homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Grace, Legalism, and Christian Conduct (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Grace, Legalism, and Christian Conduct
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm screwed. [Frown]

I guess it can't hurt asking Mary to put in a good word then? [Angel]
If we are to be judged on our deeds then how would that help?
Because praying to Mary is a deed?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon Cheng:
I believe it is absolutely true that we will be judged accoring to what we have done. That is why I am so thankful that not only am I judged, but I am completely forgiven for all by trusting in the work of Jesus completed at the cross.

I understand how you have this idea from Paul, but where does Jesus teach it?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That is why I am so thankful that not only am I judged, but I am completely forgiven for all by trusting in the work of Jesus completed at the cross.

Thus, your entire faith rests on choosing a sense of the word "judgement" against the clear and unequivocal context of multiple passages in scripture? How very - what was the word you used again, ah yes - biblical of you.

quote:
If our names are written in the book of life before the foundation of the world, it follows that our entrance into the Heavenly city can't possibly be because of any decision we've made, or anything we've done, whether good or evil.

And thus your faith furthermore rests on ignoring some basic points about the relation of time to eternity widely appreciated at least since Boethius (AD 524)...

I must remember that "biblical" means "according to scripture interpreted so that it says precisely what I want it to say, no matter how much of a stretch that is". English can be so counter-intuitive at times... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
I believe it is absolutely true that we will be judged accoring to what we have done. That is why I am so thankful that not only am I judged, but I am completely forgiven for all by trusting in the work of Jesus completed at the cross.

Do you mean "but where do the authors of the Synoptic gospels refer to it?"

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
If we are to be judged on our deeds then how would that help?

I'm not sure, but I figure it can't hurt, and I like conversation.

One consequence of my conversations with Gordon is that I understand less and less, and so have to hope more and more. I don't think I live my life as a means to get saved at the end; I think I respond to the encounter thing Zap talks about because Jesus shows me that's what it means to be properly alive, now.

I'm not convinced Torah was presented as a list of instructions on how to be saved either. God saves his people then shows them how to live.

But I really don't understand it. I'm quite reactionary.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There are a number of ideas here, and I'm not sure which one you mean Freddy. The idea that we are judged according to what we've done? The idea that Jesus offers us unconditional forgiveness? The idea that his death was complete and sufficient to bring reconciliation with God?

IngoB, I'm feeling relieved. I had almost understood the last half-dozen of your posts, but I am happy to say you've lost me completely with this last one, so it looks like we're back to business as usual [Smile] . I think I am using judgement in one of the ways that others normally understand it. (definition #7 here). All I'm saying is that it falls on Christ not on us, when we place our trust in him.

As for John the writer of Revelation, are you saying that he shared Boethius' view of the nature of time and eternity (c. 524 AD)? More information please, before we move onto our Celebrity Squares segment...

[ 23. January 2006, 03:33: Message edited by: Gordon Cheng ]

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are a number of ideas here, and I'm not sure which one you mean Freddy. The idea that we are judged according to what we've done? The idea that Jesus offers us unconditional forgiveness? The idea that his death was complete and sufficient to bring reconciliation with God?
The one that says that Jesus offers unconditional forgiveness without repentance and regardless of how we live.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I am using judgement in one of the ways that others normally understand it.

I might have been misreading you there, sorry. Has your final salvation (or lack thereof) anything whatever to do with any part of Jesus' actual judgement of your life in the widest possible sense (including absolutely all your physical, mental and spiritual activities)?

quote:
As for John the writer of Revelation, are you saying that he shared Boethius' view of the nature of time and eternity (c. 524 AD)? More information please, before we move onto our Celebrity Squares segment...

I have no particular clue what John (or whoever else the writer of Revelation was) thought of eternity. I fail to see any significance whatsoever of that. John 1) was inspired (thus in principle able to write way beyond himself) and 2) was not discussing eternity directly here (and I didn't claim so). I was not attacking John, I was attacking your simplistic conclusion from his writings, which lacks any credibility since AD 524 at the latest...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The one that says that Jesus offers unconditional forgiveness without repentance and regardless of how we live.

Oh, OK, ta. But did I say at any point that the offer of unconditional forgiveness occurs without these things? The offer of unconditional forgiveness precedes repentance and changed life, to be sure. But it also anticipates and produces repentance and changed life. If God forgives you unconditionally, you live a different life. IIf he doesn't, you don't.

