pray? The Bible tells us virtually nothing about her - and some of the things that are there (like the fact that Jesus had brothers and, possibly, sisters) are swept under the carpet because they don't fit into the male-obssessive "eternal virgin" theory. Moreover, just to make sure that we all focus on the girl Mary her husband has been written out of the picture almost entirely.

WOMEN are grown-up people who can be equal partners in relationships where no one party holds power over the other.

GIRLS are children who, because of their immaturity, need nurturing and protecting and sheltering from some of the harsher realities of life.

The mad insistence that Mary is "ever Virgin" means she is always a girl - in other words she never grows up. By "elevating" Mary you invented Petra Pan almost 2 millennia before Barrie was born.

Typical feminista bullshit.
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[

None of the original sources seem to indicate that the virgins were consecrated in any way and one has to be careful of reading in more than is there (for instance do the words mean 'virgin' or 'young woman'[1]). Any unmarried Jewish women would be expected to remain virgin until marriage. It would seem reasonable that the women referred to would be the unmarried daughters of the priests who with their families would have lived near the temple or possibly even in the temple complex. As young women and not burdened with nursing children or running a household, they would be available for the necessary and laborious job of making cloth (spinning, weaving, turning it into clothing and other uses) both for their families and for what their fathers were responsible, the Temple. Note that in English the term 'spinster' (someone who spins) was used for unmarried women indicating what at one time in English culture would have been a major occupation of unmarried women. Once the daughters had been married off and had children, they would have far less time for large scale spinning/weaving projects.

[1] Apparently in Mishnah Shekalim 8:5 the '82 damsels' making the veil could also be '82 times 10,000' and refer to the value of the veil or the numbers of threads or the total number of weavers (the same passage also says it took several hundred priests to immerse it so seems given to a bit of hyperbole). I think I would want to see a scholarly work on the passage by someone who knows the language it was written in before saying what it means.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are you equating "virgin" with "intact hymen"? Because those aren't the same thing. A virgin can most certainly give birth vaginally and remain virgin - in fact, it's likely that a non-zero number of lesbians have done exactly that.

As for the rest, I see no need whatsoever to speculate on the state of Our Lady's hymen.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For Mary it would have been natural and indeed holy to have children with her husband after having Jesus. Having sex is a mitzvot/commandment for Jewish couples.

My understanding is that Jews consider that a commandment was given to go and have children, but it was only given to men, not women. Among Orthodox Jews this leads to the slightly odd position whereby it is licit for a woman to use contraceptives, but not for a man.

ETA: On the Catholic / Orthodox Christian view, Joseph had already fulfilled the commandment, because Jesus' siblings were Joseph's children from a previous marriage. Therefore it was licit for him to abstain from relations with Mary.

[ 01. May 2013, 06:50: Message edited by: Ricardus ]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That seems to be obviously false unless you also think that the celibate clergy, including the College of Cardinals and the Pope, are always 'boys' not men by virtue of supposedly being virgins.

(I have no idea how many of these individuals are actually virgins and have no wish to know, but if they had always been faithful to Catholic teaching then they would be.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Ah, the "Immaculate Conception." Rome's latest heresy.

SPK Get it right, the immaculate conception is the doctrine that Mary was conceived by her parents Joachim and Anna without sin. Apparently they got no pleasure from the sex when she was conceived. I am not sure how we could possibly know this.

Really this interest in what goes on in the bedroom is ludicrous in many ways.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Are you equating "virgin" with "intact hymen"? Because those aren't the same thing. A virgin can most certainly give birth vaginally and remain virgin - in fact, it's likely that a non-zero number of lesbians have done exactly that.

While this may be true as a matter of medical fact known today, it's anachronistic thinking. One of the most unpleasant chapters in Deuteronomy (Chapter 22) makes it clear that the acid test of a young woman's virginity was that the hymen was unbroken up to the time of a marriage. (Have a look at Deut 22:13-20 here in the CEV version.. A girl could get stoned to death if she did bleed on her wedding night. The husband just got fined for a a false accusation but the "good news" for the girl was that he could not divorce her)

You can see the impact of such draconian views in Matthew 1 (19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.) and it is the whole point of the Salome incident in the infancy gospel of James. Proof of the intact hymen was the acid test then, whatever we know now to be true.