I don't think Jesus (or Paul for that matter) expected any less than a complete turnaround in the lives of those who accepted God's free offer of forgiveness. I can give plenty of examples of that, but it's not what you're asking, perhaps?

Ingo, I believe that Jesus judges us as complete failures in every area of our moral existence. There are many places in the four gospels where Jesus exposes the failure and hypocrisy of his hearers, both individually and corporately. Those statements by Jesus about what we are like are not just a comment on first century Palestinians and Romans, they are a comment on us as members of humanity. Almost randomly I pick John 2 as an example:

quote:
23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing. 24 But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25 and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.
And this is talking about people who trusted him! How much more does the judgement made here by Jesus apply to the rest of the world.

This judgement by Jesus will be confirmed on the final day of judgement; but for those who have trusted in Jesus' death and resurrection, and received his Holy Spirit, the last word they hear will not be that word of judgement but our Lord's word of pardon and welcome.

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think Jesus (or Paul for that matter) expected any less than a complete turnaround in the lives of those who accepted God's free offer of forgiveness.

"Expected" in the sense of asked for, demanded -- yes. "Expected" in the sense of figured that is what would happen? Hardly. "The very thing I don't want to do, that thing I do."

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
]"Expected" in the sense of asked for, demanded -- yes. "Expected" in the sense of figured that is what would happen? Hardly. "The very thing I don't want to do, that thing I do."

Well for once, I am going to be the one arguing for complexity. Because we live in the overlap of ages—the present evil age, and the age to come—we experience in our bodies the reality of both. "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us". Yet at one and the same time, Paul is able to say: "You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our conduct toward you believers."

He also says, regarding those who responded to his message:

quote:
1 Thessalonians 1:9 "For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come."
I don't believe it's possible to unlock this complexity, this mystery, this side of final judgement.

quote:
Colossians 3:3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Giving up worshipping idols is one thing; becoming perfect is quite another.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Very true. Perfection is something we long for, not something we have already achieved. In the meantime, and as a result, being accounted righteous only through the death of Christ is something I cling to.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's not something we long for, it's something we strive for.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Both/and.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Fairy 'nuff.

--------------------

Gordon Cheng

# 8895

Mate, break out the hymn books. We agreed on something! And, the Beatles are the greatest rock band of this age, or indeed of any age. [Cool]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Mate, break out the hymn books. We agreed on something! And, the Beatles are the greatest rock band of this age, or indeed of any age. [Cool]

2 for 2. [Axe murder]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Ingo, I believe that Jesus judges us as complete failures in every area of our moral existence. There are many places in the four gospels where Jesus exposes the failure and hypocrisy of his hearers, both individually and corporately.

Of course, the former in no way whatsoever follows from the latter, thanks to the crucial word "complete". It seems to be a popular "biblical" strategy, this insertion of words. I'm reminded of the "faith alone" doctrine, which also doesn't occur in scripture other than in being explicitly ruled out (James 2:24)... The "random" lesson of John 2:23-25 is rather that it is not sufficient to only believe in the Lord while He's performing miracles for one's benefit, if one then forgets Him as soon as He stops doing so. Doubting Thomases take note. (And of course it is an affirmation that the Lord knows what is in the hearts of men, which nobody has doubted.)

quote:
This judgement by Jesus will be confirmed on the final day of judgement; but for those who have trusted in Jesus' death and resurrection, and received his Holy Spirit, the last word they hear will not be that word of judgement but our Lord's word of pardon and welcome.

First, you separate "judgement" from any actual consequence. Whatever Jesus may say about your life or not, it doesn't matter for your salvation - which is probably for the best, since you say it will be entirely negative... That's what I was refering to with saying that you use the term "judgement" against both a straightforward reading of scripture context and the common use of the term (both imply that you will be judged according to what you have done, and face the appropriate consequences). Second, you are claiming that Jesus is applying a binary filter to your life: If you have "trusted in Jesus' death and resurrection" then you get pardoned no matter what, else it's straight off to hell. So you buy a gun and start shooting people at random, but since you do trust in Jesus' death and resurrection you are off to heaven? Great. I'm sure you'll get handed 72 raisins when you arrive in "heaven"...

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by IngoB
quote:
And thus your faith furthermore rests on ignoring some basic points about the relation of time to eternity widely appreciated at least since Boethius (AD 524)...
Care to elaborate about the relation of time to eternity appreciated since Boethius? (Separate thread?)
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now I know this is perfectly logical to an Orthodox Christian, but how does it fit for those who believe in a salvation event?

The whole question, "is it faith/grace or is it works?" is completely illogical from an Orthodox POV. I think it's because, for the most part, we see salvation more in medical terms than juridical. The problem isn't that we're guilty; the problem is that we're terribly, terribly sick. It doesn't matter much whether the sickness is congenital, or whether it was brought on by our own foolish actions. In either case, the sickness is destroying us, and we need to be healed.

So we go to the Physician, who provides the medicine to cure us. But he lets us know that the medicine by itself isn't enough. There are things we have to do, too, in order to get better. Exercises we have to do. Unhealthy habits we have to quit. So we follow our Physician's instructions as best we can.

To ask whether it's the doctor that's making us better, or the medicine, or the exercises -- that just doesn't make sense. It's like trying to figure out whether it's the baker that makes the bread rise so light and fluffy, or whether it's the yeast, or the warmth, or the sugar. It's not either/or. Everything works together.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perfection is something we long for, not something we have already achieved. In the meantime, and as a result, being accounted righteous only through the death of Christ is something I cling to.

And the admission that we both long for and strive for perfection.

Can we just clarify again, Gordon, that you believe this?

Because I cannot honestly see any problem with the position as articulated by your and MT's exchange! And if so, then we are on the same page to begin a discussion of what that "striving in longing for perfection", while realising our righteousness is in Christ, might mean...

Are we *finally* getting somewhere?

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
quote:
I'm screwed. [Frown]

I guess it can't hurt asking Mary to put in a good word then? [Angel]
The Virgin praying for the screwed. There's an irony there.
Thanks. And I was beginning to feel better there for a moment. [Biased]

Funny thing is that I agree with Gordon on one big point: the only thing I know to do is trust in Christ. Not because I'm hoping I'll be one of the Elect, but because I know there is nothing I can do that would be good enough. I'm a very limited spirit; in fact, I'm crying at this moment at how limited I am. It's like I'm crying, "Mommy!" to God. There is nothing else, because I've fallen short on so many points. I only hope when Jesus comes in Judgement he comes like this.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love that Icon. I have icons of Steve Biko and MLK jr in similar style. Thanks, LR. And he will.

Now back to the business of theological argument [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Care to elaborate about the relation of time to eternity appreciated since Boethius? (Separate thread?)

Let me cite from
quote:
The Catholic Encyclopedia on "Eternity":
The notion is of special interest in helping us to realize, however, faintly, the relations of God to created things, especially with regard to His foreknowledge. In Him there is no before or after, and therefore no foreknowledge, objectively; the distinction which we are wont to draw between His knowledge of intelligence or science or prescience and His knowledge of vision is merely our way of representing things, natural enough to us, but not by any means objective or real in Him. There is no real objective difference between His intelligence and His vision, not between either of these and the Divine substance in which there is no possibility of difference or change. That infinitely perfect substantial intelligence, immense as it is eternal, and withal existing entire and immutable as an indivisible point in space and as an indivisible instant in time, is coextensive, in the sense of being intimately present, with the space-extension and the time-succession of all creatures; not beside them, nor parallel with them, nor before or after them; but present in and with them, sustaining them, co-operating with them, and therefore seeing -- not foreseeing -- what they may do at any particular point of the space-extension, or at any instant of the time-extension, in which they may exist or operate.

and perhaps to extend the discussion of "foreknowledge", here's St Thomas Aquinas:
quote:
From Summa Theologiae I q14 a13 (re-arranged for easier reading):
Now God knows all contingent things not only as they are in their causes, but also as each one of them is actually in itself. And although contingent things become actual successively, nevertheless God knows contingent things not successively, as they are in their own being, as we do but simultaneously. The reason is because His knowledge is measured by eternity, as is also His being; and eternity being simultaneously whole comprises all time, as said above (Question [10], Article [2]). Hence all things that are in time are present to God from eternity, not only because He has the types of things present within Him, as some say; but because His glance is carried from eternity over all things as they are in their presentiality. Hence it is manifest that contingent things are infallibly known by God, inasmuch as they are subject to the divine sight in their presentiality; yet they are future contingent things in relation to their own causes.