(No wish to raise the Dead Horse here, but there really is no point in knocking feminists about this stuff in the tradition. It relates to an age when women were property to be bartered for marriage via a dowry. So a non-virgin bride was regarded as "damaged goods". The feminists are quite right to be severely critical of such patriarchal attitudes and also to ask questions about the extent to which these ancient traditions affect the way people think today. And on that issue my sympathies are entirely with them).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So a girl doesn't really become a woman until she gets fucked. And you think the perpetual virginity of Mary is demeaning to women?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What comes over to me is that if you tell centuries of celibate men that the only woman they can lawfully think about is the Virgin Mary, you get some weird stuff.

[ 01. May 2013, 08:31: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

While this may be true as a matter of medical fact known today, it's anachronistic thinking. <snip>
But Barnabus, the subject of the discussion has been brought by a modern person who does know that a woman may have a broken hymen without having had intercourse. Such a woman is still a virgin. The Incarnation is enough of a miracle without clinging to the belief in a miraculously intact hymen. Having a hymen after the birth of Jesus wouldn't make Mary any more a virgin than she already was.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
What comes over to me is that if you tell centuries of celibate men that the only woman they can lawfully think about is the Virgin Mary, you get some weird stuff.

I think this is pretty much the crux of it - along with it apparently being up to men to decide the value of a woman. Also there's the problem of Mary's cult being built around existing goddess cults, not the woman herself.

Agreed with most of what L'organise says except for virginity = child, because plenty of adults are virgins and plenty of children (sadly) are not virgins. Indeed, Mary quite possibly WAS a child in terms of age when she had Jesus, at least in modern terms.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the second time I will ask the question about Hebrews 13:4:

quote:
Marriage is honourable among all and the bed undefiled...
This is the answer I got from loggats:

quote:
I think this comes down to Mary as a unique creature, unlike any other woman in the world. St Louis de Montfort describes it beautifully (though the translation goes in for a bit of purple prose - try not to have an apoplectic fit if you bother reading this, it's about as Marian as you can get even for a Catholic saint):

"There is not and there will never be, either in God's creation or in His mind, a creature in whom He is so honoured as in the most Blessed Virgin Mary....

Mary is God's garden of Paradise, His own unspeakable world, into which His Son entered to do wonderful things, to tend it and to take His delight in it. He created a world for the wayfarer, that is, the one we are living in. He created a second world - Paradise - for the Blessed. He created a third for Himself, which He named Mary.

She is a world unknown to most mortals here on earth. Even the angels and saints in heaven find her incomprehensible, and are lost in admiration of a God who is so exalted and so far above them, so distant from them, and so enclosed in Mary, His chosen world, that they exclaim: "Holy, holy, holy" unceasingly."

Now, loggats, if you didn't market yourself here as a Catholic, I'd be sorely tempted to think that you quoted this to take the piss out of Mariology.

Not only did you fail spectacularly to address the point I raised, but you didn't even present a logical argument at all. All this is pure speculation, without, of course, the slightest biblical evidential support. In fact, the claim isn't even internally coherent, because it suggests some kind of obsessive need in God, that implies that there is something lacking in the eternal relationships of the trinity, which could only be fulfilled by a creature, namely, Mary.

quote:
She is pure, powerful and has a depth of identity independent of her relationship with a husband.

So you're suggesting that Mary would be impure if she had sex with her husband?

Again, how does that cohere with Hebrews 13:4?

It's pretty obvious that the concept of the perpetual virginity of Mary has exposed a deep contradiction at the heart of Catholic theology. Procreation (therefore sex) is encouraged in marriage:

quote:
1652 "By its very nature the institution of marriage and married love is ordered to the procreation and education of the offspring and it is in them that it finds its crowning glory."

Children are the supreme gift of marriage and contribute greatly to the good of the parents themselves. God himself said: "It is not good that man should be alone," and "from the beginning (he) made them male and female"; wishing to associate them in a special way in his own creative work, God blessed man and woman with the words: "Be fruitful and multiply." Hence, true married love and the whole structure of family life which results from it, without diminishment of the other ends of marriage, are directed to disposing the spouses to cooperate valiantly with the love of the Creator and Savior, who through them will increase and enrich his family from day to day.

(From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Article 7, section 5. Emphasis mine).

And yet, according to Catholic thinking, the "holy family" sets us an example that completely undermines this understanding of marriage. The doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary implies that lawful sex is somehow 'dirty' (contrary to Holy Scripture and blaspheming the Creator of sex), that the sexual aspect of God's creative activity is inferior, and that a marriage that God demands should never be consummated is not only normal, but the supreme example of godliness.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that the RCC teaches that non-consummation of marriage is grounds for an annulment, a belief in Mary's perpetual virgnity raises all sorts of questions about the RCC's attitude toward the validity of Joseph and Mary's marriage.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, I do think this is one of those areas where Rome has taken things too far. There are others.