Objection 3: Further, everything known by God must necessarily be, because even what we ourselves know, must necessarily be; and, of course, the knowledge of God is much more certain than ours. But no future contingent things must necessarily be. Therefore no contingent future thing is known by God.

Reply to Objection 3: Things reduced to act in time, as known by us successively in time, but by God (are known) in eternity, which is above time. Whence to us they cannot be certain, forasmuch as we know future contingent things as such; but (they are certain) to God alone, whose understanding is in eternity above time. Just as he who goes along the road, does not see those who come after him; whereas he who sees the whole road from a height, sees at once all travelling by the way. Hence what is known by us must be necessary, even as it is in itself; for what is future contingent in itself, cannot be known by us. Whereas what is known by God must be necessary according to the mode in which they are subject to the divine knowledge, as already stated, but not absolutely as considered in their own causes. Hence also this proposition, "Everything known by God must necessarily be," is usually distinguished; for this may refer to the thing, or to the saying. If it refers to the thing, it is divided and false; for the sense is, "Everything which God knows is necessary." If understood of the saying, it is composite and true; for the sense is, "This proposition, 'that which is known by God is' is necessary."

Basically, if you watch a movie of me doing things, then the fact that you perfectly know from the movie what I'm doing does not change the fact that as I was doing them I was free (not determined) in my acts. Your knowledge now did not force my hand then. We can only imagine this after something has happened - that's because we are time-based creatures. We can only reason - as above - that an eternal being can always do this (so "before" and "while" it happens in our time perspective), but we can't square this reasoning with our own experiential instincts. That doesn't make the reasoning less true though.

quote:
I only hope when Jesus comes in Judgement he comes like this.

With a loony goat? Now, how would that help? [Biased]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It helps if you are the loony goat. [Votive]

[ 23. January 2006, 07:19: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riccardus:
I think the general medium-sized-c catholic* position is that we are supposed to respond to God insofar as we are able to. E.g. at the most basic level everyone is aware of some concept of Good, and since we believe that God=Good, our response to our awareness of good is a kind of response to God.

Fair enough -- but that makes a nonsense of justification by faith, doesn't it? If faith is an expression of God's grace, then how is God's grace expressed in those people with no opportunity for faith? By moral character? Doesn't that take us back to Pelagius?

Why would God leave half the planet wallowing in sin?

Surely it is incumbent on anybody who professes justification by faith (alone) to explain why God's grace is so, well, partial.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GC:
quote:
Well for once, I am going to be the one arguing for complexity.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm screwed.

<sigh> I'm with you there, Lyda Rose!

I honestly can't say I'm any the wiser after all these posts. [Confused]

Think I'll just go on doing my best, talking to God, (even if he doesn't say much) and hoping all will become clear at the end.

[ 23. January 2006, 08:54: Message edited by: Nicodemia ]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pertinent question, methinks, is:

Is God looking for reasons to condemn, or reasons to save?

I think considering this question sheds a certain amount of light.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
A pertinent question, methinks, is:

Is God looking for reasons to condemn, or reasons to save?

I think considering this question sheds a certain amount of light.

Well, if you are of the opinion that God has the ability to choose who to condemn and who to save, then I suggest you go to the Will God allow anyone to go to hell thread, where most of the non-universalists seem to think that the only people who go to hell are people who really want too...

In any case, picturing a God who is looking for an excuse for his judgement is to picture a God who feels the need to somehow justify his judgement, which I would think to be obviously false.

To get back on topic, if both faith and works are our response to God's grace, and if they come as either an entire package (grace+faith+works) or not, then what sense does it make to say that we are saved by faith alone?

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrookedCucumber:
quote:
Originally posted by Riccardus:
I think the general medium-sized-c catholic* position is that we are supposed to respond to God insofar as we are able to. E.g. at the most basic level everyone is aware of some concept of Good, and since we believe that God=Good, our response to our awareness of good is a kind of response to God.

Fair enough -- but that makes a nonsense of justification by faith, doesn't it? If faith is an expression of God's grace, then how is God's grace expressed in those people with no opportunity for faith? By moral character? Doesn't that take us back to Pelagius?

Well, firstly I should warn you that anything I say on the subject will be tentative (and quite likely based on a misunderstanding). But I'm not suggesting anyone can actively choose to be good, which would indeed be Pelagian, or even of themselves choose to want to be good (which would be semi-Pelagian).

This, AIUI, leaves the options of actively choosing to want to be evil - ie resisting God - or not choosing at all but being "quiescent" in will. In the first case God cannot force us without violating our ability to choose; but in the latter case He can, by His grace, infuse in us a desire to be good, which is a form of faith.

This is mostly based on a commentary of Aquinas that I read - I suspect IngoB will soon tell me where I'm wrong, and I suspect the Orthodox may see it a bit differently.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Oh, OK, ta. But did I say at any point that the offer of unconditional forgiveness occurs without these things? The offer of unconditional forgiveness precedes repentance and changed life, to be sure. But it also anticipates and produces repentance and changed life. If God forgives you unconditionally, you live a different life. IIf he doesn't, you don't.

I don't think Jesus (or Paul for that matter) expected any less than a complete turnaround in the lives of those who accepted God's free offer of forgiveness.

This is almost fine with me. So if a complete turnaround is needed, what practical difference does it make whether forgiveness precedes or follows? Does it feel different to the average Joe?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
This is mostly based on a commentary of Aquinas that I read - I suspect IngoB will soon tell me where I'm wrong, and I suspect the Orthodox may see it a bit differently.

Well no, I agree with you, that commentary on Aquinas, and of course Aquinas himself. It's a perfectly orthodox (Orthodox, who knows...) belief which however only makes sense if one adopts the pre-Ockham "classical" idea of freedom. For somebody is bound to ask you soon where there's any choice in all this... Good luck argueing about that.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
It's a perfectly orthodox (Orthodox, who knows...) belief which however only makes sense if one adopts the pre-Ockham "classical" idea of freedom. For somebody is bound to ask you soon where there's any choice in all this... Good luck argueing about that.

Oh no, much better to leave that to the experts [Biased] ...

One question though: granted the pre-Ockham definition of freedom, what is it that God cannot / does not violate if we don't become quiescent in will?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
This, AIUI, leaves the options of actively choosing to want to be evil - ie resisting God - or not choosing at all but being "quiescent" in will. In the first case God cannot force us without violating our ability to choose; but in the latter case He can, by His grace, infuse in us a desire to be good, which is a form of faith.

How does this square with Edmund Burke's saying: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." [Confused]

Or does being "quiescent" involve actively resisting - as you are led by God to do so?

In which case how do you tell if you are being "quiescent" or taking matters into your own hands? [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

I think the answer is that "quiescence" refers to our will's response to moral imperatives, not to our actions. So if there is a moral imperative for us to do something, then by doing nothing we are actively resisting that moral imperative. If we are quiescent with regard to that moral imperative, then we do something.

--------------------

Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually in that last reading from Revelation, there is a clue to just this because of the mention of the "book of life", where (if your name is written) you will certainly be spared from the lake of fire. And how do you get into that book of life? (the $64 question) According to John earlier in Revelation 13:8, this happens before the foundation of the world.

If our names are written in the book of life before the foundation of the world, it follows that our entrance into the Heavenly city can't possibly be because of any decision we've made, or anything we've done, whether good or evil.

What a delightful assurance for a sinner like me!

Gordon, I'm a little confused, wondering if you could explain what you mean.

If the names of those who escape the lake of fire are written in the book of life before the foundation of the world how is that a wonderful assurance. How do we know who's name is in the book?
Or do you mean it's an assurance because no matter what we do it won't affect whether we're in the book or not, which doesn't seem like such a wonderful assurance??

Is that the same as predestination, or is that that the predestined will get the choice of whether to accept salvation, whereas the rest of us won't?
How do you know if you're predestined??

What happens to those who 'accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour', but aren't predestined??

[ 23. January 2006, 23:14: Message edited by: Manda ]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
I think the answer is that "quiescence" refers to our will's response to moral imperatives, not to our actions. So if there is a moral imperative for us to do something, then by doing nothing we are actively resisting that moral imperative. If we are quiescent with regard to that moral imperative, then we do something.

So I guess that it involves a certain amount of guesswork as to which it is in any particular situation.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
How do you know if you're predestined??