The problem is, once you set up a belief or a hypothesis the temptation is then to go out and look for acid-test proofs ... hence, as Barnabas has reminded us, the story of the post-natal attempt to test that Mary's hymen was intact and the way that the midwife's hand withered in the attempt ...

It's clearly a pious legend concocted to account for something that people felt need to be accounted for.

I would suggest that the Immaculate Conception is an example of the same thing - in that case, though, a projection back before Mary's birth to make it possible for her to be conceived without sin. It's interesting that the Orthodox, who are equally as Marian in their approach as the RCs, don't see the need for that one ... although they do have pious legends about Mary being brought up in the Temple and so on.

Rome tends to over-egg things. The juridical Latin mind has to tie up all loose ends. Hence it concocts ends to tie up where there is no need to.

I'm not sure that EE is on the right track banging on about the sex issue ... I'm sure we could find plenty of RC families and couples with a very wholesome and balanced view of these issues. I think many RCs would concede that their Church's teaching and attitude towards human sexuality hasn't always been as helpful as it might be. That said, one could also point towards some RC teachings and attitudes towards sexuality as providing counter-cultural ballast against hedonism and promiscuity. There's a balance.

Personally, I think the RC view does need adjusting - and I know it's a different issue but clerical marriage would play a part in steadying/normalising their approach - as it has done in other churches.

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I find that quote from St Louis de Montfort rather beautiful. [Smile] I find Mariology fascinating, on several counts. [Cool]

However, I reject its excesses, and the way it seems to turn Mary into some kind of super-human. Unfortunately though, Protestantism has reacted too far in the other direction. Mary was an amazing woman, an amazing saint, an amazing disciple. It is sad that so many Protestants ignore her. [Frown]

So then: when it comes to the miraculous conception of Jesus, I am on the same page as the Catholics and the Orthodox.

But as an evangelical Protestant, I have no difficulty believing that Mary and St. Joseph likely had a perfectly normal Jewish marriage after Jesus was born.

It is NOT disrespecting the Blessed Mother to believe this. I must make that very clear. Neither is it disrespecting her to believe - as I have done practically all my Christian life - that Jesus was born just like any other human baby. That is the wonder and the shock of the Incarnation. Yes, it is shocking. But God becoming Man is shocking.

When it comes to patriarchal attitudes to women, I am grateful to feminism for raising the issues.

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
I'm not sure that EE is on the right track banging on about the sex issue...

No, I suppose the concept of virginity (and the claim that Mary could only be 'pure' if a perpetual virgin) has nothing to do with sex!

Sheesh!

[brick wall]

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Laurelin
But as an evangelical Protestant, I have no difficulty believing that Mary and St. Joseph likely had a perfectly normal Jewish marriage after Jesus was born.

It is NOT disrespecting the Blessed Mother to believe this. I must make that very clear. Neither is it disrespecting her to believe - as I have done practically all my Christian life - that Jesus was born just like any other human baby. That is the wonder and the shock of the Incarnation. Yes, it is shocking. But God becoming Man is shocking.

I agree.

The deep-seated contempt for all that the incarnation implies is typical of neo-Platonism, and its theological offshoots.

[ 01. May 2013, 10:07: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
While this may be true as a matter of medical fact known today, it's anachronistic thinking.

I have a feeling that awareness of this fact was pretty widespread in the Olden Days. There's a in the Travels where Marco Polo describes one country where the unmarried women always walk with very short steps for fear of accidentally tearing their hymens, which is contrasted to another country where women lead such active lives that no-one expects them to preserve their hymens intact.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

AO / Ricardus / mousethief

As I addressed loggats earlier
quote:
You asked for views and I've given you mine. If you don't like them too bad - you did ask.
He didn't ask whether we agreed with him or each other, just sought our views.

He has given his view, I've given him mine: you may not agree - I'm relaxed about that.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... And it misses the point entirely: the important thing about Mary is not her virginity, it is her humanity.

The description of her in the gospels as "virgin" is not to impress upon us her purity, it is to stress her unimportance - she was too young to wield any power on her own (don't forget, by being responsible for handing on the religion women are powerful in Judaism).

The Church's subsequent preoccupation with her "virginity" has missed the point entirely - and later mad additions, such as the assumption, have only added another layer of unnecessary bilge.