This is a more concise method of asking what I was trying to ask before. I think that this is where Calvinism in practice if not in theory historically devolved back into the old testament purity ethic.

Has any branch of Christianity successfully managed to rid itself of the old and deeply held idea that "Good People Go to Heaven and Bad People Go to Hell", for all their talk of grace, faith and justification through the sacrifice of Jesus?

(Apart from universalists, of course. But that's another story...)

ETA: and since there aren't that many universalists around, I guess it is fair to say they failed to.

[ 23. January 2006, 23:44: Message edited by: Demas ]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
quote:

So I guess that it involves a certain amount of guesswork as to which it is in any particular situation.
I think that would be looking at the question back-to-front. If we do good works it is by the grace of God, and so we are being quiescent to His will. So we can tell if we are being quiescent if we know are in fact doing good works.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think that would be looking at the question back-to-front. If we do good works it is by the grace of God, and so we are being quiescent to His will. So we can tell if we are being quiescent if we know we are in fact doing good works.
Umm. And you're not seeing the flaw in that logic? [Paranoid]

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

Yes, I do seem to have made a bit of a hash of that.

But I'm not sure I've understood your question properly. What would "taking matters into your own hands" mean?

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
But I'm not sure I've understood your question properly. What would "taking matters into your own hands" mean?

Well, for example, here I am at work with the usual line-up of people waiting to see me. I can grant their requests or not, as I choose. Do I just go with my heart and assume it is grace? Do I try hard to decide fairly in each case? Do I fumble mechanically through the process and assume it doesn't really matter what I do?

In theory, being a recipient of grace, I am filled with a desire to serve God and my neighbor, and so God gives me the strength to do His will. I guess that's what I feel. But it also feels as though I am trying hard, or shirking, or avoiding the hard parts, or taking on challenges, or losing my temper - or whatever I happen to be doing at the time.

What I'm saying is that I would prefer to think that I am making real choices, from God's grace, and attribute the power for good to God and the power to do evil to myself or to hell.

Either way, we all need to do something. Even if the choices are actually God's, we can't help but go with the appearance that they are ours.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
Do I just go with my heart and assume it is grace? Do I try hard to decide fairly in each case? Do I fumble mechanically through the process and assume it doesn't really matter what I do?

I think the overarching moral imperative is to discern to the best of your ability the right thing to do, if you don't already know it, and then do it.
quote:
What I'm saying is that I would prefer to think that I am making real choices, from God's grace, and attribute the power for good to God and the power to do evil to myself or to hell.
That's probably not far from the position I'm trying to argue. The caveat is that if you choose good, the only bit that is really controlled by you is the decision not to resist God's will. The decision to positively embrace God's will is itself a manifestation of God's will.

The "real choice" that is controlled by you is between resistence / not-resistence.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

That's probably not far from the position I'm trying to argue. The caveat is that if you choose good, the only bit that is really controlled by you is the decision not to resist God's will. The decision to positively embrace God's will is itself a manifestation of God's will.

The "real choice" that is controlled by you is between resistence / not-resistence.

That's fine with me. So where does effort come in? I assume that the effort is really God's, but it appears to be mine. I am obliged, I assume, to put in as much effort as I reasonably can.

--------------------

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so I've read the whole thread now and I still feel like my best course of action is to respond directly to the OP. So here goes. (Need a refresher of the OP? Here...)

quote:
I have been thoroughly confused for years by the faith-and-grace versus works dichotomy. On the one hand I believe that anything that brings us to salvation/reconciliation starts with God. But where do works come in? Are they an automatic out-pouring of the gifts of the Spirit? Are they a loving response to the Love that found us first? Are they part of contrition for our previously sorry selves?

Jesus says that he is the fulfillment of the Law. Paul says he no longer lives under the Law. Yet the NT is full of precepts, admonishments, and rebukes for things done and left undone, seemingly numerous rules and regulations, most reiterating aspects of the Law. It reads like the Law all shined up with a new coat of paint.

<snip>

What if good deeds don't seem to be arising like a fountain from our salvation, if we "try" to make good deeds happen are we just faking it, are they not real good deeds? Does that mean we are the goats who cry "Lord! Lord!" yet aren't up to snuff? Or if we don't live under the Law are we doomed by "For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven"? And if Grace cancels out that hard fate, why did Jesus state he requires such conduct?