Sorry. No. The importance of Mary's virginity is that Jesus is both Son of God and Son of Man. So Mary is his mother and his father is God, not Joseph and not some other mystery person. That is why it matters that she was a virgin at the time of the Annunciation, and up to the moment of Jesus's birth. It is also why it is a matter of pointless speculation and no theological significance whether Jesus's delivery tore her hymen or not.

It is also why it is a matter of legitimate debate, but probably not that important, whether Jesus's brothers and sisters were also children of Mary, children of a previous wife of Joseph's or some other relative. An issue that follows from this, is whether it means 'James the brother of the Lord' must have been younger or quite a bit older than Jesus and how this affects chronology in the early church.

I've never heard the suggestion that Jesus's actual birth was in some way unnatural "something like 'light passing through a glass.'" That sounds, if anything, more like someone trying to explain the Holy Spirit's overshadowing and Jesus's conception. I have heard it argued that because it was the reversing of the curse of Eve, the delivery must have been relatively painless. However, I do not know, and I do not really think anyone else can legitimately claim to.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair call, EE, what I meant, of course, was that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that all Catholics must necessarily have hang-ups about sex on account of RC teaching of the Perpetual Virginity of the BVM.

I didn't express myself very well.

What I objected to was your proof-texting from Hebrews about the marriage bed being pure when the RC Church would be very aware of that verse and its implications and have their own way/s of working that out in practice.

I've done the evangelical proof-texting with Catholics before now and got the well-deserved response of [Roll Eyes] 'Goodness me, as if we'd never noticed that before ...'

It's the clerical celibacy thing. I've beaten RCs over the head before now about Peter being married and some of the 'other apostles' being married as if somehow they'd managed to mysteriously overlook that in their Bibles for the last millenium and a half or whatever. Of course they're aware of these things.

I think there is an element of 'projection' going on here - these guys stress virginity, they must have a hang up about sex ...

Sure, there's neo-platonism in there and a lot else besides and I'm sure there's been a huge amount of collateral damage down the years as a result of that.

Even as a Protestant, though, I could accept the traditional view that Mary remained a virgin after the birth of Christ and that the 'brethren' mentioned were male cousins or other close relatives or even children from a previous marriage that Joseph may have had - but we don't know and can never know. All we have are the scriptures and tradition/Tradition to go on.

It doesn't affect things one way or another, as far as I can see, whether Mary and Joseph had a 'normal' marriage after that - although early accounts would suggest otherwise - or whether they didn't. It certainly raises a few questions if they didn't, such as the consummation thing that Kaplan's mentioned, but I don't see it as a deal-breaker either way.

Nor do I see the need for mysterious 'passing as light through glass' speculation as this seems to underplay the Incarnation rather than support it ... if we're going to have a literal Incarnation then surely we're going to have a literal birth along a literal birth canal. I don't see why we have to have speculation about a miraculous passage along the birth canal.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
But Barnabus, the subject of the discussion has been brought by a modern person who does know that a woman may have a broken hymen without having had intercourse. Such a woman is still a virgin. The Incarnation is enough of a miracle without clinging to the belief in a miraculously intact hymen. Having a hymen after the birth of Jesus wouldn't make Mary any more a virgin than she already was.

I know that, you know that and (thanks, Ricardus) I suspect it has always been quite common knowledge amongst women. The historical ignorance and patriarchal presuppositions of men have to be taken into account when weighing scripture and tradition about this issue (and many others).

The fact that the "test of Salome" would in fact prove nothing for sure was not known to the author of the infancy gospel. The social importance of the intact hymen was undoubtedly known. I think that sort of thinking helps us to understand better these documents, and the notions behind them.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel
What I objected to was your proof-texting from Hebrews about the marriage bed being pure when the RC Church would be very aware of that verse and its implications and have their own way/s of working that out in practice.

I've done the evangelical proof-texting with Catholics before now and got the well-deserved response of 'Goodness me, as if we'd never noticed that before ...'

Another pointless put down, that completely misses the point.

The accusation of "evangelical proof-texting" is just a device to avoid a legitimate discussion. It is not unreasonable to refer to the Bible and request a response from those who claim to uphold Scripture. It is tiresome that any such reference is dismissed as "proof-texting" along with "bad exegesis". Unless they are backed up with proper reasoning, all these are just forms of the ad hominem fallacy, which are, of course, attempts to avoid facing the issue.

If Catholics claim that they have noticed this verse - as, of course, most of them probably have - then good. They can then let us all know their interpretation, so that we can see whether it actually makes any sense.

Not a lot to ask, is it?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016