I'm going to give my opinion here, and stress strongly that it is my opinion only. It's been formulating over the last several years thinking over the matter, reading, talking, meditating, etc. I think there are firm roots for the position in Scripture and in various "heretics" of history, too, but I'll get to the point.

Two premises provide the foundation for my position.

1) We desperately want to save ourselves.

2) "Good works," or acts of love, or whatever you want to call them, are the foundation for the best way of living and experiencing life, as God created it.

Upon "Preview post," I realize this is extremely long. I've gone though and bolded the most important parts if you would rather just skim. [Smile]

It is my belief that God created us to enjoy him--distinctly NOT to worry about choosing good over evil, etc. I believe that pre-fall (literally or metaphorically, whichever) we simply chose good naturally, without thought. That's what I believe it meant to taste the fruit of the "Knowledge of Good and Evil"--prior to this big mistake we didn't know what they were and had no need to at all.

We wanted knowledge of good and evil so that we could choose good, because we thought we were capable of doing so. God, however, had forbidden us to know because HE knew he hadn't created us with this capacity. His original plan had always been for him to be the one to know what good and evil were, and to choose good things for us to choose between. But we, in our desire to "be like God" to put it one way, wanted to choose for ourselves. Sadly, we weren't created to be able to do this very well. Cue the next several thousand years of mistakes.

But God in his great love for us did not rob us of our hearts' newest desire--and he allowed us to attempt to choose good over evil, and to fail. He even provided the perfect outline of how to do so, calling it the Law. We all know how that worked out for the Hebrews.

After a few of those thousand years of trying and failing, God had seen enough, and decided to give us Grace in the form of Jesus (means God Saves). Naturally, we hated the idea, and killed him. It was an insult to our ability to save ourselves. We don't need your damn charity, God, we're fine thankyouverymuch.

So Jesus spends a LOT of time talking about how our righteousness must exceed that of the Scribes and Pharisees--because if we want to save ourselves like we say we do then that is what God requires. Those who are not capable of this may be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, but still their in the Kingdom, right? And didn't Jesus also say, "The last shall be first," and "Whatever you've done for the LEAST of these," and "I have not come for the healthy but for the sick"? Grace is freely given to all. The works required for salvation that Jesus alludes to are, in my opinion, hyperbole on Jesus' part to illustrate the direness of the situation and to illuminate why it was necessary for him to come and offer Grace, even if it was an insult to our pride.

But my second premise above then illuminates the nature of "good works," I think. Because, just as we love our children dearly and would never reject them, we still ask them to do things for us. Our love for them and our willingness to save them no matter what does not depend on their taking out the trash, but we ask them to do so because it makes the household run smoothly, and it teaches the child about life and how to best live. God gives us things he still wants us to do, not because our salvation depends on it, but because this life matters.

We're not just trying to get to heaven. We're trying to live in such a way that brings out a manifestation of the great Grace which God has provided to us all.

Again, just my semi-formulated and rather long-winded opinion. [Smile]

-Digory

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

quote:
I assume that the effort is really God's, but it appears to be mine. I am obliged, I assume, to put in as much effort as I reasonably can.

I suppose so, with the caveats that our actual contribution is fairly passive, and it's never too late to repent.

Of course this is all a bit abstract. It may well be that what psychologically feels like effort is quiescence. It may well be that I don't know what I'm talking about...

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:
I assume that the effort is really God's, but it appears to be mine. I am obliged, I assume, to put in as much effort as I reasonably can.

I suppose so, with the caveats that our actual contribution is fairly passive, and it's never too late to repent.

Of course this is all a bit abstract. It may well be that what psychologically feels like effort is quiescence. It may well be that I don't know what I'm talking about...

You sound pretty on-top-of-it to me!

I like the idea that what feels like effort is really quiescence. [Angel]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by professorkirke:
God gives us things he still wants us to do, not because our salvation depends on it, but because this life matters.

We're not just trying to get to heaven. We're trying to live in such a way that brings out a manifestation of the great Grace which God has provided to us all.

Digory, thanks for the explanation.

Are you sure that the things required for living a good and happy life in this world, and the things required for living in happiness forever in heaven, are two different sets? Are they unrelated?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016